Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darth Walrus posted:

I was more thinking of his kaiju design, which has sharper colour contrasts and more heroic proportions than the other two we've seen so far.

Nah that's definitely villan shape, it just looks more like one of the zoanoids from The Guyver than an Ultraman one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Futaba Anzu posted:

basically looks like a combined offspring of the two

heh... nice try... viral cant have kids......!!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Space Flower posted:

heh... nice try... viral cant have kids......!!

And this is why his dream at the end of TTGL was the saddest :smith:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Julias posted:

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Calibur reminds me of the Spike lookalike in Ep.3 of Cowboy Bebop, and he's great.
Shine on, you creepy diamond.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Julias posted:

His was the realest, the simplest, and the most impossible. It's a wonder he wasn't the first to break out.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's been too long, what did he want?

Schwarzwald posted:

Her targeting the teacher and treatment of Anti suggest she's acting out of some sense of ressentiment more than a "for the lulz" general glee for evil.

It's been too soon since DitF for me to get burned over reading into a kaiju show again. :ohdear:

I'm not sure if the peer into her personal life was supposed to be more "ha what a loser" or a more sympathetic kind of pathetic.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Cuntellectual posted:

It's been too long, what did he want?

he lived a simple country life with a loving wife and daughter

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

this show is good. please don't trigger this one too trigger.

Also, my stupid theory Yuta the reason that Yuta has amnesia is because he came in with Gridman and Co. and they edited reality for him to exist. Its why no one can really say much about him, and he just woke up collapsed in front of the Junk shop. He literally just popped into existence

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/swaps4/status/1052468955707666432

is this the best thicc they can come up with??

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

this show is good. please don't trigger this one too trigger.

Also, my stupid theory Yuta the reason that Yuta has amnesia is because he came in with Gridman and Co. and they edited reality for him to exist. Its why no one can really say much about him, and he just woke up collapsed in front of the Junk shop. He literally just popped into existence

Probably going to be something like that, but not completely I think. I mean, it's clear from Rikka's lines in episode one that something happened between her and Yuta prior to his amnesia. The foreshadowing on that seemed a little too significant to just write off. On the other hand, yeah, I reckon he's from outside this kaiju world too. It would make sense with his character design's Transformers SG inspiration too. An Autobot who ends up transported a parallel universe where the Decepticons are the good guys.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So

Anyone wanna pull apart my theory that while Yuta, Calibur, and Gridman were missing that they were A) In the real world, and that this world is the digital one and B) They were in some kind of alternate--probably digital--world? Like some kinda multiple layers of cyber existence poo poo like Reboot or whatever

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

So

Anyone wanna pull apart my theory that while Yuta, Calibur, and Gridman were missing that they were A) In the real world, and that this world is the digital one and B) They were in some kind of alternate--probably digital--world? Like some kinda multiple layers of cyber existence poo poo like Reboot or whatever

The original series' fights took place in cyberspace, so since they happen in the real world in this series, it could hint at the matrix interpretation. I'm also sure that Gridman and Yuta just hung out in Junk. I doubt a cellphone would have connected to a parallel world.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If this is taking place in some kind of cyberspace simulation then, should the characters ever manage to break out into the "real world" at some point, it might be cool if the show suddenly switched over to live action for a brief bit. No guarantee that's going to happen but it could be interesting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I do like how "is this actually all just a simulation" is a genuinely sensible theory based on in-story context and the history of the IP and not just lazy crackpot nonsense.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

More character design fun

(same va)

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Wow, this episode was wild as hell. Definitely took me for a ride for a bit but it's definitely set up an interesting player in the game.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

With that and Evil!Over Justice, this has to just be one of the planets Luluco visits.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Also one of the background classmates is Akko

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

El Burbo posted:

More character design fun

(same va)

Thank you, I knew that eyeball reminded me of someone but my brain couldn't dredge up who.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/swaps4/status/1052468955707666432

is this the best thicc they can come up with??

hell, same

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

hell, same
Maybe they'll transform into something thiccer

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This is a really good show. Maybe they're people! had me in stitches, jesus.

It's overall such a fun show too! Almost worried it'll veer off to something way more grim.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Something neat I saw on the Heroes of the Storm subreddit:

There's a bunch of Heroes of the Storm cameos in it, for some reason.

You can see:

http://heroesofthestorm.wikia.com/wiki/Pajamathur Pajamathur
https://heroesofthestorm.gamepedia.com/Zagara Zagara
https://heroesofthestorm.gamepedia.com/Stitches

And a few other characters.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
That image also shows why the show is 'only' 12 episodes long. (At least, I think it's planned for 12.)

If it took much longer, Akane would run out of room to dump her trash and still be able to climb to her monster-sculpting and buddy-hangout corner. Unless the rewind takes care of that as well. The screen with the monster-animator got fixed after she kicked it, didn't it?

On a more serious note, the huge corridor-pile of garbage and monsters is probably another metaphor for something or other relating to her mental state.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So apparently, Borr is a guy? Well, fair enough, then.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Apparently next episode involves Rikka and Akane getting roped into meeting up with college guys, and Yuta and Shou following them. Sounds like it'll be fun.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

So apparently, Borr is a guy? Well, fair enough, then.

And is voiced by Aoi Yuuki.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Should have gone all the way and given him drills instead of just twintails.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Ha, I thought it was odd that the two girls Akane talks with in class had distinct, clearly thought-out designs despite having no lines of their own and not being on the character list:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Hogama fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 25, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
[well now this post makes no sense]

vvvvv - it's fine, the joke sucked :p

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 26, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's not quite as in-depth as those two, but there's a fair amount of production notes for the unfeatured characters.

(Not my translations; the "girl-power" talked about on #2 is more about being good at practical skills traditionally associated with women (however fairly), like cooking, cleaning, sewing, etc.; the "high school debut" on #11 means he's socially blossomed from being awkward in his younger years. You may have already known that but it's liner notes for some images I didn't feel like editing further.)

(Sorry about the edit and ruining your post, I was doing a double-check to see if this was really for this show. I found some proof! #11 is in this shot.

I guess what threw me off is that a lot of these characters are 2nd and 3rd years and the gang is in 1st year.)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
On one hand that's cool, on the other I feel like Akane having any actual friends is weird. :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cuntellectual posted:

On one hand that's cool, on the other I feel like Akane having any actual friends is weird. :v:

I don't think she does. We've seen she's sociable, and she even tried to get close to Yuta in the first episode, but I genuinely doubt she feels anything for the people around her other than some degree of disgust. Akane comes across as a heavy narcissist/sociopath to me, she's perfectly able to fake being normal and friendly but in reality she just wants everyone dead for the most minor of infractions and thinks of herself above everyone.

That said, I do think we don't quite have everything to understand her yet. I feel there's more to her, and she's probably the most interesting character right now.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

Depends on what Akane's deal is really. If she's basically a huge dork who tried to reinvent herself in her first year of highschool and is now cracking under the strain of maintaining a facade she hates, it makes sense she's got people she's friendly with on a surface level. on the other hand if it really is some kinda parallel world thing and she's just debug-moding reality to be popular then yeah it is kind of odd she has people she actually associates with.

Basically they could doing any number of things with her, based on what we have so far.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

That said, I do think we don't quite have everything to understand her yet. I feel there's more to her, and she's probably the most interesting character right now.

Well, yeah, I'd hope not. Finding out what her deal is is the primary draw for me right now.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Akane seems pretty hosed up, what with her hitting on Anti in the diner. I don't think I want an especially deep motivation from her, but having her backstory for how she ended up that way would be good. Was she always a lonely trash girl until the smooth-talking computer man showed up?

It'd also be neat if the heroes could figure it out and help her somehow.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

She's probably some horrible loser living in a fantasy world created by her mysterious digital enabler for some nefarious purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Xarbala posted:

She's probably some horrible loser living in a fantasy world created by her mysterious digital enabler for some nefarious purpose.

It makes more business sense to subcontract Kaiju work rather than build them in house, and, believe it or not, "personal hellish pocket reality" is in fact quite in line with market rates.