Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Watched Touch of Evil for the first time in a while and I had forgotten the whole movie is set on a "walnut ranch."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

"There's been a walnut uprisin'"

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

JoeCL posted:

Watched Touch of EvilSatan for the first time in a while and I had forgotten the whole movie is set on a "walnut ranch."

I've been pecan farming. Just made my first million. Haven't even grown a single pecan.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

JoeCL posted:

Watched Touch of Evil for the first time in a while and I had forgotten the whole movie is set on a "walnut ranch."

What brings you up here?

"And if you say "my squad car" I'll chainsaw you in half."

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Look out, walnut stampede!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

JoeCL posted:

I too fondly remember Touch of Evil getting the MST3K treatment, what with all the "I'm Charlton Heston for Contel"/"I'm Charles Foster Kane" riffing going on when both of the main actors appeared together. And that's saying nothing of the "Chief? McCloud!" bits whenever Dennis Weaver showed up on screen. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Walnuts are just tearing through the hay.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If she doesn't like him after riding in his Maverick she's a total ice princess.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Just watch out for those "fromicidal" maniacs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Artsygrrl posted:

Just watch out for those "fromicidal" maniacs.

Nope, I'm still at large.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Watched the Ready Player One riff. Highly recommended. Features the phrase 'dystopian Great Gazoo.' The movie itself seemed mostly inoffensive compared to the novel which means it was mostly just boring CGI slamming into each other.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The movie is an okay popcorn flick, really.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I sure hope he said peanut

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
If the MST3K live tour comes to your area I’d heartily recommend it. It’s awesome seeing Joel back in the jumpsuit and riffing again.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

They don't come to Canada and I'm going to keep complaining about it in this thread until somebody does something about it!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

I hope the Netflix voice for Tom Servo got a banner like this.

He really did a great job and deserves recognition.

I believe Kevin gave him the original.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TL posted:

If the MST3K live tour comes to your area I’d heartily recommend it. It’s awesome seeing Joel back in the jumpsuit and riffing again.

He and Jonah work well together and the Tom & Crow fill ins so really well.

Joel definitely still had it and had adjusted, but Jonah also really shines in the live show. It must be exausting, but I hope the keep doing them. I hope they can afford to film a few clips from the mads next time.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Was there any release of the shows from last year? Like as a script or a lovely cell phone video on YouTube?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I think he heard some of the shows were filmed but I’ve yet to hear anything about them being released. There’s some clips from the host segments on YouTube but I haven’t seen any of the riffing go up.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

They actually sold copies of the Eegah script on tour, so someone might have scanned it and put it up somewhere or at the very least I’m sure it’s on eBay.

I remember reading an interview where they said they had recorded some of the shows and were thinking of releasing them at some point but otherwise they haven’t said anything. I can see them being Netflix specials or something down the road.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I am at MST3K live in Detroit. It is very good.
I learned today that Tom Servo goes to therapy because he is upset that Crow got eyes and moving arms and he didn’t. :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ratbert90 posted:

I am at MST3K live in Detroit. It is very good.
I learned today that Tom Servo goes to therapy because he is upset that Crow got eyes and moving arms and he didn’t. :v:

Tom is a deep well of neuroses. He thinks his ideal parents are his mom being Hayley Mills, his dad Gigantor and his other mom is Peggy Cass. Latent Parent Trap Syndrome.

(Man should be a in a straightjacket.)

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Anyone else going to tonight's live show in Saint Louis?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
St. Louis show was excellent. The game show gimmick wore kind of thin, and Joel's mic was a little bit too quiet, but overall I thought this was much stronger than last year's Eegah show. A big part of that might have been the movie being totally new to me, and it's an exceptionally goofy one too. Biggest audience laugh of the whole evening was probably at a line they didn't even need to riff on.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Yeah, I thought the host segments' central conceit was a little thin, but goddamn was that an amazing movie and some really solid riffs. Laughed my rear end off, shame STL never gets the second show. Something about a giant gooey brain headbutting an 80s teen out a window is magic all on its own. Also Joel back in the jumpsuit was lovely and sweet, and there was a moment where Jonah and Crow put their foreheads together and chanted and I nearly lost it. I never know how much in the live shows is scripted versus improv'd, but judging by the way Joel lost his poo poo at that bit, it miiiiiiiiiiight have been adlibbed.

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 31, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They didn’t do that at the Wilkes Barre show so it was probably an adlib.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, I've got a friend who's never seen MST3K but has heard of it, and I was hoping to fix that the next time we hung out. Normally I'd throw on Space Mutiny and let Brick Hardmeat work his magic, but she happens to be a fan of Svengoolie, so something tells me she'd connect more with Joel and an old horror movie than Mike and a cheesy sci-fi actioner. I feel like going right into Manos would break her brain, and (weirdly enough) I was never a fan of Pod People or Eegah. Any other suggestions that I could buy from Rifftrax or stream off Netflix/YouTube? Maybe Santa Claus Conquers the Martians?

Hell, should I take my chances with Jonah and Cry Wilderness?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, I've got a friend who's never seen MST3K but has heard of it, and I was hoping to fix that the next time we hung out. Normally I'd throw on Space Mutiny and let Brick Hardmeat work his magic, but she happens to be a fan of Svengoolie, so something tells me she'd connect more with Joel and an old horror movie than Mike and a cheesy sci-fi actioner. I feel like going right into Manos would break her brain, and (weirdly enough) I was never a fan of Pod People or Eegah. Any other suggestions that I could buy from Rifftrax or stream off Netflix/YouTube? Maybe Santa Claus Conquers the Martians?

Giant Gila Monster

Cry Wilderness is insane and funny, but I don't know if that's a good 1st.

Wild, Wild World of Batwoman has always worked for me when introducing newbies.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

DivisionPost posted:

If a similar to Svengoolie experience is what you're after, I'd say go for any of the following: Giant Gila Monster, Attack of the The Eye Creatures, The Killer Shrews, Teenagers from Outer Space, Amazing Colossal Man, It Conquered the World, and The Unearthly, along with the MST3K Godzilla episodes as well (with honorable mentions going to several of the Sci-Fi Channel era Mike episodes like Revenge of the Creature, The Mole People, The Leech Woman, and The Screaming Skull).

As a special bonus you can point out that Sven did a bunch of the aforementioned movies on his original show, back when he was "Son of" Svengoolie. :)

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I vote for It Conquered the World. That movie is almost good.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I enjoy Attack of the the Eye Creatures. It knew what it was supposed to be, it knew what it wanted to be, and it utterly failed to be anything good.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I enjoy Attack of the the Eye Creatures. It knew what it was supposed to be, it knew what it wanted to be, and it utterly failed to be anything good.

One might almost say... they just didn't care. :effort:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Breadallelogram posted:

I vote for It Conquered the World. That movie is almost good.

Only ruined by the Space Artichoke at the end.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Time Chasers has a special place in my heart because it has a late family friend (Ted Pendleton) and his wife (Becky Fenton. [Still Alive])

Ted was a wonderful guy with an absolute love of theater. Becky still has a signed copy of Time Chasers with the MST3K casts signatures on it.

When Time Chasers was aired, the entire cast got together and made a party out of it as well. :unsmith:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Only ruined by the Space Artichoke at the end.

Ruined? No, not ruined. For you see, he learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature, and because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned too late for himself that men have to find their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And when men seek such perfection, they find only death... fire... loss... disillusionment... the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to the toil and misery, but it can't be given, it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from Man himself.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Ruined? No, not ruined. For you see, he learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature, and because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned too late for himself that men have to find their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And when men seek such perfection, they find only death... fire... loss... disillusionment... the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to the toil and misery, but it can't be given, it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from Man himself.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Time Chasers has a special place in my heart because it has a late family friend (Ted Pendleton) and his wife (Becky Fenton. [Still Alive])

Ted was a wonderful guy with an absolute love of theater. Becky still has a signed copy of Time Chasers with the MST3K casts signatures on it.

When Time Chasers was aired, the entire cast got together and made a party out of it as well. :unsmith:

Time Chasers is one of the few MST3K movies that give the impression the people making it were enjoying themselves.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

drunkencarp posted:

Time Chasers is one of the few MST3K movies that give the impression the people making it were enjoying themselves.

They did. They were all community theater people who got together to make a movie. There were a couple of people that were really really salty about the MST3K thing, but most of the cast had a great laugh about it.

Edit*

Ted is the overdramatic Hobo in the future if anybody cares.
Ted and Becky show up at 31:21: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5esuqm

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 5, 2018

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Hmmm...if you're going to repeat a speech so much, it needs to have lots of things in it. Chicken. Corn. Green peppers. Chili.

:sigh:

onions...