Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

fourwood posted:

Raise to wake is finicky enough that I would also appreciate the time being shown constantly. I guess this makes me a weirdo! But so be it.

Finicky? I’ve had an AW for 3.5 years now and since WatchOS 2.0 it’s been pretty much 100% on activation on raise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

rage-saq posted:

Finicky? I’ve had an AW for 3.5 years now and since WatchOS 2.0 it’s been pretty much 100% on activation on raise.

Same. Maybe 98% if I want to be ice cold and uncharitable about it. In fact, I’d say it activates more frequently for me than I need, and I get a lot of “false positives” like when I’m driving or working with my hands.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Disagree, raise to wake on Apple Watch works fine for me. Always on display could be nice, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I just wish Raise to Speak for Siri worked.

It worked for me like one time then never again.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Disagree, raise to wake on Apple Watch works fine for me. Always on display could be nice, but I don’t think it’s necessary.
Not to mention Tap to Wake.

And I guess if you're REALLY compromised hand-wise, you can always call Siri.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Pretty sure Hey Siri only works when the screen has already switched on.

And yeah raise to wake has always been janky as hell for me on the S2 and S3. Perhaps it's better on the S4.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

Not to mention Tap to Wake.

And I guess if you're REALLY compromised hand-wise, you can always call Siri.
Nose to wake :colbert:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Thwomp posted:

I just wish Raise to Speak for Siri worked.

It worked for me like one time then never again.

Yeah it’s not reliable for me and it sucks that I can’t put the Siri button on the infograph modular face.

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company

japtor posted:

Nose to wake :colbert:

Glad to know I'm not the only one!

mes
Apr 28, 2006

One of the only things that I miss from my Garmin running watches after moving to a Series 4 is the always on screen which was easier to read during my runs. Raise to wake has been working just fine for me, although I feel like I'm staring at my watch for a bit too long to get the info that I want.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Raise to wake has gotten way worse for me on OS 5.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
OK, I definitely notice the dark-gray color non-uniformity issue on my new Series 4.

I know it's an OLED issue (my XS does the same thing, though not as extreme as it is as my watch), so I don't want to mess with returns and exchanges and stuff, hoping for a "perfect" display.

So I'm just wondering, does it lessen over time?

I know the OLED pixels change and fade over time, due to their organic nature. My thought process is that if some pixels are brighter than others, that maybe they would then fade quicker, as well, making the dark grays more consistent.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Are there more places to buy a financed Apple Watch through you're carrier aside from Best Buy, Target, and the carrier store itself?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

Are there more places to buy a financed Apple Watch through you're carrier aside from Best Buy, Target, and the carrier store itself?

Costco?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If you consider using a CC at Costco financed, sure.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I've now seen people wearing an Apple Watch AND a fitbit on the other wrist :psyduck:

Is the Fitbit good enough at fitness tracking that people would seriously wear two devices?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Pants Donkey posted:

I've now seen people wearing an Apple Watch AND a fitbit on the other wrist :psyduck:

Is the Fitbit good enough at fitness tracking that people would seriously wear two devices?

It's probably because they have lots of Fitbit friends.

The Fitbit app has a big social aspect. Lots of friends, top lists with steps displayed, competitions & challenges to issue, etc.

When I got my Apple Watch, I immediately started missing all the fun Fitbit stuff. There was no way I could convince all my friends to get rid of their Fitbits and switch to Apple Watch. Even if they did all get an Apple Watch, the Fitbit all is still more "fun" in the way it displays friends and stats.

I use a "Health to Fitbit" sync app. It syncs my steps (from Apple Watch to my Fitbit account), but Fitbit only lets you participate in challenges with friends if you use a real Fitbit device. Syncing data to them isn't enough. You must wear a Fitbit device.

If I didn't have to deal with remembering to wear a second device, and I didn't hate Fitbit's lovely build quality (I've had several Fitbit Charge devices completely fall apart on me), I'd also be using a Fitbit along with my Apple Watch, just because it's still what more of my friends use.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Fitness sounds horrible.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Fitness sounds horrible.

Apple Watch: Fitness sounds horrible.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

I asked this before, but I didn't get any replies. Does the watch need to be "in range" (Bluetooth range, I assume) of its parent iPhone in order to use things like Siri? Can a cellular watch access Siri via cell connection? I ask because Siri almost never works for me on my watch if I leave my phone upstairs. This happens even though my watch has a wifi connection.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

RoboCop 3 posted:

I asked this before, but I didn't get any replies. Does the watch need to be "in range" (Bluetooth range, I assume) of its parent iPhone in order to use things like Siri? Can a cellular watch access Siri via cell connection? I ask because Siri almost never works for me on my watch if I leave my phone upstairs. This happens even though my watch has a wifi connection.

If the phone is in range then it off loads a lot of the processing to the phone. If the phone is not in range Siri will work about 10% of the time (when connected to WiFi) on my S2.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Fitness sounds horrible.

I jogged yesterday, it was a mistake.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I lifted my kid up and down a bunch and my watch thought I was on the elliptical.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I skated 1.62 miles on ice skates and paid for it by lounging on the couch all afternoon and napping.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Xenomorph posted:

It's probably because they have lots of Fitbit friends.
Or they're a part of one of those corporate fitness programs, some of which apparently don't (yet?) support the Apple Watch.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
A couple of weeks ago I had to reinstall/repair my watch cause it was slow as poo poo (Series 2), and it's been getting slow again. Last night, I tried accessing an app, and it rebooted on me.

I've got AppleCare on it for another 6 mos or so - should I bother filing a claim?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BoyBlunder posted:

A couple of weeks ago I had to reinstall/repair my watch cause it was slow as poo poo (Series 2), and it's been getting slow again. Last night, I tried accessing an app, and it rebooted on me.

I've got AppleCare on it for another 6 mos or so - should I bother filing a claim?

Why wouldn't you?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Why wouldn't you?

I don't know - I've never done a warranty claim for any Apple products before and didn't know if it was a difficult process I should go through for a 2+ yr old product.

I guess I'll give it a shot then. The "turn to wake" feature has been wonky as hell too, so maybe there's some hardware thing happening :shrug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BoyBlunder posted:

I don't know - I've never done a warranty claim for any Apple products before and didn't know if it was a difficult process I should go through for a 2+ yr old product.

I guess I'll give it a shot then. The "turn to wake" feature has been wonky as hell too, so maybe there's some hardware thing happening :shrug:

You paid for the extended warranty service, take advantage of it.

If you have a store nearby, schedule a visit (you can do it through the website). Or call them. They'll take care of you.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BoyBlunder posted:

They'll take care of you. There's always exceptions but 99.9% of the time it's smooth and painless.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone know of a charge station that fits 38mm watches better? That is, I've been using this with my 42mm for a while:

https://www.amazon.com/elago-Stand-Apple-Watch-Black/dp/B01ABLSW5W?keywords=apple+watch+stand&qid=1540226392&sr=8-24&ref=sr_1_24

and my wife decided she wanted one too, but she wears a 38mm and it's unable to keep a reliable connection.. the sport loop attachment points angle too much for it to secure. You get it on there and it starts charging but the slightest bump will pop it off.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've been really happy with this stand.
https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Apple-Watch-Patent-Pending/dp/B0109I9W24

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

This is what I have and I have no real complaints with my 38mm. I don’t have a sport loop, but I don’t think the sport band hits the surface at all. I don’t recall ever waking up and being like “aw hell it didn’t charge”.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yup, this is what my wife and I have. I mounted the sticky bottom to a hockey puck, so I didn't have to tear it off if I needed to take it on vacation or whatever. Works great.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So I almost broke my standing streak because I’m a lazy gently caress, so I made a Shortcut to help me not do that. Yeah I know the watch will remind you at the end of every hour, but 10m isn’t that much time and sometimes you can’t just drop everything you’re doing.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/cab0e4325a5d4317b4faaf0812b5f409

I think you’ll need to go down to the bottom and choose a Reminder list, and also a Calendar … calendar when you first download it.

Anyway, it’ll ask how many hours you have credited. If you’re able to fill the ring before 10pm then nothing happens. If it’s impossible to fill it today then Siri will teach you a new word. For every other case Siri will create a reminder and a calendar event, with an encouraging message for you.

e: You have to confirm whether or not you want the reminders created every time you run it.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 24, 2018

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Is there anyway to force my watch to use its own GPS when my phone is nearby?

Use case: I use Strava on my S3 watch to track my runs. Sometimes I bring my phone along to use Spotify (loving gently caress loving gently caress on the no watch app bullshit) and have a camera (I run in pretty places). Trouble is, when I have my phone, its GPS is not accurate at all and my run data is crap. Headphones and my heart rate monitor are Bluetooth so I don’t think I can kill that.

I usually just run with my watch, a downloaded playlist, and Bluetooth headphones, and BT HR chest strap and it works marvelously. But sometimes I want new music and don’t want to go thru the hassle of converting a Spotify playlist into something I can put into iTunes.

I’m starting to think maybe the Apple Watch isn’t for me ☹️

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I would think the phone GPS would be way more accurate than the Watch? Bigger battery, better antenna design.

FWIW, I thought the watch Strava app gave me jagged routes all the time, which is partially why I switched to iSmoothRun, then just have that export the data to Strava.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I would think the phone GPS would be way more accurate than the Watch? Bigger battery, better antenna design.

FWIW, I thought the watch Strava app gave me jagged routes all the time, which is partially why I switched to iSmoothRun, then just have that export the data to Strava.

I think what is happening is since I’m running Strava off my watch, my phone is not decreasing time between GPS pings; ie it doesn’t think anything is relying on location so it’s in a more dormant GPS mode? I have no idea if that’s a thing, just my guessing.

If Apple and Spotify would just make nice, that would totally solve my problem.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

BoyBlunder posted:

Alternatively - do Apple Giveback and get a discount of $125 on a fancy new S4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I got my new SBSS 44mm and man, I didn't know I was such a fuccing goober when it came to reading analogue cloccs. I just look at it and gotta stay silent for a few seconds, then I got it.