Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the info everyone!

peanut posted:

I reserved a bassinette months in advance. Call customer service asap.

Hm! My wife called (it's all booked through KLM, but it's delta for 2 hours then 11 hours to Germany, then KLM for the last leg) and they said it was day-of. I suppose we can try calling again!

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
My little girl finally arrived Wednesday at 40 weeks 2 days! My water broke and labor went pretty smooth until it was time to push. I pushed for 3 hours and opted for a C-section. Doctors didn't realize how stuck she was until they had to really push to get her out of my pelvis during the C-section. My husband said someone was nearly completely on top of me on the table trying to get her to pop back up. She ended up a big girl at 21 inches long and 8 pounds 4 ounces so it's no surprise she got stuck in my pelvis. It's been hard trying to recover from abdominal surgery while caring for a newborn but my husband and I are doing well.

However, my feet and legs have swollen up like sausages postpartum. I don't know how to deal with it since I was lucky enough to avoid swelling while pregnant. Does anyone have any tips on getting the swelling down? I can't even put pants on sometimes and it can be hard to walk.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Most likely the swelling is from the IV. I was more swollen post pregnancy than I was my whole pregnancy because of it. You're just going to have to piss it out.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
My girlfriend broke the news to me via a box:

But what was inside?:

Very excited, can't wait for the sleepless nights, screaming tantrums, and amazing family memories!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Congratulations, that's a really cute gift set.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
So husband and I went in for our NST and ultrasound on Thursday to check heartbeat and amniotic fluid. Tech said BP was high. She tried the other arm. Still high but she didn't say what it was. I said I felt like it was a little high, but I rushed to get there straight from work, and didn't really notice until she mentioned it. I said we should do the NST, and after laying down for 45 minutes I should feel better and we can do it again. She agreed. Then we forgot about it and after the NST I went to see my doctor for the ultrasound.

Baby looked good, fluid was still of course gaining. She said we needed to retake the blood pressure. Tech came back in. Still high. :( But didn't say anything other than she needed to go let my doctor know.

Doctor came back in and said we need to go to maternity triage now. Right now. We took off and got there within 10 minutes (thank goodness the hospital we love is close).

Apparently my BP was around 170/120. How I felt so normal, I have no idea. This was the first time we got to see what the panic was about... it was extremely nerve wrecking, on Thursday I was only 36 weeks and 1 day. The triage nurses called the on-call doctor for the office we go to and he made the call - start inducing. Now.

That was a rough time. It took forever to get dilated far enough. My cervix was made of steel and decided it was going to run and hide behind my pelvic bone. Having 4 different women go elbow deep into me to try to get the catheter in me turned into excruciating pain and I feel so bad for the women I was screaming at. They kept telling me it was only pressure, but it was not. The shift changed at 7 AM and the midwife that came on tried to put a speculum in me and after screaming for her to stop and she asked what it felt like, I said rusty knives. She said she wasn't going to do this to me and called the on-call doctor, which also changed at 7 AM.

She said to give me an epidural if I wanted it. That was the easiest part of the whole thing. They were so surprised how calm and collected I was during that. That's when the lighbulbs went off that I wasn't being a giant pain in the rear end, I really was in excruciating pain. At around 6pm Friday they finally broke my water. At 4 AM on Saturday they finally said I could start pushing. But told me I abused the epidural button and it was going to be rough. I was nervous and so not ready for this. But whoever in the thread earlier said "The only way out is through" I want to thank you because that's what got me through it. Right after they got me in the stirrups and I was starting to get anxious, husband said I could do it. I said "I know, the only way out is through so we have to do this" and the RN just gave me the weirdest look... like that was the most optimistic thing she'd ever heard in a delivery room.

34 minutes later, despite them telling me it was going to be a long day of pushing because of my epidural abuse (I really was getting sharp pains, NOT pressure... the one thing I can't stand is people telling you that you're not feeling something), she crowed and we welcomed Amelia Rose into the world. I pushed my rear end off (and have the pain to prove it). She ended up being 6 pounds 5 ounces at 36 weeks 3 days, and my goodness if I would have went to term she would have been a big baby to push out! She is perfectly healthy minus the normal jaundice. Me on the other hand, I was the holdup to leaving. My BP was staying up in the 150's for a while, but we finally went back to normal and were released today.

Moral of the story:
1. Be ready to go. Have that bag in the car. We live very, very close to the hospital so it wasn't a big deal for husband to run home and get it, but for a little bit it sucked not having my things.
2. Fill out your FMLA paperwork ASAP. We turned that in Thursday at the start of the appointment. I am kicking myself for not doing it earlier.
3. If you are planning to breastfeed and are using insurance to get a pump - start that RIGHT NOW. She has problems latching and I need a pump. We also turned that paperwork in Thursday at the start of the appointment... insurance says 2 weeks to deliver it. We ended up stopping on the way home and I ran in and bought what I wanted while they waited in the car. They don't reimburse so we are eating the cost, but I'm still going to get the pump from insurance. I bought a travel one today that has the option to use batteries that will get use when I go back to work.

OH - and if you're being told to head to triage, :siren: GET SOMETHING TO EAT FIRST :siren: I was so freaking hungry and couldn't have anything to eat. My last full meal was 11:00 AM Thursday, arrived at the hospital at 6 PM, and not allowed to eat until we moved from L&D to postpartum risk at around 7 AM Saturday morning.

Edit: Oh and with the "only way out is through" thing, I believe it was in regards to those awful pregnancy symptoms, and I will say it's been so nice since she's been born. Things that are gone: carpal tunnel, heartburn, hand swelling, intense heat (back to my frozen self finally). Pretty much everything faded away within 12-24 hours after birth. It's lovely and it sucks, but it's been so worth it so far. :)

Sarah fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 23, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Omg that sucks but you made it through!!!!

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Yikes, I'm 36 weeks 3 days today - this is a good kick up the rear end to go and get the car seat fitted and get my gear ready. Really glad you made it through in one piece! Christ I don't know how I'd handle someone condescendingly telling me what I was and wasn't feeling either.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Wow I can’t believe they accused you of abusing the epidural. Isn’t that why it’s there? And to get all pessimistic about how long your were going to have to push seems counterproductive. Sorry you had such rude doctors.

38+2 here and getting increasingly resentful that I’m still pregnant since my first came at 37 weeks. Also concerned about having to birth a pretty large baby since he was already 6lbs at 34 weeks. I know ultrasound estimates are notoriously off but my first was 7.5lbs and 3 weeks early so I think I grow them large. Scheduled for an induction in a week, which feels like an eternity away. There’s a full moon this Wednesday so one can hope, right?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I should have mentioned the anesthesiologist that did the epidural was awesome. The overnight one was the one giving me the lecture because I went through a bag that was meant to last 10 hours. After her lecture to me the RNs basically told her to gently caress off. They knew that I wasn’t just complaining about pressure.

They were right though, it was really hard to push because I could barely feel anything. It was a little pessimistic but also a warning to pace myself because it could take a while. Because my blood pressure was so high they were very worried I would stroke/seize so at first I had to sit through every other contraction without pushing. That didn’t last long because I became very impatient. I couldn’t feel myself push. No clue how I did it other than listening to husband telling me to keep going that I was doing great. I’m pretty sure after every contraction/push I commented how it sucks nothing is happening. They let me believe it so I would keep going at that rate or even harder. Sneaky bastards!!

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
So after having an ectopic pregnancy in April that ended in emergency surgery, I'm pregnant again. I've already been to the doctor and had an ultrasound to confirm that everything was where it was supposed to be, and it was. They saw a heartbeat, 98BPM, which is slow but not unusually slow considering it measured 5w4d at the time (with ovulation tests and everything I had estimated everything at about six weeks, so that was also a little worrying). I have another ultrasound tomorrow, should be closer to eight weeks and I'm so anxious it's awful. :( I haven't had any morning sickness whatsoever which is also kind of worrying to me. Logically I know the issue I had last time is definitely not present, but I'm still terrified something's going to go wrong or there won't be a heartbeat at all. Trying to calm myself down isn't easy.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

A Game of Chess posted:

So after having an ectopic pregnancy in April that ended in emergency surgery, I'm pregnant again. I've already been to the doctor and had an ultrasound to confirm that everything was where it was supposed to be, and it was. They saw a heartbeat, 98BPM, which is slow but not unusually slow considering it measured 5w4d at the time (with ovulation tests and everything I had estimated everything at about six weeks, so that was also a little worrying). I have another ultrasound tomorrow, should be closer to eight weeks and I'm so anxious it's awful. :( I haven't had any morning sickness whatsoever which is also kind of worrying to me. Logically I know the issue I had last time is definitely not present, but I'm still terrified something's going to go wrong or there won't be a heartbeat at all. Trying to calm myself down isn't easy.

If it helps we had an ectopic last year and a few other issues and my wife is 30 weeks pregnant with absolutely no issues now. We were so stressed probably up until 20 weeks though just waiting for the “other shoe” to drop but it never did thankfully :)

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Thank you — that does make me feel a little better. I’ve been trying to comfort myself with stats but sometimes first hand stories are almost more reassuring. It’s been crazy alternating between being so excited about it and terrified something’s going to go wrong as I’m sure you know first hand. :)

If everything goes well today we’re going to tell our families on Friday ... a little early, but it’s the first grandkid for both of our parents, and after last time, we’re eager to share some good news for a change.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I didn’t have any nausea until week 9, and I know what you mean by that being worrying! Besides sore nipples and heightened sense of smell, my body was not telling me I was pregnant. When I did get nausea, it only lasted two weeks. I’m 14 weeks today and back to having no symptoms besides the sore boobs and not being able to zip my jeans any more. Some days it still doesn’t feel real, and I imagined I’d be the kind of person to feel an instant bond the second I had the positive test.

Hang in there!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I had a miscarriage and then I got pregnant again 7 months later (Right after the first due date too ) and it took me a long time to be mentally happy about the pregnancy. If I'm honest, it took until he was born and I found out everything was ok for me to be 100%. I always had thoughts in the back of my head with "well what if THIS happens, and what if THAT happens". It took me a really long time to buy baby things and even get my to go bag ready.

Edit: My first pregnancy symptom was heightened smell. I kept complaining that something stunk in our cabinet in the kitchen and my husband thought I was nuts.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 24, 2018

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Sarah posted:

I should have mentioned the anesthesiologist that did the epidural was awesome. The overnight one was the one giving me the lecture because I went through a bag that was meant to last 10 hours. After her lecture to me the RNs basically told her to gently caress off. They knew that I wasn’t just complaining about pressure.

They were right though, it was really hard to push because I could barely feel anything. It was a little pessimistic but also a warning to pace myself because it could take a while. Because my blood pressure was so high they were very worried I would stroke/seize so at first I had to sit through every other contraction without pushing. That didn’t last long because I became very impatient. I couldn’t feel myself push. No clue how I did it other than listening to husband telling me to keep going that I was doing great. I’m pretty sure after every contraction/push I commented how it sucks nothing is happening. They let me believe it so I would keep going at that rate or even harder. Sneaky bastards!!

Congratulations! That sounds like a crazy stressful experience, but I'm glad you're both okay. Isn't it amazing how quickly bodies recover once the baby is out? All those awful pregnancy symptoms just... gone. Poof.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I hope things went well today. It’s very difficult to not have anything you can do, just having to wait and see.

Koivunen posted:

I’m 14 weeks today and back to having no symptoms besides the sore boobs and not being able to zip my jeans any more.

Yeah, I’m in week 13 and the lull in symptoms is messing with me pretty bad. I’m trying to stay positive, but I have to echo the feeling of waiting for the other shoe to drop. My partner is getting all excited after last week’s ultrasound and I feel kind of bad about not echoing it as much, but at least he’s understanding of why I’m at where I’m at.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I found an at home Doppler to be really helpful in the lull between constant puke sensation and feeling movement. I had anterior placentas for #2 and #3 so movement wasn’t consistent for a really long time. Research seemed to think it wouldn’t cause the kid to grow two heads and it was maybe one minute every few days.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Thanks everyone!! It was good news. Measuring 8w1d, heartbeat 166BPM, and has all of its limb buds. I’m super relieved and very grateful for everyone who responded.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Oh awesome!!! That’s a perfect heart rate! Glad everything went well, hopefully you can breathe a little. By nine weeks all the major body systems are in place and it’s time to start growing.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

A Game of Chess posted:

Thanks everyone!! It was good news. Measuring 8w1d, heartbeat 166BPM, and has all of its limb buds. I’m super relieved and very grateful for everyone who responded.

I'm so glad to hear it!! I am 10 weeks today and was petrified to go to our dating scan last week but it was similarly fine. Still worried there will be no HB on the nuchal scan in a few weeks. Not sure the fear will ever go away entirely.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Glad yours went well too! And... Right? Part of me is thinking it’s not going to go away until the kid is born and then I’m going to end up worrying about everything after it. I’m ... maybe starting to understand my mom’s crazy anxiety? :ohdear:

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

You can get help for anxiety. There are lots of treatments that are effective snd you doctor can help you find one.

Seriously you don't have to go through life with a higher than typical level of anxiety about things. There are options!

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
I know, I’ve done therapy etc. I didn’t mean it’s debilitating, I meant that I’m starting to understand why my mom was always so worried about me in a way that I didn’t entirely understand before going through this experience myself.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Just wait and see if you end up GBS positive!

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Alterian posted:

Why?? I’ve been positive for both pregnancies and I thought it just meant some antibiotic IVs and was nbd. Should I be freaking out more?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

No, no need to freak. If you are GBS positive it's just antibiotics during labor.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Alterian posted:

I had my swab done last Thursday. Then ended up being induced from the high blood pressure, and that was too early to get results back. A new IV bag of penicillin every 4 hours was really lovely. The IV was placed really well but still infiltrated.

The lab just called me yesterday to let me know the results of the swab were negative. Better safe than sorry, but one of the worst parts of waiting for dilation was every time they started a new bag.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Yea the worst part of labor last time was that the nurse infiltrated my vein with the IV, and since I had never had an IV before I didn’t know for a few hours. Wasted time not getting pitocin in my system and had a super swollen arm.

My water also broke before the GBS results came back, I waited 12+ hours before going to the hospital which was a pretty dumb decision in hindsight. Luckily all turned out fine.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm allergic to Penicillin & Azithromycin. They had to give me some crazy antibiotic.

I mistakenly googled about GBS and how even with antibiotics there's still a risk and how there's even something called late onset gbs that babies can get.

Edit: I get that its still a small percentage, but when you go through a miscarriage at week that's ALSO suppose to be a small percentage, sometimes you get paranoid.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sheri posted:

No, no need to freak. If you are GBS positive it's just antibiotics during labor.

GBS posting however, is a terminal condition.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Woo, 40 weeks today. Mostly lurked this whole time since I've had a thankfully boring pregnancy despite the gigantic fibroid.

And while I'm looking forward to getting my body back, losing all this swelling and being able to cast a stand without effort spell, there are a few good things that have come with pregnancy that I'm wondering if anyone knows how to keep going.

First, my periodic acne was non-existent. Second, my chronic back pain that I've had since high school just went away. And third I have had absolutely zero migraines, which I used to get several times a month.

Are all of these hormonally/baby related or is there something I can keep doing that will sustain the relief? As far as I know I haven't done anything differently during pregnancy that I wasn't doing before. Was taking prenatal vitamins months before getting pregnant and doing special back exercises that barely made a difference. I don't even think I've increased my water intake that much.

Anyone experience similar benefits?

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I also had no acne, amazing hair, and reduced severity of headaches throughout pregnancy... And the acne came back right around the time when the swollen ankles went away. Still haven't had any major headaches though, so that's nice. How much is hormonal versus behavioral probably varies from person to person.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

You can try going on hormonal birth control to get some of those benefits.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Hi_Bears posted:

You can try going on hormonal birth control to get some of those benefits.

Hormonal BC with estrogen is generally contraindicated for migraine sufferers. Had to stick to progesterone only, and I still had acne pretty regularly.

Luckily, my gross cystic acne is still MIA almost 4 months postpartum. I also haven't gotten my period yet, so maybe it's just residual/breastfeeding hormones, but I'm hoping the pregnancy was a permanent fix. Hey, it can happen. I've been told pregnancy can also be a permanent fix for migraines, so fingers crossed for you.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
We had a 3D ultrasound of our 30ish week old baby. It was really awesome :-D The tech had me talk to the Baby and "play" with the Baby and I got to see everything on footage. It was amazing watching him react in real time to the sound of my voice.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
You ladies are so lucky. Acne, thinning hair, and headaches have been my new pregnancy symptoms. I thought I’d feel cute and have a gorgeous pregnancy glow but instead I feel like a swamp monster.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Echoing what previous posters said, for many women acne and migraines are affected by (or driven by) hormones. Maybe this pregnancy will disrupt what you had going on before- I’ve got my fingers crossed too, because if I could not have a chin of big ol zits and a migraine almost every period after this, unlike before, that would be great.

I’d be happy to get rid of the new onset asthma-like allergy reactions though, that has been a bummer.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Koivunen posted:

You ladies are so lucky. Acne, thinning hair, and headaches have been my new pregnancy symptoms. I thought I’d feel cute and have a gorgeous pregnancy glow but instead I feel like a swamp monster.

In a similar boat here - skipped the glow entirely, got more spots than normal, thankfully skipped headaches but still get terrible back pain when sleeping that I'm no longer convinced is entirely crash related. Also had my knee swell up for no reason for 6 weeks :iiam:

That said, I'm still stoked to be 37 weeks and I expected my body would be doing weird and somewhat unpleasant things temporarily so its okay. It would be really nice to sleep without back pain though, looking forward to that part going away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!
Pregnancy seems to be the only thing I can put my finger on that's kicked my seasonal hay fever to the curb. Whether that's some sort of immune system modulation going on or what I don't know. I've had maybe two sore throats in the last 2.5 years too, despite being around coughing hacking snotty feverish people on the odd occasion. My prolapses were a non event too from about 15-16 weeks onwards this second time around. Overall I quite enjoy being pregnant, it's awesome for me on the whole even if there's an odd ache or pain or being slow and heavy. I love it.

Breastfeeding can suck a bag of syphilitic dicks though. At 9 weeks post partum I think the feeding has ramped up enough now to knock my downstairs into full blown menopause status :smithicide: It's made me really, really hate lactivists- if we have a third I'm tempted to go the bottle route from the get go just from the mess it's been from kid #1.