Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Embrace change :argh:

I do think the ghosts look cool, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
:chloe:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'm willing to embrace change such as adding Vampirates or Not-China, but don't ever talk to me or my.son about Age of Sigmar again.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

This is a really dumb post. Cathay as it is now is a blank slate and CA has thousands of years of myth, literature and actual loving history to draw upon if they decide to add it. They can easily make it recognizably Chinese while also letting it be it's own thing. Warhammer isn't some inimitable work of art, it's a collection of lore thrown together by British nerds to sell overpriced resin army men.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Hey, Total War is the last chance to expand the lore and setting of the old Warhammer Fantasy setting. Might as well encourage them to make something new and cool for 3.

There's so few big factions left CA's going to have to do something like that if they want to meet their DLC quota

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Cathay is lame and boring. Add Ind instead, you cowards. :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lt. Lizard posted:

why_not_both.gif

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Late reply to some folks looking for a good campaign walkthrough(s). I've discovered a guy named VulcanHD on youtube who streams Steel Division quite frequently, but also has loads of Warhammer Total War Campaign videos. Very mild tone of voice, about the calmest guy under (vidyagame) pressure I've ever seen. Sexy english accent.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
CA should follow the lead of the board game Chaos in the Old World and make a separate faction for each chaos god.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Lt. Lizard posted:

What's even in Ind? Cathay has terracotta robots, which is at least something.

Impermanent posted:

CA should follow the lead of the board game Chaos in the Old World and make a separate faction for each chaos god.

Wasn't that the plan per the game one development leak?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

I dont know posted:

What's even in Ind? Cathay has terracotta robots, which is at least something.

Civilized beastmen who are a regular part of society including tiger dudes, apparently. Also war elephants.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
It's maddening how WH2 went from playing perfectly to crashing on tabbing out to crashing immediately after start-up in the space of a day for no discernable reason, and I've tried everything short of a fresh Windows install to fix it. Oh well, at least WH1 works fine more or less :sigh:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
god warhammer 1 is so good. I want to buy all the DLC but I'm like one hundred percent sure it'll all be on a discount when the vampire coast dlc comes out.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Impermanent posted:

god warhammer 1 is so good. I want to buy all the DLC but I'm like one hundred percent sure it'll all be on a discount when the vampire coast dlc comes out.

wh1 performance is a lot better than ME. They really need the smaller map and just be okay with it being a crowded chaotic mess, as the gods intended.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

wh1 performance is a lot better than ME. They really need the smaller map and just be okay with it being a crowded chaotic mess, as the gods intended.

eh i don't really care about that to be honest. I've got a beefy gaming PC I just don't want to drop 60+ bux on Warhammer II + all DLC

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

IMO for ME they should have just added all the legendary lords as seperate factions then maybe one jobber redshirt faction for each of them to beat up at the start. Make each faction start with more territory if it makes sense.

The real issue was them just making it incredibly huge and having more factions than ever before, thats actually not a great thing for a total war game unless you have some optimisation magic which they didnt. Having some rando factions to beat up is fun but not when it means there are like 70 minor factions you'll never encounter but whose turns you need to wait for.

Though after reading people's responses in this thread it seems that some people like the huge map and can tolerate having to spend most of your playtime hoovering or alphabetising your liquor cabinet or whatever while the game scrolls through 100+ factions you won't see and then you finally stop hoovering to come back and hit End Turn again cause its 3 more turns til you can recruit chaos warriors.
Since I can't see CA making 3 campaigns for WH3 (Small, vortex style campaign; ME huge slow terrible campaign; streamlined good ME campaign) we're probably just gonna get one or the other and I'd put my money on an even slower, worse ME with 200 factions and 5 minute turn times.
At least the grognards will enjoy it but since I don't have any grace or class I 'ope you lot choke on it!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, ME was originally gonna involve a fairly truncated list of factions, but people wanted it all, so there you go. :shrug:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

With Warhammer in particular I feel like the minor factions don’t really need to be generic things just there to be punching bags for great powers. Surely they all have aome sort of lore and unique things behind them, or at least most. So I like them in there so that either mods can mess with that stuff or, hopefully, CA can gradually expand on them.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This series could most use rome and attila style campaign scenarios, but unfortunately they seem to be out of scope as it moves onto the backburner. ME is basically unplayable, and my rig is no slouch

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I think in ME, you could mostly get rid of the punching bag mini-factions just to let the map be a more reasonable size.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah I'm willing for there to be 2 ME style campaigns, one that is a playable videogame with ~70 factions and the other with 160 factions that is more like a play-by-post turn based thing where you go to the shops between turns. That way nobody is unhappy.

I just think its more likely they won't sort it out and we'll get another ME with huge turn times and a thousand factions you never see. For all the advances made in WH1 and WH2 over other TW games a lot of the decisions made in WH2 show that CA doesn't have a good handle on the basics of what make these games good. Which sorta makes sense, CA has always seemed like a company that has brief periods of lucidity before just randomly stabbing at mechanical/gameplay concepts and designs in the dark.

Off the top of my head, having The Most Factions Ever! in ME, having to turn off 12 different camera optiuons every single game instead of just clicking "skip ai moves" once after install, having to turn off all the "don't end turns if your province buffing hero hasn't moved" each game. Those are all things any TW player could have told them immediately were steps backwards.

The size of the ME map is fine, its just the turn times, if it takes even only a minute for a turn to end then asking you to spend 5 turns walking to a settlement you want to attack is actually really quite bad for a real game, rather than a mod or early access thing.

e: fwiw i think the faction design is stornger than ever and all the teams are fun to play, when i say CA doesn't seem to know what its doing I'm talking only about the campaign layer really. (And maybe balance)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I cant wait for the huge map with everyone, its gonna own. A small map (albion???) With everyone in more of a knife fight would be cool too. Araby would be cool, so would CNI and TEB. I would like more warhams give them to me, is my central thesis

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I have honestly never had an issue with the turn times in ME. I mean, they're not instant, but at least for me they're also not endless where I feel like I need to have Netflix going or something.

Gimme a bigger map in WH3. Go nuts. Throw Cathay and Ind in there. Let us sail right around the world. Settra needs to rule the entire God drat world.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

The Chad Jihad posted:

A small map (albion???) With everyone in more of a knife fight would be cool too.

A Dark Shadows (Albion) campaign would be great.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Anno posted:

Just add in the good parts of Age of Sigmar instead, like the ghosty boys.

Already done because there AREN'T ANY

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Why would they add Bretonnia when it is just like a bunch of peasant militias and nobles on horses that doesn't amount to anything more than a rip-off of the twelve peers of Charlesmagne.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

Already done because there AREN'T ANY

What about the bloodbound bloodblade bloodsecrators?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Nighthaunt is cool since it’s an army of dead sinners being punished ironically for their crimes. “Oh you liked to hunt people for sport? Well I’ll just merge your soul with your horse and make you tirelessly chase after your target at 2 miles an hour.” Or “Oh, you lived your life carefully scheming and plotting betrayal? How about I take your sight and you spend the rest of your existence in a blind violent rage?”

And the main bulk of the force is made of souls who refused to make a stand, either for good or for evil, in life and so must now stand in death.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 25, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
A lot of those ghost models actually are cool and all, but also a little one-note. Which kind of describes a lot of AOS armies. Fantasy armies are a lot more diverse, with the VC being made of wraiths, skellingtons, monsters, etc.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ThingOne posted:

This is a really dumb post. Cathay as it is now is a blank slate and CA has thousands of years of myth, literature and actual loving history to draw upon if they decide to add it. They can easily make it recognizably Chinese while also letting it be it's own thing. Warhammer isn't some inimitable work of art, it's a collection of lore thrown together by British nerds to sell overpriced resin army men.

Yeah I don't give a poo poo about Warhammer's sacred and immutable lore, but why do that? The whole conceit of this game is "make all your favourite dumb warhammer dudes duke it out." If you want to just make mythological fantasy China, why not do it as a "romance mode double plus" addon to 3 Kingdoms, or in an Age of Mythology-style TW where Thor can chuck lightning bolts at golems? (which would own bc as a jew I really want to see an age of mythology take on ancient Israel and have non-euclidean angels suplexing romans.)

Warhammer is dumb and malleable, but it exists as its own thing. If I'm getting a fully-fledged CA mythology take on something I'd want it in its own game.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Because I want my wuxia stuff to fight orcs

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'd like Cathay, but I'd like some sort of "twist" to it, rather than just Chinese mythology. It's Warhammer, so there's gotta be some sort of grimdarkness!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mordja posted:

I'd like Cathay, but I'd like some sort of "twist" to it, rather than just Chinese mythology. It's Warhammer, so there's gotta be some sort of grimdarkness!

Warhammer Fantasy isn't really grimdark aside from the designated evil factions. The Empire, Bretonnia, dwarfs, wood elves, high elves, Kislev, lizardmen, and Tomb Kings all have problems and faults to be sure, but they're also all basically trying to do the right thing by their lights.

In the RPG books, Bretonnia and the Empire both are starting to have issues with people realizing that feudalism is kinda bullshit and the common folk deserve to have a say in their government, while one of the main goddesses of the Empire has in the new edition declared she's a-okay with homosexuality and over in Bretonnia it's not unknown for Grail Knights to turn into Robin Hood to try to fix Bretonnian society from without.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fangz posted:

Because I want my wuxia stuff to fight orcs
This is correct opinion.
Warhammer is about cool armies fighting each other. You have a human empire based of the renaissance era with a heavy sprinkling of steampunk & fantasy going up against zombie hordes lead by vampires, cockney speaking greenskins, BDSM elves, etc, etc. Adding a cool army based of Chinese myths and having them fight against other cool armies in a match up that makes no logical sense, is Warhammer as gently caress (this coincidentally is also why CA should add Amazons).

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 25, 2018

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah I don't give a poo poo about Warhammer's sacred and immutable lore, but why do that? The whole conceit of this game is "make all your favourite dumb warhammer dudes duke it out." If you want to just make mythological fantasy China, why not do it as a "romance mode double plus" addon to 3 Kingdoms, or in an Age of Mythology-style TW where Thor can chuck lightning bolts at golems? (which would own bc as a jew I really want to see an age of mythology take on ancient Israel and have non-euclidean angels suplexing romans.)

Warhammer is dumb and malleable, but it exists as its own thing. If I'm getting a fully-fledged CA mythology take on something I'd want it in its own game.

why not?

more fun armies to play and fight against, also given what we're seeing from vampire coast CA are better at adding new units and factions to WH than GW are at the moment.
Cathay and Ind etc have always been in the lore so its not like it ruins the setting or anything to flesh them out

e: though poo poo, your thing about an age of mythology TW would just end up being Total War: Dominions which I would pretty much drop-kick total-warhammer into a bin to get instead and I painted my first clanrat at like age 7

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It is a dumb argument bc I'd almost certainly buy the Cathay DLC and trust CA to make it fun, so in the end I should shut up.

I just lost an internet argument :(

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You're actually a huge baller for admitting it, tho

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Total Warhammer's pretty much become one of my "forever games" along with the like of STALKER and Doom mods. I'll keep playing it as long as they keep making it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It is a dumb argument bc I'd almost certainly buy the Cathay DLC and trust CA to make it fun, so in the end I should shut up.

no friend

we all won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No No No! You're supposed to double down until somebody gets probated! :argh: