Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MeinPanzer posted:

So it sounds like the cheapest founder's pack is the way to go. What's the ETA on the next campaign being released?

Some sort of update (palantir views disappearing as currency so use them asap) and a "very hard" standalone quest (free) on the 23rd.

They're very slow in adding content which isn't helping their tiny player base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

sassassin posted:

Some sort of update (palantir views disappearing as currency so use them asap) and a "very hard" standalone quest (free) on the 23rd.

Welp, I took the dive and got the cheapest founder's pack, so let's see how this goes.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

sassassin posted:

Last I saw the roadmap, they weren't planning on adding anything big (e.g., scenarios, heroes) until release. Given that they had to/still have to sort stuff like server issues and the economy and co-op, it's probably for the best that they don't inject too much stuff that they'll have to retroactively change. Gamers are, after all, known to be an understanding community when it comes to sudden changes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GrandpaPants posted:

Last I saw the roadmap, they weren't planning on adding anything big (e.g., scenarios, heroes) until release. Given that they had to/still have to sort stuff like server issues and the economy and co-op, it's probably for the best that they don't inject too much stuff that they'll have to retroactively change. Gamers are, after all, known to be an understanding community when it comes to sudden changes.

The roadmap hasn't been accurate for months. But yeah, they apparently weren't planning to add anything new until they'd done 4-6 months of Early Access.

A more professional outfit would be regularly dripping out new cards and heroes over this whole period to maintain interest and, you know, actually test out concepts and ideas.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Does a pack not give you all the cards it shows in it? I bought the Legolas pack with valor points but when I went to build a deck it told me that I needed to buy Hands Upon the Bow for another 3000 valor points. Is this the way it's supposed to work?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

It should have given you a single copy of each of the cards it shows on it, yeah. If you were trying to get a second one in your deck that would require making the second copy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Note that they did say they'll be giving out the second copy at some point so don't spent VP on it just yet.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Weird, it doesn’t show up as a card I own despite buying the pack... maybe I’ll restart and see if I can put it into my deck.

Also, I’ve noticed that towards the end of rounds, there will be times when I can play several actions in a row without Sauron doing anything, and basically the only thing that ends this is when I specifically end the round. This is despite the fact that Sauron often has resources and sometimes even units that aren’t exhausted. At first I thought this was an error, but it seems to happen pretty often. What’s going on with this?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MeinPanzer posted:

Weird, it doesn’t show up as a card I own despite buying the pack... maybe I’ll restart and see if I can put it into my deck.

Also, I’ve noticed that towards the end of rounds, there will be times when I can play several actions in a row without Sauron doing anything, and basically the only thing that ends this is when I specifically end the round. This is despite the fact that Sauron often has resources and sometimes even units that aren’t exhausted. At first I thought this was an error, but it seems to happen pretty often. What’s going on with this?

iirc Hands Upon The Bow requires two Tactics heroes to be able to put it in your deck. That's why it doesn't show up. It is a poorly explained deckbuilding mechanic.

Sauron can pass for lots of reasons. He isn't a clever maiar.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

sassassin posted:

iirc Hands Upon The Bow requires two Tactics heroes to be able to put it in your deck. That's why it doesn't show up. It is a poorly explained deckbuilding mechanic.

OK, that explains it! Thanks.

quote:

Sauron can pass for lots of reasons. He isn't a clever maiar.

In these instances it doesn't state that Sauron passes like it normally does, though. I can just perform a bunch of actions in a row without interruption until I choose to end the round.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When he passes once that's it, his turn is over and you can go on as long as you like.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is this the place to ask about Ashes: Rise of the Phenioxborn, or is this thread for FFG games only?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

BigRed0427 posted:

Is this the place to ask about Ashes: Rise of the Phenioxborn, or is this thread for FFG games only?

I'll talk about Ashes, although I fell off it when it took forever for them to get the 3rd and 4th Phoenixborn packs out.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

This thread seems to be the weird orphan thread of upcoming/nascent LCGs before they get spun off into their own thread, so I don't think there's much worry about clogging it up.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Cool. I just picked up the core set and a few of the booster decks. It looks fun and perfect for someone who burned out of Magic. According to one of the guys at the store I picked it up at there is a group of people that play it, he just forgot when they usually come in.

I will fully admit the artwork for some of the characters sold me on the game.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The girl that did the art is really cute too. I like her colors a lot. Despite her art being pretty dark it's still very colorful at points and the colors aren't washed out.

Gamewise: It's a cool game. The dice are way more friendly than they are in Destiny and its very easy to "fix" when you really want to do something. The core set is fairly balanced though I recall the guy with the dolls and the one that looks like a Witcher are both not particularly good. The red head with the spirits is good and the Egyptian looking girl is probably the best because she has strong units and is the only one with a counterspell.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

One of the ones I bought was Victora, the Harley Quinn wanna be who uses just Illusionist dice. She gets a counter spell too. I understand the general idea with her is to keep her moving, Her Phenioxborn power and her exclusive card allow her to recycle dice, and three cards that go back into the deck when used.

But I am trying to wrap my head around how her creatures work and don't quite get it since they die from all damage.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 24, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

One of the ones I bought was Victora, the Harley Quinn wanna be who uses just Illusionist dice. She gets a counter spell too. I understand the general idea with her is to keep her moving, Her Phenioxborn power and her exclusive card allow her to recycle dice, and three cards that go back into the deck when used.

But I am trying to wrap my head around how her creatures work and don't quite get it since they die from all damage.

Sounds interesting, I haven't seen any of the new ones past the first 4 expansions. Looks like they're up to quite a few now. I thought once they got gobbled up into Asmodee they'd get some better market penetration out here in Asia but the only thing I ever see of their's for sale is Dead of Winter. Even Summoner Wars stuff isn't available past the first bit of stuff unless someone special orders it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Just finished the LOTR LCG campaign, and after some skepticism I have to say that I'm on board. The digital version feels a bit flatter than the tabletop, and I think that the loss of locations and questing has diminished the rich complexity of the tabletop game, but it's really fun to be able to pick up a game without having to spend a ton of time setting things up. I won't spend tabletop sums on content, but I will throw a few dollars here or there for hero packs and campaigns going forward.

Is there a rough ETA for full release? I've looked around online but I haven't been able to find anything.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MeinPanzer posted:

Just finished the LOTR LCG campaign, and after some skepticism I have to say that I'm on board. The digital version feels a bit flatter than the tabletop, and I think that the loss of locations and questing has diminished the rich complexity of the tabletop game, but it's really fun to be able to pick up a game without having to spend a ton of time setting things up. I won't spend tabletop sums on content, but I will throw a few dollars here or there for hero packs and campaigns going forward.

Is there a rough ETA for full release? I've looked around online but I haven't been able to find anything.

Months not weeks. But I might have seen that months ago. They're moving at a glacial pace.

It's a good game but there seems to be no desire to strike while any irons may be hot. Steam player numbers are abysmal and will only get lower leading up to the mythical full release date.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

sassassin posted:

Months not weeks. But I might have seen that months ago. They're moving at a glacial pace.

It's a good game but there seems to be no desire to strike while any irons may be hot. Steam player numbers are abysmal and will only get lower leading up to the mythical full release date.

That’s too bad. I’m perpetually mystified by FFG’s product release schedules of a few rapid releases followed by long periods of stagnation. I think they do a good job with a lot of things, but it certainly seems like they have a few too many licenses and games on the go to be able to maintain most of them (let’s be honest, everything beside X-Wing) in a way that sustains excitement and builds an interesting meta.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I think they're spending most of their time processing valour refunds one at a time because they've got no automated system in place and keep changing their minds on what should have cost money.

I've got something like 30k valour points now and I doubt there will be enough cards available to spend it on for 6 months to a year (and most of them will end up changed and then refunded probably, because nothing's coming out in the EA/beta period where testing and tweaking is acceptable).

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sassassin posted:

I think they're spending most of their time processing valour refunds one at a time because they've got no automated system in place and keep changing their minds on what should have cost money.

I've got something like 30k valour points now and I doubt there will be enough cards available to spend it on for 6 months to a year (and most of them will end up changed and then refunded probably, because nothing's coming out in the EA/beta period where testing and tweaking is acceptable).

I just realized I had a ton of palantir views stocked up that I forgot to use before they removed them from the game which kinda blows. I definitely haven't unlocked every card yet. Wish I got valor or something for those.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm just super worrier that they'll never reprint the 2nd LOTR LCG cycle and I'll always have a couple gaps in my collection. They've been "Awaiting Reprint" for like a year now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hauki posted:

I just realized I had a ton of palantir views stocked up that I forgot to use before they removed them from the game which kinda blows. I definitely haven't unlocked every card yet. Wish I got valor or something for those.

I used up 25 in one go and got nothing worthwhile that I wouldn't quickly earn from playing some actual content, should that ever happen. A bunch of pointless avatars, cards I doubt I'll ever use... I did get a Bombadil but I haven't looked at it to see what it does.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Healthy worlds meta

https://twitter.com/FFGOP/status/1058195708875026433

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

L5R doing well!

https://twitter.com/FFGOP/status/1058460240394575872

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I've been out of AGOT for a while but I'm glad Lannister fell off. They were really unfun to play against when I was actively playing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Chaotic Flame posted:

I've been out of AGOT for a while but I'm glad Lannister fell off. They were really unfun to play against when I was actively playing.

Targs burning your characters is a blast let me tell you

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Digital LOTR LCG was updated recently, including new valor cards and the first encounter quest. The cards are mostly pretty middling, but the quest is fun, including some more novel mechanics. I gave it a go with my power deck and died in the final encounter after Mordraur came back from the dead after I killed him the first time.

I'm glad they actually updated things and gave a taste of what we can expect from future updates, since it kind of seemed like it was languishing for a while.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MeinPanzer posted:

Digital LOTR LCG was updated recently, including new valor cards and the first encounter quest. The cards are mostly pretty middling, but the quest is fun, including some more novel mechanics. I gave it a go with my power deck and died in the final encounter after Mordraur came back from the dead after I killed him the first time.

I'm glad they actually updated things and gave a taste of what we can expect from future updates, since it kind of seemed like it was languishing for a while.

This rate of content is still languishing imo. Now that it's no longer a free to play game they've surely got to come up with a shitload of new quests and heroes to justify the cost. Barebones won't cut it any more.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Making it full pay to play killed any and all interest I had in it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

sassassin posted:

This rate of content is still languishing imo. Now that it's no longer a free to play game they've surely got to come up with a shitload of new quests and heroes to justify the cost. Barebones won't cut it any more.

This is absolutely true. I was skeptical about whether I'd like it or not when I tried it, but I have to admit that it's won me over and I'd really like to see it succeed now. It scratches that itch that the TT version did but without all the setup time and lugging of several pounds of cards around (which is a huge plus for me because I move around a lot). I have to believe that they are more likely to keep up with it since it's their first digital venture, but they've got to smarten up and make it more attractive for people who aren't already invested.

What are the best estimates currently for the first full expansion? January?

quote:

Making it full pay to play killed any and all interest I had in it.

I agree that it's off-putting, and I usually hate paying for digital content, but I have to say that the $5 I threw in for the Shire Pack has gone a long way, and I ended up getting way more satisfying gameplay (~16 hours by now) out of it than I anticipated.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MeinPanzer posted:

This is absolutely true. I was skeptical about whether I'd like it or not when I tried it, but I have to admit that it's won me over and I'd really like to see it succeed now. It scratches that itch that the TT version did but without all the setup time and lugging of several pounds of cards around (which is a huge plus for me because I move around a lot). I have to believe that they are more likely to keep up with it since it's their first digital venture, but they've got to smarten up and make it more attractive for people who aren't already invested.

What are the best estimates currently for the first full expansion? January?

They're outsourcing almost all of the dev work so cancelling it won't be a major hassle for them should they choose to. They've not hired a large full time staff for a studio, on their end it's a few designers sending emails to China.

The first expansion is "on the boat" so expect it early 2020.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
If anyone is missing any older cycles for LotR, I split up my collection and put it all on eBay. It was a sad decision, but it had to be done. Hanging onto Arkham for now though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has LCGs basically died there’s nothing new or interesting coming out unless I missed something besides Keyforge

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I think it's more that FFG was basically the only person making them and there's individual threads for all their games but GoT. I know there's threads for Arkham, L5R, and Keyforge (not really LCG but still).

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Don't forget the LotR LCG! It's good! People should play it!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Vs is still fun. Did a two player draft the past couple of weeks that was quite enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Epi Lepi posted:

Don't forget the LotR LCG! It's good! People should play it!

RIP