Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Sour?

Unsinkabear posted:

Motherfucker, there was a way to get Shadow Ball Mewtwo?!

It was a mistake on someone flipping the switch between Mewtwo and Giratina release and some people coincidentally realized using TMs for a short time had the chance to get Shadow Ball on Mewtwo. Probably because people wanted to turn some of them into Ice Beam Mewtwo in preparation for Giratina because I was doing the same but I think I only started after Niantic corrected themselves.

Dr. Fetus posted:

https://twitter.com/NianticLabs/status/1054569879980924933

Considering what Autism Speaks actually stands for, all I can say is :yikes:

I doubt Niantic's gonna change their plans anyway. I imagine they're just gonna look at the number of replies only and go like "Seems like only slightly more activity than usual on a social media post, guess people are passionate about autism!" without actually reading the content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My friend is working on the Celebi quest. Please add him! Thanks!

1143 3484 4029

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I added myself to the spreadsheet but just in case some people don't check that: 9170 9295 6380

I have over 100 internet randos on my friends list, so holler at me with your username if you want to be placed on my nickname list so I open your gifts first. Otherwise it might take a minute till I get to you.

I work from home and there's no stop here so I don't get many gifts to send out in return, sorry. :ohdear:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yikes, I don’t think I’ve seen a Twitter thread so universally negative as the one about Autism Speaks. Turns out, they’re real loving bad!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

"sour grapes" joke :ssh:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://nianticlabs.com/blog/adventuresync/

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Neat, that means I'll get credit for my thousands of steps per day at work that PoGo doesn't recognize because they're basically in a tiny circle.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
"Adventure Sync can record your walking distances even when Pokémon GO isn’t launched, working in the background to tally your distance, earn Candy, and hatch Eggs!"

About tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

I just wonder if the game being idle with this feature on will burn more battery than being idle without Adventure Sync. Like, if I want to save battery power to the most, would I need to hard quit out of the game once this feature is live? Personally I'm guessing yes because as of now the game reads nothing when it's idle.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Willsun posted:

I just wonder if the game being idle with this feature on will burn more battery than being idle without Adventure Sync. Like, if I want to save battery power to the most, would I need to hard quit out of the game once this feature is live? Personally I'm guessing yes because as of now the game reads nothing when it's idle.

the line you just quoted says the game doesn't need to be running at all. more than likely its just google and apple giving niantic a private api call to their respective fitness apps to poll for steps since last launch.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

So when do we get this overdue miracle feature?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Pomplamoose posted:

It’s not technically a nerf they just gave it the origin form stats at first by mistake.

Similar to how they didn’t technically nerf Lapras, they just waited longer to apply the new stat formula because the first stat change happened during a Lapras event in Japan.

I meant the 9% squish they have given to a few legendaries for balance bs.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This is :krad: and I did not see this coming at all.

Time to download Google Fit I guess?!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
ugh google fit is such a dumpster fire. i mean, i get why no fitbit or garmin but :negative:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Great, another feature I had expected the game to have since the beginning. Better late than never! I hope it also does something with bicycling distance finally, instead of just dismissing it as 'too fast'.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

This is :krad: and I did not see this coming at all.

Time to download Google Fit I guess?!

Yeah, I just downloaded it, but I would have preferred it worked with Samsung Fit, which I already use. I didn't need two different Fit apps.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Interesting. So if I can get this to sync properly, when the weather gets bad and it's too icy to go walking, I can use count steps on a treadmill?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Interesting. So if I can get this to sync properly, when the weather gets bad and it's too icy to go walking, I can use count steps on a treadmill?

A pedometer would be too abusable. They'll likely only use distance tracking.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So I bought go-tchas for my wife and I for Beldum day and they are fuckin boss. I sleep during the day because I work at night and when my wife goes into town she just takes my phone and go-tcha and I end up with tons of mons. Probably gonna go catch ghosts and such later this evening. See if I can get a Giratina.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DizzyBum posted:

A pedometer would be too abusable. They'll likely only use distance tracking.

Yeah I'm curious if it's distance/gps vs footsteps. Because I abuse the gently caress out of distance via driving and then opening the screen five minutes later.

If they keep the 10kph speed limit but it's more accurate, this is going to suck

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I too love my GO-tcha, but because it has to mimic the Go Plus' code it has all the same bullshit connection glitches.

The ability to auto-catch trash without input makes it worth it where my Go Plus was not, though. Obviating the arbitrary redundant grind of stardust on top of candy is money well spent.

Edit: can anyone recommend a clip or keyring attachment for this thing?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I hope Bagon day is next. There's some chatter about it because the official Meltan evolution video showed a trainer with Bagon as the buddy.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I just downloaded Google Fit to try it out before the integration starts working and boy, does Google make it uncomfortably clear that they have a giant pile of data on you and then immediately make you consent to making it even bigger. It also does that uncomfortably inauthentic thing where it tries to talk to you conversationally and man this is pressing every discomfort button.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Plastik posted:

I just downloaded Google Fit to try it out before the integration starts working and boy, does Google make it uncomfortably clear that they have a giant pile of data on you and then immediately make you consent to making it even bigger. It also does that uncomfortably inauthentic thing where it tries to talk to you conversationally and man this is pressing every discomfort button.

Google already knows everything they need to know about you.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Google already knows everything they need to know about you.

Yeah but it gives me lovely goosebumps when they're like "haha here's ur age and weight plz consent to data collection".

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't understand "formes" because I never actually played a real Pokemon game past Heartgold. Are they subspecies of Pokemon like male/female Pikachus or Sneasels? Can a Pokemon change what "forme" it's in like it's a combat stance or I dunno Autobot transformation?

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

I too love my GO-tcha, but because it has to mimic the Go Plus' code it has all the same bullshit connection glitches.

The ability to auto-catch trash without input makes it worth it where my Go Plus was not, though. Obviating the arbitrary redundant grind of stardust on top of candy is money well spent.

I've been using this little guy with a keychain ring instead of the giant string it comes with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07758318L/

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Unsinkabear posted:

I got a Miphee case from Amazon. It's pretty decent and cheap. It's tough to get the gotcha in and out, but I consider that a good thing since it's less likely to fall out. Get one with a keychain or carabiner though- the paracord version sucks rear end and will immediately fall apart, judging from reviews. My wife got the Logity case and is happy with it, though I didn't care for it at all when I checked it out.

Edit: beaten, naturally

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't understand "formes" because I never actually played a real Pokemon game past Heartgold. Are they subspecies of Pokemon like male/female Pikachus or Sneasels? Can a Pokemon change what "forme" it's in like it's a combat stance or I dunno Autobot transformation?

Generally they need to be holding a thing or you need to go to a place to swap formes. Makes the stats and appearance and sometimes type different.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

Formes are alternate states certain Pokémon have when exposed to certain conditions. They can often toggle back and forth so it's not like evolution.

In some confusing localisation "regional forms" are a different thing entirely.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

SuperKlaus posted:

Like others said, forms can be triggered by certain things. Sometimes it can be the area they are in, or items used on them. For example, in gen7 they introduced Oricorio, which has 4 forms that can be changed by using a certain nectar on them:

It has a move called Revelation Dance that will change based on the type that it is.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Fyrbrand posted:

My wife got the Logity case and is happy with it, though I didn't care for it at all when I checked it out.

Uh oh! I ordered the black glitter Logity case before you two responded, because I thought the little silicone nub on the MiPhee could break even if I replaced it with a keychain (and the Logity already came with one). What didn't you like about it?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Turns out if you tried and failed to get shadow ball for your Mewtwo on Tuesday, you can email Niantic and they'll send you raid passes as a consolation prize. I don't have the chutzpah to complain about failing to exploit a bug, but if you do, go for it!

Yeah, I did this and received 3 raid passes. It's their default compensation whenever you lose out on something they can't return. Not gonna get 5 TMs back from 3 raids, but I'll take it.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Unsinkabear posted:

Uh oh! I ordered the black glitter Logity case before you two responded, because I thought the little silicone nub on the MiPhee could break even if I replaced it with a keychain (and the Logity already came with one). What didn't you like about it?

The Logity one is fine, just it's bulkier than the MiPhee. Since I keep mine on my keychain which is in my pocket most of the time, I definitely prefer the smaller MiPhee.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Avalerion posted:

Lemme guess - they blame autism on vaccines? :psyduck:

Nah they're just big fans of beating the tism outta kids.

Like, big fans. Real big fans.

Of course, they phrase it as "therapy".

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
As far as we know then are formes just going to be entirely different Pokemon in this game? Or have there been clues about morphing from forme to forme?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

For future folks, MiPhee actually sells a GO-tcha case that comes with a perfect carabiner, for the same price as the fragile string version: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HNCZ2SJ/

I don't know why this is buried with no reviews and the dumb one is Amazon's Choice.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

As far as we know then are formes just going to be entirely different Pokemon in this game? Or have there been clues about morphing from forme to forme?

Going by Castform, you have to catch it in a form and it stays that way forever in PoGo.

However, they've not stated at all if this is what they're doing with rarer pokemon like legendaries.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think they'll hold off on formes until they run out of generations. Maybe someone's working on it in the background.

I kinda hope they'll put special pokestops in the middle of national/state/county parks to encourage people to take a real hike, although that would be lovely to people with mobility issues like my wife.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Beldum Day was the best thing to happen to POGO since I came back. Now I see a red gym full of 3k CP defenders and crush those fools in a couple minutes for the glory of Team Mystic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

BGrifter posted:

Beldum Day was the best thing to happen to POGO since I came back. Now I see a red gym full of 3k CP defenders and crush those fools in a couple minutes for the glory of Team Mystic!

This, but the opposite.

I had an hour to play on Community Day, so I only got enough candy to evolve and power up two Meteor Mash boys. But they're enough. :getin:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 25, 2018