Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Searching rules, so it’s not that the genre is played out.

Dark Web basically falls apart at the twist, where you actually get the opposite of Unfriended: instead of the joke that the ‘ghost’ is just a collective of lame nerds, Dark Web posits that its lame nerd collective is the front for an international Jewish conspiracy. Like, “we didn’t just find some gangster’s laptop; it was planted. It’s all a game - an alternate reality game! We’ve been transported into an alternate reality!”

And that’s way less interesting than the reverse - which is why movies like The Den and My Little Eye are far more successful.

Dark Web doesn’t even do that much with the Fraps Horror aesthetic, where Unfriended focussed on the way that people use their computers.

See, I saw it more as like how the original was a FF movie for the facebook/twitter/snapchat generation, Dark web is more a FF movie for the ANTIFA, Alt-right, Russian hacker, pizzagate, etc generation, with an overall plot that resembles a false flag rant that includes all poweful hackers, swatting/police shootings, new apps and nonsensical underground conspiracies than anything else. I don't think it's as insightful about it's topic as the original and it paints in borad strokes, but as I said I still quite enjoyed it.

Also, what ending did you get and does the either ending effect your opinions at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Not gonna get to in to it too deep, but a suggestion to seek therapy shouldn't be seen as some kind of slam, especially in the context given, and especially in this open community. I go to therapy every Wednesday if I can afford it and it's the best thing I've ever done for my mental health. Getting new meds next week.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I don't know if we're allowed to ask to be a mod here, but I check this poo poo daily and am always around so if we can suggest ourselves as the replacement I'll throw my hat in the ring.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Mod Dickeye you cowards

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Mod Dickeye you cowards

Again, I will immediately create accounts for IKs and Dole out the passwords to trusted posters so that they can be my secret police

You'll never know when one is reading your lovely posts

This is clearly the best idea

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Ytotd: clips from Sam Raimi’s old 8/16mm movies. I learned about this reading the Evil Dead Companion, it’s pretty funny to watch them progress from Three Stooges remakes to loving Evil Dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyDJ7FZukTk

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Saw Widows at the Smithsonian African-American Film Festival. It's maybe the only Steve McQueen film that comes anywhere close to crowd-pleasing (if my crowd was anything to go by, at least) and it's weird to say that? Film's pretty good and it still feels like McQueen.

If Beale Street Could Talk is also playing the fest with Barry Jenkins in attendance, but it sold out long before I heard about the festival.

I hope Smithsonian keeps doing this thing next year.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Ytotd: clips from Sam Raimi’s old 8/16mm movies. I learned about this reading the Evil Dead Companion, it’s pretty funny to watch them progress from Three Stooges remakes to loving Evil Dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyDJ7FZukTk

They also made a short that was sort of a prototype for Evil Dead called Within the Woods but unfortunately any version of that which has ever surfaced seems to be sourced from a 500th generation VHS tape and the picture is so muddy that for most of the running time you can't see what's happening.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i say make everyone who posts in this thread a mod. When everyone's special, no one will be.

also CP i do not generally agree with you on movie opinions but I do think it's really weird when people try to ascribe personal ailments to you because you don't like Zack Snyder (you know aside from bad taste ZING)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Mod Clevin

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I actually do like Zack Snyder! That’s the weird part. I just hate his DC movies, and have been waiting for him to get off that train for a while.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
No one really cares what you "like".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Since I've never seen someone be active then go to banned just from returning to a (different) thread, what did Lurdiak post?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Since I've never seen someone be active then go to banned just from returning to a (different) thread, what did Lurdiak post?

I quoted it if you want the actual words, but basically it was celebrating the concept of Dickeye killing themself.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Friends Are Evil posted:

Saw Widows at the Smithsonian African-American Film Festival. It's maybe the only Steve McQueen film that comes anywhere close to crowd-pleasing (if my crowd was anything to go by, at least) and it's weird to say that? Film's pretty good and it still feels like McQueen.

If Beale Street Could Talk is also playing the fest with Barry Jenkins in attendance, but it sold out long before I heard about the festival.

I hope Smithsonian keeps doing this thing next year.

Yeah, I went to a screening of Widows last week and loved it. It’s an unusual but successful hybrid between an art house and a heist film. Terrific performances and stunning cinematography too.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

No one really cares what you "like".

Ah, the lack of self awareness in this post is wonderful.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

therattle posted:

Ah, the lack of self awareness in this post is wonderful.

Hardly. I don't talk about movies in terms of liking or disliking them, because what people feel about the movies isn't really interesting. What they think about them is.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I don't think people get on cp because they "don't like" Snyder, botl is right, no one gives a poo poo who you like. Cp, like most Snyder detractors, never really have a satisfying answer beyond "because" so folks here looking for some kind of two way end up seemingly bullying someone because they never get a proper response.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I will be interested in seeing Widows. I liked the tv series.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Also, you can have poo poo taste and still care for others as people. There's not a lot of good on the internet, but I do hope for the best for everyone here.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Saying life isn't overall good isn't a red flag ya silly.

Eeh, maybe I'm just too sensitive to those sorts of comments, but I'd still err on the side of caution. Just know I did it with good intent, and not some passive aggressive dig at you, and I assume the same of the others. People can be sincere on the internet too, ya know :)

DC Murderverse posted:

also CP i do not generally agree with you on movie opinions but I do think it's really weird when people try to ascribe personal ailments to you because you don't like Zack Snyder (you know aside from bad taste ZING)

His opinion on directors and movies had no bearing on this what so ever, I'd do the same to anyone else

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You know, you guys are really slowly starting to prove cp's original point

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Hardly. I don't talk about movies in terms of liking or disliking them, because what people feel about the movies isn't really interesting. What they think about them is.

Yuck, man

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Snyder people’s thing is basically taking the really extremely surface level stuff like “Superman does a Christ pose once” and adding all sorts of depth and acting like he’s a subtextual genius for including these Christian undertones and making movies about ubermensches or whatever. I gave up on them after one of them defended the piss-drinking in BvS.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

The Snyder people’s thing is basically taking the really extremely surface level stuff like “Superman does a Christ pose once” and adding all sorts of depth and acting like he’s a subtextual genius for including these Christian undertones and making movies about ubermensches or whatever. I gave up on them after one of them defended the piss-drinking in BvS.

1) No one defends Snyder on the strength of "depth," "subtext" or "undertones". They defend him on the strength of the surface, text, and overtones.

2) There is no piss-drinking in BvS.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

axelblaze posted:

I feel like I'm in some sort of curb your enthusiasm bit at this point

Escobarbarian posted:

Guess you could say it was a real ...piss take :smug:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

1) No one defends Snyder on the strength of "depth," "subtext" or "undertones". They defend him on the strength of the surface, text, and overtones.

2) There is no piss-drinking in BvS.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me: also, BotL is a Snyder person.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Ugh, those people are such a hive-mind, I'm glad we all agree on that"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I like feelings.

I also like reading outlandish interpretations that help make a movie better.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CPL593H posted:

They also made a short that was sort of a prototype for Evil Dead called Within the Woods but unfortunately any version of that which has ever surfaced seems to be sourced from a 500th generation VHS tape and the picture is so muddy that for most of the running time you can't see what's happening.

I wonder if a pristine copy is just waiting in some guy’s storage unit, ready to be restored like how that goon found Manos.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gently caress off

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i wonder what the solar flare of goon rage would look like if i modded botl

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

axelblaze posted:

Which point? The one where we shouldn’t be concerned about someone who is frequently posting about how horrible life is? Or the point where the comic book thread, in the lulls between releases, talks about Snyder when the weekly drive-by of “you guys are dumb cuz you like Snyder” happens?

It’s true that CineD disproportionately talks about big superhero movies compared to someone like Egbert Souse who will watch and give good takes on pretty much fuckin’ anything, but I don’t view that as that big of a problem when the genre is by far the biggest thing in cinema right now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

R. Dieovich posted:

I mean all jokes about how you should make me a mod aside generally speaking modding a deliberately abraisive rear end in a top hat everyone hates is a bad idea

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

axelblaze posted:

His original point was that a bunch of us should be banned for being a terrible Snyder hivemind who gangs up on him. Like he didn't outright call for a ban but he said we were "the single biggest issue with CD" and a "hive mind" and that our behavior was "creepy" and he just wanted any potential new mod to know this. Then Skwirl said "the new mod should ban those fuckers" and someone else suggested closing down the comic book movie thread entirely.

As evidence of our creepiness he linked an incident where me and two other posters asked if he was okay after he posted that his life was miserable, and one of us (McCloud) tactfully changed the subject basically immediately when he got annoyed. This incident had nothing to do with Snyder, and I mean literally it was during a conversation that had nothing to do with him.

I don't think it's all that odd for people to show up and defend themselves. It was honestly kind of a gut punch wandering in here and seeing an incident where I was genuinely trying to be nice dredged up and mischaracterized so badly and for another guy to call for my banning.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

R. Dieovich posted:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

R. Dieovich posted:

nine-gear crow would def melt down.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

Which point? The one where we shouldn’t be concerned about someone who is frequently posting about how horrible life is? Or the point where the comic book thread, in the lulls between releases, talks about Snyder when the weekly drive-by of “you guys are dumb cuz you like Snyder” happens?

It’s true that CineD disproportionately talks about big superhero movies compared to someone like Egbert Souse who will watch and give good takes on pretty much fuckin’ anything, but I don’t view that as that big of a problem when the genre is by far the biggest thing in cinema right now.

His original point wasn't so much about the topic of what he was talking about but more that the response and often the response to his Snyder posts was a group of people that don't even usually post showed up out of no where to hammer the same point into him over and over again and the response to the post was for a bunch of people that don't usually post to show up and hammer the same point into him over and over.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

Or the point where the comic book thread, in the lulls between releases, talks about Snyder when the weekly drive-by of “you guys are dumb cuz you like Snyder” happens?

is this a joke

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

axelblaze posted:

His original point wasn't so much about the topic of what he was talking about but more that the response and often the response to his Snyder posts was a group of people that don't even usually post showed up out of no where to hammer the same point into him over and over again and the response to the post was for a bunch of people that don't usually post to show up and hammer the same point into him over and over.

If this group of people don't even usually post, how are they any kind of a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Not to drudge up the topic for a third time, but the recent discussion about sex workers got me to finally listen to Jon Ronson's podcast The Butterfly Effect, and it's very good.

Pretty much essential if you're a Ronson fan.

• Locked thread