Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Only instead of lead shavings it's hot coffee?

Thermos would contain the hot coffee better than a mug, probably, unlike lead shavings getting up in the electronics guts.

That space pen/pencil story bugs me because it's all about the "drat eggheads and their fancy pants gizmos!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Pencils are bad in space anyways, the shavings or broken leads can spread everywhere making a mess at best and risking a short or a fire at worst. Grease pencils are safer than that but they smudge.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
The real real problem was that the astronauts were drawing dicks everywhere so they invented a pen that couldn't write on spacecraft panels.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

The real real problem was that the astronauts were drawing dicks everywhere so they invented a pen that couldn't write on spacecraft panels.

Little known fact: this joint US-USSR policy is what led to the Soyuz 11 tragedy. Analysis of the FDR revealed that Patsayev's last words, after a lengthy and heated argument with RKA Mission Control, were "THE RUSSIANS USED A DREMEL".

:(

E: They probably would have made it back safely but Comrade-Cosmonaut Patsayev was a perfectionist and had to go back to add hairs to the scrot.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 24, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I still remember this clip from The West Wing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R9kH_HOUXM

The Navy nixed smoking in 2010 on submarines, but to my knowledge, every ashtray that was on subs before the ban was metal. So all this nice dialog for nothing.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Back Hack posted:

I don't think the Air Force isn't going to have much of a story about why they needed that unique brand of coffee maker and how it saved 'merica.

Plane was designed 30 years ago (40?).
Aviation company made/procured a few hundred 'sets' of galley equipment and spares based on a 20 year expected use.
25 years later spares are expired, planes are expected to remain in operation for 20 more years.
Maintenance dude sees that a cup handle broke, orders new cup handle. Cup handle order rejected as unable to be fulfilled.
Maintenance dude orders whole new cup. Order completes.
Supply officer misses $1200 replacement cost cryptically described line item in spreadsheet tracking 28000 different piece parts with $200 million total budget.
Other crews notice Crew A has cup with handle after they smuggly wave it out the window and make dumb videos about it to Sail by AWOLNATION. Everyone orders new cups.
Supply officer say's, What the gently caress is this > $300,000 order for, "Potable fluid chamber, thermal vacuum, sealed x 300 ea poo poo?"
Some admin geek somewhere in the chain leaks story to make a couple of bucks try and still fail to get into reporters pants.
Media attention forces a 3 star and staff to resolve issue immediately, delaying other critical planning
Staff options:
1. Redesign galley to use COTS cup, RoM cost from Boeing/General Dynamics/Northrop Grumman all agree minimum 1.2 billion USD
2. Deprecate use of cup - risk noted that that crews use Mr. Coffee hacked into aircraft maintenance panel with high loss of crew readiness hours due to scalds and burns also high likelihood of eventual aircraft loss due to electrical fire. Estimated cost 18.7 billion USD over 20 years in lost hours, airframes and cargo
3. Reopen original production line to generate more spares. RoM cost $220 million in tools and machining
4. Punt and hire R&D firm to resolve issue on a 'Highest Priority' drop everything and solve this issue open ended 'back up the money truck' T&M contract
#4 selected as it's the easiest path forward and can be seen to be 'resolving issue' immediately.
Engineering contractor firm is hired to resolve issue, charges $400,000 in Time and Materials* to generate a CAD drawing for a thermal printer to make the handle.
$0.50 for each future replacement part.

* 3 months time each Program Manager, Technical Director, Mechanical Engineer, 3D printer operator, Test engineer, Integration Engineer. Materials cost: Software licenses, Tech support, environmental test facility rental, lot of aviation grade raw materials, 20 $1200 cups to make sure it fits and run the testing with

Murgos fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 24, 2018

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I still remember this clip from The West Wing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R9kH_HOUXM

The Navy nixed smoking in 2010 on submarines, but to my knowledge, every ashtray that was on subs before the ban was metal. So all this nice dialog for nothing.

Yeah, it's like the design of the Bradley part in Pentagon Wars - it's a hilarious bit and great to watch but had little to do with reality. The parts about it being silly or dangerous to stick a turret w/cannon and ATGM launcher on it always stuck out as something the M113 Gavin dude would complain about or something. It was a lot less crazy sounding knowing the Soviets had already done exactly that with the BMP for a decade prior to the Bradley and the package was already a proven concept. LOL at the idea of a turret getting your APC wrecked harder than it would have otherwise on a battlefield, somehow.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 24, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Added bonus:

given that it took this long to figure out a handle solution, whether it be "get over it," or designing a new handle, as they have done now, people whose cups are legitimately wholly broken and nonfunctional are hosed:

quote:

In a Tuesday interview, Air Mobility Command spokesman Col. Chris Karns said that units that try to requisition a new hot cup through the Air Force supply system will receive a message telling them “Do not order until further notice.”

But this right here is the real difference between USAF and army culture:

quote:

But the solution isn’t as simple as buying pilots Thermoses for their coffee, he said. The heaters are also used to warm up food such as soup or noodles. Aircraft such as the KC-10 regularly fly lengthy missions of 10 hours or more while deployed, he said, and can sometimes take as long as 17 or 18 hours. This means the air crew need some way to heat up food and beverages in-flight, and a Thermos filled up with coffee before takeoff might not stay warm long enough, he said.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hauldren Collider posted:

Why is avgas still leaded?

Because a significant number of aviation engines need 100-octane fuel. Not all of them, but enough that you can't just stop making it. Ethanol could be used as an octane booster, but ethanol is hygroscopic. In a car that doesn't mean a whole lot, in an airplane it means that you get water in your fuel lines which then turns to ice at high altitude and now your engine stopped working .

The GA community is extremely conservative when it comes to engines. Partly this is because the things need to work as near as 100% of the time as possible, partly this is because you don't want to wind up somewhere where nobody knows how to turn a wrench on your fancy new engine, partly this is because the FAA certification process for an engine is expensive as gently caress and so the manufacturers aren't going to iterate designs like they can with automobiles. So basically avgas is still leaded because we don't have a simple drop-in replacement for it that can be mixed in any ratio with 100LL and still work perfectly.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I figured, also notable is the person's lack of reading comprehension or logic. My OP was "Given [Mission], why not use the M-2 or Stryker?" named only because they comprise the mainstay of the US Army's kit for that sorta role, and could git through a Stargate.

Well now I'm wondering how a Bradley's armour would stand up to Staff weapon fire? :shrug:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Added bonus:

given that it took this long to figure out a handle solution, whether it be "get over it," or designing a new handle, as they have done now, people whose cups are legitimately wholly broken and nonfunctional are hosed:

But this right here is the real difference between USAF and army culture:

Can't use a MRE flameless heater in a plane.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Can't use a MRE flameless heater in a plane.

I know

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you give the pilots cold coffee they might realize that 2000 hours of flying in circles 18 hours at a time makes them eligible for a job at a mainline airline!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Why isn't there some engineering firm on contract to come up with edge case solutions and thus cheaper in the long run because presumably it's like 6 guys in the DOD's basement who just work on silly ideas all day?

Like some kind of skunk works.

Deptfordx posted:

Well now I'm wondering how a Bradley's armour would stand up to Staff weapon fire? :shrug:

Probably very well. Body armor did nothing until they invented a special absorbing material to slide into their combat vests, but the staffs have usually been described as being a "terror weapon" and not as effective as the P90(???) at doing damage/killing; and whenever we see them shot at walls or metals and stone or even wood they don't do much more than scorch/burn and don't pierce at all.

Of course in a universe where the US army was bringing in heavy armor brigades through the gate realistically the Jaffa/Go'uold would also likely have heavy fighting vehicles as well and it is only out of writing and budgetary reasons that they don't.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 24, 2018

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Murgos posted:

Aviation company made/procured a few hundred 'sets' of galley equipment and spares based on a 20 year expected use.
25 years later spares are expired, planes are expected to remain in operation for 20 more years.
Maintenance dude sees that a cup handle broke, orders new cup handle. Cup handle order rejected as unable to be fulfilled.
Supply officer misses $1200 replacement cost cryptically described line item in spreadsheet tracking 28000 different piece parts with $200 million total budget.
Other crews notice Crew A has cup with handle after they smuggly wave it out the window and make dumb videos about it to Sail by AWOLNATION. Everyone orders new cups.
Supply officer say's, What the gently caress is this > $300,000 order for, "Potable fluid chamber, thermal vacuum, sealed x 300 ea poo poo?"
Some admin geek somewhere in the chain leaks story to make a couple of bucks try and still fail to get into reporters pants.
Media attention forces a 3 star and staff to resolve issue immediately, delaying other critical planning
Staff options:
1. Redesign galley to use COTS cup, RoM cost from Boeing/General Dynamics/Northrop Grumman all agree minimum 1.2 billion USD
2. Deprecate use of cup - risk noted that that crews use Mr. Coffee hacked into aircraft maintenance panel with high loss of crew readiness hours due to scalds and burns also high likelihood of eventual aircraft loss due to electrical fire. Estimated cost 18.7 billion USD over 20 years in lost hours, airframes and cargo
3. Reopen original production line to generate more spares. RoM cost $220 million in tools and machining
4. Punt and hire R&D firm to resolve issue on a 'Highest Priority' drop everything and solve this issue open ended 'back up the money truck' T&M contract
#4 selected as it's the easiest path forward and can be seen to be 'resolving issue' immediately.
Engineering contractor firm is hired to resolve issue, charges $400,000 in Time and Materials* to generate a CAD drawing for a thermal printer to make the handle.

* 3 months time each Program Manager, Technical Director, Mechanical Engineer, 3D printer operator, Test engineer, Integration Engineer. Materials cost: Software licenses, Tech support, environmental test facility rental, lot of aviation grade raw materials, 20 $1200 cups to make sure it fits and run the testing with

Well that's real life

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Phanatic posted:

Because a significant number of aviation engines need 100-octane fuel. Not all of them, but enough that you can't just stop making it. Ethanol could be used as an octane booster, but ethanol is hygroscopic. In a car that doesn't mean a whole lot, in an airplane it means that you get water in your fuel lines which then turns to ice at high altitude and now your engine stopped working .

The GA community is extremely conservative when it comes to engines. Partly this is because the things need to work as near as 100% of the time as possible, partly this is because you don't want to wind up somewhere where nobody knows how to turn a wrench on your fancy new engine, partly this is because the FAA certification process for an engine is expensive as gently caress and so the manufacturers aren't going to iterate designs like they can with automobiles. So basically avgas is still leaded because we don't have a simple drop-in replacement for it that can be mixed in any ratio with 100LL and still work perfectly.

I think the number is something like 20% of the GA fleet is incompatible with anything less than 100LL, and that 20% of the fleet burns something like 80-90% of the yearly 100LL production. Many many many small GA engines were originally certified on 80 octane, and will run fine on mogas or UL94/91, which is aviation-specific. But those engines burn a relatively small amount of fuel, making a dedicated UL94 distribution network prohibitively expensive.

There are several competing groups working towards 100UL options that the FAA would be willing to issue an STC for, but the FAA is being characteristically hyper-conservative, and doesn’t want to do anything without direct marching orders from congress, or a lead-ban from the EPA. All of the options have different properties, one of which is using a TEL replacement, methyl manganese.

Amusingly, there is a single chemical plant still producing TEL, in Liverpool England; It is literally a single-point failure. If the plant goes out of service for any reason, anyone not burning Jet-A or running a mogas STC will be hosed, possibly for years.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I may also be dealing with a limited sample size here as far as where I've been, but it feels like most of the small airports that offer fuel only have a menu of 100LL, Jet-A, or gently caress You.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Murgos posted:

Staff options:

Woah there, cowboy, you should be pitching your sequel to Pentagon War 2: Hot Coffee to HBO, not us nerds on the internet.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Murgos posted:

Sail by AWOLNATION

:perfect:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Phanatic posted:

The tow plane for my club went through the conversion to automotive gas. It took several years starting with replacing tubing and seals to handle small amounts of ethanol. Then came the certification process including a test flight program. Only after the certification we could really start using it and find any of the possible issues. The latest problem I've heard about was, as I understood it, that during a hot weather the gasoline started vaporizing in the bends at fuel lines before carburator. They tried to fix this by straightening the bends in fuel lines, but I'm not sure if they managed to completely solve the issue, just raised the temperature where it starts to occur. That tow plane is a story of its own, it's probably the plane with most flights still flying. Few years ago it reached 100 000 flights and this year it celebrated 50 years of flying.

MrYenko mentioned the supply issue. Your plane is now allowed to use 98E5 and all you need is the fuel. You might order a tanker truck like any gas station like any gas station, but apparently that doesn't work. Tankers don't have pumps because gas station tanks are underground and they can just open the valves and dump the fuel. Most airfields have tanks above ground and normal tanker trucks aren't equipped and used to dealing with those. And the amounts are too small to be worth it. There's one company/a guy with fuel truck equipped with pumps that supplies smaller airfields with fuel, but they don't provide autogas. My club's solution is a small car trailer with 2*200 liter barrels, because 350 liters is how much you are allowed to transport without special permits. A clubmate told how some swedes had solved this problem. They had built a trailer with a 1 or 2 thousand liter tanks, bolted a small generator on the trailer and plumped it to the tank. What would you need the generator for transporting fuel? Turns out, because of it that isn't a fuel trailer anymore, but a generator trailer with a fuel container. Hooray for loopholes.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

drat that's better than the time NASCAR cracked down on fuel tank sizes and the next week Smokey Yunick showed up at the track with a regulation tank and 6" diameter fuel lines

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ya, ethanol killed mogas in the US, because most mogas STCs predate corn.

Yet another way that ethanol is loving terrible.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

drat that's better than the time NASCAR cracked down on fuel tank sizes and the next week Smokey Yunick showed up at the track with a regulation tank and 6" diameter fuel lines

Part of me is convinced that racing engineers would make excellent lawyers in other conditions.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Saukkis posted:

MrYenko mentioned the supply issue. Your plane is now allowed to use 98E5 and all you need is the fuel. You might order a tanker truck like any gas station like any gas station, but apparently that doesn't work. Tankers don't have pumps because gas station tanks are underground and they can just open the valves and dump the fuel. Most airfields have tanks above ground and normal tanker trucks aren't equipped and used to dealing with those. And the amounts are too small to be worth it.

Okay so this is the stupidest most ghetto solution but what if you took a front end loader and just built up a big dirt ramp behind the fuel tank so the tanker truck can just be above the tank, on a little platform, while it's unloading?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

MrYenko posted:

Ya, ethanol killed mogas in the US, because most mogas STCs predate corn.

Yet another way that ethanol is loving terrible.

E10 is stupid, E85 is great.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Every percentage of ethanol decreases range so I imagine e85 isn’t the most popular in aviation

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A modest proportion of ethanol as an oxygenator and octane booster is actually cool ⁊ good.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

shame on an IGA posted:

I love NASCAR cheating stories.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Every percentage of ethanol decreases range so I imagine e85 isn’t the most popular in aviation

Alternatively, E85 is great for cars with turbos.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Platystemon posted:

A modest proportion of ethanol as an oxygenator and octane booster is actually cool ⁊ good.

If only it wasn't hygroscopic.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fender Anarchist posted:

If only it wasn't made with food.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fender Anarchist posted:

If only it wasn't made with a heavily-subsidized poison.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Don't care, it's basically racecar gas for 1/5 the price, that alone makes it awesome. Subsidize it more and put it at every pump in America.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Shooting Blanks posted:

I love NASCAR cheating stories.
Smokey also once built a 7/8 scale car and it took a while before anybody noticed.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Smokey also once built a 7/8 scale car and it took a while before anybody noticed.
He once got into a disagreement with judges over his fuel tank, and drove off. With his fuel tank still on the table in front of the judges.

Although AFAIK he did not actually use 6 inch fuel lines, but he did use 2 inch lines, in 11 foot lengths.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Don't forget dipping the windows in acid to make them thinner and lighter.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

PhotoKirk posted:

Don't forget dipping the windows in acid to make them thinner and lighter.

He dipped the whole drat car.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/24/politics/army-humvee-accidentally-dropped-fort-bragg/index.html

Oops.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Racing cheating stories

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/good-cheating-stories.162615/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dropping HMMWVs and coffee cups nowadays.