Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Spacedad posted:

Yep. Yep. Yep. All correct. Guilty as charged.

I bought this game knowing full well about all of this. Like I said, I wanted to see how badly they hosed this up. And if there's some fun in there too or they manage to sufficiently fix things, good.

It's weird but I actually wasn't sold on this game until I heard a dev in a documentary about the game's making-of that they pretty much used the gamebryo engine but ripped out the parts that made the player's vision the center of the game engine's universe. I knew that would inevitably lead to a LOT of corner-cutting and jury-rigging in the game. So I decided to get it just to see how they hosed up or where they succeeded in backending this single-player engine for multiplayer.

You are part of the problem. Stop this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Will you be my spacedad

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'll jump face-first into the jank so you won't have to.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you and others like you didn't, maybe we'd start getting games from Bethesda that weren't janky messes :thunk:

Anyone got any bets on Metacritic score? I think we might actually get 60s and 70s

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Bardeh posted:

If you and others like you didn't, maybe we'd start getting games from Bethesda that weren't janky messes :thunk:

:yeah:

I mean, I'm not convinced the Bethesda has the actual ability to make a good competent game, but certainly they never will while people happily buy trash.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bardeh posted:

Anyone got any bets on Metacritic score? I think we might actually get 60s and 70s

there is no way that it gonna be in the 60s, It will probably be somewhere between 74-78

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
*shovelling handfuls of turd into my mouth* listen i know its bad but i actually ENJOY bad things??? when u think about it im actually a hero doing this so you dont have to

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

If this game turns out to be a disaster I'm reasonably confident there'll be enough consumer backlash to warrant refunds.

If it turns out okay, then I paid $60 for a mediocre multiplayer adaption of a franchise using an engine that was long in the teeth.

From what I saw in the streams of people playing, it looks very buggy but reasonably fun. Aside from the bugs, I'm only worried about how the game plays over longer periods - if the endgame involving nukes and so on is any good.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

there is no way that it gonna be in the 60s, It will probably be somewhere between 74-78

80-90. It won't deserve it, but thats what it'll have because people are poo poo.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

They seem to be doing a terrible job of controlling the message unless they were aiming for 'tepid, bordering on hostile' so I don't know of it's working... or maybe they were hoping that all those early access streams would pressure people into preordering as well since they have no will power.
It's funny, if Bethesda had treated Fallout: 76 like an early-access game and had it on Steam for $15 or $20 under "early access" they could have done exactly what they've been doing but with a more positive vibe, far fewer negative reactions, and very little negative press.

Instead, they're releasing this game on their own exclusive launcher as a full $60 AAA game when it's very clearly not at that level, and won't be for probably a year at least. And people are reacting exactly how you'd expect.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 24, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i can assure you that there are far more enjoyable uses of time and money than spending sixty dollars to be a Bethesda bug tester

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Spacedad posted:

If this game turns out to be a disaster I'm reasonably confident there'll be enough consumer backlash to warrant refunds.

Are you making GBS threads me

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Saladin Rising posted:

It's funny, if Bethesda had treated Fallout: 76 like an early-access game and had it for $15 or $20 on Steam under "early access" they could have done exactly what they've been doing but with a more positive vibe, far fewer negative reactions, and very little negative press.

Instead, they're releasing this game on Bethesda's exclusive launcher as a full $60 AAA game when it's very clearly not at that level, and won't be for probably a year at least. And people are reacting exactly how you'd expect.

Literally they should have made the game's current launch date into the start of the game's open-beta - and then let that run for a month or more as they fix things for the real launch. Technically it would have been the same thing except they could have blunted the potential backlash over releasing the game in a buggy state.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Spacedad posted:

If it turns out okay, then I paid $60 for a mediocre multiplayer adaption of a franchise using an engine that was long in the teeth.

From what I saw in the streams of people playing, it looks very buggy but reasonably fun. Aside from the bugs, I'm only worried about how the game plays over longer periods - if the endgame involving nukes and so on is any good.

setting everything else aside I'm flabbergasted anyone could find the samey "run through inexplicably abandoned and decayed things with nonsense factions and radiant quests to pick up a broom or paint thinner" model fun. Fallout games are good for their writing, not the billionth time you unlock a locker with half the top broken off and find an Iron, 2 bullets, and a Tomato

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Spacedad posted:

lmao

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

*licks poo poo-smeared lips* upon realizing i have actually eaten faeces, im sure the waiter will be back soon to allow me to get a refund

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Don't worry Spacedad, I disagree with your life choices but I don't think you're an idiot. You're okay by me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fallout metacritic 76. Please signal boost

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Spacedads descent into hating this game is now the thread subject

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Fallout metacritic 76

can a mod do the needful and change the thread title please

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Part of me doesn't want to see this game fail because I love Fallout and am a long time fan.

But another part of me does want this to fail because Bethesda won't learn anything otherwise, and because I'm reasonably certain that if some B-team cash grab goes off the rails it won't torpedo the franchise.

The latter part of me is much larger than the former.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the most regarded mods for the Witcher 3? I know this question has nothing to do Fallout 76 but I'm inspired to play it again after being so let down since 76's announcement. They could have outsourced the licence into making another New Vegas-style RPG or a fully fleshed-out Fallout Shelter. Trying to make a multiplayer-only game on the Morrowind engine feels like a mistake.

What's the appeal of 76 when it comes after Kassandra's Odyssey and Red Dead Developer Crunch 2?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Clawtopsy posted:

*shovelling handfuls of turd into my mouth* listen i know its bad but i actually ENJOY bad things??? when u think about it im actually a hero doing this so you dont have to

Let the SPACEDADS!!! eat what they want!..LOL..Come on out to Vault 76!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Spacedad posted:

You are delusional

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Donovan Trip posted:

Spacedads descent into hating this game is now the thread subject

Fallout 76: Shart of Darkness

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Spacedad posted:

this isn't an upside

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Part of me doesn't want to see this game fail because I love Fallout and am a long time fan.

But another part of me does want this to fail because Bethesda won't learn anything otherwise, and because I'm reasonably certain that if some B-team cash grab goes off the rails it won't torpedo the franchise.

Bethesda are developing starfield and TES6, so you're looking at a decade until Fallout 5 either way

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I think how things are going now is actually an okay sign for the future of the Fallout series.

Bethesda seem to already be aware that people aren't very happy with FO:76 (hence the letter the put out), and the game will get mediocre sales, mediocre reviews, and the number of players will start to decline after a month or two, especially after Red Dead Redemption 2 releases. Throughout all of this, the message has been and will be fairly clear that the issues are with Fallout: 76 and the design choices for it, not Fallout in general.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Donovan Trip posted:

Bethesda are developing starfield and TES6, so you're looking at a decade until Fallout 5 either way

That's okay - if it's a ways away then I'll wait. I just want it to be worth the wait when the time comes. ([Morgan Freeman Narrator Voice]: It wasn't worth the wait.)

I also don't want them applying stupid poo poo like this to the next TES or Starfield since I'll probably want to play them, too. Without all the tacked on BS 76 is getting.

If any of the modifications they are making to the engine end up making future games better than I'll be happy since it seems like Gambryo isn't going anywhere soon.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 24, 2018

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Saladin Rising posted:

I think how things are going now is actually an okay sign for the future of the Fallout series.

Bethesda seem to already be aware that people aren't very happy with FO:76 (hence the letter the put out), and the game will get mediocre sales, mediocre reviews, and the number of players will start to decline after a month or two, especially after Red Dead Redemption 2 releases. Throughout all of this, the message has been and will be fairly clear that the issues are with Fallout: 76 and the design choices for it, not Fallout in general.

Rdr2 comes out tomorrow and it's multiplayer mode launches mid November *cough*

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Donovan Trip posted:

Rdr2 comes out tomorrow and it's multiplayer mode launches mid November *cough*

When I can play it on PC I'll care. Stupid console only games.

JohnLovely
Aug 15, 2017

by Athanatos
Grimey Drawer
game looks like dogshit yo

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I AM GOING TO PLAY AND ENJOY THIS GAME AND NOTHING WILL STOP ME FROM DOING SO

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Agent355 posted:

Don't worry Spacedad, I disagree with your life choices but I don't think you're an idiot. You're okay by me.

he's really dumb but at least he's not flipping out and calling everyone who doesn't like the game autistic

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Don't call people names it's mean

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr Hootington posted:

I AM GOING TO PLAY AND ENJOY THIS GAME AND NOTHING WILL STOP ME FROM DOING SO

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it just works

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Spacedad posted:

I'll jump face-first into the jank so you won't have to.

Spending $60 on a bad game on purpose to own the developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Todd wants people to break the game? The one thing you can count on is Bethesda games breaking themselves without player input.

The latest example I stumbled upon was the Workshop menu in Fallout 4. You know how it lags for a few seconds when you press the key? And it gets worse the more settlement mods you pile on? That's because every time you press that key, the game checks every single item record to see if it can be placed in your settlement, even the ones that wouldn't make sense. It does so all over again for each submenu and doesn't cache the results.

A modder fixed it last week.