Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Why on earth would anyone spend the time to get that result from GZDoom in 2018 :psyduck:

I am aware this is probably the wrong thread for that question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Console SDKs are generally incompatible with the GPL for reasons that should be fairly obvious.

Well it wasn't to me :saddowns:!

Yeah the alpha version was made available a couple of years ago. I found it extremely unfun. This looks quite a bit more fleshed out though, but the game ran like rear end on my computer anyway so I probably won't bother.

TTerrible posted:

Why on earth would anyone spend the time to get that result from GZDoom in 2018 :psyduck:

I remember seeing preview footage for this as early as seven or so years ago. It's been in development for a long while.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
“Requires Doom2.wad to play”

Why, I wonder?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

david_a posted:

“Requires Doom2.wad to play”

Why, I wonder?

Uh, it's just a PWAD.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fuckin awesome. The beta for this was back when it didn't have any guns or anything like that (and the movement was veeery slow) so we'll see how the gameplay is but the graphics of it are pretty mindblowing regardless.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

fishmech posted:

Uh, it's just a PWAD.
That happens to replace everything? Why not make it an IWAD?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

david_a posted:

That happens to replace everything? Why not make it an IWAD?

It probably does rely on reusing some Doom 2 assets, even if many of the patches aren't used in ways you'd immediately recognize. They could draw additional art to cover that but why bother?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

fishmech posted:

It probably does rely on reusing some Doom 2 assets, even if many of the patches aren't used in ways you'd immediately recognize. They could draw additional art to cover that but why bother?
Because you could offer a complete game download to lure in people that would otherwise not bother.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

david_a posted:

Because you could offer a complete game download to lure in people that would otherwise not bother.

lol at not owning several retail versions of doom2.wad

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah considering you can create standalone GZDoom stuff now that requires no IWAD to play it seems silly to need Doom2.wad for this but whatever I'll play it anyway I'm sure.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

david_a posted:

The 3 people who would be swayed by that probably don't matter to the dev versus being able to skip another few hours of editing.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

fishmech posted:

The 3 people who would be swayed by that probably don't matter to the dev versus being able to skip another few hours of editing.

Yeah I just found my doom disks so it's only 2 people now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Being on the Doom engine is the only "wow!" factor Total Chaos has going for it, because such visuals aren't too hard to do in Unity or Unreal, so being a standalone game would give them a lot less publicity.

It's also a bit late because ever since dpJudas joined, GZDoom has been able to do most of what they do in the right way instead of faking it with performances-killing hacks.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Does the axe ever refuse to swing for anyone else in Project Warlock?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Early FPS Megathread - lol at not owning several retail versions of doom2.wad

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cat Mattress posted:

Being on the Doom engine is the only "wow!" factor Total Chaos has going for it, because such visuals aren't too hard to do in Unity or Unreal, so being a standalone game would give them a lot less publicity.

It's also a bit late because ever since dpJudas joined, GZDoom has been able to do most of what they do in the right way instead of faking it with performances-killing hacks.

It's really interesting in its technical aspects but as a game I'm entirely uninterested. The only thing that would push me to pick it up is a developer commentary or dev blog to explore alongside it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Sdoots posted:

Does the axe ever refuse to swing for anyone else in Project Warlock?

It's on a cool down. you have to listen for the Warlock grunting before you swing again. Although sometimes the sound doesn't play?

I'd prefer it if the axe glinted or something, something a little more visual to clue you in, I was wondering why I was grunting in pain so much.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Or just be a cheap mofo and use the light spam glitch, using the light spell after you swing will reset the cooldown for some reason allowing you to swing really fast.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hey so this is a weird request, but last night i was watching a demo for eternall.wad (eternal doom) map05 which has this blue-lit spiral staircase where the lights strobe for whatever reason extremely fast and tbh it was kinda giving me a headache and I've had seizures before and I'm not anxious to get one again, and i was wondering if there might be a way to make like a deh or something that would force all strobes to shine at a certain slower interval to avoid that in the future

site fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 25, 2018

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Mak0rz posted:

The Early FPS Megathread - lol at not owning several retail versions of doom2.wad

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mak0rz posted:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

site posted:

Hey so this is a weird request, but last night i was watching a demo for eternall.wad (eternal doom) map05 which has this blue-lit spiral staircase where the lights strobe for whatever reason extremely fast and tbh it was kinda giving me a headache and I've had seizures before and I'm not anxious to get one again, and i was wondering if there might be a way to make like a deh or something that would force all strobes to shine at a certain slower interval to avoid that in the future
Dehacked can’t do that, and even if it could I wouldn’t be surprised if that would cause demos to desync. The closest thing I can think of is using a custom colormap to reduce the dynamic range of the different light levels; IE “pitch black” would become “kinda dim” or something. It might make that effect less annoying but it would obviously be a massively invasive graphical change.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Mak0rz posted:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

:emptyquote:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

site posted:

I posited this in a doom source port author clubhouse and several expressed interest at looking into the idea, but it would have to be a source port thing.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Please launch doom2.wad to post in this thread.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Getting this error when I try to start Struggle through doom launcher

any ideas

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Do you actually care about keeping track of statistics?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
No but the wad won't start. Maybe

quote:

R_InitTextures: 334 errors
is the more relevant part actually
e; starts up fine in Zandronum though

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 25, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

david_a posted:

Dehacked can’t do that, and even if it could I wouldn’t be surprised if that would cause demos to desync. The closest thing I can think of is using a custom colormap to reduce the dynamic range of the different light levels; IE “pitch black” would become “kinda dim” or something. It might make that effect less annoying but it would obviously be a massively invasive graphical change.

Disappointing but understandable i suppose

Linguica posted:

I posited this in a doom source port author clubhouse and several expressed interest at looking into the idea, but it would have to be a source port thing.

Thanks for the boost i appreciate it

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I know it's not exactly an Early FPS, or even 2.5D... or even a shooter, but I'm really enjoying SOMA.
Only an hour or so in, and it feels very much like a System Shock game. Super-great atmosphere. They did a great job making industrial environments look pretty and interesting.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Source ports/recodings of obscure FPSes are a bit like busses. You wait for ages, then two or three show up at once. Here's RedNukem, an eDuke32 fork that adds support for the Redneck Rampage games.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 25, 2018

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Well Fear 2 sure is... something. I keep forgetting I'm supposed to be scared by the scary bits. Halo was a hell of a drug to shooters I guess.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Seconding SOMA. It’s absolutely not even in the same neighborhood as the thread topic, but it’s a really good horror experience and a really good science fiction story.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

...How? ....WHY?!

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Once I realized that you can't die in most of the FEAR series' horror segments, they became breathers between the gunfights. Plus it's kinda a hard sell in the first place to expect someone who just finished an awesome slo-mo gunfight to be suddenly scared by a little girl.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What are some good wads lately?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

site posted:

Thanks for the boost i appreciate it
The Chocolate Doom guy has declared it out of scope. Well I tried.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Linguica posted:

The Chocolate Doom guy has declared it out of scope. Well I tried.

Was it more than just a simple "no"? Can you pm me a link to the post, I'm curious to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is there anything a source port can even do if sector lighting is hard-coded into the map data?