Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

:stare: I would not expose a synology directly to the internet for unsolicited inbound traffic. The USA is just as nasty as the rest of the world.

Their VPN system is probably safe enough and the only way I would hook it up. Your passwords and crap mean very little given the number of security issues they have had over time.

Ok. Just so I understand, if the VPN server is running on the Synology, that service would be exposed to the internet but then all other services can be somehow routed through that service so they are not directly exposed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

You just defined "VPN," yes.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

You just defined "VPN," yes.

Ok thanks

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Smashing Link posted:

Ok. Just so I understand, if the VPN server is running on the Synology, that service would be exposed to the internet but then all other services can be somehow routed through that service so they are not directly exposed?

Correct. There would be (basically) 1 port open to the internet - whatever is correct to make the VPN function. Your vpn will build a tunnel to the other synology, also with only that one port open, using the public ips. These are the IPs you are using today. Then, you will only communicate over the new RFC1918-addressed network. (Think: 10.0.0.0/8, 192.168.0.0/16, 172.16.0.0/12) If you want you can just "bridge" this onto your internal network and both synology's will show up as being right there, but I would try to just let them communicate directly and you only use the one local to you.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

Correct. There would be (basically) 1 port open to the internet - whatever is correct to make the VPN function. Your vpn will build a tunnel to the other synology, also with only that one port open, using the public ips. These are the IPs you are using today. Then, you will only communicate over the new RFC1918-addressed network. (Think: 10.0.0.0/8, 192.168.0.0/16, 172.16.0.0/12) If you want you can just "bridge" this onto your internal network and both synology's will show up as being right there, but I would try to just let them communicate directly and you only use the one local to you.

That makes sense to me. I think I can figure it out from there. Thanks guys.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Another option would be to allow access to your Synology only from the IP used by the Synology at your work. This would effectively still block it from the rest of the internet. But I suspect the Google router doesn't support this.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
You can potentially setup iptables based firewalls on the Synology on either and get pretty far. It mostly gets annoying when you have to deal with dynamic IPs or corporate IT blocking certain ports / protocols (and rightfully so, you could be exfiltrating company data, wtf)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I can now sorta see why some people opt for the NSC-810A instead of the 810. It was quite a bear to work with getting the the motherboard situated, but uh, it's in there and it boots, so gently caress it. All that's left is taking it home, moving my drives and Unraid flash drive over and slapping my LSI card in there. Sorta wish the PSU cables were a smidge longer getting to the motherboard. I might end up getting some extension cables for piece of mind.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 26, 2018

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

My Freenas server threw a smart error but when I run both a short and long test everything seems ok. The only off thing appears to be errors 1-3 of the short test but everything I've read doesn't mention any of this as indicative of anything. I'm assuming these are what got flagged? Will they get flagged every time my scheduled self tests are run?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
What smart error was it?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Devian666 posted:

What smart error was it?

In freenas it was 'Self-Test Log error count increased from 0 to 1' and the day it was flagged was on my long test schedule. I ran both a long and short test on the drive it indicated but the only thing I saw that was wrong was ID 1-3 (I said errors 1-3 incorrectly in the previous post) had high counts but nothing I'm reading seems to indicate thats a problem. Neither of the tests actually indicated an error and other than IDs 1-3 it seemed to have passed.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

The catch this season was pretty good, boys.

Testing...(definitely not going to burn the house down)

Doing it right this time, with like, actual server hardware and not crap that my neighbor used to mine bitcoins with

Had to split up the testing across 2 different computers, and the one with only 2 drives attached finished much quicker (the write/read speeds decrease with more drives attached, probably saturating whatever link the USB controller is connected to). The first batch was good, so let's shuck!

These are HGST air-filled DC HC320 drives that have been de-tuned to 5400 RPM. While maybe not quite as nice as the helium filled Reds people were getting from other shucking drives, for $150 an 8TB datacenter drive is pretty goddamn good.

Eventually going to migrate the 6 3TB Reds that I have in my current NAS over to this enclosure (so, 6x 8TB drives + 6 3TB drives, running in separate RAIDZ2 pools). They're nearing 6 years old but still don't throw any errors, so I'll keep using them for low-value storage (trashy reality shows, etc). And yeah, yeah a CLC on a server is stupid as hell but it was just laying around and I had nothing else to use it on, so whatever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Laff, the T430 I have from work has the exact same trackpad wear pattern, it’s about 5 years old. Also the last good T series thinkpad imo.

What motherboard is that btw? Fakedit: ah x11ssh, nice.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
t430s own (and I don't hate the 440s). I resell them all day for $400 with SSDs. Business types love the hell out of them.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

The T440s is acceptable if you replace the no-buttons trackpad with the yes-buttons one from the T450s.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is the buttons trackpad actually better at tracking or is it just for the buttons?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

taqueso posted:

Is the buttons trackpad actually better at tracking or is it just for the buttons?

The trackpad actually sucks rear end, use the nib, it's the only way to fly

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

forbidden dialectics posted:

I can't use the nib, I also can't aim on a console, might be related.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

taqueso posted:

About the same for tracking, so yeah, pretty much just for the buttons. The buttons one also has way less travel for pressing the entire trackpad to click.

Using the nib sucks without the buttons.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I could never get the hang of the nib, I am a bad thinkpad user :negative:

People at my co got upgraded to hps and everyone hates them so I am hanging on to my T430 as long as possible. It is running pretty slow on Outlook etc but that’s probably just a windows install age issue, cpu should still be fine.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The clit mouse is only really for touch typists right? Anyways the trackpads are just fine compared to some of the alps Dell models. Now those suuuuck.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Had to split up the testing across 2 different computers, and the one with only 2 drives attached finished much quicker (the write/read speeds decrease with more drives attached, probably saturating whatever link the USB controller is connected to). The first batch was good, so let's shuck!

What software are you using / what's your testing process?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Atomizer posted:

What software are you using / what's your testing process?

Since I didn't want to have to set up a dual-boot partition with Linux (and use smartctl and badblocks), I used GSmartControl to do a short SMART test (2 minutes) before starting anything, then used h2testw to write/verify each drive (~30 hours). Then I ran the "long" SMART test from GSmartControl (~15 hours). Because it's Windows, you're only running it on the filesystem, so the last couple hundred reserved MB doesn't get tested...but I'll take those odds.

Without the fans, the drives were getting up to 55C, which is way too hot. Added the fans and they held at around 38C, which is perfect.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

I saw a presentation by a university professor at a local university, in which he extrapolated that based on the current trend of growth during the highest IPv6 adoption period, IPv6 address space would experience exhaustion before all IPv4-only equipment on the internet had been replaced with dual-stack capable equipment.

Every person on earth could each have roughly 40 octillion IPv6 addresses (40,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000). I think that professor is dumb.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Inept posted:

Every person on earth could each have roughly 40 octillion IPv6 addresses (40,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000). I think that professor is dumb.

Sure but if at the peak adoption more ipv4 only devices were added to the point where the percent of ipv6 capable devices went down his point still stands. Graph a curve going down and let me know when it hits the limit of the y axis.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I got a DS918+ to replace the linux fileserver at my small business. So far it is working fine. I setup several volumes, each with one share. Today I put in an SSD to be a read cache. It seems like I can only use the SSD to cache one volume - is that right?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

I got a DS918+ to replace the linux fileserver at my small business. So far it is working fine. I setup several volumes, each with one share. Today I put in an SSD to be a read cache. It seems like I can only use the SSD to cache one volume - is that right?

I can't seem to find anything that would allow it to cache for a second volume.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

So the standard way to use this is a large volume with multiple shares?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

taqueso posted:

Correct. It works by being a pass through block map in lvm so you can only use whole devices at a time. This is a Linux thing not a synology thing.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

So the standard way to use this is a large volume with multiple shares?

I always just have one large storage volume with multiple shares as you say.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have a bunch of data locked up on a windows storage pool/storage spaces, originally created with windows server 2012 r2, on drives 2,3,4,5

If I replace the boot drive (drive 1) with a new drive, and then install win 10 on there, will I be able to access the disk/storage pool/storage spaces? I am thinking the answer is yes. Trying to migrate to temporarily access the array, to transfer the data a synology NAS unit.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I have a bunch of data locked up on a windows storage pool/storage spaces, originally created with windows server 2012 r2, on drives 2,3,4,5

If I replace the boot drive (drive 1) with a new drive, and then install win 10 on there, will I be able to access the disk/storage pool/storage spaces? I am thinking the answer is yes. Trying to migrate to temporarily access the array, to transfer the data a synology NAS unit.

I'm pretty sure it will work. I think Windows sees the Storage Space data on the drives themselves, rather than having it tied to a single Windows installation. I had tried it once (with 3 x 250 GB HDDs that had little other purpose) and then disassembled the array without formatting the drives, and when I replaced one of them in a system Windows started to look for the other drives.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I can now sorta see why some people opt for the NSC-810A instead of the 810. It was quite a bear to work with getting the the motherboard situated, but uh, it's in there and it boots, so gently caress it. All that's left is taking it home, moving my drives and Unraid flash drive over and slapping my LSI card in there. Sorta wish the PSU cables were a smidge longer getting to the motherboard. I might end up getting some extension cables for piece of mind.

The PSU cables are actually not long enough on the 810A, you need an extension for both the CPU Aux and the 24-pin. I was going to ask you whether you routed the 24-pin cable around the bottom of the motherboard or the top but I guess that model is completely different. I'll grab some snapshots when it's finished-ish.

Don't feel too bad, this is a normal part of mITX builds. There is never enough space unless it's a big case with too much space.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

The PSU cables are actually not long enough on the 810A, you need an extension for both the CPU Aux and the 24-pin. I was going to ask you whether you routed the 24-pin cable around the bottom of the motherboard or the top but I guess that model is completely different. I'll grab some snapshots when it's finished-ish.

Don't feel too bad, this is a normal part of mITX builds. There is never enough space unless it's a big case with too much space.

Over the top as pictured, the opening under is just a smidge too small to fit the connector under it on account of the locking latch unless I removed the cage entirely beforehand which I don't think is possible due to the front being riveted in.

Think I might also replace the CPU fan. It's a bit loud for my tastes. Just a matter of finding one that will fit it and the small clearance between the motherboard and drive cage.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 30, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
No, I mean our cases are completely different and the cables route in different ways, lol.

email support@u-nas.com and ask him the CPU clearance height, I've bugged him on this a couple times before. I think it's a garage operation but the guy does answer emails one a week or so.

I'm currently trying to figure out what this piece goes to, if you recognize this part on your chassis let me know:

Personally I threw a NH-L9i on it, and the fact that cooler doesn't fit LGA2011-3 was a significant factor in deciding to go LGA1151 with an i3 for me. No idea what you're using but it looks like it fits to me, we'll see about thermals when it's all closed up, but even with the back/PSU off the chassis on the table with no cover it was running whisper quiet.

It came with a pair of Gelid Silent 12's on intake and a 80mm Gelid on exhaust. I put Silverstone fan filters on the intakes and swapped the fans out with Corsair ML120 non-Pros (the filter acts like a rubber grommet to reduce noise, no need for pros). The intake fans weren't going but the outtake fan wasn't loud at all while I was browsing through the BIOS. Looks OK so far. I think the airflow model will work - in the back, out the top right.

My plan for putting a SATA-to-USB adapter on the 2.5" tray drive was a little mixed... it definitely does not fit normally, the adapter is too thick to get the drive onto the tray, and the tray positioning puts the tray too close to the fan for the length of the adapter too... but I put the SSD onto the tray backwards, so the standoffs hold it farther off the tray, then bolted the whole tray onto the inside. hackerman.jpg. Not sure it'll actually fit PCIe cards like this, clearance might be a bit too tight on the inside now, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I think at least one of the two slots should work (the one farther away from the tray)

Be aware the black front plate has a rubbery kind of cover that does scratch/mar easily, I apparently scratched it on the table a bit at some point just getting it built.

Also, some of the sata cables were threaded through each other, and I did maybe fatally kink one at one point (they are the thin low-profile kind like silverstone sells). But overall it's like 8/10 or 9/10. A few things I would do differently in hindsight (no Supermicro board lol) but it's not bad at all.

Biggest gripe is... you really do need 24-pin and CPU-aux extension cables even with the "approved" power supplies, and the guy pretends you don't. You absolutely do, there is no way to route the cables even close on the 810A, at best you are like 6" short and I'm not actually sure these 8" adapters will make it either. It's not like this is weird mobo layout either... standard "aux on the top, 24-pin 90 degrees clockwise, standard ATX layout" board. Generally the same layout as the board he makes, too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 30, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

No, I mean our cases are completely different and the cables route in different ways, lol.

email support@u-nas.com and ask, think it's a garage operation but the guy does answer emails one a week or so.

I'm currently trying to figure out what this piece goes to, if you recognize this part on your chassis let me know:

Personally I threw a NH-L9i on it, and the fact that cooler doesn't fit LGA2011-3 was a significant factor in deciding to go LGA1151 with an i3 for me. No idea what you're using but it looks like it fits to me, we'll see about thermals when it's all closed up.

It came with a pair of Gelid Silent 12's on intake and a 80mm Gelid on exhaust. I put Silverstone fan filters on the intakes and swapped the fans out with Corsair ML120 non-Pros (the filter acts like a rubber grommet to reduce noise, no need for pros). The intake fans weren't going but the outtake fan wasn't loud at all while I was browsing through the BIOS. Looks OK so far.

My plan for putting a SATA-to-USB adapter on the 2.5" tray drive was a little mixed... it definitely does not fit normally, the adapter is too thick to get the drive onto the tray, and the tray positioning puts the tray too close to the fan... but I put the SSD onto the tray backwards, so the standoffs hold it farther off the tray, then bolted the whole tray onto the inside. hackerman.jpg. Not sure it'll actually fit PCIe cards like this clearance might be a bit too tight on the inside now, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I think at least one of the two slots should work (the one farther away from the tray)

Be aware the black front plate has a rubbery kind of cover that does scratch/mar easily, I apparently scratched it on the table a bit at some point just getting it built.

Also, some of the sata cables were threaded through each other, and I did maybe fatally kink one at one point (they are the thin low-profile kind like silverstone sells). But overall it's like 8/10 or 9/10. A few things I would do differently in hindsight (no Supermicro board lol) but it's not bad at all.

Biggest gripe is... you really do need 24-pin and CPU-aux extension cables even with the "approved" power supplies, and the guy pretends you don't. You absolutely do, there is no way to route the cables even close on the 810A, at best you are like 6" short and I'm not actually sure these 8" adapters will make it either. It's not like this is weird mobo layout either... standard "aux on the top, 24-pin 90 degrees clockwise, standard ATX layout" board.

Ah, misread.

Nope, haven't seen that part before. My accessory box only came with screws, replacement screws, some zip ties and the 2.5" drive tray.

810 comes only with the 2 Gelid Silent 12's since the mobo doesn't sit at the top. Those were promptly replaced with Noctua NF-S12A's. Might do filters but I'll try unobstructed for now. I can at least control them through an IPMI plugin through Unraid rather than klutzing around with ipmitool which is sorta neat.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
That part looks like a mount point for an extra SSD / 2.5” drive. Compare screw holes to see if that makes sense. I’ve got a U-NAS NSC-800 that’s a mini ITX and it seems the uATX form factor version doesn’t seem much friendlier.

The front of the case is a low-mid quality rubberized plastic that can handle some torsion but the coating itself is only so resilient.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The U-NAS guys passed it to their engineer, who thinks it is a mount bracket that came with the PSU. :ms:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 31, 2018

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

priznat posted:

Laff, the T430 I have from work has the exact same trackpad wear pattern, it’s about 5 years old. Also the last good T series thinkpad imo.

What motherboard is that btw? Fakedit: ah x11ssh, nice.

I didn't like how grody the trackpad was getting when I figured out that it's an adhesive coating that's making it look gross, rather than any type of dirt or grime. I scraped off the coating to remove the dot texture and then sanded it with 1500 grit. On top of looking clean the trackpad feels so much better now. I know you can get replacement stickers, but not spending money is better.

Oh, wait, this is the NAS thread. Uhh, my FreeNAS setup in a TS140 has been chugging along just fine for years, thanks for asking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I heard you guys like hard drives

6x8TB in one RADIZ2 pool, 6x3TB in another. About 40 TiB usable (for now). Running ProxMox with separate LXC containers for Turnkey Fileserver, Plex, SABNzdb, Sonarr, etc. ZFS pools are handled by the host and mounted as bind points to the containers.