Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

Oof ouch that looks ugly.

I love love LV but never played 2. Does it look any better in motion, with cool music like DKC or did they just suck all the charm out of it completely with that 'style'

I only played it in SNES but it was good. Two new characters, a dragon and a werewolf, and throughout every world you played as basically every three person permutation of that group. The Vikings themselves look all kitted in futuristic gear but it's a time travel story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

DLC Inc posted:

Trine aka "use the wizard to do all the poo poo and here's 2 other characters I guess"

I want a new Lost Vikings game or hell a port of the PS1 version with the voice acting

Don't know how close it is, but you might enjoy aegis defenders if you haven't tried it already. Has a great demo too.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The SNES version keeps an art style similar to the original and is the only version actually developed by Blizzard. Even when it first came out, I remember thinking that the other versions really looked like poo poo.

Mogki
Aug 2, 2016
There's also a GBA port of the original Lost Vikings.
It's not terrible as SNES to GBA ports go.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Dark Souls on the Switch is the best thing even if it's just to hear people talk about their first playthrough :kimchi:

I’ve killed the pig, I opened the gate, only enter a zone of rear end kicking zombie knights. So it’ll be a while before I have anything significant to post.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 24, 2018

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’ve killed the pig, I opened the gate, only enter a zone of rear end kicking zombie knights. So it’ll be a while before I have anything significant to post.

You're really close to the next bonfire.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Fortnite got a really good halloween update and is worth checking out if you are into that kind of thing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In the two weeks I played Fortnite I never got a single kill.

I am only good at turn based games and platformers

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Turpitude posted:

Fortnite got a really good halloween update and is worth checking out if you are into that kind of thing.

its all about blackout now

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Over There posted:

its all about blackout now

Did that get popular? I played a few at a friends house and it seems slower, more boring game with none of the charm of Fortnite.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Fortnite is its own animal. Blackout is directly competing with PUBG which it is miles ahead of.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

Fortnite is its own animal. Blackout is directly competing with PUBG which it is miles ahead of.

Makes sense since I thought the exact same thing when I tried PUBG.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

SeANMcBAY posted:

Makes sense since I thought the exact same thing when I tried PUBG.

yeah its like a mix of the quick arcadiness of Fortnite, and the seriousness of PUBG.

It's fun.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mogki posted:

There's also a GBA port of the original Lost Vikings.
It's not terrible as SNES to GBA ports go.

Yeah it's good! I have it in my DSLite right now for triple backup gaming

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The new fortnight event is actually taking on CoD, but only the zombies.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Haven't been reading the thread lately. Is there a post for dark souls newbies with info on how to make a character or what gift to select or whatever

I'm sure this has been mentioned but they used playstation button layout, so B confirms and A cancels. But when you need to enter a name it pops up the switch keyboard which uses the Nintendo format of A confirms B cancels. Lol come on guys

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The best gifts for new players are the Old Witch's Ring for a small story thing, you can't otherwise get the ring in game, the Black Firebombs or the Master Key. The Black Firebombs are used up quickly so I strongly suggest saving them for once you get past the first boss. The Master Key opens a lot of chests and doors but if you don't know where you're going you can accidentally end up somewhere way beyond your skill. I consider it a second playthrough item.

I'll save you a headache, the Pendant does exactly what it says it does. Nothing

The gift doesn't have a huge impact on the game overall but some can save you in a pinch.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I'm not gonna spoil anything in here, but that 'smash leak' looks like it might be legit, and this might be Ultimate's version of the ESRB leak. If it's true, some of those picks are really odd. Cool, but odd

edit: Ah dang, guess ill have to take your word on it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's been confirmed fake, by me. Stay tuned for further details.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Actively trying to avoid it and saw it anyway because some jackass posted it on a Facebook group (not even Nintendo themed) I was looking at. I will just try to forget

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Dude I looked at it for a solid 3 minutes and still couldn't see anything.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Heath posted:

The best gifts for new players are the Old Witch's Ring for a small story thing, you can't otherwise get the ring in game, the Black Firebombs or the Master Key. The Black Firebombs are used up quickly so I strongly suggest saving them for once you get past the first boss. The Master Key opens a lot of chests and doors but if you don't know where you're going you can accidentally end up somewhere way beyond your skill. I consider it a second playthrough item.

I'll save you a headache, the Pendant does exactly what it says it does. Nothing

The gift doesn't have a huge impact on the game overall but some can save you in a pinch.

Spoilers re: your top spoiler there: You can get it, actually, by trading the Sunlight Maggot with that crow-guy. Of course, the Sunlight Maggot is in the area that's only unlocked by joining the covenant that you join by talking to the lady you need the ring to speak with in the first place, but you can still technically join the covenant without being able to understand her. Unlikely to happen during a first run, but technically possible!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Haven't been reading the thread lately. Is there a post for dark souls newbies with info on how to make a character or what gift to select or whatever

I'm sure this has been mentioned but they used playstation button layout, so B confirms and A cancels. But when you need to enter a name it pops up the switch keyboard which uses the Nintendo format of A confirms B cancels. Lol come on guys

The real Dark Souls starts at the name entry screen.

Character creation matters a whole lot less than you might think since it all gets wiped out as you build your character.

The things to know are if you don't start with spellcasting that it takes a long time to get pyromancy if you don't start with it (unless you use speedrunning tricks to essentially skip two bosses). Magic is available immediately but super hard to find (go down the elevator to the lake area and there's a tiny staircase off one side where a guy in the window sells the staffs and a couple basic spells), and the guy who is the intended gate into that path is almost as far in as the pyro trainer. If you don't stumble over Clerical spells immediately then you should be playing a different game.

The cleric's mace and the deprived's club are the only starting weapons that's really different from others which can give a small advantage in the early game if you're playing a certain way.

The deprived is basically expert mode for people who know what they're doing and want to build their character totally from scratch on their own.

Starting with a shield isn't horrible for new players since sword and board is probably the easiest playstyle to get into. But not all shields completely block damage.

There are two fundamental weapon paths: strength and dexterity and as you level you'll usually want to lean into one or the other. So you might want to pick a character class that gives you a head start on those.

As stated, don't worry at all about the gifts. There's only a few of them that even do anything useful and in most cases you have to know what you're doing to really use them. I took Master Key on my first playthrough and it was fine, I just went another direction when it became obvious that I couldn't do a whole lot in a place I wandered into. The firebombs are probably the most useful for a totally new player who doesn't know what to pick.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 24, 2018

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Actively trying to avoid it and saw it anyway because some jackass posted it on a Facebook group (not even Nintendo themed) I was looking at. I will just try to forget

Well since it's been spoiled might as well start posting about the new characters.

https://twitter.com/Wendys/status/1...agenumber%3D496

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ash Lake in Dark Souls fills me with dread.

It's gorgeous but the music, the expanse and the ceiling all make my lizard brain freak out.

Good stuff in there, though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

American McGay posted:

Dude I looked at it for a solid 3 minutes and still couldn't see anything.

For real, and it's a fighting game. Who cares about spoilers? It's not like knowing the line up in advance is going to magically inject you with in depth knowledge on how that character even plays etc.

I guess it can be "fun" to be surprised by new unlocks. If so, then yeah it's on you for not staying entirely offline for the next 2 months. People aren't gonna just stop talking about the most anticipated game of the year.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I do like going in to Smash without knowing the full roster BUT I don't like the mysterious unlocking mechanics.

Give me a list of what to do but don't tell me what it unlocks.

There's no way I'm going to to a 10 minute brutal battle with the HOPE it unlocks SpongeBob or whatever.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I will say I looked up an article with the characters (cause I dont care) and I was not awed by anything that hasnt been previously revealed.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KingSlime posted:

Who cares about spoilers?

Obviously a lot of people. The same argument is used with books movies and everything else that can be spoiled all the time. Just because you don't care doesn't mean other people don't.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It's just a different world now. People are going to be blasting the tiniest surprise starting on like day zero. Then you'll have a garbage NowThis video or something highlighting all the new picks, trying to pass it off as substantical and critical thought inducing "content"

This will shortly be followed by horny drawings of all the new roster picks.

The Bloop posted:

Obviously a lot of people. The same argument is used with books movies and everything else that can be spoiled all the time. Just because you don't care doesn't mean other people don't.

Better fully unplug from the internet then. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that's now how things work anymore. It's easier to not care imo, especially because this isn't a single player experience or story driven game.

E: I meant to say who cares about spoilers in fighting games? Obviously spoilers in say a murder mystery or anything story driven really is going to impact the fundamental experience dramatically.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 24, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I DGAF who is left on the roster because I will be playing Just Cause 4 and having WAY more fun.

JK, I love both francises. it sucks that they come out 3 days apart.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's probably futile to keep everyone spoiler-free but what's the harm of leaving Smash leak discussion out of this thread when it can be discussed in the Smash thread?

Besides it'll just clog up Dark Souls chat.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

https://twitter.com/TrineSeries/status/1055081770998251520

Surprise! If you thought Frozenbyte's Trine series was dead for good after the disastrous third installment, well, I don't fault you for thinking so.

Hopefully they go back to the 2.5D thing they did with the first two

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks for the dark souls advice, guys. I really like getting into areas I'm not supposed to be in and getting my rear end kicked, so I ended up going with the master key (against my better judgement). Games cool so far

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I unbookmarked the Smash thread because people gave up the pretense of spoiler tags after about one page of posts. So far I haven't seen the images but I've heard one or two of the fighters supposedly on it. Including from a friend minutes after I told him "hey i'm trying to avoid spoilers for this". thanks for nothing pal.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Puyo Puyo eSports is out on Switch now with a -75% launch discount, taking the price down to 500 yen

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I unbookmarked the smash thread cause they stopped talking about Bowsette.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
enough about smash spoilers, who here's got their copy of the new Super Mario Bros Encyclopedia

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Looper posted:

enough about smash spoilers, who here's got their copy of the new Super Mario Bros Encyclopedia

Did they finally explain the Super Mario timeline? I've had this theory that it all forks at Sunshine...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Leal posted:

I unbookmarked the smash thread cause they stopped talking about Bowsette.

I should've followed your example a long time ago.