Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
gamers are all dogs, thats why they dont look up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

quite stretched out posted:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

quite stretched out posted:

Then games need to put in the mysterious noises in my attic, because that makes my dog look up 100% guaranteed

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lechtansi posted:

The new spiderman game did this really well. The initial cutscene is of Spidey swinging around and it just naturally pans into you having control and it says "Press R2 to swing" and then bam, your swinging. It slowly adds other things on top of it. I feel like videogames have gotten pretty good at adding tools you your toolbox one at a time.

Speaking of Spider-Man, I recently replayed the game on the new Ultimate difficulty, and drat, that first part where you leap out of your apartment to a bright New York day, upbeat music playing while you soar through the air chasing a helicopter is just so high energy and awesome to experience again that it put a huge smile on my face. Like, yeah I'm back baby.

Especially after playing through the AC Origins DLC, getting back into the web slinging of Spider-Man is just so liberating.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Anachronox has a great bit about this. You're dealing with an information broker who knows all sort of secrets most people don't even dream about. When you finish his quest line you get to ask him what his secret is and he tells you, as he spreads his wings and soars above everyone, "When was the last time you looked up?"

Kinda hosed me up when I was younger.
Anachronox is such an amazing game. I don't think there's been another American game like it, ever. Even with how the development got screwed over, it was still a great experience from start to finish.

My favourite lil thing is undoubtably that as part of the main plot, you have to find an incredibly disgusting and smelly sock to give to a person to chew. That game got the levels of silly/serious absolutely perfect

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lechtansi posted:

The new spiderman game did this really well. The initial cutscene is of Spidey swinging around and it just naturally pans into you having control and it says "Press R2 to swing" and then bam, your swinging. It slowly adds other things on top of it. I feel like videogames have gotten pretty good at adding tools you your toolbox one at a time.

It also allows you to just start doing web zips and point launches if you want to. I like that it doesn't restrict you because "YOU NEED TO LEARN OUR WAY!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cythereal posted:

And as far as learned responses in video games go, 90% of the time there is nothing on the ceiling, or at most a pre-generated skybox. I have seen games where the player is trained to regularly look up, mainly in games with full 3D movement. But most games don't, and so the trick becomes having to draw the player's attention upwards when normally there's no reason for them to look up.

You also need to make/train them to look up because looking up takes a bit of effort with POV and camera controls. Using a mouse it's not an issue but using a controller I'm not going to look straight up without a reason.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

StrixNebulosa posted:

Then games need to put in the mysterious noises in my attic, because that makes my dog look up 100% guaranteed

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That's like how the most useful tool in Deus Ex 1 is the rocket launcher (sorry, GEP gun) because in addition to being a heinously powerful weapon it's also a lockpick, safecracker, doorbuster, and general "I want to go this way but there's a flimsy barrier in the way" fixer.

It makes you realize in retrospect how many games block your path with barriers that in any reasonable world you'd be able to trivially bypass with the vast array of tools the game provides to you.

Yeah, this me when I play a JRPG and encounter a locked steel door. I'm level 74 and I can beat four dragons in under two minutes, surely one of my party members is strong enough to tear a door out of the wall!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

In the Resident Evil remake, your tactical police character comes across a loose doorknob on one side of the door.

Kicking down the door, shooting it with a grenade launcher, or even propping it open is not an option. You have to conserve doorknob uses – from that side of the door only. The other side is fine.

Later on in the game, your partner somehow fixes the door, solving the rationing issue. How he does so is never explained.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, this me when I play a JRPG and encounter a locked steel door. I'm level 74 and I can beat four dragons in under two minutes, surely one of my party members is strong enough to tear a door out of the wall!

There's a reason one of the first jokes any webcomic lampooning jRPGs would use is 'oh no there's a stick in the middle of the path we'll have to find another way!'

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lechtansi posted:

Games that can communicate everything you need to do without any button prompts whatsoever are the ideal but that doesn’t necessarily work for every genre.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

John Murdoch posted:

It still annoys me that Dead Space's whole goddamn gimmick is literally spelled out in bloody graffiti directly above where you pick up the plasma cutter, before you can even fire a single shot at a Necromorph.

It's actually spelled out 4 different times in quick succession. In addition to finding a dead guy who has written "CUT OFF THEIR LIMBS" on the wall in presumably his own blood, you find a text log about cutting off limbs, then you receive an audio call from one of your teammates about cutting off limbs, and finally you get interrupted by an out-of-context popup telling you to cut off limbs.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

haveblue posted:

It's actually spelled out 4 different times in quick succession. In addition to finding a dead guy who has written "CUT OFF THEIR LIMBS" on the wall in presumably his own blood, you find a text log about cutting off limbs, then you receive an audio call from one of your teammates about cutting off limbs, and finally you get interrupted by an out-of-context popup telling you to cut off limbs.

To be fair 99.9% of games teach you to aim at the head, so they probably should make sure the player gets it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

haveblue posted:

These were probably all added in playtesting as people couldn’t figure out what to do.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

exquisite tea posted:

These were probably all added in playtesting as people couldn’t figure out what to do.

"Mike, they're still stuck" "gently caress!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

After watching that guy get stuck for 20 minutes trying to double jump in the Cuphead tutorial, I take nothing for granted.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

After watching that guy get stuck for 20 minutes trying to double jump in the Cuphead tutorial, I take nothing for granted.

Oh my god, watching that was physically painful.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Remember that Nier review? The one where the guy just decided that the giant red x he'd been following up till that point wasn't right and spent a long time fishing in the closest water?

These are the people who need poo poo spelled out for them in the plainest most obtrusive way possible.

There's a boardgame I played once where your HP was represented by a d6. You lost health you ticked it down a number. It has a long sentence about how you do not tick from 1-6 and start over. That should be obvious but apparently not.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Anachronox is such an amazing game. I don't think there's been another American game like it, ever. Even with how the development got screwed over, it was still a great experience from start to finish.

My favourite lil thing is undoubtably that as part of the main plot, you have to find an incredibly disgusting and smelly sock to give to a person to chew. That game got the levels of silly/serious absolutely perfect

Didn’t they patch in a sped-up mode too because combat animations were driving people nuts?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Len posted:

Remember that Nier review? The one where the guy just decided that the giant red x he'd been following up till that point wasn't right and spent a long time fishing in the closest water?

The problem with Nier's fishing game isn't that, it's that the instuctions in the manual are exactly wrong, and in fact the opposite of what you need to do.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

In that particular instance it's actually the guy that gives you the fishing rod tells you that you need to go to "that beach over there" to get the fish you need. The beach that he is literally standing next to isn't the right beach but another beach that you reach by back-tracking a little and going through a cave off to the side. The beach that he's standing next to has either no fish whatsoever or only drops junk (I forget which). Although the correct beach is marked on your minimap if you look at it.

It's definitely a troll on the part of Cavia or Yoko Taro.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I remember that from the LP. If you don't think to immediately check your map there's nothing to tell you that you have to use one specific fishing spot and not the most obvious and convenient one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay but who doesn't immediately go "let's check the minimap to see where exactly he meant"?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay but who doesn't immediately go "let's check the minimap to see where exactly he meant"?
Many people.

Hell, when I played NieR, I already knew that there is SOME fuckery with the fishing, so I was extra careful, and thought maybe the fuckery is that he says "beach" but actually you're supposed to fish at the pier you start out on, because fishing at a pier is more sensible than at a beach anyway. So I tried it at the pier futilely a few times, double super tricking myself into doing the wrong thing.

Also I had to look up the fishing controls themselves because they are super easy but completely wrongly explained. The game says you should hit A at the correct time or whatever when ALL you have to do is angle the stick opposite to where daddy Nier is leaning and let the bar run out. You can hit A on the last 15% of it or so to make it go quicker, but if you hit A too early, you instantly gently caress up. It's really dumb.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

My Lovely Horse posted:

People who are used to games that tell you the correct course of action in plain terms, presumably.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm surprised that people read the line "fish at the beach" as the whole reason a bunch of games do hand holding "go here you stupid mother fucker" with a giant light coming down from the heavens marking where you need to go is because gamers can't be assed to read dialogue.

E: I imagine all gamers are like DarkSydePhil

Leal has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Oct 24, 2018

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Think of it this way: have you ever noticed that most of the consoles being sold on Craigslist come with like, 1-2 hunting and fishing games, either a basketball, football, or soccer game, and like, a shooter or driving game?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the very weird quirks about humanity is that we just kind of don't look up unless there's a reason to. Like...we just don't.

Which is one reason the developer commentary is interesting as is talking about playtesting. Like the ladder that falls apart in Portal? That was put there to make you look up. That's literally its entire purpose. That puzzle originally didn't have the ladder and apparently testers would just kind of be baffled at that little square room and poke around for some sort of secret or whatever. The secret was not a secret at all; you just had to look up.

So the devs put a ladder in that immediately broke to say "go this way you dumb poo poo." Like what do you do with ladders? You climb them! Why is there a ladder here? Because people had to go up! But oh no, the ladder just broke! What ever will you do?!?

Nearly 8 years after the WoW expansion Wrath of the Lich King came out, I noticed that there is open sky in one of the dungeons because a hair got in the way of my mouse laser and it made me look up. Then my DM in my D&D game kept dropping spiders on me, and I started looking up in that. Then another WoW dungeon came out with spiders on the ceiling, and my party was stumped as to where they kept coming from, until I looked up and saw them on the ceiling, just waiting for you to walk under them.

To keep with the thread, something I'm really enjoying in the new Assassin's Creed is the side-eye Kassandra will give people who are being little shits. Especially Sokrates. She's constantly giving him stank eye when he's not looking, and I love it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ariong posted:

People who are used to games that tell you the correct course of action in plain terms, presumably.
I mostly let dialogue wash over me, I guess. Don't get me wrong, I care a lot about a game's story, but when it comes to "where go next" that's what the beacons are for. This way I can ignore it while I knock out 1000 sidequests.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kruller posted:

To keep with the thread, something I'm really enjoying in the new Assassin's Creed is the side-eye Kassandra will give people who are being little shits. Especially Sokrates. She's constantly giving him stank eye when he's not looking, and I love it.

I haven't gotten Odyssey yet, but I like how everyone seemed to agree that there is no male player character choice, because gently caress that guy, Kassandra's awesome.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

To be fair 99.9% of games teach you to aim at the head, so they probably should make sure the player gets it.

Yeah, I was really sad that you never had the option to write that stuff on the walls.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Veotax posted:

In that particular instance it's actually the guy that gives you the fishing rod tells you that you need to go to "that beach over there" to get the fish you need. The beach that he is literally standing next to isn't the right beach but another beach that you reach by back-tracking a little and going through a cave off to the side. The beach that he's standing next to has either no fish whatsoever or only drops junk (I forget which). Although the correct beach is marked on your minimap if you look at it.

The nearby beach only allows you to catch something after you finish that mission, if you try while the quest is active it's an instant failure every time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Veotax posted:

The beach that he's standing next to has either no fish whatsoever or only drops junk (I forget which). Although the correct beach is marked on your minimap if you look at it.

Actually it's even worse, it has fish but they're extremely high level and therefore nearly impossible to catch at that point in the game. So you end up thinking you just suck at the fishing minigame.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

OutOfPrint posted:

I haven't gotten Odyssey yet, but I like how everyone seemed to agree that there is no male player character choice, because gently caress that guy, Kassandra's awesome.

The male character does appear in the game as your brainwashed nemesis-brother, and he fits the psychopath-manchild role ala Kylo Ren surprisingly well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OutOfPrint posted:

Sadly, I suspect it's going to be like Mass Effect: everyone talks about FemShep, but then Bioware posts the statistics and only 10% of players choose FemShep and three quarters of all players use the default male soldier with no customization.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Sadly, I suspect it's going to be like Mass Effect: everyone talks about FemShep, but then Bioware posts the statistics and only 10% of players choose FemShep and three quarters of all players use the default male soldier with no customization.

I'll be playing the dude, but only cause my gf is already playing as Kassandra, and I want to see what's different.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Morpheus posted:

I'll be playing the dude, but only cause my gf is already playing as Kassandra, and I want to see what's different.

Nothing except the voice acting. Everyone's a switch hitter in the Aegean.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Nothing except the voice acting. Everyone's a switch hitter in the Aegean.

drat, really did their historical research this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Barudak posted:

drat, really did their historical research this time

When a guy runs off screaming that you killed his mother and hosed his father, having freshly gone blind from the revelation after he was the guy who initially hired you in the first place, and cursing your name to the gods... Yeah, that can happen with either gender.