Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Count Chocula posted:

The new TARDIS is full of crystals. Everything makes sense now.

I am literally the most socially isolated person in history. I have literally no social contacts. And I don’t believe in ANYTHING.
I think conspiracy theories are a way of asserting control over a chaotic world by finding a hidden meaning for things. For more, read Umberto Eco’s Foucault’s Pendulum.

Are there any good Aussie conspiracy theories besides Port Arthur and Harold Holt?

Australia had a prominent scholar of time cube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Count Chocula posted:

Are there any good Aussie conspiracy theories besides Port Arthur and Harold Holt?

Pine Gap gets a few but they are kinda boring and generic.

Canberra having occult symbols built into its layout is just a copy of the same idea about Washington (and probably most planned cities).

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Count Chocula posted:

the royal family getting whitlam dismissed

the aum shinrikyo nuclear test in WA

secret nuclear weapons (i've heard landmines, for salting the north in case of Communist Indonesian invasion)

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

thatbastardken posted:

um this isn't a conspiracy mate

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
It’s not quite a conspiracy theory, but I like to tell people that the first Mad Max movie isn’t post-apocalyptic, that’s just how regional Australia is.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The strategic nuclear landmine theory owns I love that poo poo

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
The first Mad Max isn't post apocalyptic.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Count Chocula posted:

It’s not quite a conspiracy theory, but I like to tell people that the first Mad Max movie isn’t post-apocalyptic, that’s just how regional Australia is.

It was filmed around Ballarat and Geelong after all.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

thatbastardken posted:

the royal family getting whitlam dismissed
This one is more likely to be true than not, given the GG would likely have had to turn to Buckingham Palace for the go-ahead, and the fact that the Queen's private secretary won't release any of the correspondence, which is against convention, indicates there is an actual conspiracy here. Attended a small talk by the author/researcher of one of the recent books on the subject at the union national council this year.

thatbastardken posted:

I mean, it's really loving unlikely given the equipment and technology required to enrich uranium. They would have been better off just stealing a device from the collapsing soviet union - in which case the test would be unnecessary and also wasteful.

thatbastardken posted:

secret nuclear weapons (i've heard landmines, for salting the north in case of Communist Indonesian invasion)
Again really unlikely - if they were there, Americans would have had to have been there to manage them too. Also, I don't see the strategic benefit, as the amount of radiologically harmful material you'd need to disseminate across that extent of landmass as an area denial weapon would almost certainly lead to mass casualties across most of the region. You'd be far better off loading up a bunch of cruise missiles with VX and dropping them on any attempted beachhead.

But then most of the treaties prohibiting nuclear proliferation were broken in the 1980s by Reagan (see-West Germany), before he went hard at the whole nuclear disarmament schtick, then blew it all up because he wouldn't give up SDI, so gently caress who knows.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

GoldStandardConure posted:

The first Mad Max isn't post apocalyptic.

It kind of is seeing as every vestige of order is basically gone, but yeah it's mid apocalypse if anything.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

yeah i know they're unlikely (except the whitlam one) that's why they're conspiracy theories and not like...history.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ASIO did the Hilton Bombing.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

It kind of is seeing as every vestige of order is basically gone, but yeah it's mid apocalypse if anything.

Its at the start of the collapse, I think Miller described it as taking place "next Wednesday".

There is still a vestige of order, The Main Force Patrol :colbert:

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
The CIA working to destabilize the Whitlam government.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

ASIO did the Hilton Bombing.

ASIS bugged the East Timorese during negotiations over oil and gas rights so they could get the upper hand

Oh wait that's true

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Tampa and Children Overboard were deliberately engineered by an actually fascist government in order to torture and kill refugees, as well as to ferment racism and nationalism to help them get re-elected.

Oh wait

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

ASIS bugged the East Timorese during negotiations over oil and gas rights so they could get the upper hand

Oh wait that's true

We bribed Saddam Hussein to buy our wheat, and numerous countries to use our currency.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Tony Abbott isn't a lizard wearing a human skin suit.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

the aum shinrikyo nuke is one of the GOATs and even with all the evidence against it I think there will always be a small part of me that unironically believes it

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
They were dropping a nuke on assorted australian wildlife to create a new kaiku that could take on Godzilla.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
When I lived in Annandale I used to laugh at the Nuclear Free Zone sign.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

You’re all talking nonsense. Metal is Ronnie James Dio and anything that sounds more-or-less exactly like Ronnie James Dio. Everything else is not-metal.

Metal goes like this, in this order:

• Wicked guitar riff
• The dude goes “WAAAAAOOOOOOOW!!!” in a high voice
• The dude sings about dragons, skeletons, the Sword of Blood, the night, etc.
Never thought I'd agree with Chika.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedYarns/status/1055310482372911104

https://www.buzzfeed.com/hannahryan/gary-johns-charities-indigenous-estimates

quote:

The boss of Australia's charity regulator has refused to back down from his earlier description of Aboriginal women as "cash cows", while claiming that including an acknowledgement of country in his email signature would make him seem biased.
Appearing before Senate Estimates on Wednesday evening, the head of the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC), Gary Johns, was questioned about his recent decision to remove the acknowledgement of country from the commission's email signatures.
Until a few months ago, his own signature and that of some of his staff had included an acknowledgement of country, beginning with "we acknowledge the elders". The practice of acknowledging country is common across the public service.
Johns said he was trying to avoid looking biased, as the commission oversees both Indigenous and non-indigenous charities and he is a "commissioner for all charities".
"It worried me, the term 'we acknowledge', because it refers to the commission," he said. "I took the view that ... using the words 'we acknowledge' imply that the entire commission was, if you like, acknowledging one group of charities and not others," he said.
"The words raise the perception of bias that I'm not treating all charities the same," he said. "I think that's plain on the face of it."
All lives matter :australia:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

froglet posted:

Oh there's the (imho rather disrespectful) one that aboriginal art of spirits are evidence of ancient aliens.

Well of course, that's obviously the Matrix of Leadership.

They were dropping a nuke on assorted australian wildlife to create a new kaiku that could take on Godzilla.

I read that as 'a new haiku' and I'm down.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I picked up Chariots of the Gods from the bargain bin when I was a teen and thought it was super clever

e: sorry, it was Fingerprints of the Gods

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Liberal MP Julia Banks has savaged her own party's stance on refugees stuck in Nauru in a dramatic speech that underscores the anger bubbling within the government over the crisis.
Ms Banks - who signalled her intention to quit politics or run as an independent at the next election following the coup against Malcolm Turnbull - accused both major parties of playing political games while sick children and their families languished on the island.
Speaking in the chamber while Immigration Minister David Coleman listened from the dispatch box, she slammed the government for failing to take up New Zealand's offer to accept 150 refugees a year from Nauru and Manus Island.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

tfw you're the australian labor party and you're being outflanked on the left by a lib

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
Shes totally preparing to be an independent?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That or she no longer gives a poo poo.

Or it's just a momentary lapse, like when Brandis Moylan and Georgiou criticised Howard about the treatment of refugees.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 25, 2018

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

https://twitter.com/jonkudelka/status/1055213317843644416

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

GODZILLA VS GIGAROO

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
remember when Dutton tried to become PM

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

Count Chocula posted:

Literally any and all theories involving The Somerton Man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamam_Shud_case?wprov=sfti1

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

NTRabbit posted:

GODZILLA VS GIGAROO

THE DOOMALA

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Jonah Galtberg posted:

tfw you're the australian labor party and you're being outflanked on the left by a lib

loving this.

Ora Tzo posted:

Shes totally preparing to be an independent?

She could absolutely pull it off if her electorate is anything like Wentworth... *peers* Oh poo poo that was Anna Burke's old electorate. She could have this in the bag if she plays it the right way.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Krabboss posted:

Australia had a prominent scholar of time cube

That dude was seriously mentally ill. IIRC he was dabbling in a lot of bad stuff like white supremacy in addition to the (mostly) harmless nonsense of time cube. He ended up jumping in front of a train.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
lol @ Rudd

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Zenithe posted:

That dude was seriously mentally ill. IIRC he was dabbling in a lot of bad stuff like white supremacy in addition to the (mostly) harmless nonsense of time cube. He ended up jumping in front of a train.

His story is incredibly depressing, honestly. I feel bad for the kid.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Re: metalhead chat, if you want a band with a pedigree of being personally hated by Peter Dutton, the lawyer behind the Ashmore Reef case is also the frontman of a melodic metal band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

NTRabbit posted:

GODZILLA VS GIGAROO

Reminds me of the kickstarted kaiju fighting game that got derailed by some furry's fetish character who was a kangaroo or something

• Locked thread