Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nurge posted:

I understand the sentiment, but misleading people is easy. Blaming them for voting for assholes isn't really productive. In my view anyway.

Nothing is productive and death is certain. Nuclear war by 2025.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
lol Sipilä ejaculated into a vasta by offering the same lovely law but now including everyone, not only small businesses

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-10475576

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Current law:

Työntekijästä johtuvana tai hänen henkilöönsä liittyvänä asiallisena ja painavana irtisanomisperusteena voidaan pitää työsopimuksesta tai laista johtuvien, työsuhteeseen olennaisesti vaikuttavien velvoitteiden vakavaa rikkomista tai laiminlyöntiä sekä sellaisten työntekijän henkilöön liittyvien työntekoedellytysten olennaista muuttumista, joiden vuoksi työntekijä ei enää kykene selviytymään työtehtävistään. Syyn asiallisuutta ja painavuutta arvioitaessa on otettava huomioon työnantajan ja työntekijän olosuhteet kokonaisuudessaan.

This latest bill proposal:

Työntekijästä johtuvana tai hänen henkilöönsä liittyvänä asiallisena ja painavana irtisanomisperusteena voidaan pitää työsopimuksesta tai laista johtuvien, työsuhteeseen olennaisesti vaikuttavien velvoitteiden vakavaa rikkomista tai laiminlyöntiä sekä sellaisten työntekijän henkilöön liittyvien työntekoedellytysten olennaista muuttumista, joiden vuoksi työntekijä ei enää kykene selviytymään työtehtävistään. Syyn asiallisuutta ja painavuutta arvioitaessa on kokonaisarvioinnissa otettava huomioon työnantajan palveluksessa olevien työntekijöiden lukumäärä sekä työnantajan ja työntekijän olosuhteet kokonaisuudessaan.

What does it mean in practise? How should courts evaluate this? :iiam:

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

Current law:

Työntekijästä johtuvana tai hänen henkilöönsä liittyvänä asiallisena ja painavana irtisanomisperusteena voidaan pitää työsopimuksesta tai laista johtuvien, työsuhteeseen olennaisesti vaikuttavien velvoitteiden vakavaa rikkomista tai laiminlyöntiä sekä sellaisten työntekijän henkilöön liittyvien työntekoedellytysten olennaista muuttumista, joiden vuoksi työntekijä ei enää kykene selviytymään työtehtävistään. Syyn asiallisuutta ja painavuutta arvioitaessa on otettava huomioon työnantajan ja työntekijän olosuhteet kokonaisuudessaan.

Työntekijästä johtuvana tai hänen henkilöönsä liittyvänä asiallisena ja painavana irtisanomisperusteena voidaan pitää työsopimuksesta tai laista johtuvien, työsuhteeseen olennaisesti vaikuttavien velvoitteiden vakavaa rikkomista tai laiminlyöntiä sekä sellaisten työntekijän henkilöön liittyvien työntekoedellytysten olennaista muuttumista, joiden vuoksi työntekijä ei enää kykene selviytymään työtehtävistään. Syyn asiallisuutta ja painavuutta arvioitaessa on kokonaisarvioinnissa otettava huomioon työnantajan palveluksessa olevien työntekijöiden lukumäärä sekä työnantajan ja työntekijän olosuhteet kokonaisuudessaan.

The thing is the paragraph as a whole is completely distanced from the last sentence. The new wording should mean absolutely nothing at all in my opinion. The entirety of the preceding sentences are things only in reference to the employee and his/her ability to do their job. The last sentence adds a thing about the number of employees which does not in any way mean anything in the same context. I'm not a lawyer though.

In essence though "This person is not able to/will not do their job as necessary because XXX."

"Oh yeah also because we have Y employees that changes things somehow."

It makes absolutely no sense in any context.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress is this weird uhriutuminen that starts up every time somebody who knows something about history points out that some of our forefathers did bad poo poo joskus vuonna keppi ja kivi? Like, seriously, what's the psychology behind this?

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
It's deeply unfair to say Finns were somehow involved in slavery, I've never cracked a whip myself! Also what about all those thousands of Finns taken by vainolainen in the early 1700s?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I didn't read the piece so were any non-bougie-gently caress Finns responsible for slavery or just the bougie fucks?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

I didn't read the piece so were any non-bougie-gently caress Finns responsible for slavery or just the bougie fucks?

The non-bougie fucks at the time were essentially slaves themselves.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Jerry Cotton posted:

se hurri vain pistää sen suomen piikkiin koska tehdas on turussa eikä tukholmassa

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nurge posted:

The non-bougie fucks at the time were essentially slaves themselves.

I think you are using hyperbole :thunk:

Triple A posted:

se hurri vain pistää sen suomen piikkiin koska tehdas on turussa eikä tukholmassa

Ah, at least someone is discussing this seriously :hmmyes:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Nenonen posted:

Current law:

This is so stupidly written that this can lead to sacking people being harder for large companies while not having an appreciable impact on small (or "small") businesses. They'd still have to at least say the quiet part loud in the hallituksen esitys because that's where the court goes for help when the law is indecipherable.

If this passes, I want to get in on this action. Unfortunately investing in a labour litigation firm is a bit tricky for a regular Joe.

They're just trolling the unions at this point, throwing anything they can at them to make them kneel. Next step is probably just a bill that says "unions suck"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sulphagnist posted:

This is so stupidly written that this can lead to sacking people being harder for large companies while not having an appreciable impact on small (or "small") businesses. They'd still have to at least say the quiet part loud in the hallituksen esitys because that's where the court goes for help when the law is indecipherable.

If this passes, I want to get in on this action. Unfortunately investing in a labour litigation firm is a bit tricky for a regular Joe.

They're just trolling the unions at this point, throwing anything they can at them to make them kneel. Next step is probably just a bill that says "unions suck"

To be fair, the previous law's impact on small businesses was just "oh gently caress you".

The benefit was to big companies subcontracting to "small businesses".

The unions are defending the small businesses, and the owners of actual small businesses want their head on a plate because they like the sound of the government going "sure we'll help you" and are paying no attention to what the government is actually doing. Or just really hate poor people, enough to hurt themselves.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Juha Sipilä retire bitch

HerraS fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 26, 2018

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
The Finnish language is in danger of being sidelined to extinction by the assault of the English language argues Kotus, the board of Finnish languages. When even the minister of education is pushing to make it possible to complete the matriculation exam in English, the board is worried for the future of the country's other languages. For that reason the government should devise a language political program to counter this development asap.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Just joined the union at my new job, and on Monday am going with the union rep from my earlier job to make the city pay me wages they illegally withheld. Thank you unions.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
No actually unions are obsolete these days

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

I think you are using hyperbole :thunk:

Yeah it isn't really comparable, but people who weren't a part of the elite probably had almost no idea what went on even nearby outside of finlandtheir village and/or the nearest town, and definitely weren't making business decisions about overseas trade.

e: Then again the time period in the article in the mid 1700s was a time when Finland was splintered into sections controlled by Russia and Sweden. In the Russian section of the lands the role and rights of the peasants degraded into something almost like slavery (forced to farm for the landowner, the landowner could punish them without interference from the law, etc.). I'm assuming the factory mentioned was in the Swedish part of Finland though.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 26, 2018

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There was no "Finland" as an independent entity. There was no vote. There was barely any education for anybody except the clergy and the nobility. The Kingdom of Sweden and the Russian Empire certainly benefited from colonialism but Finland was basically a colony itself...

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
lol @ all the attempts itt at assigning the blame for profiting from colonialism to some narrower segment of the finnish (or better yet, swedish) society. literally everyone living here today indirectly benefits from past slavery, dwi

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Finland was never a colony unless we dilute the word itself into meaninglessness.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Herman Merman posted:

lol @ all the attempts itt at assigning the blame for profiting from colonialism to some narrower segment of the finnish (or better yet, swedish) society. literally everyone living here today indirectly benefits from past slavery, dwi

What's the point though? If you want to go far far before Finland even existed for examples of second hand benefits of slavery then you might as well say every single person on the planet earth benefits from slavery through some chain of events you can draw up if you look hard enough. It becomes a meaningless statement.

Like during the exact period mentioned in the article there were peasants in (what is now) finland getting beaten by landowners for not being good boys and girls, and they had no legal recourse. They were essentially deprived of most of the rights citizens usually get, so just a little tiny step above slavery.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 26, 2018

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

quote:

Sipilä kommentoi Ylelle sopua Puolangalla navetanvihkimismatkan yhteydessä.

Kyllä on saatana perverssiksi mennyt kun pääministerikin saa mennä naimisiin navetan kanssa!!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nurge posted:

What's the point though? If you want to go far far before Finland even existed for examples of second hand benefits of slavery then you might as well say every single person on the planet earth benefits from slavery through some chain of events you can draw up if you look hard enough. It becomes a meaningless statement.

Well, except the slaves.

Nurge posted:

Like during the exact period mentioned in the article there were peasants in (what is now) finland getting beaten by landowners for not being good boys and girls, and they had no legal recourse. They were essentially deprived of most of the rights citizens usually get, so just a little tiny step above slavery.

I dunno where you got your history education from, but we never had serfdom in Finland.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well, except the slaves.

I dunno where you got your history education from, but we never had serfdom in Finland.
The land given to russian nobles in southeastern finland was exempt from all kinds of laws, and the peasants living there were essentially in the same position as russian peasants, that is to say serfs. It went on for a fairly long time. At least a hundred years or so before the autonomous finnish regions bought off the lands from the nobles some time in the mid 1800s. This is extremely well documented and I'm surprised you don't know about it.

It's not the exact same thing as actual slavery since the nobles didn't literally own the people, but it was effectively fairly similar. They had very few legal rights, and no real options to move elsewhere.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 26, 2018

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Ok, which one of youse guys are posting on Svenska YLE?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nurge posted:

The land given to russian nobles in southeastern finland was exempt from all kinds of laws, and the peasants living there were essentially in the same position as russian peasants, that is to say serfs. It went on for a fairly long time. At least a hundred years or so before the autonomous finnish regions bought off the lands from the nobles some time in the mid 1800s. This is extremely well documented and I'm surprised you don't know about it.

It's not the exact same thing as actual slavery since the nobles didn't literally own the people, but it was effectively fairly similar. They had very few legal rights, and no real options to move elsewhere.

That's true, but I hadn't seen your edits and was talking about Finland as a whole.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I don't see much of a reason to care if Finland was terrible in the past

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Yeah this isn't really worth arguing over. History is cool, is all.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My ancestors were torppareita but yeah it's for sure that any Europeans benefited (if ever so slightly) from slavery - which is bad.

Then again, I wouldn't kick my head in over that.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
Countries in a certain situation behave in a certain way. Being proud or ashamed of a nation's actions is like being proud or ashamed of having to take a poo poo or the way sun sets in the evening.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SnowblindFatal posted:

Countries in a certain situation behave in a certain way. Being proud or ashamed of a nation's actions is like being proud or ashamed of having to take a poo poo or the way sun sets in the evening.

I think it's pretty ok to be angry at the country if they practice slavery.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Nurge posted:

I think it's pretty ok to be angry at the country if they practice slavery.

All emotions are ok and you generally shouldn't suppress any of them unless absolutely necessary, and even then they should be expressed later in some way :)

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
gently caress all of the following countries due to the people living in them:

Afghanistan
Albania
Algeria
American Samoa
Andorra
Angola
Anguilla
Antigua and Barbuda
Argentina
Armenia
Aruba
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Bahamas, The
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus
Belgium
Belize
Benin
Bermuda
Bhutan
Bolivia
Bosnia
Botswana
Bougainville
Brazil
British Indian Ocean
British Virgin Islands
Brunei
Bulgaria
Burkina Faso
Burundi
Cambodia
Cameroon
Canada
Cape Verde Islands
Cayman Islands
Central African Republic
Chad
Chile
China, Hong Kong
China, Macau
China, People’s Republic
China, Taiwan
Colombia
Comoros
Congo, Democratic Republic of
Congo, Republic of
Cook Islands
Costa Rica
Cote d’Ivoire
Croatia
Cuba
Cyprus Czech Republic
Denmark
Djibouti
Dominica
Dominican Republic
Ecuador
Egypt
El Salvador
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Estonia
Ethiopia
Faeroe Islands
Falkland Islands
Federated States of Micronesia
Fiji
Finland
France
French Guiana
French Polynesia
Gabon
Gambia, The
Georgia
Germany
Ghana
Gibraltar
Greece
Greenland
Grenada
Guadeloupe
Guam
Guatemala
Guinea
Guinea-Bissau
Guyana
Haiti
Holy See (Vatican City State)
Honduras
Hungary
Iceland
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Jamaica
Japan
Jordan
Kazakhstan
Kenya
Kiribati
Korea, Democratic People’s Rep
Korea, Republic of
Kosovo
Kuwait Kyrgyzstan
Laos
Latvia
Lebanon
Lesotho
Liberia
Libya
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macedonia
Madagascar
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Mali
Malta
Martinique
Mauritania
Mauritius
Mayotte
Mexico
Moldova
Monaco
Mongolia
Montenegro
Montserrat
Morocco Mozambique
Myanmar
Namibia
Nauru
Nepal
Netherlands
Netherlands Antilles
New Caledonia
New Zealand
Nicaragua
Niger
Nigeria
Norway
Oman
Pakistan
Palestine
Panama
Papua New Guinea
Paraguay
Peru
Philippines
Poland
Portugal
Puerto Rico
Qatar
Réunion
Romania
Russia
Rwanda Saint Barthelemy
Saint Helena
Saint Kitts & Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Martin
Saint Pierre & Miquelon
Saint Vincent
Samoa
San Marino
Sao Tomé & Principe
Saudi Arabia
Senegal
Serbia
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
Solomon Islands
Somalia
South Africa
Spain
Sri Lanka
Sudan
Suriname
Swaziland
Sweden
Switzerland
Syria
Tajikistan
Tanzania
Thailand
Timor Leste
Togo
Tokelau Islands
Tonga
Trinidad & Tobago
Tunisia
Turkey
Turkmenistan
Turks & Caicos Islands
Tuvalu
Uganda
Ukraine
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom of GB & NI
United States of America
Uruguay
US Virgin Islands
Uzbekistan
Vanuatu
Venezuela
Vietnam
Wallis & Futuna Islands
Yemen
Zambia
Zimbabwe

There I said they're all poo poo what are you gonna do liberal/conservative media

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
unohdit atlantiksen ja xanadun siitä listasta

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

how dare you besmirch the name of the One True Korea, a shining beacon in these dark times

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Etelä-Sudan on näköjään ihan jees

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013
I just met Paavo at Kirjamessut. Was walking past the hihhuli department, when he suddenly asked me to write a kannatuskortti.

I said "no".

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Chazani posted:

I just met Paavo at Kirjamessut. Was walking past the hihhuli department, when he suddenly asked me to write a kannatuskortti.

I said "no".

Senkin isänmaanpetturi

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Chazani posted:

I said "no".

giljotiini odottaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
if you meet paavo on the road, kill him

you absolute cretin, idiootti