Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

WSJ posted:

The weakness in the technology sector infiltrated other corners of the market, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average slumping more than 600 points. The blue-chip index and S&P 500 erased all of their 2018 gains

Like 2018 never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

Lmfao. Saw this on YouTube today.

Its really easy to ignore something that isn't happening. Its amazing how that works.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Did Pelosi remove her own spine and shove it into Schumer?!

https://twitter.com/MariannaNBCNews/status/1055192116639555590?s=19

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Goodbye market!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Bored As gently caress posted:

Lmfao. Saw this on YouTube today.

Maybe he talking about the Copts in Egypt and surrounding region?

:ssh: he's not talking about the copts

Also a current event.

https://abc11.com/military-plane-drops-humvee-over-harnett-county-neighborhood-officials-say/4548646/

tfa posted:

A C-17 military plane dropped a Humvee prematurely over a neighborhood in Harnett County Wednesday afternoon, Fort Bragg officials confirmed.
"A load of some kind was released early and we're looking into how it happened," said Michael Novogradac, a spokesman for the USArmy's Operational Test Command.

https://twitter.com/iandembling/status/1055193857447616513
https://twitter.com/WCCG1045FM/status/1055192228644249602

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I got bombed by humvee regularly while at Camp Mackall. Once at night, once in daylight.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

It didn't work out in this case, but dropping a Humvee through somebody's roof is probably the best use for it, honestly

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

The Iron Rose posted:

So what exactly are we to make of an attempt, however badly implemented, to essentially murder all Democratic leadership simultaneously.

Because dang if this isn't the grand hits from 2016 back with a vengeance

1. Super thankful they aren't targeting regular people right now

2. Not even getting almost murdered by shrapnel will cause DNC leadership to grow a spine

3. Kinda sad that this didn't scare Cuomo into a heart attack or something. Wish that man would keel over.

4. This is an absurd level coordination to have that many sent and timed out that well. Gonna be more than one guy.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BigDave posted:

Like 2018 never happened.

Hope you lose all your 2017 gains too you cunts.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Relentlessboredomm posted:

4. This is an absurd level coordination to have that many sent and timed out that well. Gonna be more than one guy.
A non dipshits maybe. Would be hilarious if they planned it on Facebook.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Police pursuit in Baltimore if you're into that kind of thing

e: he bailed, loser

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 24, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ehhh...USPS is an amazing organization despite the GOP trying to discredit it as yet another mismanaged federal overreach.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

M_Gargantua posted:

Ehhh...USPS is an amazing organization despite the GOP trying to discredit it as yet another mismanaged federal overreach.

No joke the UPS and the IRS are the unsung heroes of America

E: gently caress

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 24, 2018

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

No joke the UPS and the IRA are the unsung heroes of America

:yikes:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

I remember from one of the old cop threads that postal inspectors are one part of law enforcement that you REALLY don’t want to gently caress with.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I remember from one of the old cop threads that postal inspectors are one part of law enforcement that you REALLY don’t want to gently caress with.

I checked up on a guy I went to school with who became a CRO and he's working in postal inspection now

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

You guys have heard of the post office before right :confused:

efb

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

They have your address.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

FrozenVent posted:

They have your address.

Reminds me of this

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1055085126776995842

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1055206125241622535?fbclid=IwAR0Q1bUPCt_ZVuDFLx8Zm4P2hzVNc-tIbs7Bx37XABjzxb_I4UVCsvAcLwM

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Found out my chiropractor is an anti-vax person.

Cool.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Soulex posted:

Cool.

Why is that surprising? Pseudoscience like that is kinda their thing?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

Cool.

why do you even go to a chiropractor

go to an actually trained person

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Soulex posted:

Cool.

That's pretty much a normal belief for a Chiro. Move on from them.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Can you imagine being a spy for China/Russia and having an INCREDIBLE amount of access to the President's calls...

... and it turns out he's such a gigantic idiot that it nets you zero value?

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1055218376505733120

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1055224228801339395

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

quote:

Mr. Trump’s aides have repeatedly warned him that his cellphone calls are not secure, and they have told him that Russian spies are routinely eavesdropping on the calls, as well. But aides say the voluble president, who has been pressured into using his secure White House landline more often these days, has still refused to give up his iPhones. White House officials say they can only hope he refrains from discussing classified information when he is on them.

Mr. Trump’s use of his iPhones was detailed by several current and former officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity so they could discuss classified intelligence and sensitive security arrangements. The officials said they were doing so not to undermine Mr. Trump, but out of frustration with what they considered the president’s casual approach to electronic security.

The officials said they have also determined that China is seeking to use what it is learning from the calls — how Mr. Trump thinks, what arguments tend to sway him and to whom he is inclined to listen — to keep a trade war with the United States from escalating further. In what amounts to a marriage of lobbying and espionage, the Chinese have pieced together a list of the people with whom Mr. Trump regularly speaks in hopes of using them to influence the president, the officials said.

:nsamad:

Per NYT.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Va told me to go to Chiro so i did.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Soulex posted:

Cool.

This is like the time I found out my astrologer didn't believe in germ theory!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

Va told me to go to Chiro so i did.

this is the VA fuckin you

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

mlmp08 posted:

:nsamad:

Per NYT.

this owns

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Doesn't the VA authorize acupuncture now

I got cupped every day when I went to physical therapy for a few weeks. I'd never been so free of thetans.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

acupuncture and chiropractors have been proven to help with chronic pain and are probably better avenues to explore than just giving people handfuls of opiods as a first step. :ssh:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The legitimate version of that is massage therapy or physical therapy. They have to go to more school than chiros too

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

acupuncture and chiropractors have been proven to help with chronic pain and are probably better avenues to explore than just giving people handfuls of opiods as a first step. :ssh:

Why not tell people to... I dunno... some sort of sports rehab clinic or get a massage instead?

edit:

Fallom posted:

I got cupped every day when I went to physical therapy for a few weeks. I'd never been so free of thetans.

A friend of mine went and got "certified" to do cupping as part of her Massage business, I did it once, and lemme tell you holy poo poo I would never do that again. I looked like I had been beaten and everything felt real tender.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 24, 2018

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Why not tell people to... I dunno... some sort of sports rehab clinic or get a massage instead?

because acupuncture and chiropractic stuff work too :ssh:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

my nuclear hot take is: the best pain management plan is the one that works best for the patient and since everyone experiences pain differently sometimes that includes acupuncture and chiropractic manipulation

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 25, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

my nuclear hot take is: the best pain management plan is the one that works best for the patient and since everyone experiences pain differently something that includes acupuncture and chiropractic manipulation

there are non-woo massage peeps

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yes yes I'm aware of the placebo effect and that "eastern alternative medicine" and swinging pocket watches hypnotize the pain away from people who genuinely believe in magic.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

because acupuncture and chiropractic stuff work too :ssh:

Spinal manipulation by a shittily trained self-declared chiropractor can wind up with you dead or paralyzed. Chiropractic is quack poo poo just like homeopathy is complete garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Acupuncture has no supporting evidence whatsoever, so I don't know what you are talking about at all. https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/acupuncture-doesnt-work/

quote:

“Is there really any need for more studies? Ernst et al.18 point out that the positive studies conclude that acupuncture relieves pain in some conditions but not in other very similar conditions. What would you think if a new pain pill was shown to relieve musculoskeletal pain in the arms but not in the legs? The most parsimonious explanation is that the positive studies are false positives. In his seminal article on why most published research findings are false, Ioannidis32 points out that when a popular but ineffective treatment is studied, false positive results are common for multiple reasons, including bias and low prior probability.”

And a chiropractor is just as likely to relieve your pain as he is to cause you to have a stroke or become paralyzed due to poor spinal manipulation.

Your spine is the home if your central nervous system, do NOT encourage someone to twist/bend it who isn't a neurosurgeon or a qualified medical massage artists (who isn't going to try to 'manipulate' your spinal column anyways.)

https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/chirostroke.html

quote:

I have been doing a vascular surgery rotation for the past month, which is part of my postgraduate medical education. During my chiropractic training, when the subject of manipulation-induced stroke was brought up, we were reassured that "millions of chiropractic adjustments are made each year and only a few incidents of stroke have been reported following neck manipulation." I recently found that two of the patients on my vascular service that suffered a cerebrovascular accident (stroke) had undergone neck manipulation by a chiropractor, one the day that symptoms had begun and the other four days afterward. If indeed the incidence of stroke is rare, one M.D. would see a case of manipulation-induced CVA about every 10 years. But I believe I have seen two in the past month! I therefore urge my medical colleagues to question their patients regarding recent visits to a chiropractor/neck manipulation when confronted with patients that present with the neurologic symptoms of stroke. I also urge potential chiropractic patients to not allow their necks to be manipulated in any way. The risk-to-benefit ratio is much too high to warrant such a procedure.

—Rob Alexander, M.D.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 25, 2018

• Locked thread