Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a question: A New Hope is partly an homage to movie serials from the 1940s; has anyone ever tried cutting the movie up and turning it into a serial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have a question: A New Hope is partly an homage to movie serials from the 1940s; has anyone ever tried cutting the movie up and turning it into a serial?

Check out the radio dramas if you haven't. They're split up very similarly to one.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

What in the God drat world is happening

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maybe the planet that got blown up in TFA was actually Alderaan 2 or New Alderaan because I don't think anyone particularly cared when the original got blown up either. :D

Seriously, Alderaan seems to be a fairly major planet and a known hotbed of Rebel sympathies and it's not even mentioned in the second two movies. It was Leia's homeworld for the first 20 years or so of her life, all the family she's ever known were killed when the Empire destroyed it and she seems pretty over it within a couple of scenes of it happening. :D :D

hey now, obi-wan cared a lot because it gave him indigestion briefly

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sponges posted:

TLJ only real accomplishment is finally killing of Palpatine after TFA needlessly brought him back from the dead.

Finally, some new crazy poo poo!

Your doing the Lord's work. Just add some screencaps

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

sponges posted:

TLJ only real accomplishment is finally killing of Palpatine after TFA needlessly brought him back from the dead.

:hmmyes:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Snoke appears as a giant hologram and we've only seen one other character who does that, so they must be the same person.

People change their names all the time.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Snoke appears as a giant hologram and we've only seen one other character who does that, so they must be the same person.

People change their names all the time.

It literally is. Literally.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sponges posted:

It literally is. Literally.

:shuckyes:

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
Okay now that the Coruscant/Hosnian Prime debacle has cooled a little and before the thread can go into another discussion on the personhood of droids, can we talk about how the entire gently caress an Actual Gothic Novel Villain ended up in this dumb space fantasy?

Kylo Ren just is so tonally dissonant from the rest of Star Wars. He really feels like he ought to be brooding on the moors instead of stalking around space stations. The attraction/repulsion dynamic he has with Rey is also very reminiscent of a gothic novel villain/heroine relationship.

The whole “maybe they’re related???” thing that some people can’t let go of adds to it too.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Doctor Faustine posted:

Okay now that the Coruscant/Hosnian Prime debacle has cooled a little and before the thread can go into another discussion on the personhood of droids, can we talk about how the entire gently caress an Actual Gothic Novel Villain ended up in this dumb space fantasy?

Kylo Ren just is so tonally dissonant from the rest of Star Wars. He really feels like he ought to be brooding on the moors instead of stalking around space stations. The attraction/repulsion dynamic he has with Rey is also very reminiscent of a gothic novel villain/heroine relationship.

The whole “maybe they’re related???” thing that some people can’t let go of adds to it too.
I dunno but it's super cool. I know some people think that it's overwrought but I was utterly engaged every second the two of them were on screen together, and I felt genuine suspense over whether she'd accept his offer to join forces.

In my mind, Kylo Ren justifies the entire Sequel Trilogy.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
kylo ren is in this weird place where he's both the antagonist and yet somehow more of a protagonist than rey is

for whatever reason, we're shackled to rey despite the fact that these films have overwhelmingly been about ren's journey

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Faustine posted:

Kylo Ren owns

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Strange Matter posted:

I dunno but it's super cool. I know some people think that it's overwrought but I was utterly engaged every second the two of them were on screen together, and I felt genuine suspense over whether she'd accept his offer to join forces.

I legitimately think the ST would be leagues better if they gutted everything unrelated to Kylo and Rey and just made it a straight up gothic romance in space.

And like ideally got Guillermo del Toro to direct, because dude is great at gothic romance and would also have brought more creativity to the background aliens.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can have multiple protagonists in a movie.

Regardless tho TLJ is indeed mostly about Kylo Ren and Luke.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

How many times has the capital been moved? And why didn’t they move it someplace secret before the New Order built another Death Star?!?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

At first I thought smoke was just some giant guy and was disappointed when he was revealed to just be a hologram.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MrMojok posted:

How many times has the capital been moved? And why didn’t they move it someplace secret before the New Order built another Death Star?!?

At minimum 3 times; we know it was on Chandrilla, Nakadia, and Hosnian Prime

And as far as we know, the First Order has never built a Death Star. Starkiller Base was, however, a secret weapon. The Resistance knew the First Order was massing a fleet and other war apparatus..but the New Republic refused to consider the First Order a threat.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Strange Matter posted:

I agree with "overwrought," but I really think of it as a positive characteristic in this context. This is Star Wars; it should be overwrought!

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Schwarzwald posted:

I agree with "overwrought," but I really think of it as a positive characteristic in this context. This is Star Wars; it should be overwrought!

I also agree. Star Wars is at its most fun when it’s overwrought and melodramatic, which is why it’s a shame that the ST wastes time on things that aren’t Kylo Ren and Rey.

I do wish Rey was given a bit deeper characterization and:or better acted, though. Adam Driver knocks it out of the park and I’m not really sure Daisy Ridley is on his level, though it could just be that the writing for her isn’t as strong.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Man, I wish they'd brought P Spliffy back.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Tatooine and jakku are the same planet

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Doctor Faustine posted:

Holy poo poo.

I hadn't caught that bit of aesthetic mixture, but it's a really interesting addition to the landscape, mixing that sort of melodrama villain into the cowboy-jidaigeki/Flash Gordon smoothie that is Star Wars.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Doctor Faustine posted:

yeah this is a big part of why he's the most engaging character in the disney movies; him being his own genre character shoved into space opera is far more fitting with george 'let's mash up edo japan and ww2 dogfighting and everything else i like in space' lucas' universe

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
I’ll be honest, Kylo Ren makes me feel like it’s a shame that Star Wars has to be so family friendly because I feel like the character would be even more interesting if they could afford to play up the psychosexual aspects of a Gothic Novel Villain a bit more, but let’s be real: the throne room fight scene with him and Rey is the closest Star Wars will ever come to depicting sex.

Doctor Faustine fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 25, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doctor Faustine posted:

I also agree. Star Wars is at its most fun when it’s overwrought and melodramatic, which is why it’s a shame that the ST wastes time on things that aren’t Kylo Ren and Rey.

I do wish Rey was given a bit deeper characterization and:or better acted, though. Adam Driver knocks it out of the park and I’m not really sure Daisy Ridley is on his level, though it could just be that the writing for her isn’t as strong.

With Kylo, we have a good idea what he's about and what he's after. Rey is a much more baffling character.

In TFA she shows this strong desires to live peacefully and grow old on [sand dune planet] that conflicts with the whole chosen one BS Maz tries to sell her, and then rather than resolve that tension the story just kind of sets it aside. In TLJ she doesn't quite know why she should train under Luke, or even if she wants to train under Luke. She and Luke take turns being confused why she's there.

Her thing with Kylo goes a similar way, too. Past the force-texting thing, the two of them meet up, topple a regime, and then she decides she doesn't want to be a part of that either.

So, what does Rey want?

Maybe movie number three will tell us.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doctor Faustine posted:

I’ll be honest, Kylo Ren makes me feel like it’s a shame that Star Wars has to be so family friendly because I feel like the character would be even more interesting if they could afford to play up the psychosexual aspects of a Gothic Novel Villain a bit more, but let’s be real: the throne room fight scene with him and Rey is the closest Star Wars will ever come to sex.

in regards to psychosexuality and actual sex in Star Wars films:

Attack of the Clones

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

She's Rey-ghteen, she just doesn't know what she wants

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Schwarzwald posted:

in regards to psychosexuality and actual sex in Star Wars films:

Attack of the Clones

I’ll be honest, I haven’t seen Attack of the Clones since it came out and I was ten years old then, so whatever’s there went over my head. Enlighten me?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Doctor Faustine posted:

I’ll be honest, I haven’t seen Attack of the Clones since it came out and I was ten years old then, so whatever’s there went over my head. Enlighten me?

Oh man you have to watch it again it’s great.

There is a Roman gladiator scene with a vagina monster.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Doctor Faustine posted:

"Machines making machines. How perverse."

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Doctor Faustine posted:

Yeah, it's wild that he's the most interesting thing of the movies, and no one knows what to make of him.
Like the cut joke of him being a "spoiled brat" in Wreck it Ralph? The films show his dad was such a deadbeat and his mom was so obsessed with her career that they shipped him off to his weird monk uncle, who tried to murder him in his sleep.
Even big daddy Snoke abuses him, fuckin' spoiled by who?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Faustine posted:

the throne room fight scene with him and Rey is the closest Star Wars will ever come to depicting sex.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Touché.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Jivjov posted:

You realize that there's more to the canon beyond the films, right? And even if you thought "WOW THAT WAS CORUSCANT BECAUSE I CANNOT COMPREHEND THE IDEA OF TWO DIFFERENT PLANETS HAVING A CITY ON THEM!!!!!!!!!!1111!111", one google search can correct your misinformation. How the hell are this many people so aggressively BAD at basic comprehension tasks? Like...even if you didn't get it from the movie itself, I've posted maps, I've posted screenshots, I've posted Wookieepedia articles....like, what is it gonna take for you people to admit YOU'RE WRONG? Common sense? The Aftermath Trilogy? Bloodline? The Galactic Atlas? The canonical map of the galaxy? the factual content of the universe? 11 films, 3 TV shows, a couple dozen books, hundreds of comic issues and MORE?
(I don't think religious people should be killed. I think religious people need to keep their religions to themselves and stop indoctrinating children into believing religions are factual accounts of history)
Learn to read. You're embarrassing yourself. THERE. IS. MORE. THAN. ONE. DESERT. IN. STAR. WARS. This is a really simple idea that most children understand at like...age 2. Turn on your monitor. Open your eyes. Are you 5?
loving hell. IT'S ALL CANONICAL. Everything is part of the same overarching continuity. THe books, comics, movies, etc are all telling parts of the same story. So If a book tells me the name of the planet, specifically, is Hosnian Prime, then IT IS. THAT IS HOW STAR WARS WORKS. It's only unclear if you do some dumb mental gymnastics. Do i need to post the map again? Do you know how maps work?
People are still deliberately refusing to educate themselves. Dumbasses. Not my fault that you're the Star Wars equivalent of a flat earther. Why is this so hard for you? Why are you so drat determined to force this stupid "Its secretly the same planet despite official, canonical sources saying otherwise" narrative????????

Maybe start with something easier to understand next time? It's a simple matter of FACT versus lies. If you're little tiny brain can't handle that, if your attention span is too short to hold more than the pretty lights and colors in your mind, maybe find something else to follow. Teletubbies perhaps? The Simpsons? No. gently caress that, and gently caress you, you "alternative facts" spouting rear end in a top hat. Whatever paint fumes you're huffing, I suggest you get some air in there too. There's a difference between "interpretation" and "disregarding facts of the setting in order to support a random bullshit idea"

[......]

Hey, disagree with me all you want...but is ableism really necessary?

In other news, did y'all know that it's a factual part of the star wars universe that a secret super-force-sensitive clone trooper who once fought a group of young sith apprentices named the Badawans was instrumental in completing Luke's training by helping him steal a holocron from Darth Vader? Star Wars is wild, man

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Pablo Hidalgo, this name keeps comin' up over and over and over again. Every day Pablo's mail's getting sent back to me. Pablo Hidalgo, Pablo Hidalgo, I look in the mail, this whole box is Pablo Hidalgo! So I say to myself I gotta find this guy. I gotta go up to his office, I gotta put his mail in the guy's goddamn hands! Otherwise he's never gonna get it, it's gonna keep coming back down here. So I go up to Pablo's office and what do I find out, Mac, what do I find out? There is no Pablo Hidalgo. The man does not exist, okay? So I decided, ohh poo poo, buddy, I gotta dig a little deeper. There's no Pablo Hidalgo, you gotta be kidding me, I got boxes full of Pablo! All right, so I start marching my way down to Kathleen in the Story Group and I knock on her door and I say, "Kaaathleeen, Kaaathleeen! I gotta talk to you about Pablo!" And when I open the door, what do I find? There's not a single goddamn desk in that office. There is no Kathleen in the Story Group. Mac, half the employees in this building have been made up. This office is a goddamn ghost town.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
You people need jobs.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hidalgo was born in Santiago de Chile and raised in Winnipeg, Canada.[1] In 1987 he became a fan of the role-playing game (RPG) resources published West End Games, the only official source of Star Wars content in the late 1980s and took it upon himself to become knowledgeable of the universe to create better stories for the group of friends he was playing it with. He later used both content from the RPG and ideas he developed for his gaming sessions within official Star Wars media, such as the tracking device used by the Inquisitor and the name of a ship in Star Wars Rebels.[2]

He submitted content for West End Games' Star Wars Adventure Journal in 1993. Although rejected because he was not a published author at the time, his correspondence with the company resulted in him being hired as a cartoonist for the magazine by Peter Schweighofer.[1] Since he was now a published author, he was allowed to publish material for the RPG as well as stories in the magazine.[3]

During his involvement, he collected the first large-scale database of Star Wars knowledge, parts of which he posted online in 1997 as the "Star Wars Index". He also used his extensive knowledge to assist Steve Sansweet with fact-checking the Star Wars Encyclopedia, the first such work published shortly before the release of the Star Wars prequel trilogy.[2]

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

The question is what happens when the Story Group has an input in communicating something that makes artistic use of ambiguity (for example, a film)? Surely we can't count all of the Story Group's speech acts as straightforward or transparent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

J_RBG posted:

The question is what happens when the Story Group has an input in communicating something that makes artistic use of ambiguity (for example, a film)? Surely we can't count all of the Story Group's speech acts as straightforward or transparent.

I think the disconnect is that cannon functions as an interpretation. However, what cannon is, effectively, is a wiki. That is to say, an encyclopedia. And as Wikipedia will remind you, but questionably enforce, an encyclopedia is not a place for original interpretation. Because cannon functions largely as a means of navigating the secondary material, it is possible for an interpretation limited to the films to contradict cannon, since the interpretation admits a narrower scope of evidence. That's alright, neither is concerned with that.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 25, 2018