Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

That’s because the Pro controller (reminder: officially designed and released by Nintendo) has the worst D-pad of any current gen console.

What a world we live in.
Maybe it's because I have monster hands, but I'm not super jazzed about the triggers either. They seem shallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

dragon enthusiast posted:

Puyo Puyo eSports is out on Switch now with a -75% launch discount, taking the price down to 500 yen

WE ESPORTS NOW BABY

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
Thinking of buying a switch (I love my Wii U, played it almost daily along with my PS4 before it broke during a move), any good bundles coming up that I should look out for (Diablo / Super Smash Brothers)?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sirbloody posted:

Thinking of buying a switch (I love my Wii U, played it almost daily along with my PS4 before it broke during a move), any good bundles coming up that I should look out for (Diablo / Super Smash Brothers)?

Pokemon Lets Go will net you a cute switch with a bad game

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah there's bundles for Diablo and Smash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE5je2uG8v4

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Sirbloody posted:

Both those are getting bundles, as well as a bunch of others. The Diablo one has a themed dock I think. Anyway you'll be spoiled for choices pretty soon

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sirbloody posted:

Bundles for each with special docks and joycons come out early next month. The Smash one comes with a code for the game but it won’t be downloadable until Dec 7.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

bushisms.txt posted:

The new fortnight event is actually taking on CoD, but only the zombies.
But Fortnight was already a zombies game, before they added that Battle Royale mode.
Everything's going in circles now.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I met Solare, and it's as if he was looking at different surroundings than I was; like no matter how much this world tried to get me down, he was impervious to it.
:unsmith:

:can: ... :smith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its better this way. If you save him he links the flame. Even if you get the best hat in the game for saving him

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Barudak posted:

Pokemon Lets Go will net you a cute switch with a bad game

whats wrong with lets go? is it out somewhere already getting bad reviews?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kly posted:

It is based on pokemon go and weirdly dated devotion to the original 151 so Ive no reason to believe Ill like it. It will in all honestly probably be a fine game, if not great for many people, especially the intended younger audience.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I can't believe there still isn't an obviously new rendition of the pro controller with the d-pad poo poo worked out

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

whaley posted:

I can't believe there still isn't an obviously new rendition of the pro controller with the d-pad poo poo worked out

I’m hoping the Smash one stealth fixes it. I’ll grab one then.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Barudak posted:

It is based on pokemon go and weirdly dated devotion to the original 151 so Ive no reason to believe Ill like it. It will in all honestly probably be a fine game, if not great for many people, especially the intended younger audience.

See also: people like me who haven't touched the game since Pokemon Silver. I hadn't even considered Pokemon until Go came out. I played that for about two months before the bugs, glitches and hurdles got to be too much.

It successfully got me jazzed for Let's Go Pikachu though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Did they finally explain the Super Mario timeline? I've had this theory that it all forks at Sunshine...

i just wanna know if he's still from brooklyn

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kly posted:

Nothing. Whiny babies like dumping on the game because it's not "real" Pokemon or whatever. I think the game looks cute as heck and I'm going to have a blast riding around with all my friends while my Eevee buddy hang out on my head and I will dress her in cute outfits.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I really don't care that Let's Go is gonna be a really casual game. The last couple mainline games were startlingly easy, even by pokemon story standards.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

What's wrong with the pro dpad?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There's no reason to think Let's Go will be bad.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Bombadilillo posted:

if you do something like push on the right side of the up button it inputs up and right

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My wife got really into Pokémon Go for a long time, but she didn't care for the 3DS games. She's interested in Let's Go, so I'm hoping playing that will make her want to play next year's "real" Pokémon game.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it’s really hard to get straight directions on there. i tried playing celeste with my friend’s pro controller a little and in that game you have an 8-way air dash and you usually need the exact right one. it was painful

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

Seems like everyone else hates it but I really like the joycon d-pad and wouldn't mind one on the pro controller haha

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

There’s not actually anything wrong with it; but it “rocks” a little so people mashing it with uncoordinated thumbs might for example rock it up while pressing mostly left.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Its not as bad but may give you flashbacks to the 360 dpad

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

whaley posted:

Seems like everyone else hates it but I really like the joycon d-pad and wouldn't mind one on the pro controller haha

I also really like the joycon dpad. It feels very precise and I played all of Celeste on it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imagine playing a Pokemon game after the absolute GOATs Gold and Silver

Yikes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So, Starlink. Good? I'm completely ignoring the RL toy aspect but I'm hearing it's pretty good for all that?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

FPzero posted:

I also really like the joycon dpad. It feels very precise and I played all of Celeste on it.

same here! and when they first announced the switch and showed that joycon d-pad I laughed at it and thought it was the worst idea ever. what an idiot

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Robot Hobo posted:

But Fortnight was already a zombies game, before they added that Battle Royale mode.
Everything's going in circles now.

Which was also started in response to Minecraft and zombies, which cod helped popularize early on with waw

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

whaley posted:

yah same

Shame Boner posted:

There’s not actually anything wrong with it; but it “rocks” a little so people mashing it with uncoordinated thumbs might for example rock it up while pressing mostly left.

excuse me my thumbs are VERY coordinated. iirc the hardest thing was actually getting a straight up.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Imagine playing a Pokemon game after the absolute GOATs Gold and Silver

Yikes

I genuinely feel that. Up until that point they feel like unique and charming 8 bit RPGs that work very very well within their constraints and are extremely inspired for a game boy title. Past that, it just doesn't play, look, or feel good enough for me to want anything to do with the franchise.

It still sells bonkers though so clearly other people enjoy it. More power to them, they have plenty of new poo poo to constantly look forward to.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

b_d posted:

excuse me my thumbs are VERY coordinated. iirc the hardest thing was actually getting a straight up.

That’s my experience, too. Up is the most sensitive to rock left or right by accident on my launch day pro pad. Another way of looking at it is that the “sweet spot” where it registers exactly up is smaller than than the one when hitting down. It’s not without a quirk but it’s not busted.

In 60 hours of Hollow Knight, I played exclusively d-pad and even with all that overhead swatting, bad inputs are exceedingly rare.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

hollow knight rarely needs you to do straight up as opposed to diagonal, and if you go back and forth it’s no big deal. celeste though you will 100% die if you get the wrong direction when you dash.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Shame Boner posted:

Now this is some pure Nintendo Apologist stuff right here.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Shame Boner posted:

Nah, it’s poo poo compared to every other dpad Nintendo has ever released except the GameCube one.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Shame Boner posted:

The older the pro controller, the more violently incorrect the inputs are. First and second generation controllers are an abomination, where as many as 50% of inputs can be wrong. Newer controllers that I have tested work much better so people think everything is fine. Honestly, the quality control of first year controllers on the Switch was quite bad.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah I used my friend's and it was fine. I have an 8bitdo SNES controller for my own, it's drat near perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

KingSlime posted:

I genuinely feel that. Up until that point they feel like unique and charming 8 bit RPGs that work very very well within their constraints and are extremely inspired for a game boy title. Past that, it just doesn't play, look, or feel good enough for me to want anything to do with the franchise.

It still sells bonkers though so clearly other people enjoy it. More power to them, they have plenty of new poo poo to constantly look forward to.
yeah, ironically enough I think the pokemon series has been way too resistant to evolving, even with the 3DS games they showed how reluctant they were to finally move on from grid based movement.
Gamefreak has made comment about how BOTW has inspired them to shake up the series and I hope that turns out to be the case, I would love Pokemon to go in a more open world direction.
I still like the turn based battles, but I find the way you progress through the world and single player story to be pretty boring. There's so much they could do to really change things, and if they're not gonna make any big changes I would at least like them to include a harder difficulty option so I had to actually think and pay attention during battles