Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't want to get my hopes up but it almost feels like the new version might drop this year, maybe even next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

If the new version will be out this year, it will probably be out sometime in November or December.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Omnicarus posted:

If the new version will be out this year, it will probably be out sometime in November or December.

You don’t say.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i believe the new version will be released for computer

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
For 0.8, his last round of patch notes were April 13th and he released a week later (April 20). Happy Halloween?

I'd still guess sometime next month.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I mean, Eternal Administrator Alpha Core does kinda look like a spooky science ghost in the right light...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

As long as it's released before I have to spend a week at the in-laws for the holidays, I'll be happy.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Alpha Core be praised.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I raged out and quit my job this week so I hope it releases now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We are unworthy of Alpha Core’s blessings.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the poop is about to be released in the near future and its giving me constipation

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
really disappointed the final version of this game is console exclusive :smith:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

rt4 posted:

really disappointed the final version of this game is console exclusive :smith:

Yeah.. really a disappointment. At least it's not mobile though.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

quote:

Weapons that use ammo now retain their ammo count across multiple engagements

In other words, re-deploying a ship will not cause its weapons to be reloaded
Oh wow that's a serious nerf for large/prolonged engagements. I guess he thinks hit and run has been too powerful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
R.I.P. missiles, antimatter cannon

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean if you load up a ship with buckets of missiles, dump them into an enemy fleet, then leave, that's a little bit dodgy.

Especially if you consider that planets are going to let you field as many missile ships as you want with as many stupidly expensive missiles as you want.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I actually launched up 0.8 just to play around because i wanted to shoot some spaceships, then realised that my progress means nothing and got so upset i quit out. Damnit 0.9, come out already.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nanoforges that can make fully functional fighter ships with missiles, but cannot make the missiles themselves. drat this space DRM, o how it vexes

that said, i'd trust the maker of the game to appropriately balance the fact that missiles don't reload between engagements now, and in fairness i barely ever deploy the same ship twice in the same fight if i can help it

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Yeah, it's mostly a non-issue for me. Assuming it also counts when re-deploying to pursue a fleeing force, it just means I'm a little more careful with the last missile or two. I don't think I've ever retreated and then redeployed a ship in a fight.

0.8 is still fun but 0.9 is going to change everything. I'm playing a carrier-based run right now and I'm sorta liking it but it's not nearly as fun as the positioning battles of using direct-combat ships. Carriers are going to be toned down a bit in the next patch so I'm exploiting their OP-ness now.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

nanoforges that can make fully functional fighter ships with missiles, but cannot make the missiles themselves. drat this space DRM, o how it vexes

that said, i'd trust the maker of the game to appropriately balance the fact that missiles don't reload between engagements now, and in fairness i barely ever deploy the same ship twice in the same fight if i can help it

What are the odds that this only affects the player?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

THE BAR posted:

What are the odds that this only affects the player?

Pretty low, honestly. Although given that most larger missile-carrying ships will probably die before being able to retreat, you might not notice it in enemy forces.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I think actually the argument is that they can make as many missiles as they want, but they can't load them during combat unless the ship is specifically designed for it, which is what the missile cruisers can do and also what the ammo-less missiles like the salamander are supposed to do. Everything else comes with a fixed magazine that can't be reloaded during combat.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 29, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I think actually the argument is that they can make as many missiles as they want, but they can't load them during combat unless the ship is specifically designed for it, which is what the missile cruisers can do and also what the ammo-less missiles like the salamander are supposed to do. Everything else comes with a fixed magazine that can't be reloaded during combat.

What if they use a new mount type? Box mount vs internal magazine.

Edit: No it'd be simpler with a hull mod.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Making missiles reloadable would be an incredibly powerful modification.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah there's no way you could put in an infinite missiles hull mod without breaking the game in half - even the +ammo hull mod was already a game breaker for some missiles. You need to mod the missile stats themselves to make infinite reload balanced, but if you do it's actually really easy.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 29, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you consider that there's presumably very little stopping you, once the patch comes out, from filling every fleet with dozens of the most basic shuttles each packing three hammer torpedo mounts and magazine expansions, right off the bat as soon as you gain the ability to produce ships, it makes sense why you don't want them to be reloadable.

When you don't have to consider the long term viability of a fleet, or care about replacing them, just strapping all the missiles you can to everything you can suddenly looks pretty appealing.

That and conquering the galaxy with bowling balls.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 29, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I can get behind the no-reloading missiles thing as long as dedicated missile ships remain a thing.

Or maybe having it take a specific amount of time to refit missiles that can be sped up with a fleet support ship or whatever.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Rynoto posted:

I can get behind the no-reloading missiles thing as long as dedicated missile ships remain a thing.

Or maybe having it take a specific amount of time to refit missiles that can be sped up with a fleet support ship or whatever.

At the very least the missile ship with the autoforge will be able to replace its missiles at the start of a new battle. And that's a lot of missiles if you give it the missile rack mod.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah there's no way you could put in an infinite missiles hull mod without breaking the game in half - even the +ammo hull mod was already a game breaker for some missiles. You need to mod the missile stats themselves to make infinite reload balanced, but if you do it's actually really easy.

Make it only produce weaker missiles?

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I always wanted a way for the autoforge ships to be able to resupply the normal missile ships in combat.

Like maybe sending over a cargo shuttle much like your command shuttle works.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Rebel Galaxy's on sale on steam for just a few bucks this week and it's helping tide me over till .9 hits, for anyone interested. :v:

McGiggins posted:

I always wanted a way for the autoforge ships to be able to resupply the normal missile ships in combat.

Like maybe sending over a cargo shuttle much like your command shuttle works.

The cargo shuttle'd need to be way slower and vulnerable to actual enemy interception for this to be at all balanced, imo

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The Homeworld Remastered Collection is also on sale if anyone is just watching to watch gorgeous spaceships beat the poo poo out of each other.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I can't go back to play homeworld because all of their ships seem so undergunned.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
There was a mod that gave every capital ship a ton of guns along the hull so fights looked more like something out of Battlestar Galactica, can't seem to find it however. :shrug:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Falcorum posted:

There was a mod that gave every capital ship a ton of guns along the hull so fights looked more like something out of Battlestar Galactica, can't seem to find it however. :shrug:
Would Point Defense Systems be what you're looking for? That said, I don't think it's been updated for Remastered. The downloads section wasn't at all intuitive to find so there's the link.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Complications posted:

Would Point Defense Systems be what you're looking for? That said, I don't think it's been updated for Remastered. The downloads section wasn't at all intuitive to find so there's the link.

Pds had some a lot of that. Made a lot of fights look really good.

Complex was another good one until bhagins went full moron and demanded people pay a minimum of 2000 per month on patreon. People bitched hard enough to make him "reconsider" and lower the amount to 1000. His attitude destroyed my love of that mod sadly. It is on Remastered though.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Homeworld Complex was a great mod. didn't realise the Dev turned into a nutter though.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Beghins was always a stupid piece of poo poo, it was just mainly confined to the relic forums. Don't play Complex.

I want to say that old Tactical Fleet Simulator mod was being updated for the remastered release? It was basically PDS without all the weird defense contractor buzzwords and feature creep.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Falcorum posted:

PDS is dead. The original creator went insane and decided he wanted to make space Harpoon in an engine poorly suited for it, and the dev team has since scattered to the 4 winds. :rip:

Source: I was one of the people working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

AGGGGH BEES posted:

PDS is dead. The original creator went insane and decided he wanted to make space Harpoon in an engine poorly suited for it, and the dev team has since scattered to the 4 winds. :rip:

Source: I was one of the people working on it.

Yeah... the main guy went so freaking crazy... but at least it was literal insanity and not beghins stupid assholery and model theft while threatening people and telling new modders they were poo poo for trying new things while harassing them off the forums.

I will say this though. Many of my fondest memories of homeworld 2 came from versions 4 through 8 of pds.

Thank you for any and all time you spent on the mod. It was incredible. It's still my favorite overall mod of all time.