Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I only know Jason Mantzoukas from his podcast about lovely movies called How Did This Get Made? so it's always slightly weird whenever I see him on a movie poster or in a trailer. "Hey it's the podcast guy!"

He uses the same grown-up crazed voice to play a 12 year old kid in the cartoon Big Mouth.

The other characters all use their grown-up voices too, but they don't sound like crazed 40 year old men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
He’s perfect as Raffi in The League.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eventually. When he first shows up he's an absurd annoying cartoon that doesn't fit at all, but the show catches up to him by his next few appearances.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Mark Evans Jackson is in all three too. (the only lawyer in Pawnee, Kevin, Shawn).

Kristen Bell has a couple guest spots in P&R too as Leslie's Eagletonian version.

I hope Rob Lowe shows up as the opposite version of Trevor.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Alison Becker (reporter Shauna Malwae-Tweep) and Maribeth Monroe (the head of the IOW who gives Ron the Dorothy Everton-Smythe award) also make appearances, although Becker is weirdly uncredited.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I only know Jason Mantzoukas from his podcast about lovely movies called How Did This Get Made? so it's always slightly weird whenever I see him on a movie poster or in a trailer. "Hey it's the podcast guy!"
I hope he gets into a F&F movie sometime, p much his dream. :v:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

rydiafan posted:

Jason Mantzoukas is in John Wick 3 as a character named Tick Tock Man.

That's the greatest sentence I have ever typed.

In the board game eldritch horror we lost a game because of a random monster called the tick tock men which are basically government agents who show up and gently caress up all your research, just messing up all your pots and pans on a global scale. What the gently caress is a tick tock man outside of that?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A short story by Harlan Ellison?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krinkle posted:

In the board game eldritch horror we lost a game because of a random monster called the tick tock men which are basically government agents who show up and gently caress up all your research, just messing up all your pots and pans on a global scale. What the gently caress is a tick tock man outside of that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Repent,_Harlequin!%22_Said_the_Ticktockman

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I had the day off work, so I just sat down and finished the Good Place season 1 on the thread's recommendation, and now I'm looking forward to getting caught up with it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What a show. Fun to share with friends because the rewatch is so solid.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Twitch posted:

I had the day off work, so I just sat down and finished the Good Place season 1 on the thread's recommendation, and now I'm looking forward to getting caught up with it.

Kirsten Bell filmed this while Mike Schur read the script

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi-J5QyF4hU

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Good Place will be a show taught in screenwriting classes on taking what seems to be a quirky, but limited idea and somehow turning it into 3 seasons of the best 30 minute television in a decade. I keep on thinking they're write themselves into a plot corner and then the show will stagnant but it never happens.

The best part is that even though it seems like they have so little, they don't piss around to fill time. There's so many times where a lesser show could've milked an idea for several episodes or a whole season, but The Good Place knows when to wrap poo poo up and move on. I had a bunch of examples typed out, but I'm gonna go with everyone else and just avoid anything remotely spoilerish because this show is so good cold.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Worth mentioning The Good Place podcast, which discusses each episode with a different crew member (actors, writers, VFX, set designers, costume designers, etc). It's hosted by William Jackson Harper who plays Shawn. It's really interesting.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

rydiafan posted:

Jason Mantzoukas is in John Wick 3 as a character named Tick Tock Man.

That's the greatest sentence I have ever typed.

Mark Dacascos is in it as a character named Zero. Just in case you weren't sure it could get any better, it turns it it could.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

The new Halloween has some good stuff:

”You must be the new Loomis”

The callback to the first movie when Laurie looks over the balcony, sees Michael on the ground, looks away and he’s gone is done perfectly.

Also, the in-movie explanation of the new timeline is handled in just a couple lines and it’s much better than spending forever trying to tie it all together.

All in all, I enjoyed it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

minato posted:

Worth mentioning The Good Place podcast, which discusses each episode with a different crew member (actors, writers, VFX, set designers, costume designers, etc). It's hosted by William Jackson Harper who plays Shawn. It's really interesting.

You mean Mark Evan Jackson. William Jackson Harper is Chidi, who is surprisingly ripped.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

eelmonger posted:

The best part is that even though it seems like they have so little, they don't piss around to fill time. There's so many times where a lesser show could've milked an idea for several episodes or a whole season, but The Good Place knows when to wrap poo poo up and move on. I had a bunch of examples typed out, but I'm gonna go with everyone else and just avoid anything remotely spoilerish because this show is so good cold.

It really helps that it's a story-driven comedy that only has about half as many episodes per season as other comedies in its format. More shows (of all genres) could benefit from smaller, tighter seasons.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

synthetik posted:

The new Halloween has some good stuff:

”You must be the new Loomis”

The callback to the first movie when Laurie looks over the balcony, sees Michael on the ground, looks away and he’s gone is done perfectly.

Also, the in-movie explanation of the new timeline is handled in just a couple lines and it’s much better than spending forever trying to tie it all together.

All in all, I enjoyed it.

Did you notice that Alysson's boyfriend is the son of the kid that Loomis scares away from the Myers house in 1978? (Not a spoiler, as it is of no plot relevance whatsoever.)

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

Jedit posted:

Did you notice that Alysson's boyfriend is the son of the kid that Loomis scares away from the Myers house in 1978? (Not a spoiler, as it is of no plot relevance whatsoever.)

I missed that one. A couple more:

The white sheet/ghost costume on the dead babysitter.

Laurie coming out of the shadow behind Micheal.

The gas station being the same as part 2.

Allyson looking out the classroom window and seeing Laurie just like Laurie saw Michael in part 1.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm completely caught up with The Good Place. It's interesting straight after Crazy Ex-Girlfriend because the latter is an indepth look at personality disorders through the eyes of a case study, the former is an in depth exploration of Ethics, Existentialism and Eschatology. I like that each season changes the formula completely, similarly again to Crazy Ex.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:50 on Oct 23, 2018

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Please tag your The Good Place spoilers--I'm someone else who petered out halfway through the first season and just never got around to watching the rest. (Only some of it was on On Demand at the time, and by the time it hit Netflix, we had a lot of other stuff to watch.)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Did so, sorry. Didn't realise I'd said too much.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I meant moving forward, but thanks. :shobon:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something about the Good Place: I asked my dad if he'd seen it, and he said that he hasn't but he knew "The twist", which is hilarious because that twist is small potatoes compared to where the later seasons go. He knows maybe 10% of the plot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
So an unrelated cute little thing from a related sitcom, Brooklyn 99. In one episode of season 5, they bring back a gag from season 1, of Jake trying to break someone during an interrogation by playing a guitar badly and screaming. It's an extremely unsubtle joke, with a bit of an edge that as an audience we know Andy Samberg is a known musician. But I just found a Youtube video that put them right next to each other, and realized something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb8BCNPRrCM&t=190s

(At 3:10 if it doesn't go there)

Jake got better at guitar!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

my favorite subtle moment in the good place is how it showed me i am actually in hell myself, by not letting netflix norway show the 2nd and 3rd season of it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Biplane posted:

my favorite subtle moment in the good place is how it showed me i am actually in hell myself, by not letting netflix norway show the 2nd and 3rd season of it.

Use a VPN?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Use a VPN?

They've wised up to that, don't think it works anymore

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Netflix detects VPNs now.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
They don't detect all of them, it seems. I've been using one to claim Americanism to watch The Flash. Of the four US regions it offers, three of them are picked up as VPNs, but not the fourth for some reason.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Netflix thinks nobody would voluntarily claim to be from Ohio, so it must be legit

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Phy posted:

Netflix thinks nobody would voluntarily claim to be from Ohio, so it must be legit

There's people with Ohio pride and they weird me out. This place is a black hole

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If Cincinnati chili was any good it would be all over the country. Nobody wants your disgusting sweet pumpkin spice chili.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

At least 24 Ohioans hated the place so much they became astronauts to escape it.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They had a Slenderman episode where the whole thing is a Scooby-doo hoax turned murderous.

Conversely, the latest season to hit Netflix has a Scooby-Doo crossover episode where the boys are sucked into a cartoon, and they bring real, non-rubber-mask monsters in with them (much to the horror of the Scooby gang)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alternative pants posted:

At least 24 Ohioans hated the place so much they became astronauts to escape it.

One of those astronauts: Neil Armstrong, the first Ohioan to ever set foot on a celestial body with no goddamn Ohio on it.

puppets freak me out
Dec 18, 2015

Phy posted:

One of those astronauts: Neil Armstrong, the first Ohioan to ever set foot on a celestial body with no goddamn Ohio on it.

Wrong. Earth is a prison meant to keep Ohio away from the rest of the universe. Neil Armstrong is an asymptomatic carrier and doomed all life, everywhere, because he broke containment.

And Skyline Chili still manages to be worse.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Patattack posted:

Conversely, the latest season to hit Netflix has a Scooby-Doo crossover episode where the boys are sucked into a cartoon, and they bring real, non-rubber-mask monsters in with them (much to the horror of the Scooby gang)

Oh please, they deal with those every other movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

puppets freak me out posted:

Wrong. Earth is a prison meant to keep Ohio away from the rest of the universe. Neil Armstrong is an asymptomatic carrier and doomed all life, everywhere, because he broke containment.

And Skyline Chili still manages to be worse.

Can you blame him? He was finally given the chance to get off the only planet with Ohio on it, you'd need to have superhuman levels of willpower to resist that chance, even for the sake of the universe