Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Not AusPol but I feel like it’s worth it for comedy value

quote:

When US President Donald Trump calls old friends on one of his iPhones to gossip, gripe or solicit their latest take on how he is doing, US intelligence reports indicate that Chinese spies are often listening and putting to use invaluable insights into how to best work the President and affect administration policy.

Trump's aides have warned him that his mobile phone calls are not secure and have told him that Russian spies routinely eavesdrop on the calls as well.

But aides say the voluble President, who has been pressured into using his secure White House landline more often these days, has still refused to give up his iPhones. White House officials say they can only hope he refrains from discussing classified information when he is on them.

Officials say the President has two official iPhones that have been altered by the National Security Agency to limit their capabilities - and vulnerabilities - and a third personal phone that is no different from hundreds of millions of iPhones in use around the world.

Trump keeps the personal phone because, unlike his other two phones, he can store his contacts in it, White House officials say.

Trump typically relies on his mobile phones when he does not want a call going through the White House switchboard and logged for senior aides to see, his aides said. Many of those to whom Trump speaks most often on one of his mobile phones, such as hosts at Fox News, share his political views, or simply enable him to express his sense of grievance about any number of subjects.

Administration officials said Trump's long-time paranoia about surveillance - well before coming to the White House he believed his phone conversations were often being recorded - gave them some comfort that he was not disclosing classified information on the calls.

They said they had further confidence he was not spilling secrets because he rarely digs into the details of the intelligence he is shown and is not well versed in the operational specifics of military or covert activities.

Trump is supposed to swap his two official phones every 30 days for new ones but rarely does, bristling at the inconvenience. White House staff members are supposed to set up the new phones exactly like the old ones, but the new iPhones cannot be restored from back-ups of his old phones, because doing so would transfer over any malware.

The President is also famously indiscreet. In a May 2017 meeting in the Oval Office with Russian officials, he shared highly sensitive intelligence passed to the US by Israel. He also told the Russians that James Comey, the former FBI director, was "a real nut job" and that firing him had relieved "great pressure".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
That's "fewer", Gough.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
John Gorton gets a bad rap.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Don Dongington posted:

For a while it was looking like she might stick around, but I assume that might have had more to do with the dead cat bounce/potential media backing for a coup.

Nah, she pretty much said she was leaving parliament at the next election once she found out how unloved she is within the Libs.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Slinking out with a sack of undeclared shoes

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Solemn Sloth posted:

Not AusPol but I feel like it’s worth it for comedy value

remember when obama didn't want to give up his blackberry and everyone lost their drat minds over it being a security breach and this is why obama bad

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/BrigidWD/status/1055281511887331329

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I didn't think Trump would have an iPhone but I guess the gold colored ones would be his style, yeah.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

You Am I posted:

Nah, she pretty much said she was leaving parliament at the next election once she found out how unloved she is within the Libs.

We're going to spill the deputy!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

We're going to spill the deputy!

I spilled the PM, but I did not spill the Deputy.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hey so the alp candidate in my electorate has pulled out ahead of the state election.

I'm gonna quickly join up to labor and get parachuted into that spot.

It's Nardellas old seat.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

You Am I posted:

...It took her that long?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hambeet posted:

Hey so the alp candidate in my electorate has pulled out ahead of the state election.

I'm gonna quickly join up to labor and get parachuted into that spot.

It's Nardellas old seat.

You're forgetting the ALP is still about the only party that bothers with due diligence

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

OK let's stack the branch who's with me?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Actually it's all probably too late for that. Next time maybe

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm not doing anything that would involve me moving to a state with a projected swing of < 8.0 against the LNP.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Don Dongington posted:

You're forgetting the ALP is still about the only party that bothers with due diligence

No they just claim to be

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Several students have been stabbed with a syringe at a western Sydney high school after a fellow student found the needle at a bus stop, NSW Ambulance says.

Sounds reasonable

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
In totally unexpected news racist shithead turns out to be racist

quote:

Senator Fraser Anning is on the verge of being dumped from Katter's Australian Party (KAP), after the party took issue with some of his contentious views on race.

The Queensland senator's time in Federal Parliament has been tumultuous, with him leaving One Nation just hours before being sworn in to the Upper House after a spat with leader Pauline Hanson.

He joined KAP after time as an independent.

Speaking in Canberra on Thursday, KAP leader Bob Katter said the matter was being dealt with by the party's executive.

But he argued it was clear Senator Anning's views on race and non-European migration did not sit well with him.

"This is a matter for the president of our party to talk about," he said.

"This bloke's 99 per cent solid gold, but there's a problem and it's no secret because the president of our party has already made it quite clear that that 1 per cent is not acceptable to the KAP."

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sounds reasonable
bloody teenagers

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

fiery_valkyrie posted:

In totally unexpected news racist shithead turns out to be racist

Considering all the poo poo he's said already what could have possibly pushed Bob over the edge? Maybe Fraser prefers lynching non-whites to firing squads

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Considering all the poo poo he's said already what could have possibly pushed Bob over the edge? Maybe Fraser prefers lynching non-whites to firing squads

Obviously Bob prefers covertly feeding them to crocodiles so he can push that narrative

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sounds reasonable

Nothing about this sounds like anything other than teens being dumb.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

lol imagine being too racist for Bob Katter

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Lid posted:

Just a social experiment, bro.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol imagine being too racist for Bob Katter

It's not the racism that's the problem, it's the fact that the racism is costing the party money

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The New South Wales opposition leader, Luke Foley, has threatened to dish dirt against several NSW ministers amid growing questions over whether he can survive allegations that he acted inappropriately towards a female ABC journalist at a bar after a press gallery Christmas party in 2016.

Foley has strenuously denied the allegations. But Labor is now “watching cautiously” as the Coalition ramps up its attacks, raising the matter in federal Senate estimates this week after first raising it in the NSW parliament.

Foley denied the incident took place and noted that no formal complaint had been made to the ABC by the journalist who was alleged to have been at the centre of the incident.

But in parliament on Tuesday, Foley threatened to dish dirt on at least four government politicians.

“We would welcome such a debate, but we would amend it to talk about you and you and you and you,” he yelled in parliament, pointing his finger at ministers one at a time.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

The New South Wales opposition leader, Luke Foley, has threatened to dish dirt against several NSW ministers amid growing questions over whether he can survive allegations that he acted inappropriately towards a female ABC journalist at a bar after a press gallery Christmas party in 2016.

Foley has strenuously denied the allegations. But Labor is now “watching cautiously” as the Coalition ramps up its attacks, raising the matter in federal Senate estimates this week after first raising it in the NSW parliament.

Foley denied the incident took place and noted that no formal complaint had been made to the ABC by the journalist who was alleged to have been at the centre of the incident.

But in parliament on Tuesday, Foley threatened to dish dirt on at least four government politicians.

“We would welcome such a debate, but we would amend it to talk about you and you and you and you,” he yelled in parliament, pointing his finger at ministers one at a time.

What a surprise, all of NSW is the worst.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lid posted:

"My son told me it was a boy [who] found a needle at the bus stop and started going around stabbing people in the bum with it," said the woman, who has asked not to be named.

how on earth could you have guessed?!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I don't know if any of you are into local metal scenes in your respective cities, but holy poo poo has the Perth scene been overrun by CHUDs. I don't really go out to local shows anymore on account of being old also broke and also being a responsible parent, but holy crap the Trump Love you see on social media any time someone from that scene that hasn't yet deleted and blocked my communist rear end posts something critical of the president/republicans/Jordan Peterson/anything the right self-identify with is bewildering.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Don Dongington posted:

I don't know if any of you are into local metal scenes in your respective cities, but holy poo poo has the Perth scene been overrun by CHUDs. I don't really go out to local shows anymore on account of being old also broke and also being a responsible parent, but holy crap the Trump Love you see on social media any time someone from that scene that hasn't yet deleted and blocked my communist rear end posts something critical of the president/republicans/Jordan Peterson/anything the right self-identify with is bewildering.

Metal is the music of the CHUD and always has been.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/ellinghausen/status/1055297296601047040

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Christopher Pyne, noted lover of all thing pantomime, is extremely on board.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

it depends how you got into metal mostly. people from the punk/rock side are generally pretty left leaning and inclusive, whereas the troglodytes that got into it via pantera/slayer tend to be racist/homophobic fuckwits.

I go to a lot of stoner/doom metal gigs and most people there are pretty chill. its the black/death/grindcore scene where you get the most bigots, and usually under the premise of 'its supposed to be offensive'

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Not all metalheads are CHUDs, but it seems most CHUDs are metalheads.

Grind and Doom shows seem to be free of them thankfully. They seem to gravitate to tech and brutal death metal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Laserface posted:

it depends how you got into metal mostly. people from the punk/rock side are generally pretty left leaning and inclusive, whereas the troglodytes that got into it via pantera/slayer tend to be racist/homophobic fuckwits.

I go to a lot of stoner/doom metal gigs and most people there are pretty chill. its the black/death/grindcore scene where you get the most bigots, and usually under the premise of 'its supposed to be offensive'

I've always been a doom/stoner guy and it's interesting learning that most of the members of bands you like are massive fuckheads.

Except for Dr Colossus those dudes are cool.

Don Dongington posted:

Not all metalheads are CHUDs, but it seems most CHUDs are metalheads.

Grind and Doom shows seem to be free of them thankfully. They seem to gravitate to tech and brutal death metal.

Yeah I agree. I never got into metal enough to branch out and I'm glad I didn't. My favourite band is Hall and Oates anyway.

e: if anyone is into putting on some nice cans and getting high while listening to an album, pop on the theme to the lion king some time.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 25, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

If you like metal enough to be into the scene chances are you're a fascist

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

My favourite stories from the internet culture warriors who self-own and neo-nazi threads are those metalheads who are CHUDs who after 5 albums need a ballad about worker's rights to figure out their favourite band is actually progressive

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Laserface posted:

Seeing the black/death crowds get all upset over Gojira and Deafheaven brings me endless joy. If it's wrong to listen to them (and In Flames and Agalloch) I don't want to be right.

(Check out EX EYE)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lid posted:

Seeing the black/death crowds get all upset over Gojira and Deafheaven brings me endless joy. If it's wrong to listen to them (and In Flames and Agalloch) I don't want to be right.

(Check out EX EYE)

Why do they get mad at those bands? I would give a moment of thought to listening to a band named Gojira, but I imagine it's too loud for me.

• Locked thread