Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The funniest thing to ever happen in CineD was the goon claiming to turn Ghost Rider into an MST3K riff fest.

CPL593H posted:

Just a reminder that the name "DNS" was a reference to Quentin Tarantino's famously cringey line in Pulp Fiction. And when we still had that IRC channel I popped in once and he immediately called me a human being and an autistic pussy. He was easily in the top three worst posters to come out of here.

I didn’t know any of this, I retract my earlier statement.

CPL593H posted:

Wasn't DNS the same person who taunted another poster about being a rape victim? In fact, wasn't that the reason he got permabanned in the first place?

Happy Fun Bollocks said he was sympathetic towards another poster’s rapist, which caused that poster to quit.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Or the uh

The guy advertising his movie

Tony Tango!

CPL593H posted:

Yes! That whole saga was my favorite thing that happened here. It was just so weird. His user name here and I think also youtube account was "Legendary Badass". I remember him getting mod challenged and then banned I think but I forget why. I think he had to review something and not be a total goofy weirdo about it.

He had to give a sincere review of his favorite movie, and basically just said “terminator 2 is so cool” and didn’t tackle any themes or ideas, just “cool special effects and acting.”

Timby posted:

That was SubG (I miss that av). He still posts regularly in Goons With Spoons, but Vargo gave him poo poo about posting the year of the movie and told him to stop, and people gave him poo poo about the weird quotation marks he uses, so he just stopped posting here.

His takedowns of Star Trek: The Next Generation were legendary.

He got mod challenged over the years thing, even.

bushisms.txt posted:

Not gonna get to in to it too deep, but a suggestion to seek therapy shouldn't be seen as some kind of slam, especially in the context given, and especially in this open community. I go to therapy every Wednesday if I can afford it and it's the best thing I've ever done for my mental health. Getting new meds next week.

Therapy is cool and good and has helped me realize where I am in life and how I got here and what I can do to change things. Too bad I’m not so great on that last part, oh well.

therattle posted:

Yeah, I went to a screening of Widows last week and loved it. It’s an unusual but successful hybrid between an art house and a heist film. Terrific performances and stunning cinematography too.

I love a good heist film, hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The funniest thing to ever happen in CineD was the goon claiming to turn Ghost Rider into an MST3K riff fest.

I have seen the opposite where a MST3K riff fest turns into Ghost Rider and drives off into the night.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Therapy is cool and good and has helped me realize where I am in life and how I got here and what I can do to change things. Too bad I’m not so great on that last part, oh well.

I think I've said this before, but everyone should get therapy at some point (yes, I know it's an impractical idea). At some point or another, poo poo sucks, and talking through it with a professional can help more than one could imagine.

As for your second part ... the serenity prayer helps a lot with that: "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." It's kind of in the "there but for the grace of God go I" vein, but even for an intensely non-religious person like myself, it's a powerful message to keep in the head, basically a reminder that I'm not king poo poo of the mountain.

Edit:

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Nah, SALT CURES HAM going to New Orleans to visit his poly girlfriend, getting drunk and passing out while she hosed another guy in another room, then getting locked in a crack house (followed by a subsequent meltdown in E/N because of his parents or some poo poo) will always be the best.

"The lock does nothing without a key."

Timby fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 25, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Therapy is so good I do it 20 times a week, get on my level nerds

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The thing is, I know what I have to/should change, but I forget or put things off or straight up just don’t do it for whatever reason. Even if it’s something I know will go in my favor, I still don’t want to do it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The thing is, I know what I have to/should change, but I forget or put things off or straight up just don’t do it for whatever reason. Even if it’s something I know will go in my favor, I still don’t want to do it.

One of the reasons I don't do them is the overwhelming feeling of pointlessness because I know I'll just have to do them again later on. That goes from taking out the garbage to learning stuff, because poo poo sucks and poo poo also never ends. You just keep on rolling that stone back up that hill.

It's what being a mod must feel like.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

axelblaze posted:

His original point wasn't so much about the topic of what he was talking about but more that the response and often the response to his Snyder posts was a group of people that don't even usually post showed up out of no where to hammer the same point into him over and over again and the response to the post was for a bunch of people that don't usually post to show up and hammer the same point into him over and over.

There’s no secret cabal of Snyder fans that only comes out of the woodwork when somebody says something bad about his movies. The only reason the same defenses are being made again and again are because the same criticisms are being made again and again, so when CP posts for the fiftieth time that he doesn’t like Snyder Superman because those movies make him sad and movies are supposed to be escapist fantasies, then the same defenses are gonna come up too.

I should note that I don’t even think it’s a huge problem that the discussion gets cyclical - we’re all nerds wasting our time on the internet, here. What I do think is an issue is when someone says that the “biggest problem with the forum right now” is a group of people who like different movies than you and not the fact that we just went through a period where female and/or LGBTQ members of the subforum have admitted they don’t feel comfortable posting here anymore.

Escobarbarian posted:

is this a joke

No? Snyder does not get talked about that often aside from the thread about the movie he worked on and whenever whatever this week’s ricdesi is bumbles into the comic book thread all “so I heard you FUCKIN’ IDIOTS liked MAN OF STEEL”

Even then, it’s worth noting that the comic book movie is four months older than the Star Wars thread and is still significantly shorter. It’s not like CineD goons are only nerdy about one thing.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 25, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Sounds like an impairment in executive functioning, make sure you rule out ADHD

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

What I do think is an issue is when someone says that the “biggest problem with the forum right now” is a group of people who like different movies than you and not the fact that we just went through a period where female and/or LGBTQ members of the subforum have admitted they don’t feel comfortable posting here anymore.

Wait, what's this all about?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Pirate Jet posted:

I should note that I don’t even think it’s a huge problem that the discussion gets cyclical - we’re all nerds wasting our time on the internet, here. What I do think is an issue is when someone says that the “biggest problem with the forum right now” is a group of people who like different movies than you and not the fact that we just went through a period where female and/or LGBTQ members of the subforum have admitted they don’t feel comfortable posting here anymore.

What I find irritating in this regard is the "hivemind" accusation because from what I've seen it's basically just posters reacting to and supporting each others arguments. In the better parts of the Star Wars and Snyder-adjacent threads they might appear to have similar arguments because they take up each others ideas and elaborate or develop them, like any good discussion should do. On the other side you get a dozen driveby shitposts by people you would still never accuse of being part of a hive mind because you'd never associate them with the word "mind".

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Guy A. Person posted:

His original point was that a bunch of us should be banned for being a terrible Snyder hivemind who gangs up on him. Like he didn't outright call for a ban but he said we were "the single biggest issue with CD" and a "hive mind" and that our behavior was "creepy" and he just wanted any potential new mod to know this. Then Skwirl said "the new mod should ban those fuckers" and someone else suggested closing down the comic book movie thread entirely.

As evidence of our creepiness he linked an incident where me and two other posters asked if he was okay after he posted that his life was miserable, and one of us (McCloud) tactfully changed the subject basically immediately when he got annoyed. This incident had nothing to do with Snyder, and I mean literally it was during a conversation that had nothing to do with him.

I don't think it's all that odd for people to show up and defend themselves. It was honestly kind of a gut punch wandering in here and seeing an incident where I was genuinely trying to be nice dredged up and mischaracterized so badly and for another guy to call for my banning.

I saw that whole thing, and while I think Megaman's Jockstrap came off as a bit too patronizing, you and McCloud seemed genuine. It's wild that you're considered the issue when CP was the one with a bizarre-rear end take that I frankly find completely antithetical to this subforum's purpose.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sounds like an impairment in executive functioning, make sure you rule out ADHD

Funny thing, I first started going to counseling over ADHD issues, but it’s not something we’ve talked about for awhile and have been focusing on personal and familial relationships, because all of those are strained and I go long periods without talking to friends or family.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Equeen posted:

I saw that whole thing, and while I think Megaman's Jockstrap came off as a bit too patronizing, you and McCloud seemed genuine. It's wild that you're considered the issue when CP was the one with a bizarre-rear end take that I frankly find completely antithetical to this subforum's purpose.

The purpose of this subforum is to talk about movies. he was talking about movies. What the gently caress?

You people can't be this unselfaware. Like I know there isn't actually a hivemind and all that poo poo but you really are just playing out the thing he said was happening to a it's starting to get weird level and you all just keep doing it, continually driving in the same point again and again until you have the last word in the conversation

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McCloud posted:

Wait, what's this all about?

We lost Jenny Angel and several other posters because they felt the forum had become too hostile to women and LGBTQ people. Hell, even Dickeye took a break from here because she was tired of some poo poo.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

axelblaze posted:

You people can't be this unselfaware. Like I know there isn't actually a hivemind and all that poo poo but you really are just playing out the thing he said was happening to a it's starting to get weird level and you all just keep doing it, continually driving in the same point again and again until you have the last word in the conversation

Isn't that what you're doing?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

We lost Jenny Angel and several other posters because they felt the forum had become too hostile to women and LGBTQ people. Hell, even Dickeye took a break from here because she was tired of some poo poo.

And it caused a lot of fights because the posters who left were never specific, it was just this kind of “well, if you don’t know, I guess there’s no hope for you” thing that wasn’t helpful to anyone

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Isn't that what you're doing?

I'm more trying to cut off what at this point is the 16th hour of people explaining to CP why he's wrong for saying it feels like people gang up on him but that didn't work as it never works so point taken I'll move on.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

axelblaze posted:

The purpose of this subforum is to talk about movies. he was talking about movies. What the gently caress?

Again friend, it's true that I don't post in here but I literally came in here to defend myself because he posted a link and then posters were calling on me to be banned. I'm harping on the point that I shouldn't be banned because uhhhh I don't think I should be banned? He wasn't talking about movies when he said some posters were the worst part of CD, he was talking about posters he has a grudge with.

The original incident was not during a conversation about Snyder, he lumped it in with that because he thinks there's a conspiracy of people who are ganging up on him because we disagree with him about Snyder DC movies. He posted that we were the worst part of CD and he just wanted the new mod to know this, this sounds like he wants the new mod to keep an eye out for this behavior. A bunch of people who probably don't want to be punished for no reason are coming in here to defend themselves.

Like I get what you're saying but it's a self fulfilling prophecy: "here's a bunch of posters who suck and always gang up on me" is kind of a direct invitation for those posters to "gang up on him" by saying their side of the story.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Escobarbarian posted:

And it caused a lot of fights because the posters who left were never specific, it was just this kind of “well, if you don’t know, I guess there’s no hope for you” thing that wasn’t helpful to anyone

Well, if you hadn't been here for a while, you wouldn't have noticed that those people were gone. That horrific Gone Girl review by the Current Releases crew really, really, really didn't help matters and there's a reason pretty much everyone involved with that group retreated, because they were justifiably taken to the woodshed over it, for example.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Funny thing, I first started going to counseling over ADHD issues, but it’s not something we’ve talked about for awhile and have been focusing on personal and familial relationships, because all of those are strained and I go long periods without talking to friends or family.

Well it's reassuring that my intuition is on point :toot:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, that reminds me of keanugrieves/jeremy oval office, who was the one that actually wrote that review. I overall really liked him, as a reviewer and a person, but I do agree that Gone Girl was...not great.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Escobarbarian posted:

The idea was to prompt a little introspection

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Friends Are Evil posted:

Saw Widows at the Smithsonian African-American Film Festival. It's maybe the only Steve McQueen film that comes anywhere close to crowd-pleasing (if my crowd was anything to go by, at least) and it's weird to say that? Film's pretty good and it still feels like McQueen.

If Beale Street Could Talk is also playing the fest with Barry Jenkins in attendance, but it sold out long before I heard about the festival.

I hope Smithsonian keeps doing this thing next year.

Pretty good? Uh oh.

axelblaze posted:

Man, that reminds me of keanugrieves/jeremy oval office, who was the one that actually wrote that review. I overall really liked him, as a reviewer and a person, but I do agree that Gone Girl was...not great.

It's Fincher's best film.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well it's reassuring that my intuition is on point :toot:

I did some quick googling and felt pretty attacked, so you’re probably on to something :respek:

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The idea was to prompt a little introspection

And then you and Shoombo also posted specific grievances that laid bare what Jenny Angel wanted us all to think about. It did get specific.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It’s great, but better than Zodiac? Man.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I did some quick googling and felt pretty attacked, so you’re probably on to something :respek:

And then you and Shoombo also posted specific grievances that laid bare what Jenny Angel wanted us all to think about. It did get specific.

Yeah my poo poo came hot on the heels of ruddiger doing a my minority friend at me over a fairly reasonable grievance. It's hard for me to buy that people didn't know what I was mad about

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Pretty good? Uh oh.

Sorry I meant keanu's Gone Girl review was not great. I think the movie is great (though I probably wouldn't rank it higher than Zodiac, Se7en and The Social Network)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s great, but better than Zodiac? Man.

I do love Zodiac.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm a big advocate for The Game, but I don't think he's made a better film than Zodiac.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It’s stunning that The Game gets overlooked, because it’s just as well-made as Se7en and Fight Club.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If this happened I missed it

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It’s stunning that The Game gets overlooked, because it’s just as well-made as Se7en and Fight Club.

That just means they're not losing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I don't talk about movies in terms of liking or disliking them

actually, dude? you do. a lot. like, it's literally about 75% of your posts in this subforum.

it's just that you don't frame it as liking or disliking. you frame it as the objective reality of a film's quality. this is why you're completely obnoxious and nobody likes you.

e: seriously I don't think you get to say this when your entire gimmick is drive-by threadshitting going "THAT'S DUMB YOU MORON" at people for enjoying things

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 25, 2018

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

R. Dieovich posted:

i wonder what the solar flare of goon rage would look like if i modded botl

I’d start an inept insurrection

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also, i'm seriously pretty sure if BotL got modded, a large chunk of the mod team would just straight up immediately quit in protest. most of this website hates that fucker, from what i've seen, not just CineD

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Escobarbarian posted:

If this happened I missed it

I walked out on the heels of an argument about minority representation where ruddiger did an "actually I understand queer representation better than you, a GENDER UNDEFINED SEXUALITY UNDEFINED poster, because I work with a trans"

So

You tell me

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it's just that you don't frame it as liking or disliking. you frame it as the objective reality of a film's quality. this is why you're completely obnoxious and nobody likes you.

Hardly.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Shut the gently caress up

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t want you to be banned, I just want a less hostile thread/section/ about stupid comic book movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also you guys have a discord don’t you

• Locked thread