Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

LRADIKAL posted:

Pure self indulgent speculation.

The best kind of speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Winks posted:

The 9900k is back to $499 on Amazon. Perhaps this says something about stock levels? Like when the stock actually starts showing up I mean.

This also means for anyone that preordered above $499, this should be the 'pre-order guarantee' price.

My pre-order still shows $529 :( Guess I'll call Amazon tonight.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Siets posted:

I remember Postin’ Paul saying that the 9900K was to be the fastest gaming chip for the next 5 or so years. Something about having to switch to CCX architecture and latency getting worse over the next few node shrinks. If that’s still true given the benchmarks we now have, does that make the price tag a bit easier of a pill to swallow?

If you want to rationalize the price difference I’m currently using “it’s more hackintosh compatible” and “Ryzen needs more expensive ram”.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
If ya'll are really thinking about getting 5 years out of this, wouldn't the best bet be to buy the fastest RAM within reason, anyway?

I haven't been able to find a clear answer on this, but what is the likely final for shrink for silicon? 3nm?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
RAM has always been cheap and will forever be cheap. Don't worry about it. Just buy more in the future.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

il serpente cosmico posted:

I haven't been able to find a clear answer on this, but what is the likely final for shrink for silicon? 3nm?

Those numbers haven't really meant much since the switch to finfet. In terms of actual channel length and width between fins and such, TSMC's "7nm" and intels "10nm" were the same thing. It's more a branding term at this point.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Those numbers haven't really meant much since the switch to finfet. In terms of actual channel length and width between fins and such, TSMC's "7nm" and intels "10nm" were the same thing. It's more a branding term at this point.

Right, I remember hearing that the numbers used by the manufacturers no longer matched reality, but I am more curious in the absolute sense. How many more shrinks is Intel planning before they to need to switch to more exotic materials?

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

If ya'll are really thinking about getting 5 years out of this, wouldn't the best bet be to buy the fastest RAM within reason, anyway?

Around 3000/3200 Intel chips hit a hard wall of diminishing returns in almost every application. It's not worth it.

e: My experience with Amazon price guarantees is that it charges your card the lowest price upon shipping, not while you're waiting for it to ship.

Winks fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 24, 2018

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

rage-saq posted:

My pre-order still shows $529 :( Guess I'll call Amazon tonight.

Welp now the i9-9900k doesn't exist on amazons page anymore. My preorder is still listed.
wtf

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Siets posted:

I remember Postin’ Paul saying that the 9900K was to be the fastest gaming chip for the next 5 or so years. Something about having to switch to CCX architecture and latency getting worse over the next few node shrinks. If that’s still true given the benchmarks we now have, does that make the price tag a bit easier of a pill to swallow?

It is the fastest gaming chip, but the temps are absolutely out of control. If you can push it to 5.2 or 5.3 it's gonna be nuts in both the performance and mobo requirement and temperature sense.

You pretty much need to delid it to OC, which apparently isn't as big a deal as you would think since the solder is softer than what they used before (and less likely to crack the die when delidding). SiliconLottery is doing it. They think it drops it 7C from delidding+LM and 9C from delidding+lapping+LM. Given the delidding success rates between der8auer, GN, and SL, and the new solder, I don't think delidding will increase in price that significantly. I'll throw out $150 as a completely uninformed number for delid+lap, or just $100 for delid - mostly to pay for the delidding failures on a 9900K that is vastly more expensive.

I think it'll have a packaging update like Haswell did. This isn't sustainable in the face of Zen2 and Intel doesn't have poo poo for at least 18 months imo. Maybe 12 months at a super rush. What can you fix? Packaging. That is an argument against buying now - you'll end up with the 4770K instead of the 4790K.

If you're not OC'ing and have a good setup, I don't think you need to worry. And that's the good news here, Intel is actually pushing their clocks out of the box. 4.7 all-core/5.0 2-core is pretty decent. This beats the poo poo out of the 2700X's performance at the same power consumption (non-AVX tasks) according to TPU/ComputerBase/OC3D/TechReport/etc, it's ~20% faster in productivity or synthetic gaming (720p) tasks. It still beats the 8086K/8700K. You'll run in the 70s at stock clocks, with a good cooler. That's fine, same as you would get on a 2700X with XFR2. You just need to be ready if you're going to push onto the shoulder of the voltage curve there (although it's still gentler than AMD's). From what I've read, in actual gaming, the 9900K is not a problem. Just productivity.

fwiw the OC thermal performance does make this a super bitter pill to swallow and I'm looking at keeping my 5820K and just pushing the poo poo out of it instead. Same as a 2600X more or less, slightly higher IPC than Ryzen (2000), equal/higher clocks than ryzen, and I managed to buy a retail EVGA FTW K X99 board from EVGA for $100 a couple weeks ago to rebuild that system, so a lot less than upgrading to a decent mobo+9900K. Weighing my options, may still go with the 9900K.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 24, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

9900k vs 8700k in 15 Games with a 2080ti

Stock
https://youtu.be/3QXzZx7xkus

Both at 5 GHz
https://youtu.be/FwIBrNcpjZA

I wish some more reputable sites did the same tests.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

Yup. If anyone hasn't seen the effects, here's a relevant clip...

I feel like this guy is about to tell me to leave 1 mil in unmarked sequential bills behind a trash can if I ever want to see my wife again.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

eames posted:

I don't since 9900K "stock" doesn't mean jack unless they made triple sure total package power was limited to 95W on both CPUs (*and voltages are not hosed up asrock style).
Since they don't mention anything of that sort, stock in this case means the default/auto setting of whatever mobo they used which can be anything.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Arivia posted:

I feel like this guy is about to tell me to leave 1 mil in unmarked sequential bills behind a trash can if I ever want to see my wife again.

Yeah, it's a pretty goddamn creepy voice filter he's using, but at least the video is to-the-point.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
e: derp

ufarn fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 24, 2018

Llyd
Oct 9, 2012
Anandtech did a price analysis per region:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13470/intel-coffee-lake-refresh-availability

And the data shows.... prices in Europe are utterly hosed.
I'll see if I can snatch a 9700K at a reasonable price after the fall holidays.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Paul MaudDib posted:

Weighing my options, may still go with the 9900K.

I think I'm going to go with the 9900K as well, but I'm going to make it a "Linus' Special." It seems like what's putting these things over the top thermally is the extra threads - so until those threads are needed/properly utilized, I'm going to run the thing with HyperThreading disabled. That might sound like a waste of money, but honestly the extra 4MB of L3 is worth the price of admission for me over a 9700K, in addition to the *ability* to add extra processing capability in the future if I ever decide to go with a custom loop, seeing as I'll have a proper case for it.

I think I'll call doing this the "9750K" method.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think I'm going to go with the 9900K as well, but I'm going to make it a "Linus' Special." It seems like what's putting these things over the top thermally is the extra threads - so until those threads are needed/properly utilized, I'm going to run the thing with HyperThreading disabled. That might sound like a waste of money, but honestly the extra 4MB of L3 is worth the price of admission for me over a 9700K, in addition to the *ability* to add extra processing capability in the future if I ever decide to go with a custom loop, seeing as I'll have a proper case for it.

I think I'll call doing this the "9750K" method.

It's the cpu the 9700K should have been

eames
May 9, 2009

I think the non-K SKUs will be interesting this time around, seeing how overclocking is becoming less and less useful and factory/turbo clocks are pretty aggressive already.

Somebody (:iiam:) leaked Icelake Geekbench scores on the day after the 10nm media rumors... doubled L2 cache, 50% larger L1D cache, >10% IPC increase. :salt:

https://translate.google.com/transl...t-text=&act=url

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

eames posted:

9900k vs 8700k in 15 Games with a 2080ti

Stock
https://youtu.be/3QXzZx7xkus

Both at 5 GHz
https://youtu.be/FwIBrNcpjZA

Huh, I wonder why the 8700k generally beats or matches the 9900k when clocked the same? Still waiting on that DF review.

Those Forza Horizon 4 numbers are way out of line with results from the in-game benchmark, so I'm curious what their methodology is. 1440p at Max settings with this setup should be around 105-110 FPS in the benchmark, and they're hitting 150+.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 24, 2018

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

nice clock

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

eames posted:

I think the non-K SKUs will be interesting this time around, seeing how overclocking is becoming less and less useful and factory/turbo clocks are pretty aggressive already.

Somebody (:iiam:) leaked Icelake Geekbench scores on the day after the 10nm media rumors... doubled L2 cache, 50% larger L1D cache, >10% IPC increase. :salt:

https://translate.google.com/transl...t-text=&act=url
Sustained turbo could also have been improved so it'd be more like 8% actual next iteration of Core + 7% better turbo.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 24, 2018

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Lol I bet non-k turbo speeds will be gimped to further milk market segmentation.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

eames posted:

The CPU guys haven't been asleep. They just worked on future stuff and never backported. It didn't make business sense to be putting much work into an old node that you'll be off of any year now. Especially when AMD wasn't doing a drat thing, and when they finally were you were still going to be one step ahead of them. Except now you aren't due to delays.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 24, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Llyd posted:

Anandtech did a price analysis per region:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13470/intel-coffee-lake-refresh-availability

And the data shows.... prices in Europe are utterly hosed.
I'll see if I can snatch a 9700K at a reasonable price after the fall holidays.
It's literally cheaper to fly to the US and smuggle the CPU back in your butt.

eames
May 9, 2009

Huh, I wonder why the 8700k generally beats or matches the 9900k when clocked the same? Still waiting on that DF review.

In theory it may be possible that the additional latency from completely unused cores on the ringbus affects performance, but flawed testing methodology seems much more likely. Two more cores physical cores should and will always boost performance unless the engine doesn't scale _at all_. Maybe it's also something related to spectre/meltdown fixes.

Otakufag posted:

Lol I bet non-k turbo speeds will be gimped to further milk market segmentation.

Old Intel would do that but it could backfire when Zen2 is released.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
GamersNexus wrote up a 9900K delidding guide. They gained 4.5 degrees over the solder without sanding down the die. They did sand down the IHS though and say that doing so is pretty much necessary, since without that step the surface won't be smooth enough for the liquid metal to stick to.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Kinda interesting that no one bats an eye when Intel claims more than 10% IPC over a generation, but when AMD does it, people are going "hell no".

eames
May 9, 2009

Asus Z390 motherboards inject software into fresh W10 installations via UEFI. :bravo:

techpowerup posted:

During testing for our Intel Core i9-9900K review we found out that new ASUS Z390 motherboards automatically install software and drivers to your Windows 10 System, without the need for network access, and without any user knowledge or confirmation. This process happens in complete network-isolation (i.e. the machine has no Internet or LAN access). Our Windows 10 image is based on Windows 10 April 2018 Update and lacks in-built drivers for the integrated network controllers.

Upon first boot, with the machine having no LAN or Internet connectivity, we were greeted by an ASUS-specific window in the bottom right corner of our screen, asking whether we'd like to install the network drivers and download "Armoury Crate". This got us curious and we scanned the system for any files that aren't part of the standard MS Windows installation. We discovered three ASUS-signed files in our Windows 10 System32 folder, which, so it seems, magically appeared on our harddrive out of thin air. Upon further investigation we also found a new, already running, system service called "AsusUpdateCheck."
[...]
We poked and prodded with the service a bit. Deleting the files (and/or the service) simply restores them at the next reboot. Clicking "cancel" in the first instance of the pop-up doesn't end the service, which keeps running in the background until you manually disable it (and it comes back at next reboot). The only way you can ensure the files stay deleted is by disabling the "ASUS Armoury Crate" option in the UEFI setup program, which disables the ACPI-WPBT table.

https://www.techpowerup.com/248827/asus-z390-motherboards-automatically-push-software-into-your-windows-installation

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Wow. I was on the fence between ASUS and ASRock. Looks like I chose wisely.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Gyrotica posted:

Wow. I was on the fence between ASUS and ASRock. Looks like I chose wisely.

It's a user-configurable setting doing exactly what it was designed for. Who gives a poo poo.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Right, I remember hearing that the numbers used by the manufacturers no longer matched reality, but I am more curious in the absolute sense. How many more shrinks is Intel planning before they to need to switch to more exotic materials?

I don't think we will really know until we get there because ultimately it has a lot to do with cost, each successive node gets more expensive and transistors/$ isn't scaling up like it used to. At some point it will stop making economic sense to go further with silicon but I don't think we can really say when that will be yet.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I would find this extremely useful. I'd definitely choose Asus over ASRock if only for this feature. Since it can be disabled, there is absolutely no reason to get upset about it.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That does seem like a sensationalist thing, there have been built in software things since at least 2010. It seems like they made them more explicit this generation like when Nvidia changed their error reporting service to say telemetry. It's been there forever, but CHANGE I hate it!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Network drivers being bundled onboard the motherboard itself is loving genius and avoids a step that you are inevitably going to forget (downloading the drivers onto an USB stick on a different computer, and if you don't have a different computer or a USB stick handy you get to feel really stupid), and you can turn it off with the flip of a switch after you've used it and don't want the other Asus bloatware, so this is in fact cool & good.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 24, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm not into my motherboard automatically installing poo poo. At least they're not using it for spyware, Lenovo-style.

craig588 posted:

That does seem like a sensationalist thing, there have been built in software things since at least 2010. It seems like they made them more explicit this generation like when Nvidia changed their error reporting service to say telemetry. It's been there forever, but CHANGE I hate it!

I've never seen this on anything but laptops/pre-builts. And even there, it seems rare.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Its extremely rare that Win 10 doesn't have built in drivers for NICs anymore. I never have to mess with any of that. Load 10, boot up, allow updates to install all drivers.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have an Asus P67 (which is actually 2011 not 2010, so I was off by a year) that has built in software stuff. I think the introduction of UEFI coincided with tiny onboard storage on motherboards.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 24, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You can't have a UEFI system without onboard storage of significant size compared to old style BIOS settings storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

TheFluff posted:

Network drivers being bundled onboard the motherboard itself is loving genius and avoids a step that you are inevitably going to forget (downloading the drivers onto an USB stick on a different computer, and if you don't have a different computer or a USB stick handy you get to feel really stupid), and you can turn it off with the flip of a switch after you've used it and don't want the other Asus bloatware, so this is in fact cool & good.

I will cop to having a dumb knee-jerk first response.