Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

from literally regurgitating Nazi propaganda to "well quibbling is gross"

magnificent

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

coathat posted:

I did appreciate the suggestion of listening to 40 hours of dad podcast to really educate yourself

Tbf, Hardcore History is great and time well spent.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zeroisanumber posted:

I used to listen to it working night shift, put it on and zone out and suddenly it's three hours later and j learned about some poo poo

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"The Soviets raped every Germanic looking girl" isn't true. They didn't even rape every woman or girl when they got to Germany. That doesn't mean Red Army soldiers didn't rape a lot of people because they did, it means that the rapes were overhyped by the Nazis to the point that people committed suicide over an inflated threat. The Americans committed atrocities in the Pacific theater too, which the Japanese made such a stink of that Japanese civilians voluntarily committed mass suicide instead of taking their chances with the Marines, but nobody ever claims the Americans "raped every Japanese looking girl they got their hands on." The amount of Red Army rapes also gets revised higher every year that WW2 ceases to become a living memory along with the 100 million killed by communism number.

if you wanna battle propaganda maybe don't spread more in the same breath like the "Japanese civilians and their children chose to die rather than dishonor their emperor and famiry" poo poo that sites like this use to justify the war crimes of hiroshima and nagasaki. even some random ww2 site is able to say that

quote:

Anyone who spoke against the military, spoke well of the Americans or questioned the suicide orders faced death as a ‘spy’.
totally consensual and misinformed suicides

VROOM VROOM has issued a correction as of 20:26 on Oct 24, 2018

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
This thread is filling with so many hot takes Im not sure it can contain them all.

We have a military history thread for this type of poo poo.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

VROOM VROOM posted:

if you wanna battle propaganda maybe don't spread more in the same breath like the "Japanese civilians and their children chose to die rather than dishonor their emperor and famiry" poo poo that sites like this use to justify the war crimes of hiroshima and nagasaki. even some random ww2 site is able to say that

totally consensual and misinformed suicides

it’s impossible to disentangle the behavior of people in a regime like that, but there was more than enough genuine cultish support among civilians (in part due to ridiculous propagandizing) as well as the kind of fearful compliance those policies produced.

I mean, the guy who became a jungle-dwelling serial murderer of Filipino farmers until the early seventies wasn’t scared into becoming who he did.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

VROOM VROOM posted:

if you wanna battle propaganda maybe don't spread more in the same breath like the "Japanese civilians and their children chose to die rather than dishonor their emperor and famiry" poo poo

Never said anything like that lmao.

quote:

When the American’s came upon the suicides, those who had not killed themselves or had survived were shocked to see the Americans offering aid rather than slaughter, filling them with remorse and widening the distrust that already existed between Okinawa and mainland Japan.

All I claimed is that the people who committed suicide believed what they were told by the Japanese government, and your source doesn't refute it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1055180603652374528

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Revolutions by Mike Duncan is better, maybe more relevant to this thread.

Dan Carlin repeats too many claims without any sort of introspection, hes the Joe Rogan of history

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Never said anything like that lmao.

All I claimed is that the people who committed suicide believed what they were told by the Japanese government
lmao

you posted:

The Americans committed atrocities in the Pacific theater too, which the Japanese made such a stink of that Japanese civilians voluntarily committed mass suicide instead of taking their chances with the Marines
you appear to have missed the part where people were handed grenades and told to kill themselves and their children or be killed. in fact my favorite part of reading that extremely disgusting first page I linked (which appears to be literally a 501c3 dedicated to justifying the use of the atomic bomb) was reading the line

quote:

While the Japanese government states there was “military involvement” in these suicides, survivors attest to a compulsory mass suicide, or shudan jiketsu.
and then taking 5 seconds to confirm that the mystical japanese term used does not actually include the "voluntary" part.

what we can all agree on is that there is blame on many sides

VROOM VROOM has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Oct 24, 2018

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

dude loves getting concussions

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

VROOM VROOM posted:

lmao

you appear to have missed the part where people were handed grenades and told to kill themselves and their children or be killed. in fact my favorite part of reading that extremely disgusting first page I linked (which appears to be literally a 501c3 dedicated to justifying the use of the atomic bomb) was reading the line

and then taking 5 seconds to confirm that the mystical japanese term used does not actually include the "voluntary" part.

what we can all agree on is that there is blame on many sides

Imo if you want to go with the atomic bomb is bad you need to structure your argument that strategic bombing of cities is bad and not the atomic bomb itself, because it just made those bombing missions waaay easier. The specific focus on the atomic bomb in the debate likely came about due to atomic panic.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

turns out there is no justice or morality to be found in war, and nobody are the good guys

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

Imo if you want to go with the atomic bomb is bad you need to structure your argument that strategic bombing of cities is bad and not the atomic bomb itself, because it just made those bombing missions waaay easier. The specific focus on the atomic bomb in the debate likely came about due to atomic panic.

ah yes, when I said "the use of the atomic bomb" what I really meant was "the use of an unprecedented weapon of destruction to instantly murder hundreds of thousands of civilians as a war tactic". you're right, nukes can be good (but only if they nuke me)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Darkman Fanpage posted:

dude loves getting concussions

Headbutts work great and wont confuss the pperson doing the butting everr

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

VROOM VROOM posted:

ah yes, when I said "the use of the atomic bomb" what I really meant was "the use of an unprecedented weapon of destruction to instantly murder hundreds of thousands of civilians as a war tactic". you're right, nukes can be good (but only if they nuke me)

But the Fire Bombing of Tokyo is okay and never gets mentioned because ????.

My point is if you are actually serious about the tremendous loss of life inflicted upon Japan you would be arguing against strategic bombing as a whole since Japan and other countries had pretty drat bad civilian causalities before the introduction of the bomb. The bombing of tokyo killed more people then the bombing of Nagasaki but people just dont seem to give a poo poo because it wasnt done by a nuke.

There is a reason why the nukes get focused on, and it wasnt the death total.

Telsa Cola has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Oct 24, 2018

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

so a bunch of white nationalists all start getting arrested and charged, then suddenly there are bomb attacks against perceived left wing figures. any sign of a connection between the two?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 28 days!)

Not yet.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

But the Fire Bombing of Tokyo is okay and never gets mentioned because ????.

good job forcing me to concede that firebombing civilians is bad, a position wildly inconsistent with my established positions of "forcing civilians to blow themselves and their children up with grenades is bad" and "nuking civilians is bad". as far as I can tell this was your only purpose, and you have succeeded, so congratulations.

anyway folks, normal people (well, redditors) in portland who are tired of the nazi marches are trekking up to vancouver WA for a humorous counterprotest this week. look forward to bloodshed

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

VROOM VROOM posted:

good job forcing me to concede that firebombing civilians is bad, a position wildly inconsistent with my established positions of "forcing civilians to blow themselves and their children up with grenades is bad" and "nuking civilians is bad". as far as I can tell this was your only purpose, and you have succeeded, so congratulations.

Thank you, I am glad I succeeded in my mission.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Spergin Morlock posted:

so a bunch of white nationalists all start getting arrested and charged, then suddenly there are bomb attacks against perceived left wing figures. any sign of a connection between the two?

I feel like if they were, the bomber would've made the connection obvious if not out right announce it. I also imagine that the bombs were being built before the arrests happened (unless this is FBI trying to entrap someone).

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

MizPiz posted:

I feel like if they were, the bomber would've made the connection obvious if not out right announce it. I also imagine that the bombs were being built before the arrests happened (unless this is FBI trying to entrap someone).

The list of people who received bombs also seems weird for a white nationalist, or maybe more accurately stated, I would expect someone conducting a bombing campaign for white nationalist reasons to choose different targets.

I'll stick with my initial read for now, that this is a qanon conspiracy theorist, though with the amount of overlap, white nationalist ties would not surprise me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1055198836619165696

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
This is a guy who was spreading rumors that James Fields was antifa within minutes of the attack.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Jack Posobiec is known for false flag antics like planting a "rape Melania" sign at an anti-Trump protest.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
https://twitter.com/cocksailor/status/1055211947250073600

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

pookel posted:

The fact that the Nazis liked to use real atrocities as propaganda doesn't make them not real atrocities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_during_the_Soviet_occupation_of_Poland

ETA: I recommend Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast "Ostfront" on this topic. Fair warning, it's about 36 hours long. It certainly does not make any excuses for the Nazis or claim that the Soviets were worse, but it's historical fact that the Eastern Front in general was a horrifying bloodbath filled with casual atrocities against the civilian populations the troops passed through, in both directions.

Lol are you loving kidding me? A wiki link and Dan Carlin?

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Dan Carlin repeats too many claims without any sort of introspection, hes the Joe Rogan of history

This. A million times this.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Dan Carlin is entertaining AF but he is not a rigorous historian. He reads 2-3 pop history books and churns them into ~4 hour blocks of dramatizations and boxing metaphors

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
yeah Dan Carlin is someone you listen to because you like how he sounds. He’s not a great historian.

I personally hate his poo poo but I like history more than personalities so I am not his market.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_0sxLJTFl8

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

He even says he is not a historian fairly often.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

if you know absolutely nothing about the topic he's a great intro. if you've read a book on the topic his flaws become extremely apparent.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

What's a good/better history podcast?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Mike Duncan’s stuff and the guy that does History of Byzantium are both good and thorough.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the history of rome and revolutions by mike duncan are good

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

This would be the dangerous conspiracy theory that the perpetrator of the bombings is probably somebody who doesn't like the targets.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Sax Solo posted:

the dollop

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

the dollop also periodically plays a bit fast and loose with accuracy for the sake of the story, but it's still really fun, especially when they're little known stuff

the rocket belt episode is one of the funniest things I've ever listened to

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't know what is the best but I can say that the worst is Radiolab

I want to find whoever thought "let's have 3 people alternate every 5 words independent of sentence structure" was a good baseline format for a podcast and beat them with a rubber hose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Sax Solo posted:

history of england

also tides of history