Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I can see that happening.

Glad to be wrong about Natalie's stealth skills! :byewhore:

Oh, I see what you mean now... Players can't steal idols. Once a player finds an idol, it's their idol unless they willingly give it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

"Survivor- David Vs Goliath: Can I have your jacket?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

All of that jacket poo poo was gross and pathetic

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I was under the mistaken impression they hid idols under all three tripods based on what was aired. No matter, I'm not used to these new-fangled idols and three teams.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I was under the mistaken impression they hid idols under all three tripods based on what was aired. No matter, I'm not used to these new-fangled idols and three teams.

That's pretty much never how it works. Usually it's 1 camp has that idol clue in it, and it's the only tribe that has an idol hidden at the challenge.

At the very least, they most certainly don't actually put the idols in the challenge unless someone had found the clue that there would be one there.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

AdmiralViscen posted:

All of that jacket poo poo was gross and pathetic

The plotting to steal Lyrsa's jacket and vote her out is scummy but Angelina begging Natalie for her jacket as she leaves is one of the most hilariously petty moments on this show.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
https://twitter.com/AngelinaCardona/status/1055264312233668608

APPARENTLY IT'S EVEN BETTER

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

That's one cold woman

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not liking Dan. I don't know why. There's nothing in particular I can point to. There's just something about him that made me go "Oh no... not two idols. God drat it." Maybe it was ANYONE getting 2 idols but I think it was already there and that just raised it.

Christian seemed as at awe of his win as his tribemates. He on the other hand is very endearing. I hope Dan doesn't screw him. I get that vibe but it might just be my irrational dislike of Dan.

I was hugely critical of Alec last week so I find myself having to stop and ask if I should be just as harsh towards Mike this week. Here's the reasons I think I feel more ok with Mike's move than Alec's.
1) He evened the sides instead of giving David the advantage.
2) Alec betrayed a Goliath first so precedent was set when it comes time to explain at Merge.
3) Explaining why Natalie went home come Merge is gonna be really easy.
4) He did talk it out with Angelina before hand. Whether she was on board or not there won't be a big explanation at Tribal or paranoia about a secret plot. Angelina was on the same page all the way up to the vote.

Still, that one might come back to haunt Mike. We'll see.

Shneak posted:

The plotting to steal Lyrsa's jacket and vote her out is scummy but Angelina begging Natalie for her jacket as she leaves is one of the most hilariously petty moments on this show.

Right? Like Natalie will take the brunt of it for the bullying and for being her usual bullheaded self but Angelina totally was being entitled as hell too. She was just being pathetic about it instead of bullying.

I don't know whether to take this whole incident as evidence that Angelina has the willingness to manipulate people and try and stay on the right side to win this game or as evidence that she's just way too self absorbed to ever have a chance.

On the other hand.

"Natalie? Can I have your jacket? Natalie? Natalie? Natalie..."

I nearly died at the laugh that produced while eating.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 25, 2018

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Natalie......Natalie.......

....Natalie

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I also really enjoyed "Natalie, I think I just figured you out."

"No."

Jeff being the last person to try and reason with Natalie and be rejected was the perfect end to arch.

At least until "Natalie?"

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

The jacket drama was wonderful.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dan getting two idols is giving me serious 'guy gets voted out with two idols' vibes, though. I don't think he's nowhere smart enough to use them correctly.

I'm hoping, for his game's sake, he can ally with John more than he can ally with Kara. Not that Kara isn't a good ally, but that alliance is very lopsided in Kara's favour.

Also Angelina just shot to one of my favourites for this season. She's great.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AWarmBody posted:

That's one cold woman

:golfclap:

excellent joke

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Eighteen years into this show and we're still getting weird/petty/hilarious drama we haven't seen before. Jacketgate is a whole new level of ridiculous, and while I can't give Natalie credit for much in the game, I do give her credit for seeing right straight the gently caress through Angelina's terrible transparent ruse and giving her the proverbial and literal cold shoulder on her way out the door. :iceburn:

Somebody else made a point that if Natalie had swapped with any Goliaths but Mike, she'd probably still be there since she's an ideal goat and completely loyal, but Mike is there for the Survivor Experience™ rather than the money, so he has no use for anything or anyone that is making his Survivor Experience™ unpleasant.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Natalie seems to be that unpleasant that she gets on everybody's nerves except maybe John, who's likely used to having to work with a lot of Natalies in his career.

An ideal goat is one thing, but if they're going to wear on your sanity for 39 days, maybe it's just not worth it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

"Survivor- David Vs Goliath: Can I have your jacket?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

It was probably only a matter of time for Natalie given how unbearable she was. But I think I can see a case to vote out Lyrsa first to get the dominating 3-1 advantage and then you can have Natalie as a safety dunk if you lose again.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not liking Dan. I don't know why. There's nothing in particular I can point to. There's just something about him that made me go "Oh no... not two idols. God drat it." Maybe it was ANYONE getting 2 idols but I think it was already there and that just raised it.
He's a good dude to have 2 idols imo because we know he's kind of doofy. More likely for some fun poo poo to happen with him holding them. Everyone already knows about one of them, so he could surprise them with the second, but how long do you think he'll go before telling someone he has two?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
This season loving rules

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

This season loving rules

:yeah:

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I don't understand the "Lyrsa doesn't add much" excuse for voting her, she seems to always contribute at challenges and work hard around camp. Just say it's because she's a David.

I think Natalie was just too awful to be around to have as a goat. When you only get to be around a few people all day long, and one of them is a bossy, lazy know-it-all who thinks they're a humble hard worker...you can only take so much.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It seemed pretty obvious in hindsight that Mike was going to flip; he was already on very shaky standing in the Goliath tribe since his only ally was Jeremy. I don't necessarily agree with the move (it's way easier to form sub-alliances when you're in the majority and have more say rather than as the flipper on the bottom of the new majority), but it wasn't too surprising, unlike Alec's flip.

It's very likely that Davids will have the majority come merge, unless Green goes to Tribal (even then, I think Alison is clearly on the outs since Christian might be able to protect Gabby). Even if a David was voted out, the Goliaths are already fragmented due to Alec/Mike's flips. The Davids have their own cracks, so it's not impossible to swing the other way though. But there are some big cross-tribal alliances possible: Mike/Nick, Christian/Dan/John, Alec/Davie/Carl, Kara/Elizabeth, and we see Alison/Gabby for next week. The only one that hasn't really bonded with anyone is Angelina, but I don't think she's the prime target at merge so she'll have room to maneuver.

Anyway, Natalie's exit press is out. Nothing too interesting, although if you were interested in her feud with Jeremy:

quote:

I wasn’t really sure at the time if he injured me deliberately. What happened was, at the first challenge we had to get through or over this bar and as I got to the bar, there was a David encroaching on my right side. And as I went to lift my left leg to go over the bar, and I’m at midpoint, Jeremy actually grabs my leg, slings it forward, and I get thrown completely off balance and I fall. But guess what? I fall in traffic. So now I’m trampled.

I thought it was a mistake initially, but when I got up and I looked at his face, I thought, oh my God, is he angry at me for falling? He screamed in my face to the point I could feel and smell his breath and he said, “I was trying to help you!” And I said, “How are you trying to help me when you are causing me to fall?” I told him “You probably just cost me this game!” Because I knew that I was hurt, but I didn’t want to tell them that I was hurt as much as I was because I didn’t want them talking about, “Do you need to go out of the game?”

quote:

Holmes: Things got off to a rocky start with you and Jeremy. How did that feud start?
Cole: I had a lot of factors against me. I was bullied by Jeremy, you didn’t see the half of it. You never saw me approach him and start an argument, and yet I was considered to be confrontational. I was protecting myself. And then you have people who become followers instead of leading. Day one, I hit John up. I said, “John, I need you to help get me through the first half of the game. And I’m going to help you get through the second half of the game. I need you now because I may be an early target.” John and I made a commitment on day one, I made the same commitment with Dan. I approached Jeremy and said, “I’d like for you and I to consider…” and before I could say anything he cut me off and said he’s not doing that. He said, “We’re the only two black people out here. They’re going to target you and me first.” I don’t believe that. I’m not going to look at the glass half empty. He wouldn’t even hear my full strategy out. So, when he said, “Go get three or four people to back you and then I’ll consider.” I said, “Why don’t you be the first?” What he didn’t know was at that point I had John and Dan. Then I made the decision to not tell him anything because he will never have my back. If you listen to “First One Out” (Josh Wigler’s “Survivor” podcast) everyone speaks positively, they’ll work with me. What does Jeremy say? He says, “She reminds me of a lunch counter lady who gave me some free food.” Well, you couldn’t have been more wrong, buddy.

Take it with a grain of skepticism, but man, there really was no love lost there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

We already know from edit alone that John wanted to work with her for pretty much the exact reason she said so I'm inclined to believe her.

As soon as she ended up with Mike on her shuffled tribe I knew she was in trouble.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I graduated magna cum laude from culinary school.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Yeah I'm not totally buying Natalie as an effective goat to be honest. If you are abrasive to the point that people don't really want to be around you at camp, you are a liability alliance-wise, and I could totally see Natalie being the kind of player to get more unbearable the longer they stay in the game and build more confidence. Like there was no semblance of a social game being played by her.

The best goats are the ones whose pre-merge games are at least somewhat defensible, someone like a Laurel from last season. My sense also is that the more mild-mannered players make better goats. I think players nowadays are generally too savvy not to realize that a Phillip or a Natalie is being groomed to occupy their seat at the end of the game.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea, it's one thing to be a bump on a log or be passively annoying and be a goat, but you can't attach yourself to someone who's aggressively annoying and who seems to at least have the potential to do something incredibly reckless at any moment.

Goat-wise, I think you want someone who's either a complete non-entity or is, at worst, a quietly lazy person. Someone who never wants to contribute but wants to yell at people when they don't contribute for her is total poison.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Someone dredge up the Caramoan thread and tell me if people were pushing for Shamar to get dragged to the end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

More than that I think an ideal goat is someone you want to be able to control or at least predict. And Natalie's obviously just too strong willed to do that. You want someone like Phillip or Coach who you can just placate and convince him that he's running things. Or someone who is just easily controlled and manipulated who you can be confident will just go along with surviving and never rock the boat.

But someone like Natalie has real "Chaos Kass" risk. She doesn't have to be a good player or have allies. She just has to be determined and petty enough to gently caress you when she realizes she's a swing vote.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

STAC Goat posted:

Christian seemed as at awe of his win as his tribemates. He on the other hand is very endearing. I hope Dan doesn't screw him. I get that vibe but it might just be my irrational dislike of Dan.

I was hugely critical of Alec last week so I find myself having to stop and ask if I should be just as harsh towards Mike this week. Here's the reasons I think I feel more ok with Mike's move than Alec's.
1) He evened the sides instead of giving David the advantage.
2) Alec betrayed a Goliath first so precedent was set when it comes time to explain at Merge.
3) Explaining why Natalie went home come Merge is gonna be really easy.
4) He did talk it out with Angelina before hand. Whether she was on board or not there won't be a big explanation at Tribal or paranoia about a secret plot. Angelina was on the same page all the way up to the vote.

Still, that one might come back to haunt Mike. We'll see.

Right? Like Natalie will take the brunt of it for the bullying and for being her usual bullheaded self but Angelina totally was being entitled as hell too. She was just being pathetic about it instead of bullying.

I don't know whether to take this whole incident as evidence that Angelina has the willingness to manipulate people and try and stay on the right side to win this game or as evidence that she's just way too self absorbed to ever have a chance.

On the other hand.

"Natalie? Can I have your jacket? Natalie? Natalie? Natalie..."

I nearly died at the laugh that produced while eating.

Mike's move is better because he's developed a strong alliance with Nick. Alec had no similar assurance.

It is incredibly funny that Goliath had numbers in every single tribe, and pissed it away on petty vendettas. I think the next boot is Kara or Alec, which, lol. The whole story of the season seems to be the Goliaths squandering their advantage.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pinterest Mom posted:

I graduated magna cum laude from culinary school.

That's cool. You are probably an expert on cooking eggs and average joe should take your advice so we don't mess up the cooking of the eggs.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh my god that final scene is the most awkwardly hilarious things Survivor has ever shown.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Seriously. It's right up there with the finale night marriage proposal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm really tempted to seek out Angelina's social media presence just to see how she defends that.

"No, see, I'm just one of those people who gets cold" or "it was all a mind game..."?

Spatula City posted:

Mike's move is better because he's developed a strong alliance with Nick. Alec had no similar assurance.

I mean, Alec feels he has a strong alliance with a David too. And Nick actively said that his game strategy is to form a named 2 person alliance with everyone on the island. So I'm not sure that part actually makes Mike's position any stronger.

But I still think Mike just had more reasons and a better position to make that move than Alec did.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 25, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

stupid double post

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Maybe its just because he'll always be Ned Schneebly to me, but Mike strikes me as one of the Davids at heart.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I mean intellectually I get that he's successful and rich so he's a Goliath. But he's like the personification of "David".

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Someone dredge up the Caramoan thread and tell me if people were pushing for Shamar to get dragged to the end.

lmao i went and looked it up

Effingham posted:

THing about Shamar -- I HATE him and I'd want him to go if I were on the team. But OTOH, he'd be the perfect goat to bring along to the final.

Spiky Ooze posted:

MILF lady is smart. She is definitely putting Shamar in her pocket as a goat and keeping the attention in camp on him. Which she needs to do because being a middle-aged woman she's a pretty easy vote off whenever. The rest of them yeah they're pretty stupid.

Best irony was that Sherri ended up one of the No Vote Goats at the end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My vague memory is that Sherri seemed like one of the only mildly intelligent newbies who had a chance to outsmart Figgy and that dude who was freaky good at ring tosses. But then Phillip was like "come be my goat" and she said "Cool!" and stopped playing.

But I hated that season and may have just replaced it with a parody version in my head.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Caramoan was trash. I don't even remember who won. Cochran? No kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

I'm really tempted to seek out Angelina's social media presence just to see how she defends that.

"No, see, I'm just one of those people who gets cold" or "it was all a mind game..."?

Scroll up