Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kibayasu posted:

Every man on the planet could use one.

Imagine if every man on the planet did it simultaneously. We'd charge the entire silicate crust of the Earth with jo energy.

Edit: lol what a dreadful snipe.

I'm sitting in the office building at my work right now waiting for some lightning to pass over so I can get out to the core yard and do some sampling. For some funny reason they don't like us going outside when you can count the number of seconds between flash and boom on one hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You don't want to risk it, you shouldn't smoke in a gas station under any circumstances, and the guy wasn't unjustified in using the fire extinguisher, but it's extremely unlikely smoking in a gas station actually sets off a fire/explosion.
Unfortunately 'Gas' stations also store and supply other flammable products like propane or even dispense LPG at the bowser. There have actually been incidences of bowser fires being started with a cigarette. Why be a jack rear end when the consequences can be so serious?

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/u-s-world/gas-pump-explosion-sparked-by-cigarette/1096265178

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

azurite posted:

That house looks jacked up!
That's a good way to gently caress up your jack!
I'll see myself out.

That's a good way to jack up your shack.

ButtTheShitmanFart
Apr 18, 2018

The worst that is, the worst that was, and the worst that ever will be.

I found this at work today. Apparently the ladder wasn't tall enough.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Reminds me, I’m all out of cheese

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Ak Gara posted:

I feel like there should be someone beating a drum so everyone lifts it at the same time, by the same amount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shqaQopEmhY&hd=1

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

ButtTheShitmanFart posted:

JFC. Milk crates? Really?

Come on...

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Oh god that drunk cop just got home

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Cartoon posted:

Unfortunately 'Gas' stations also store and supply other flammable products like propane or even dispense LPG at the bowser. There have actually been incidences of bowser fires being started with a cigarette. Why be a jack rear end when the consequences can be so serious?

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/u-s-world/gas-pump-explosion-sparked-by-cigarette/1096265178

There was a Sinclair station at the intersection in my hometown that was referred to as Malfunction Junction, because 5 roads came into one confluence that made little to no sense. About every 3-5 years from my childhood to my mid-teens, the propane tank at that Sinclair station would explode for some reason. It was usually someone smoking while they pumped propane, but sometimes it was something freakish like a bad gasket. Eventually, the owners sold the business, and now it's...an art gallery? I think?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Why is there a pallet in that designated no pallet zone?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

KoRMaK posted:

Why is there a pallet in that designated no pallet zone?

Somehow I get the impression that the health and safety of the people occupied at that workplace isn't a priority.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's all being done right in front of a camera though, so we may still see hilarious footage.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cartoon posted:

No fire flowers beyond this point

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

We all know tie down straps are bomber, I'm more worried about a rock just rolling off over the edge.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Splicer posted:

This is like watching quadriplegics argue about climbing Everest.
:kiss:

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1055289997190868992/pu/vid/480x360/MEhU01UZwN5k0j0L.mp4?tag=5

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

isn't this a well done fake?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tashilicious posted:

Yeah it is. It's been posted a couple times before I think.

It's still kinda neat.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The obviously CG boxes kind of give it away

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Every day, dozens of stuntmen have to act against tennis balls on a stick and green screens.
Please donate to "Stuntmen against virtual cardboard boxes" today.

Their mental health depends on it.

Tashilicious posted:

If you mean 90s well done, then yes.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurking Haro posted:

If you mean 90s well done, then yes.

If you weren't going into it expecting a fake it might look okay the first time.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Cartoon posted:

Unfortunately 'Gas' stations also store and supply other flammable products like propane or even dispense LPG at the bowser. There have actually been incidences of bowser fires being started with a cigarette.

You'd think Bowser would be used to fire by now.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Those folks need a unified jacking system.

think of the crystals

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
https://i.imgur.com/nxKhG2F.mp4

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Those folks need a unified jacking system.

A busy box for adults?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The camera guy seems to be plenty safely tied there.

Now show me how the person filming him is secured!?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nenonen posted:

probably in the drivers seat holding a cellphone over their shoulder

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Dude is one unexpected swerve away from bouncing his skull off the metal sides of the truck bed.

They way I've seen lead truck filming before is a bucket seat bolted down with a 5 point harness. Also a helmet. And the camera rig is usually an articulated mount attached to the bed as well.

schmug
May 20, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

https://i.imgur.com/q6MX1lq.mp4
Oh god that drunk cop just got home

im all the missing mortar between the bricks.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

This is so stupid, they could have saved a lot of effort by putting just one crate on top of the ladder.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
Spotted this at my local petrol station:

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Sorry for the delay for those interested.  I was writing about how driver Michael Hodder managed to pass the supremely dodgy SN109 signal at danger, taking his train into the path of an oncoming HST travelling nearly 100mph at Ladbroke Grove. I wrote about how SN109 was a real hotspot signal, and I think people get why it had been passed so many times after seeing the photos.  The other issue is Hodder himself.

Michael Hodder had not been a driver with Thames Trains for long. He had started with the company in February 1999. These days it takes about a year to go from being new to driving by yourself.  For him to have finished training in time to have this accident in October is very quick indeed. He qualified in September of that year, and drove a total of 20 times out of Paddington prior to this accident.  On 19 of those times he hadn’t gone out on line 3, the line with SN109 on it. On the only occasion he had gone on line 3 SN109 had been green. He had never had to brake it at prior to the incident. When he, you know… didn’t.

A key component of driver training is route learning.  After you’ve done classroom based rules learning, practical fault finding/fixing training, and manual handling with a DI you have to do several months learning all the lines you will drive over.  You don’t need to know signal numbers necessarily, but you need to know locations and potential routings you could be given by the signaller. This is really important in complex areas like Paddington.

In addition to the main signal aspect telling the driver whether they can proceed or not lots of signals will have indicators to tell the driver how the route is set ahead of them.  These can either be a box with a letter or number illuminated, or it can be “junction indicator” – a series of white lights in a line off to one side of the signal. In theory a “main aspect” with no junction indicator means you’re continuing straight on. A junction indicator off to the top right of the signal means you’re taking the first route off to the right.  The second off to the right means the second route, and so on. In practice there is little consistency here. Where two lines split which one counts as “straight on”? The control measure here is that drivers have to learn what signals and what routings lead to where. Here’s an example of a signal with some junction indicators.

http://imgur.com/gallery/aotGKtt

This may not seem like a safety issue at first but the crucial bit that makes it one is that you have to identify where your next signal will be.  “If I’m going onto the mainline the next signal is just past the curve to the right, before the station” or “If I’m going over to the relief line the next signal is the one on the end of platform 4 at East Croydon” or whatever.  That is no mean feat in locations like Paddington. 6 lines. All bi-directional. The whole idea is that you can go from line to line in a number of locations so that they can keep the service moving and get as many trains in and out of Paddington as possible.

Here, for example, is a section of line on approach to another London terminal.  11 lines. Mostly bi-directional.

http://imgur.com/gallery/izE9bM7

If you pass signal TL2028 on the far right of the screen on 8 road and the junction indicator is lit where is your next signal? (Answer TL4118 on 9 road).  If you are going to be driving on that route you have to demonstrate you know that.

It might seem a simple case of mantra-like rote learning stuff.  That is neither helpful nor feasible. You need to understand where everything is and where you are in relation to landmarks or you won’t be able to brake.  That’s different from being able to recite the numbers. Also a study here recently showed train drivers have a reading age of about 13 on average. I’m not meaning that to denigrate them.  I’ve yet to meet a train driver I would consider stupid as such – it’s a fearsomely competitive recruitment process after all. But they aren’t generally people who’ve had a particularly good relationship with traditional classroom education.

Thames Trains training course was in a “transitionary stage” when Hodder was recruited.  There were some notes for trainers but they didn’t appear to be using them as they didn’t like them much.  They didn’t think the time for practical driving training to be sufficient so they had extended that bit. In practice this meant the time for route learning was cut short.  In the end manager after manager for Thames Trains testified that they did not think it was their responsibility to teach Hodder the route and assess him on it. It turned out no one had really done it.  No route maps were provided to trainees. There were assessments, but it was unclear what the criteria for passing or failing were.

Route learning should also include information on known risks.  SN109 with its illustrious SPAD history would certainly have qualified.  But Thames Trains didn’t appear to have issued any kind of warnings to drivers about SN109, or any other MultiSPAD signal. Driver Adams, Hodder’s Driving Instructor for almost all of the practical part of his training, was not aware SN109 had been passed at danger multiple times.  Paddington was a high risk for SPADs and a large majority were by Thames Trains services. Surprise surprise.

Hodder approached SN109 on line 3 after receiving a junction indicator on his previous signal while driving on line 4 – SN87.  Did he know after passing SN87 with a junction indicator that his next signal was SN109? If he didn’t know to look for it at the right moment would he have seen it at all, given the sighting was so poor?  Did he know that there was a signal on that gantry that applied to the line he was on? Or did he misread the signal because of the unorthodox shape and think he had a proceed aspect of some kind? We don’t know for certain obviously, but the investigation concluded that a significant contributory factor was likely to be the fact that it could not be demonstrated that Hodder really knew the line.  Thames could demonstrate he knew the rules. They could demonstrate he knew the train. But they couldn’t demonstrate he knew Paddington.

The biggest outcome of the Ladbroke Grove crash in the area I work in has been the formalisation of route learning processes.  Companies come up with norms for the amount of time and amount of trips over it necessary to learn a route. They do risk assessments on the routes and identify the concrete things a candidate must be able to demonstrate to be considered competent.  This would include speeds, routings, and high risk signals.

The crash also highlighted the risks posed by new drivers, who we now refer to as “PQ” – post qualified.  It takes time to get yourself into the rhythm of train driving. Whilst the old guard have a hell of a lot of bad habits they also generally know when and how to get themselves into a focussed mindset when things get tricky.  That takes time to learn. And even with route learning a new driver is just not going to have all the innate reflexive responses to the signals they see that a more experienced driver would. The experienced lot know the line inside out.

Anyway, that covers why SN109 was passed, and why it was Hodder that passed it.  If anyone is still awake I can write a bit about why after passing the signal the route was set into the path of another train.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Time for everyone's favorite game again: "what's going to gently caress up this time?"

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Boogalo posted:

Time for everyone's favorite game again: "what's going to gently caress up this time?"

What even is that? I can't see it before it starts moving.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spiny posted:

Spotted this at my local petrol station:

that is a safety barrier. Don't you like safety?

wdarkk posted:

What even is that? I can't see it before it starts moving.

There's a pressurized gas tank in the truck bed that falls over

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Bloop posted:

There's a pressurized gas tank in the truck bed that falls over

Shrouds are for wiiiiiiiimps

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

The Bloop posted:

that is a safety barrier. Don't you like safety?

Well, I guess I was on the safer side at the time ...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

These are great, please keep going!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

These are great, please keep going!