Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I've been trying to find something that'll get me more active and I occasionally drive past this place on my way home from work. Just on a presentation level it seems like a step above a lot of the taekwondo gyms in my area, but I'm concerned it's a lot of show and not actually a good place to learn. Obviously I need to go in and see if I can observe a class or two, but are there any pitfalls specific to these types of places that I should watch out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

I've been trying to find something that'll get me more active and I occasionally drive past this place on my way home from work. Just on a presentation level it seems like a step above a lot of the taekwondo gyms in my area, but I'm concerned it's a lot of show and not actually a good place to learn. Obviously I need to go in and see if I can observe a class or two, but are there any pitfalls specific to these types of places that I should watch out for?

This is an MMA gym. The Instructors seem legit from what they post as their qualifications. For an MMA gym you basically have to ask is there full contact sparring, and when are you allowed to do so. It should be a reasonable period from, "When you want to" to "Within a year". Other than that make sure the Gym is clean and your training partners aren't going to be dicks in your opinion. Even if you don't want to spar, it's important that the Gym has the ability to do so if you wanted to, just to see if the techniques they're using are legit in pressure testing.

"That website posted:

"Medal winner at every BJJ tournament entered

is a hilarious qualification though on one of their assistant instructors. I also am a medal winner at every BJJ tournament I entered, mind you I entered a Naga once and lost my match and won, because I was one of two people in that division.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I saw that as well. Technically you could argue that because I've never entered a mma contest, I've also never lost any.

You mentioned specifically that it's an MMA gym. This is probably a pretty dumb question, but is there's a meaningful difference between MMA and Martial Arts? I kind of just used the terms interchangeably.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CascadeBeta posted:

Yeah I saw that as well. Technically you could argue that because I've never entered a mma contest, I've also never lost any.

You mentioned specifically that it's an MMA gym. This is probably a pretty dumb question, but is there's a meaningful difference between MMA and Martial Arts? I kind of just used the terms interchangeably.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Defenestrategy posted:

For an MMA gym you basically have to ask is there full contact sparring, and when are you allowed to do so. It should be a reasonable period from, "When you want to" to "Within a year".

I generally agree with this, but I would say that they should put it in the context of safety. If you learn how to work with your partners and not hurt them, and you can defend yourself, you have what you need to spar.
The coaches should be saying, you have enough defensive skill and offensive control to spar safely. That could be longer than a year for some people even if they're earnest.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

It would seem that their jiu jitsu program is tailored around MMA which likely means you'll get punched a little bit while on the ground. You're likely to find a lot less hobbyists there and more people who are serious about competing.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

Websters defines martial arts:" as any of several arts of combat and self-defense (such as karate and judo) that are widely practiced as sport"

MMA tries to allow as many attacks as are reasonable regardless of it being striking or grappling, but no eye gouging, fish hooking, or weapons usage.

MMA is a Martial Art, but not all Martial Arts are MMA.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I've been doing judo for almost 8 months now, and I've been picking up a few little pains around certain joints of my body. Like, my thumb/wrist, my shoulder, one of my big toes. And tonight I was doing some light ne waza with someone a lot heavier than me and when he was turning me over I heard a loud series of little cracks/pops around my humerus/ulna area. It doesn't seem like anything major, but I have the feeling that this one is going to join all the others and linger for a while.

Is this normal? Like, none of them hurt enough to get in the way of performance except maybe my thumb/wrist, and that's only when I'm doing chokes. The pain's pretty minor, but I'm a little worried that since these aches are happening around parts of my body that are pretty much always going to get used every time I practice, then they might never fully heal/might start degrading further over time.

is this anything to look out for or am I just living the judo life

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Cephas posted:

I've been doing judo for almost 8 months now, and I've been picking up a few little pains around certain joints of my body. Like, my thumb/wrist, my shoulder, one of my big toes. And tonight I was doing some light ne waza with someone a lot heavier than me and when he was turning me over I heard a loud series of little cracks/pops around my humerus/ulna area. It doesn't seem like anything major, but I have the feeling that this one is going to join all the others and linger for a while.

Is this normal? Like, none of them hurt enough to get in the way of performance except maybe my thumb/wrist, and that's only when I'm doing chokes. The pain's pretty minor, but I'm a little worried that since these aches are happening around parts of my body that are pretty much always going to get used every time I practice, then they might never fully heal/might start degrading further over time.

Sounds like you have boneitis

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Cephas posted:

Pain of all shapes and sizes will be your constant companion if you train hard and consistently.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I've been doing bjj for a year and I just turned 40. I feel the fittest I've ever been in my life but I have constantly changing physical problems / pain.

I'm not stopping.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

starkebn posted:

I've been doing bjj for a year and I just turned 40. I feel the fittest I've ever been in my life but I have constantly changing physical problems / pain.

I'm not stopping.

This train has no brakes.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I guess this is the faustian bargain I made when I decided it was worth learning how to do really sweet throws.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Instructors finally trust us enough to do pad work with a partner and let me tell you that was a bad idea for my wife. She's strong as an ox but not accurate at all, so I just took a full power push kick to the dick and balls hard enough to throw me off my feet.

The wave of nausea came on so fast that I puked in an Arc throwing it behind me as I fell.

I have a feeling ill be her sole partner from now on :cry:

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Some people pay a lot of money for that, you should be thankful

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I'm familiar with a paddle and rope, but cbt is just a bridge too far friend

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
you're already familiar enough with the practice to call it by its abbreviation. you should embrace it really.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgCtLRQkkro

I love that the couriers are now supporting each other.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Hey, so I have a serious :can: question.

My judo instructor has been hankering to have me compete in a tournament sometime. I'm a trans woman who's been on hormones for about 7 years. I'm not out to anyone at this judo club. I know there's a huge debate over what to do with trans athletes, and I take that pretty seriously. I personally spent the majority of my life as a fat pasty nerd, and I don't think I've ever been able to bench press an unloaded barbell bar, so I don't think residual pre-transition strength is an issue. But it's definitely something I don't want to treat frivolously. And in grappling I feel like there's a bigger chance of my trans-ness being apparent, just because you get way up in people's space. So while I personally think competing at a tournament sounds kind of fun, I'm afraid that it could turn into a huge mess.

What should I do? Aim to compete in a men's tournament (I'd have a huge disadvantage, but there'd be no can of worms)? Just say no to competition?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cephas posted:

My judo instructor has been hankering to have me compete in a tournament sometime. I'm a trans woman who's been on hormones for about 7 years. I'm not out to anyone at this judo club. I know there's a huge debate over what to do with trans athletes, and I take that pretty seriously. I personally spent the majority of my life as a fat pasty nerd, and I don't think I've ever been able to bench press an unloaded barbell bar, so I don't think residual pre-transition strength is an issue. But it's definitely something I don't want to treat frivolously. And in grappling I feel like there's a bigger chance of my trans-ness being apparent, just because you get way up in people's space. So while I personally think competing at a tournament sounds kind of fun, I'm afraid that it could turn into a huge mess.

What should I do? Aim to compete in a men's tournament (I'd have a huge disadvantage, but there'd be no can of worms)? Just say no to competition?

If your judo coach is worth their salt, they'll accept an "I'm not ready," though that acceptance won't preclude them from checking later to see if you're ready. For literally every tournament I check with every eligible athlete, from ages 8 to 65. I never begrudge a "no," nor do I second guess it unless it's an experienced athlete who has expressed interest in higher-level competition.

Do you want to compete?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FYI here is Judo Canada's policy on Transgender Athletes:

http://www.judocanada.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Policy_On_Transgender_Athletes_August_7_2017.pdf

At first glance it seems pretty trans-friendly, but I admit I haven't had time to read it closely. I don't know what your governing body's policy is, but I don't expect this policy won't contradict the international regulations.

The key phrase that stands out to me is that athletes are entitled to their right to medical privacy, and allowed to "manage proeactively" their divisional determinations.

If you don't mind my asking, what rank and region are you thinking about competing in?

I'm apparently liveblogging this reading. The document's definition of "proactive management" is pretty bullshit - it is at odds with medical privacy imo. :/ Really if you're planning to compete at a level at which there's no drug testing, you should just register for the division you want, if you want to compete. I can't imagine anyone getting up in arms at a local tournament, especially.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Cephas posted:

The most important thing is that you shouldn't feel any obligation to do something you're not comfortable with. The vast majority of people who train in combat sports do so without ever competing, and you don't want to compete then your coach should accept that without any need for further explanation.

That said, if you do want to compete, then it may be a good idea to contact the organization running the competition to find out what their policy is on trans athletes. There may be issues you don't anticipate, such as if the name or gender listed on your ID does not match your registration. Even competing in the men's division if you present as female may create issues around disclosure. Ultimately, whichever way you go, it's probably going to be important that you're able to discuss it openly with your coach, and if coming out to them doesn't feel safe, then they won't be able to provide you with the support you need.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

Cephas posted:

First off, if you don’t want to compete don’t. 99.9% of coaches will back off if you just communicate that it isn’t your thing. If they don’t it is time to look for another gym.

Second, there is not enough scientific data out to say how long you need to be on hormones to have the muscular/energetic physiology of a genetic women (if this is the wrong term I apologize). That said, many natural bodybuilding leagues require their competitors to be steroid free for 5-8 years. They argue that after that any gains from hormones would be gone. It would seem reasonable for you to compete in the women’s division as such. On the flip side, competing in the male division would most likely be brutally hard with your current physiology.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Cephas posted:

If you do want to compete, it sounds like you'd have no physical advantage, definitely nothing that's going to make it unfair or unsafe for your competitors. At this level there can be massive differences in skill and athleticism totally outweighing any residual advantage you might or might not have. It's not drug tested so you could come up against someone who's also a roided up weightlifter, or has signed up as a judo "white belt" and it turns out they've been doing wrestling and bjj for 10 years. In bjj the winners of the different weight divisions can compete against each other. By comparison this seems like it's not going to actually affect the competition. How people are going to react might be a different story I guess.

Low-level amateur competition shouldn't be drastically different to having a really competitive sparring session at your club, if you haven't done a lot of this you will in the run up to a competition. So you should have a decent idea of whether it's apparent to people. To be honest personally, if I was confident I wasn't getting any advantage and no one would notice I'd just do it.

If you're comfortable talking to your coach you could ask them to get in touch with the tournament organisers, contact the others who've signed up for your weight division and explain the situation to them (this would probably be only shortly before the comp because people don't sign up way in advance). Then if any of they don't want to compete against you that's on them. If you're worried about it being noticeable during the match it's probably more important for the person to know than what the rules technically say. Obviously that gives up your privacy and relies on a chain of people all being cool about it, which sorry, I have no idea. Might depend on where you live?

Competing in the men's sounds like the worst option to me. No reason why you should have to, lose your privacy anyway, probably loving hard and potentially dangerous for you to compete against hormonal dudes, and you'd probably open up more of a can of worms competing in the men's presenting as female.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Thanks for the feedback. I'm in a pretty small judo club and am currently the only female judoka there, so I definitely feel the difference in power between me and the guys I've practiced with. I'm coming up on my orange belt promotion soon, so I'd just be doing low-level amateur competition. There's no rush for me to come to a decision, but I'll definitely keep what everyone's said in mind. I think if I eventually do decide to sign up for a tournament, I'll probably talk to the organizers about it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just don't compete if you don't feel comfortable doing so. That's my only applicable advice to this situation.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Mekchu posted:

Just don't compete if you don't feel comfortable doing so. That's my only applicable advice to this situation.

this is the correct advice

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
That is true, but she seems pretty keen on trying it even if not right away. The issue seems to be the rules/ how other people will react rather than whether she wants to do it. So it kinda sucks if the best we can do is "just never do it in case someone else is a dick".

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Magnus Manfist posted:

"just never do it in case someone else is a dick".

Nobody said this part except you.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 23, 2018

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Anecdotally, there was a m2f transgender competitor (sorry if my terminology is wrong, I don’t have much experience with that world) in the U.K. amateur BJJ scene for a bit.

She ended up stopping entering competitions as far as I’m aware because of the utter hatred being spewed online and at comps at her from both men and women, white belts to the head of Carlson Gracie U.K., Wilson Junior (bigoted old gently caress).

Dunno if Judo is the same but for what I’ve seen, in BJJ, if you’re transgender then actual competition requires you to have a ridiculously thick skin.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

For what it’s worth, she’s called Chloe Moore, maybe you could shoot her a message on FB, maybe she’s got some better advice.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Dunno if Judo is the same but for what I’ve seen, in BJJ, if you’re transgender then actual competition requires you to have a ridiculously thick skin.

Not all that shocking, unfortunately. Some top BJJ athletes in America are openly homophobic or support politicians who think LGBT people should be violently attacked when seen in public.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Anecdotally, there was a m2f transgender competitor (sorry if my terminology is wrong, I don’t have much experience with that world) in the U.K. amateur BJJ scene for a bit.

She ended up stopping entering competitions as far as I’m aware because of the utter hatred being spewed online and at comps at her from both men and women, white belts to the head of Carlson Gracie U.K., Wilson Junior (bigoted old gently caress).

Was she entering female competitions and winning them ala Fallon Fox?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

willie_dee posted:

Was she entering female competitions and winning them ala Fallon Fox?

Pretty much. But then what does she do, she’s a female now. Can’t compete in the men’s.

My bright idea was “fix the weight classes for women in BJJ”. This was apparently stupid.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Pretty much. But then what does she do, she’s a female now. Can’t compete in the men’s.

My bright idea was “fix the weight classes for women in BJJ”. This was apparently stupid.

You’re not addressing the massive strength advantage at all. As much as I wish there was a feel good answer for everyone, I don’t see it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Is there any concrete evidence that a trans woman has a significant strength advantage over a cis woman in the same weight class, beyond what would normally exist because humans are inherently all different from one another when it comes to body composition, etc.? I feel like a lot of people are expecting us to take that on faith, and that's a pretty poo poo basis for decision making.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

PT6A posted:

Is there any concrete evidence that a trans woman has a significant strength advantage over a cis woman in the same weight class, beyond what would normally exist because humans are inherently all different from one another when it comes to body composition, etc.? I feel like a lot of people are expecting us to take that on faith, and that's a pretty poo poo basis for decision making.

It’s more likely that if you want to sway anyone you have prove it the other way.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

VulgarandStupid posted:

It’s more likely that if you want to sway anyone you have prove it the other way.

There is evidence the other way and but people just ignore it

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

PT6A posted:

Pretty sure that depends on the level of human development before they transition. Fallon Fox is a pretty concrete example. Humans may be inherently different but as a general rule cis gendered men are physically stronger than cis gendered women. Go look at weight lifting competitions for an easy reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

PT6A posted:

Testosterone levels alone, growing up with that level of Test in you for that long, everything is going to be stronger. When people come off steroids (testosterone being a steroid) they don't immediately lose all their steroids gains of strength.

I wouldn't compete because I have done steroids, despite many people on the scene having done so as well, I just think its unfair on natural competitors, even though its been a long time. If I transitioned to female, I would still have a large majority of my strength from having been male for the majority of my life.

It's really unfortunate but its biology, if it was me I would compete in the male competitions, they can't have it both ways, say that you aren't allowed to compete against men and complain when you have a natural advantage against women.

There is a horrifying case going on in I think Texas in high school wrestling, where a Female to Male trans person is, they actively want to compete against the boys but is not allowed to, so he is just crushing girls because shes taking steroids to become Male. He gets boo'd and the community is horrible to him and its not his fault at all that the school athletics people won't let him fight men because his birth certificate says female.

I apologise if my wording or anything offends people. I am not trans and am entirely open to being told I am wrong.