Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In later Rome the way to be seen as legitimate was to be born in the special magic purple room. It's as good an institution as any other!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_in_the_purple

I knew the phrase but I didn't know there was like, a literal purple room. That's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It doesn't help that an emperor can only set up one succession at a time. Diocletion tried setting up 4 successions in his plan to fix the empire forever, and it all fell apart.

It's not really unusual even now for people to overlook an uncomfortable question like their own death, especially when they're busy and imperial politics make your #2 your #1 threat.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Kemper Boyd posted:

Nothing, really. There's areas where people went straight to using iron when bronze wasn't available. But with bronze, it's easier to work with if you got the raw materials for it. Iron requires more effort and resources.

Genuine question, which areas were these? Iron smelting takes enormously higher temperatures than bronze, and I thought the refinements to furnace technology to get to that point were thought to have been achieved by people tinkering with the furnaces they were already using for bronzemaking. I know for instance Japan got iron before it got bronze, but that was just because the technology was brought in from outside groups and they happened to bring iron in first.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

cheetah7071 posted:

I knew the phrase but I didn't know there was like, a literal purple room. That's amazing

Gotta be born in the special purple room: still less dumb than the American Electoral College.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

skasion posted:

You’re not wrong. To skip over Commodus and name some other heir would have made quite as much trouble as Commodus ever did, and probably would have precipitated the exact same kind of war that eventually ensued upon Commodus’ death.
What would Lucius Junius Brutus do?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Where did ancient China get its tin?

edit: Turns out its Yunnan.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 24, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Not just Yunnan, several places south of the Yangtze were rich in both copper and tin. Bronze in East Asia was mostly constrained to elites, in the north as well as Korea and Japan; it wasn't until iron became widespread that farming tools and so on were made of metal rather than stone/wood/bone in most cases. But South China was the exception, and bronze was used even by the relatively poor.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Today I introduced Rome to my sophomores, since we're getting ready to start Julius Caesar. Showing them busts of the major Emperors was a mistake; we wound up discussing relative attractiveness and relationship potential rather than the political situation leading up to Caesar's assassination. One girl thought Caligula was hot poo poo; no one liked Nero due to the neckbeard. (I'm more than a bit worried about the Caligula-phile.)

Personally I think Augustus is the best looking emperor, but I imagine he was something of a stuffy prig in private. I've read that Hadrian had an easily wounded ego and a tendency to sulk, which unfortunately knocks out all the points afforded him by that fabulous beard.

Historians, which emperor has the best relationship potential? Who was considered the most attractive, either by you or their contemporaries?

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Pinball posted:

Historians, which emperor has the best relationship potential? Who was considered the most attractive, either by you or their contemporaries?

Caracalla :swoon:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pinball posted:

Today I introduced Rome to my sophomores, since we're getting ready to start Julius Caesar. Showing them busts of the major Emperors was a mistake; we wound up discussing relative attractiveness and relationship potential rather than the political situation leading up to Caesar's assassination. One girl thought Caligula was hot poo poo; no one liked Nero due to the neckbeard. (I'm more than a bit worried about the Caligula-phile.)

Personally I think Augustus is the best looking emperor, but I imagine he was something of a stuffy prig in private. I've read that Hadrian had an easily wounded ego and a tendency to sulk, which unfortunately knocks out all the points afforded him by that fabulous beard.

marcus aurelius had both a great beard and a solid personality

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pinball posted:

Elagabalus was a beautiful boy and he was loved by both men and women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMzdhhJbjAY

quote:

If you'd been Emperor of Rome
At the age of just 15
Wouldn't you have done the same?
Why then does his name retain the mantle of the evil
Always claimed by joyless vultures to explain the strange allure of other cultures?
Heliogabalus wasn't to blame
He was beautiful and sexy and completely without guilt

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Antinous was also really beautiful and there are lots of examples of art of him, because he was so drat pretty.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pinball posted:

12 Caesars says Augustus had great parties and did poo poo like auctioning off paintings with their fronts to the wall so he was probably a pretty fun guy.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pinball posted:

always had a little thing for julius caesar and i am not ashamed to admit it

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Koramei posted:

Genuine question, which areas were these? Iron smelting takes enormously higher temperatures than bronze, and I thought the refinements to furnace technology to get to that point were thought to have been achieved by people tinkering with the furnaces they were already using for bronzemaking. I know for instance Japan got iron before it got bronze, but that was just because the technology was brought in from outside groups and they happened to bring iron in first.

I'm pretty sure that iron predates bronze in sub-Saharan Africa by a couple of millennia, but I don't remember what the source for that was. I know the Benin "bronzes" are actually brass.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Antinous was also really beautiful and there are lots of examples of art of him, because he was so drat pretty.
oh yeah, i'd do him

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pinball posted:

It's gotta be the ribbons.

As for me, I'm going with Septimus Severus.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 24, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
lol his breastplate

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

HEY GUNS posted:

lol his breastplate

Like you would pass up the chance to have the ur goon on your breastplate.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
To be fair, those are some fab rear end ribbons.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tunicate posted:

12 Caesars says Augustus had great parties and did poo poo like auctioning off paintings with their fronts to the wall so he was probably a pretty fun guy.

That's actually a really cool idea.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Ynglaur posted:

That's actually a really cool idea.

The Royal Collage of Art in London does a yearly sale of unsigned hand-painted postcards, painted by artists ranging from superstar to complete unknown. They tell you the artist after you buy it. The money goes to fund scholarships, and it's a really fun exhibition and a great chance to buy some affordable art.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Oh yeah, I just googled that and drat

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I can't find the post that recommended 1177 BC, but thanks to the goon who did because it's really good so far.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
what...did Romans find attractive in men? I know I look at Romans through my own utterly ordinary contemporary modern American hetero white male eyes but it seems like they have a lot of the same tastes we do.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bewbies posted:

what...did Romans find attractive in men? I know I look at Romans through my own utterly ordinary contemporary modern American hetero white male eyes but it seems like they have a lot of the same tastes we do.

The only really major ancient world / modern world difference in attractiveness standards that I'm aware of is that the Greeks considered smaller penises more attractive (because large ones were considered excessively immoderate and animalistic).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bewbies posted:

Auctoritas

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

bewbies posted:

i do know that if you are a classical greek, one way to compliment a good looking girl is to tell her she looks like a boy that looks like a girl

so, uh

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

HEY GUNS posted:

i do know that if you are a classical greek, one way to compliment a good looking girl is to tell her she looks like a boy that looks like a girl

so, uh

We have that word also -- "gaminesque"

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/gaminesque

Frequently used to describe Audrey Hepburn

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Koramei posted:

Subsaharan Africa is the major one.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

bewbies posted:

what...did Romans find attractive in men?

Butts

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

HEY GUNS posted:

so, uh

I..

I did that once...

Doesn't work nearly as well today as it did back then

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

HEY GUNS posted:

so, uh

As You Like It is such a good play.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Mr Enderby posted:

As You Like It is such a good play.

Along with the two distinct Blackadder episodes about just this thing.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Speaking of the Succession Plans being terrible

Someone mentioned the Macedonians Dynasty and the kicker is that Basil II had probably the worst succession plan ever.

Honestly the "best" dynastic period was probably the Komnenoi

You have Alexios rule for 37 years, his son (already an adult) John II rule for 25, his son (already an adult) Manuel rule for 37, it only fell apart when Manuel died and his son took the throne at like 10, then he got murdered. So you get 99 years with three uncontested Emperors of no dramatic succession crisis, and weird regencies like the Macedonians, although it fell apart catastrophically at the end. If they weren't so stable, the Empire probably would have died in the 11th century instead of the 15th.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 25, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bewbies posted:

a) other men
b) power

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The best succession was from Constantine to Maurice in the eastern empire, since it was peaceful until Phokas was a dick and re-introduced civil war as a way to grab the throne.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Grand Fromage posted:

The best succession was from Constantine to Maurice in the eastern empire, since it was peaceful until Phokas was a dick and re-introduced civil war as a way to grab the throne.

Basilicus says hi?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jack2142 posted:

Basilicus says hi?

Eh. Not the same as marching on the city and taking it.

But okay, it wasn't entirely peaceful but by ancient/Roman standards it was very stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What are some of you guys most favorite paintings of historical events of antiquity? I’m looking to get a few prints framed. The Neoclassical stuff by David is pretty good if not meant to be a realistic depiction.