Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Blizzaks are very good and the limited slip diff will have no issue getting you around. I had Blizzaks on my E36 M3 and I never got stuck. This is in Salt Lake which is no stranger to getting a good amount of snow. And the E92 will be better than your rex by infinity

Solid, good to know. Thanks guys. Currently have a set of Blizzaks on and it eats snow/ice no problem. This whole thing started because my buddy got an E92 and it really blew me away - I’m so used to understeer that the first time I drove it and it got a little squirrely, I no poo poo started giggling. Checking out a few options locally now, let’s see how it goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

dk2m posted:

Solid, good to know. Thanks guys. Currently have a set of Blizzaks on and it eats snow/ice no problem. This whole thing started because my buddy got an E92 and it really blew me away - I’m so used to understeer that the first time I drove it and it got a little squirrely, I no poo poo started giggling. Checking out a few options locally now, let’s see how it goes

Do it! If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I have an E90 and Ether Frenzy has an E92. There are a few others with E9X M cars too and they are very good. The Smoking Tire even posted a One Take this morning of an E92. Clearly this is a sign.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dk2m posted:

How are BMWs in the snow, anyway? I assume as long as there’s a proper winter tire set it should be fine? I’ve been throwing around the idea of trading in my WRX for an E92 M3 but I’ve never owned a RWD car, so I honestly have no idea.

I dailied my E82 in the winter but I'm not driving an E39 M5 in the winter with all the rust and poo poo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Cojawfee posted:

It's just the octane rating. It changes how resistant the gas is to detonating. If your car notices knocking, or early detonation, it changes the timing to compensate for it. Your car won't run as perfectly efficient as usual, but it will be fine for one tank. You aren't going to break anything by putting 91 in your car when there are people out there putting regular in their car every time because they don't know better.
I'd imagine BMWs are somewhat similar to 2000's Hondas where the car is tuned automatically on a dyno with three fuels or so. A very high octane fuel for finding MBT (best power ignition timing), 95-ish to find knock ignition limit, and 85-ish to find low octane knock ignition limit. The car will estimate octane based on knock sensor noise and sensitivity, then build an ignition model based on the curves made on the dyno with the three fuels.

TLDR: poo poo won't make any more power than the best fuel the car was tuned for and it won't blow up on poo poo fuel

fyallm posted:

I'm doing 93 only so far with mine. I didnt want to go down to 91, but if it's ethanol free I guess it should be fine. What about 115? Will it make me take off and fly above the other cars?

it'll kill your cats because it has lead in it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Alright I'm sick of my e36 wanting to die on startup when the engine is cold. It's also throwing o2 sensor codes and I'm %99 sure it's the idle control valve that needs to be cleaned out.

I ordered new hoses in case the old ones are cracked. Has anyone taken out the ICV on an e36 (M3 in particular)? Some guides say you need to remove the entire manifold others claim you can get by with just removing the throttle body.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
does it act the same if you unplug the maf?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

does it act the same if you unplug the maf?

Yeah no real improvement with the MAF unplugged. I did use some MAF cleaner and I think that made a slight improvement but everything I'm reading online seems to point to the ICV being dirty. Once the car is warmed up it runs fine but a cold start it really struggles unless you hold it at 2k RPM.

I bought ICV hoses to replace well I'm in there as it's a 96 and they could be split by now. I'm really hoping it's just the ICV.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Hello thread. Got my first BMW today. Not new but a 2016 330D. Loving it so far.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Thats a good looking car, congrats. Do a burnout.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Thats a good looking car, congrats. Do a burnout.

It's an xDrive so proves a bit of a challenge. Launches like a bat out of hell though.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Popete posted:

Alright I'm sick of my e36 wanting to die on startup when the engine is cold. It's also throwing o2 sensor codes and I'm %99 sure it's the idle control valve that needs to be cleaned out.

I ordered new hoses in case the old ones are cracked. Has anyone taken out the ICV on an e36 (M3 in particular)? Some guides say you need to remove the entire manifold others claim you can get by with just removing the throttle body.

Not sure why you'd need to remove the manifold, at least on an OBD2 car. 3 bolts hold the ICV rubber clamp on and it just has a grommet where it pushes into the manifold. Order a new grommet cause those can crack and will cause big vacuum leaks.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Crustashio posted:

Not sure why you'd need to remove the manifold, at least on an OBD2 car. 3 bolts hold the ICV rubber clamp on and it just has a grommet where it pushes into the manifold. Order a new grommet cause those can crack and will cause big vacuum leaks.

I really should have done more research ahead of time cause I keep finding new seals/grommets/hoses that I should replace well I'm in there.

Mine is a 96 so OBDII, maybe it's more of a pain in the butt to get in there with an OBDI car.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
700ish miles on my E36/5 now, doing well

Also re: BMWs and winter tires - I’ve been daily driving an E30 for ten years. Winters and a limited slip and you’re good to go until you high center the car.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Obligatory E92 M3 on a canyon video for the new friend:
https://vimeo.com/205473283

For futher topicality, this is using a couple gallons of California's finest commonly-available 91 octane (Shell) + 6 gallons of a 99 octane "Race Gas" that I can buy at a Chevron in Reseda (not actually race gas, not leaded), the butt & ear dyno says it's a *little* more ferocious with the fuller octane option, but.... it's not soft without it either.

I grew up driving RWD volvos in snow for 5 months a year and can affirm that it is fantastic to have oversteer on demand - and also that the balance/LSD powers of the E9x M3 in drift angles will be outstanding on snow if you're even mildly good with your feet and hands.

We're getting close to new video season! Finally cooling off enough to make it enjoyable, family sightseeing day outs and tourists are hosed off for the year, and also with the winter weather we get much clearer skies over the water for the quality of the views off to the distance when near the ocean.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
The canyon run video is just making me want a high revving V8 even more.

So what’s the situation regarding the S65 and the rod bearings? From what I’ve read, they don’t have enough clearance for lubrication which causes failure? Man that scares me, that sounds like a hell of a job to fix. I suppose I should be looking for E90/E92s that have an aftermarket bearing then, unless this is not as bad as people are making it out to be

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

dk2m posted:

The canyon run video is just making me want a high revving V8 even more.

So what’s the situation regarding the S65 and the rod bearings? From what I’ve read, they don’t have enough clearance for lubrication which causes failure? Man that scares me, that sounds like a hell of a job to fix. I suppose I should be looking for E90/E92s that have an aftermarket bearing then, unless this is not as bad as people are making it out to be

It's a known issue. It can show between 20k and 120k miles. It's a ~$3-4k repair. Get oil samples tested by Blackstone, their analysis can tell you about bearing degradation well before it becomes a damage issue. Then get the repair and drive it again.

Basically, know that it's possible if it hasn't happened yet and make sure you have the $$$ to cover it if it does happen. After the replacement, they seem to be pretty bulletproof.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
So after a summer of searching I finally found my near ideal E82 135i. I finally had some decent money to spend on a car and it was a toss up between a E92 M3, a C7 Grand Sport, and a 135i or 1M. The M3 was destined to be a classic and fast as balls but always felt way to heavy to me and as big as a battleship much like the M6. The C7 is a serious car and can go toe to toe with some of the best sports cars in the world but it was the most expensive of the three, just screams mid life crisis, is impractical, and I've already got a C3 so I'm covered in the pussy magnet department for the next time I get divorced. Although I may regret it when I see one go for auction at Meekum for $100k+ in ten years The 1M was a little more than I wanted to initially spend and it would be a crime to modify it. This led me to the 135i which is in my opinion the last real BMW.

I initially fell in love with this car the first time I saw one in person and noticed the high roof line and minuscule size in relation to modern cars. I parked my E30 next to it and it actually looked like a proper evolution of the design as opposed to the current 3 series witch seems to dwarf my E39 MSportWagon. As soon as I sat in one I adored the visibility as well as the simplicity of the E82 console and dash setup. gently caress IDrive.

So this car is fast as gently caress. Instant power and near nonexistent turbo lag. The manual transmission is silky smooth with a wide ratio that along with the hill assist makes driving the streets of San Francisco a breeze. HYDROLIC loving STEERING. The reason the M2 was never even a contender for my list. Yeah it's fast but I drove one and instantly knew I could never own that car. I even managed to find one with a 6 speed in CA that wasn't black on black. I wound up with Space Grey with Terra interior..

One of the biggest sells for me was the tuneability of the N54 wherein comes my question. I have a laundry list of improvements that I'm planning on doing and would like advise on both modification and preventative maintenance. I'm a professional mechanic specializing in vintage BMWs and while I do have a fair amount of experience doing general service work on modern BMWs I have little to no experience with BMW forced induction or modern ECU flashing/tuning. I have a benchmark of wanting to hit at least 420HP to put me on an even keel with the M3/C7/1M. The trick is I have to keep it CA smog legal at least at time of inspection so I don't want to spent two days under the thing every time I have to re test.

I'm planning on doing the following for now but would love suggestions and good sources for parts.

Stage 1
Full fluid flush
Full brake job with SS lines and carbon ceramic pads
Bilstein Struts and Eibach springs
JB4 Tune (Advise on this would be greatly appreciated.)
Turbo Wastgate rebuild
Inspection and systematic replacement of bushings with polyurethane where worn
M3 Control Arms

Stage 2 (I need suggestions on all the following parts)
FMIC
Intake
Downpipes
Oil Catchcan
Charge Pipe + BOV
335i Clutch

Stage 3
Pure Turbos
1M Bumpers
Apex 8 Wheels with track rubber
Ricaro Sportster Gts
?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

James Woods posted:

So this car is fast as gently caress.

And you're stock. There's another world that opens up with the MHD app and an hour of time. For less than $200, that is the best bang for the buck I have EVER seen in car modding.

I'm currently running the MHD Stage 1+ 93 Octane map in my E61, with just DCI and fresh maintenance. It's unreasonably fast for such a big car.

I think the JB4's time has come and gone. Unless you're looking for 500whp+, the MHD will be all you need, especially with downpipes and FMIC. You're not going to stay carb legal with downpipes, though.

Why are you looking at wastegate rebuilds? Do you have the rattle? I was lucky and my PO ate the cost of new turbos on mine a couple years back.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

James Woods posted:

So after a summer of searching I finally found my near ideal E82 135i.

Pics fucker

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lol this is already bid up to 20k with 5 days left on it

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-bmw-325is-4/

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Hello thread. Got my first BMW today. Not new but a 2016 330D. Loving it so far.

My wife has a 430d xDrive, which is presumably the same engine. It's a great motor - not bad efficiency given the oomph it offers. Car looks nice in estate form and I approve of the colour. Enjoy driving it!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

James Woods posted:

I'm planning on doing the following for now but would love suggestions and good sources for parts.

Stage 1
Full fluid flush
Full brake job with SS lines and carbon ceramic pads
Bilstein Struts and Eibach springs
JB4 Tune (Advise on this would be greatly appreciated.)
Turbo Wastgate rebuild
Inspection and systematic replacement of bushings with polyurethane where worn
M3 Control Arms

Stage 2 (I need suggestions on all the following parts)
FMIC
Intake
Downpipes
Oil Catchcan
Charge Pipe + BOV
335i Clutch

Since lightbulbout just had me looking up suspension parts for his 318 I checked on bilsteins for your car too. Unfortunately there have basically been none available all year in a lot of applicatios. They are having supplier issues or manufacturing issues or re-tooling equipment or something. Those are all things I've been told. Earlier this year it was "august," now I'm getting "another month or two." Anyway, what that means is that getting a set of bilsteins before, like, January probably isn't going to happen.

Alternative option would be something like KW variant 1s. Similar to Bilsteins and springs but with height adjustment, not a big difference in price. V2 adds a rebound knob for about $300.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 26, 2018

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
re: S65 Rod Bearings issues:
It's an actual problem, but it's also not something that is really happening to a lot of them - most people don't go on the internet to complain that their car is not broken. A bad failure of it them is a terrifying concept so I think the worry of the potential of it gets overblown, but you should be careful and take care to avoid the signs of there being an issue.

Like meatpimp said, it's easy to keep an eye on it with religious Blackstoneing your oil, and then taking prophylactic action if you start to see iron or copper in the blood, you can get it done for about $2-$3k in SoCal if you keep your eye out for the various known-good-installers of them to do their regular sales (on like m3post.com or whatever).

When I bought mine, I didn't worry at all about it (my car had 16k miles on it when I bought it) because the fun of the car far outweighs any potential of (relatively easy to prevent with careful maintenance) issues like that. I have not seen issues with my Blackstone reports yet but will continue to run them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The problem with that is the later ones that are tin aluminum, not lead copper
Too bad MPG sucks balls, I don't really want to literally double my gas budget to $600/mo

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

meatpimp posted:

And you're stock. There's another world that opens up with the MHD app and an hour of time. For less than $200, that is the best bang for the buck I have EVER seen in car modding.

I'm currently running the MHD Stage 1+ 93 Octane map in my E61, with just DCI and fresh maintenance. It's unreasonably fast for such a big car.

I think the JB4's time has come and gone. Unless you're looking for 500whp+, the MHD will be all you need, especially with downpipes and FMIC. You're not going to stay carb legal with downpipes, though.

Why are you looking at wastegate rebuilds? Do you have the rattle? I was lucky and my PO ate the cost of new turbos on mine a couple years back.

I'll have to consider the MHD as it seems to have most of the features I'm going for. I was steering toward JB4 because I wanted to be able to switch maps on the fly with my phone, have E85 blend support, and the option for a Valet mode for when my wife is driving it. I'm willing to swap downpipes for CARB as they're easily accessible when on my lift.

And yeah I have a little wastegate rattle. I couldn't get the seller to bring it to my shop so I had to do the inspection in a parking lot and like an idiot didn't put it in an alley or parking garage where I could easily hear the echo of the rattle. The turbo longevity is the only thing that really concerns me mechanically. When they go I want to switch to the Pure Turbos since they're built on the original housing but provide 40+HP and can handle more boost. That's the one job I may farm out to another BMW shop owner I know. I got a boxer's fracture earlier this year and still don't have the dexterity or strength in my hand that I'd like for that kind of job.

jamal posted:

Since lightbulbout just had me looking up suspension parts for his 318 I checked on bilsteins for your car too. Unfortunately there have basically been none available all year in a lot of applicatios. They are having supplier issues or manufacturing issues or re-tooling equipment or something. Those are all things I've been told. Earlier this year it was "august," now I'm getting "another month or two." Anyway, what that means is that getting a set of bilsteins before, like, January probably isn't going to happen.

Alternative option would be something like KW variant 1s. Similar to Bilsteins and springs but with height adjustment, not a big difference in price. V2 adds a rebound knob for about $300.

That's a bummer especially since I as planning on buying a front set for my wife's 318ti as well. These guys have this listed https://www.bimmerworld.com/Bilstein-B12-Pro-Kit-Front-and-Rear-46-180537.html I'll have to drop them a line to see if they're in stock. I run Bilstein in all my BMWs so I'm willing to wait if necessary.

angryrobots posted:

Pics fucker

I tried to last night but my phone was giving me problems. I try again later today.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

religious Blackstoneing your oil
IMO, everyone with an S-Code engine should be doing this. Its the best way to get a head start on saving up for repair. Shame I didn't have one done during the PPI on my Z4M, as the first one I got done came back high in metals. I had just had the valve adjustment done and didn't feel like paying to crack it open again so I sold that car ASAP. One's on my short list for when my current lease is up in May.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Trip report, replacing the run flats with continental extreme contact dws 06.

A billion times better, holy poo poo.

It's much quieter, can take a speed bump and the suspension doesn't feel like you're in an F1 car going over loose debris in the road, such as palm fronds.

I can HIGHLY recommend replacing your run flats with real tires.

I loved those tires. Almost as much grip as the Pilot Sports and much easier on the wallet.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

dk2m posted:

How are BMWs in the snow, anyway? I assume as long as there’s a proper winter tire set it should be fine? I’ve been throwing around the idea of trading in my WRX for an E92 M3 but I’ve never owned a RWD car, so I honestly have no idea.

FWIW I drove my e46 330Ci from Syracuse to Oswego during an actual blizzard that caused the National Guard to be activated. I ran Blizzaks on it.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

angryrobots posted:

Pics fucker
I can't seem to get them down to size.

https://i.imgur.com/7AFIGA2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iWV0v34.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YE3EKhB.jpg

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Use [timg] it will auto downsize.

And that looks awesome!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

That is a very neat example. I'll have another one.... Some day.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my wife seems to like my gti a LOT more than her cx-5 and that's got me thinking about e90 m3 sedans or a chevy ss sedan :getin:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I haven't used MHD, just looked at it a bit. I'd go with that instead of a jb4. MHD is an actual tune, whereas jb4 is a piggy back thing that tricks the engine into running more boost without knowing it.

Also, looks like my left rear abs sensor died. Appears that wouldn't be that bad to replace if I had a jack of some kind. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

my wife seems to like my gti a LOT more than her cx-5 and that's got me thinking about e90 m3 sedans or a chevy ss sedan :getin:

That's really a strange cross-shop that comes down to one question -- do you want gobs of torque or high-strung power?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Looking good. There's a guy around here who has one of these putting down 450hp / 450ftlbs and it's absolutely nuts. He does spend as much time fixing it as driving it at the track...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

meatpimp posted:

That's really a strange cross-shop that comes down to one question -- do you want gobs of torque or high-strung power?

they're both fast v8 sedans m8

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BraveUlysses posted:

they're both fast v8 sedans m8

Have you driven both? They are not even remotely similar.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

For the tunes, I'd say get a JB4 if you still have a warranty left or want to run methanol injection. MHD if you don't need that, though I'm not sure how long it takes to switch tunes on it.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

hitze posted:

I did score these Hella lights for $10 a piece to replace the Depo lights that came with the car, just need to polish em up.

Only done one light so far, first try came out P Dece. I think I'm going to go back and sand and polish it again. There's a couple spots that are iffy. The adjusters are broken and I'm probably going to swap the projectors out with some EvoX-R 2.0 projectors. While I'm in there I can wipe up the water that leaked in there when I was sanding!

hitze fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
yeah im that guy