Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

:yikes:

what a good chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

:yikes:

what a good chapter

Garm? Why I go so far as to say that any chapter is a good chapter that does not contain a panel of Garm. Even if it contains no other characters.

This was a very good chapter.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I like the intestines

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
A nice interlude to underline that Garm is fuckin dumb.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Can't wait to see how Thorfinn avoids fighting next month.

And now we know

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Great chapter but man it really sucks getting 12 pages even though it's a monthly now, I thought when we were getting 20 it was rough

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Great chapter but man it really sucks getting 12 pages even though it's a monthly now, I thought when we were getting 20 it was rough

I'm okay with cool drawings in my cool drawings books. This poo poo was pretty heavy.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I'm okay with cool drawings in my cool drawings books. This poo poo was pretty heavy.

If you are lacking in the :black101: department, you'll always have Kingdom.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/1042517158276808707?s=19

Bride's Story getting digital releases, 1-5 out now and 6-9 at end of October, which goes cleanly to the end of Pariya's story.
Vol 10 (Karluk Goes Camping up to Smith and talas' reunion) still slated for print release November, didn't see a date for digital but presumably will be close to concurrent?

I feel like the art is best appreciated in print on this one, but this is still great for me as I'm trying to keep my library portable right now.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's not that the chapter was bad, it was really great. It's just that it's harder to appreciate month to month when it feels like we've been stuck at this gate with Garm chasing Thorfinn for what seems like half a year because we get about 10 pages a month. It's starting to feel like a slog and less like a climax to me. I'm sure it'll read amazingly when it's all released but that'll be a while.

In the meantime a pal of mine who hasn't read much manga (just Pluto) recently started Vinland as enjoying it a lot. I ended up rereading some chapters last night at random and will probably go with a full reread soon. Found this as a bonus in one volume though lol

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I basically only read this and Berserk so maybe I'm just damaged.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I feel like the art is best appreciated in print on this one, but this is still great for me as I'm trying to keep my library portable right now.
Digital is better for series that really rely on spreads as not having the page broken gives you the full effect. I also agree that print is mostly better for this series but there are a few 2-pagers where the division got on my nerves. Nothing that was a deal breaker from purchasing though.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

I remember seeing that in the old scans, pity it wasn't the actual Shigeru Mizuki

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Reading about the Marcellus guy after the new Ad Astra and drat that guy WAS as much a badass as the manga makes him. Also makes me wonder if we are seeing Archimedes and the siege of Syracuse.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

:swoon: oh my loving god this is amazing :swoon:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter - https://mangadex.org/chapter/469531/1

Smug Thorfinn is Best Thorfinn.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Looking forward to Garm on the Farm!!!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

god drat that smug face i love it

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
this chapter is so exceptional

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Historie also updated

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Pre-emptive so I can quote this later: ha ha ha suck on a bag of dicks, Garm.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Thorfinn is finally speaking in a way Garm can understand :allears:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Smugfinn is good, but goddam afro Thorkell going on a rampage is great :allears:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

About drat time.

Seriously, seeing Thorfinn handle things like this after so long spent with Garm just... sucking?

I needed this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Pacifism crush! Brotherhood with all mankind kick!

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Thorfinn being aggressively pacifist is amazing

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wrong thread

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I love how you can still see that he's... struggling to put on this facade. Like, this is a thing Thorfinn is putting effort into, and it doesn't quite feel right to him.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Billzasilver posted:

Thorfinn being aggressively pacifist is amazing

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Channeling his adoptive papa now, I see.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Historie also updated

Prediction: Miura dies before Berserks ends, spending his time on the more worthwhile pursuit of idol games and writing side mangas about girls pissing on burly men. Historie keeps fading into less and less completed chapters until we are just given doodles on a white page. Vinland Saga goes on to finish and have a successful anime. Kingdom will finish after Quin Shi Huang has killed a million men army on his own after a 10 volume long battle.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To be honest I don't think Garm is really worse than Thorkell; almost all criticism of him also applies to Thorkell. If anything there's the potential for something somewhat interesting with the various hints that he's acting out of some roundabout desire to be killed (rather than a sheer love of fighting/violence like Thorkell).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The difference is that Thorkell represents an ethos. He embodies the violent, tribalistic way of Viking life. He's outlandish, but he exists in a social context.

Garm comes off as just some random weirdo who's not connected or invested in anything.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Thorkell also isn't an rear end in a top hat about it. He wants to fight but if someone keeps trying to run away, he'd just shrug and go off to find some other opponent.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Galvanik posted:

Thorkell also isn't an rear end in a top hat about it. He wants to fight but if someone keeps trying to run away, he'd just shrug and go off to find some other opponent.

And he also acknowledges Thors's whole thing.

It's like, he doesn't get it, it's not for him, but yeah, there's clearly something there, and when a warrior finds it and goes for it over war, that's probably a good call for them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

golden bubble posted:

Kingdom will finish after Quin Shi Huang has killed a million men army on his own after a 10 volume long battle.

:swoon:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Thorkell is a sweetie and a bae

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Surec posted:

Channeling his adoptive papa now, I see.

I miss Askeladd.

I mena, I love the story now and don't wish it stayed what it was at the beginning, but I liked Askeladd.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Askeladd was the only thing that kept me going in early Vinland Saga. I am glad he was a good enough character to last me till it became something I really loved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Hyouge Mono, praise be god. I missed my Tea Man