Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Oh neat, the thread to look at interesting industry criticism is ba-

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I’m not owned! I’m not owned!

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Imagine living in a world thinking Mega Man is anime.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Seldom Posts posted:

No, the point is that you can see who the crazy fanbois are and laugh at them.

What have I said that’s crazy, specifically? Here’s a nice outline of my beliefs:

1. Warhammer is fine
2. Hex-n-chit games are fine
3. Infinity and warmahordes are fine, but are at higher risk of collapse than market leader games

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Seldom Posts posted:

No, the point is that you can see who the crazy fanbois are and laugh at them.

You should take your username to heart probably

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

It’s pretty much this, exactly. They both have their place.

I just thought a half dozen posters going “:smug: yeah I don’t build or paint models, I play grandpa hex and chit games” is pretty telling.

I like painting models

Some people don't

Both of these things is okay

Could you stop being a massive oval office for no discernable reason?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Moola posted:

I like painting models

Some people don't

Both of these things is okay

Could you stop being a massive oval office for no discernable reason?

If you don’t like this thread, vote 1 and move on!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I like this thread when people are chatting and not being weird stuck up combative assholes about plastic toys

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
If I can't find painted minis in your post history, your opinion is invalid.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Moola posted:

I like this thread when people are chatting and not being weird stuck up combative assholes about plastic toys

I see you’re new here.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Someone make a post about the petty bickering and whining in the counters-and-chits community so we can move past the petty bickering and whining from the toy community, please.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

grassy gnoll posted:

Someone make a post about the petty bickering and whining in the counters-and-chits community so we can move past the petty bickering and whining from the toy community, please.

Your chits ain't poo poo, counter that!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This thread made me get my Warmahordes starter stuff out and go back to assembling/painting it. I also want to play some Infinity at some point and use my dumb Starlink Arwing model as part of the terrain (after giving it some weathering and ink washes). And I'm still kind of thinking of jumping on the Runewars minis box starter. Painting is so zen.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Moola posted:

I like this thread when people are being weird stuck up combative assholes about a company

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
This thread also reminded me I need to undercoat my kill team before the weather turns bad

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

grassy gnoll posted:

The equivalent discussion is about clipping counters and if you should do it with a corner rounder or just use a nail clipper and if the clip should be squared or rounded and lots of allegories to circumcision

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

grassy gnoll posted:

Realtalk I dabble in historicals and went out to a convention once. There were enough guys in outright fascist shirts and jackets that I :yikes:’d out of there and only bust out my table for friends now. I’d imagine the hex-n-chit community has, uh, similar demographics.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Realtalk I dabble in historicals and went out to a convention once. There were enough guys in outright fascist shirts and jackets that I :yikes:’d out of there and only bust out my table for friends now. I’d imagine the hex-n-chit community has, uh, similar demographics.
lots of wehraboos in the board wargaming community
some tankies as well
you just need to find chill people and not daryls

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Two Beans posted:

Anyone who hates assembling and painting models is literally *literally* dickriding Hitler.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

To be fair the demographic of board wargames has shifted especially thanks to more accessible stuff being released by GMT so the hobby is a lot healthier than it used to be.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Moola posted:

This thread also reminded me I need to undercoat my kill team before the weather turns bad

don't you live in the UK

isn't the "bad weather" like, all the time

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

don't you live in the UK

They claim only really the winter fuzzes the spray but we're weak willed in the states or something. if it's not beautiful outside I don't risk it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

Logistics is probably the best part of wargames no joke

Just me moving trucks with supplies around the board for an hour :getin:

I would like to play a cities skylines but for military logistics. Just see the little trucks humming down the road all day

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

Well that’s a bit hard cuz this time the 40k people came in with an agenda from the get go. Also boom3 and leperflesh aren’t posting in it.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

How are you doing Chill la Chill?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Well that’s a bit hard cuz this time the 40k people came in with an agenda from the get go. Also boom3 and leperflesh aren’t posting in it.

The death threads started because people kept shitposting in the GW threads that GWs death was imminent

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Ah yes, the angenda of "miniatures are important in miniature tabletop games"

huh

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Moola posted:

Just Talk poo poo you baby

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

General Olloth posted:

They claim only really the winter fuzzes the spray but we're weak willed in the states or something. if it's not beautiful outside I don't risk it.

even then I check the humidity

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Prime with an airbrush, problem solved. Nothing worse than applying bad primer.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

The worst I've ever seen was a dude (who also did Civil War re-enactments) wearing his Confederate Artillery Officer's kepi to a game. I think that one's less cringe-worthy than some fucker in a full SS get-up.

But there are utter loving chodes throughout the wargaming community. Look at the Nazi-themed Imperial Guard armies or Confederate Space Marines you occasionally see popping up on Instagram. Historicals may draw those kinds of people more overtly, but it's not like they aren't present elsewhere. The important part is making sure to call their racist poo poo out as unacceptable regardless of venue.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Ilor posted:

The worst I've ever seen was a dude (who also did Civil War re-enactments) wearing his Confederate Artillery Officer's kepi to a game. I think that one's less cringe-worthy than some fucker in a full SS get-up.

But there are utter loving chodes throughout the wargaming community. Look at the Nazi-themed Imperial Guard armies or Confederate Space Marines you occasionally see popping up on Instagram. Historicals may draw those kinds of people more overtly, but it's not like they aren't present elsewhere. The important part is making sure to call their racist poo poo out as unacceptable regardless of venue.

Yeah, I think there’s sort of a continuum of vidya games > warhams > historicals > hex-n-chit where the groggier you get the more you’re likely to find straight up unrepentant nazis for some reason (maybe something where the more niche a community is the more it feels like it can’t alienate any of its members?). Bash the fash wherever you find him etc etc etc.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hixson posted:

How are you doing Chill la Chill?

I’m good. Looking forward to the good board games being released at spiel

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Best 40k army:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, I think there’s sort of a continuum of vidya games > warhams > historicals > hex-n-chit where the groggier you get the more you’re likely to find straight up unrepentant nazis for some reason (maybe something where the more niche a community is the more it feels like it can’t alienate any of its members?). Bash the fash wherever you find him etc etc etc.
I think historicals are worse than hex and chit personally because historicals encourage the asthetic much more. And I’ve met shittier people playing warhams than board wargames. Ymmv

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

quote:

Best 40k army:
Three colors? Check!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

I think historicals are worse than hex and chit personally because historicals encourage the asthetic much more. And I’ve met shittier people playing warhams than board wargames. Ymmv

In an ideal world, historical and wargame people would be better because they see the horrid nature of the regimes involved. But, I imagine that even a game like “This Guilty Land” will probably be used by some as an outlet for their insane states rights views.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Reading The Myth of the Eastern Front was sobering to me. Some of the stuff about the wargaming community is not as relevant anymore or potentially exaggerated but it’s undoubted that the romancers had an influence on the hobby

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Infinity was smart to make their fascist faction not-white.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Reading The Myth of the Eastern Front was sobering to me. Some of the stuff about the wargaming community is not as relevant anymore or potentially exaggerated but it’s undoubted that the romancers had an influence on the hobby

I’ve never played flames of war but I understand it’s mostly about gritty serious veteran nazis and their technically superior weapons against slavering asiatic hordes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

don't you live in the UK

Thankfully the planet is dying so we've had a lovely warm summer over here