Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Are you able to trade cards? I didn't catch anyone interacting with the trading system.

Perk cards can be shared with teammates or traded with other players, yes.

So if a teammate gets a perk card you want for your build but they have no use for, they can just give it to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't remember hearing about perk trading. Sharing, yes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rinkles posted:

so... no beta hours today?

https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1055141872459366400?s=19

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

I don't remember hearing about perk trading. Sharing, yes.

You can both trade and share cards, yes.

Another thing that isn't discussed much: Bethesda mentioned that there would be special seasonal events you can earn unique perk cards in. If that's the case, it's likely you can also find perk cards in the world or via quests too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah so much for Xbox getting a full week of extra playtime

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Spacedad posted:

Another thing that isn't discussed much: Bethesda mentioned that there would be special seasonal events you can earn unique perk cards in.

That's sounds horrible.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Yeah so much for Xbox getting a full week of extra playtime

On my spy network a guy defended it has a good idea.

Is very easy for a game to offer the entire of it too soon, so by the time is officially released people have explored every corner.

I can't deny is a idea with some merit.

Rinkles posted:

That's sounds horrible.

Agree. But count me in if the cards are silly things like "headshots make heads bigger" or "enemies explode in colored dust particles" and not things you will miss or are mandatory for high-end content. Side-grades are okeish.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

That's sounds horrible.

Maybe. It remains to be seen if they're just reskins of existing perk cards or not though. I'm betting some just let you craft holiday items or something.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Is the whole beta like this or just the Xbox exclusive beta? Dunno how they plan on finding and fixing bugs when hahaha that's not gonna happen

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I play PUBG regularly so my tolerance for jank is fairly high, but goddamn that looks so bad.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Rinkles posted:

That's sounds horrible.

just another way to get Halloween crates sold

can't wait to get a spooky haunted outfit

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

lmao, I actually thought this was some kind of a sick joke at first.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hey they technically got access a week before anyone else, nobody said it had to be for the whole week.

:cripes:

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Donovan Trip posted:

Is the whole beta like this or just the Xbox exclusive beta? Dunno how they plan on finding and fixing bugs when hahaha that's not gonna happen

People keep putting down bethesda for the fact that they're not on steam for this game - but on steam, valve imposes a waiting period on patches and hotfixes. Which often means steam games are behind what the devs want to put out. Companies often use beta patches to get around this, but that's something that wouldn't work well for a multiplayer game where every player needs to have the same up-to-date version.

It's a similar issue on consoles too though - and bethesda said they wanted to explore crossplay post-launch. They'd have to contend with not just sony's crossplay garbage but also how these companies impose waiting periods on their patches.

In any case - expect the PC version to have a lot of week 1 hotfixes rolled out in a hurry...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Donovan Trip posted:

Ps4 and PC only get 1hour 1 day. Microsoft paid for the extra day and hours.

Spacedad posted:

People keep putting down bethesda for the fact that they're not on steam for this game - but on steam, valve imposes a waiting period on patches and hotfixes. Which often means steam games are behind what the devs want to put out. Companies often use beta patches to get around this, but that's something that wouldn't work well for a multiplayer game where every player needs to have the same up-to-date version.

It's a similar issue on consoles too though - and bethesda said they wanted to explore crossplay post-launch. They'd have to contend with not just sony's crossplay garbage but also how these companies impose waiting periods on their patches.

In any case - expect the PC version to have a lot of week 1 hotfixes rolled out in a hurry...

Sony has to give approval for patches too.

Sony also finally gave in on cross play because of Fortnite.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
The real beta begins November 14th

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

Sony has to give approval for patches too.

And microsoft. I meant to make it clear that it's a similar patching-waiting-period situation on consoles to steam even without sony's crossplay garbage.

quote:

Sony also finally gave in on cross play because of Fortnite.

Yeah, which is why I'm hoping we'll get that eventually for this game.

All this means is that the PC version can roll out patches and hotfixes faster than if it were on steam. The game being buggy as hell is still bethesda's fault.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yes, Bethesda releasing buggy poo poo is checks notes Valve's fault

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I couldn't really figure it out from the streams I watched but will someone with a significant level advantage be able to explore and play with a friend who is a lower level?

also I'm never going to log out I'm just going to afk on the second to last platform on the jumping puzzle, body blocking anyone trying to figure out what amazing loot is at the end of it (stimpack and 50 caps)

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Donovan Trip posted:

The real beta begins November 14th

It's honestly looking that way. They should have just called the launch date the start of the first open-beta test, and moved the official 'launch date' back by a few months.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Spacedad posted:

Yeah, which is why I'm hoping we'll get that eventually for this game.

Same so I can force my kids to play with me.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Remember when they said people would have BETA access for 4 to 8 hours a day?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

oh my gently caress

a 3 day wait for 2 hours lmfao

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Remember when they said people would have BETA access for 4 to 8 hours a day?

I assume something is on fire somewhere due to the response to the game being "Oh boy this is even more garbage than I thought!"

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I'm guessing it's this limited so that people can keep speculating that "there's so much more that we haven't seen yet"

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Super Rad posted:

I'm guessing it's this limited so that people can keep speculating that "there's so much more that we haven't seen yet"

Yeah, I think they don't want players to fully explore the game before 'launch.' For better or worse.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I couldn't really figure it out from the streams I watched but will someone with a significant level advantage be able to explore and play with a friend who is a lower level?

It looks like if you're partying with higher level players you'll generally do fine in higher level areas. You just let them soak up the damage and you can take peashooter shots at mobs as you level up.

People with Charisma perks also can make party members more powerful too.

Edit: I remember that bethesda says the damage scales to level so you'll be able to do all right in a higher level zone or against higher level PVP players.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Spacedad posted:

You can both trade and share cards, yes.

Another thing that isn't discussed much: Bethesda mentioned that there would be special seasonal events you can earn unique perk cards in. If that's the case, it's likely you can also find perk cards in the world or via quests too.

Has anyone said "Fallout: Destiny" yet?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

Has anyone said "Fallout: Destiny" yet?

Hey now destiny is at least at its core a good shooter

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Spacedad posted:

People with Charisma perks also can make party members more powerful too.

Oh man the idea of a Fallout bard is actually pretty cool - hopefully at some point there will be a multiplayer fallout with a greater focus on co-op story progression than looting / radiant quests so that these neat party mechanics can have a nice setting to be used in.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Donovan Trip posted:

Hey now destiny is at least at its core a good shooter

But in destiny you can't be a kleptomaniac janitor of random bits of junk. :colbert:

Super Rad posted:

Oh man the idea of a Fallout bard is actually pretty cool - hopefully at some point there will be a multiplayer fallout with a greater focus on co-op story progression than looting / radiant quests so that these neat party mechanics can have a nice setting to be used in.

I'm curious what the raid mobs will be like. Bethesda has already said some of the strongest boss mobs are going to be major events for all the players on a server to participate in.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

They said from the start it was only going to be certain days at certain times. That's why I didn't bother taking any time off work to play until the week of Nov 14th. Well, that and it lets me get a decent vacation without spending as many days thanks to Thanksgiving.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Raids featuring the classic bethesda AI of 'mostly stand there, shoot and strafe randomly'

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Agent355 posted:

Raids featuring the classic bethesda AI of 'mostly stand there, shoot and strafe randomly'

Well if you want to see what the boss mob fights look like, there's footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgHjrFXXuiE

The Scorchbeast looks basically like a multiplayer oriented Skyrim dragon. (By which I mean the way he prioritizes aggro and the attacks he uses seem designed with fighting a large multiplayer group in mind.)

Edit: Someone compiled a recap highlights video of stuff people encountered in yesterday's beta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS5ZunlZaNo

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 24, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

woah even matn's (a bit) critical of the beta availability

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

So there's a weapon called the Vox Syringer that if you shoot animals with it, it apparently makes animals talk.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9qvla4/theres_a_weapon_i_think_in_a_place_called_seneca/

Here's footage of someone chasing a talking Radstag who was hit with the syringer:

https://www.reddit.com/user/Ahsumara/comments/9qvu04/it_talked/

I contend that the tone they're going for with this game is 'new vegas with wild wasteland always on.'

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I have to admit, I would love to run around Fallout 4 or New Vegas and make all the animals talk.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm guessing they're limiting beta playtime because they seriously underestimated the strain on their servers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm guessing they're limiting beta playtime because they seriously underestimated the strain on their servers.
Seems that way

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
fallout 76 feels like an early access game - polygon

fallout 76 is No Man's Sky 2018 - Forbes

fallout 76 had an amazing start - Bethesda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

mormonpartyboat posted: