Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah same, megacorps are a thing I'm happy to see in the game but something I'll never play with unless some cool mods use the foundations of the new mechanics to give more "soft power" options to other types of empires.

In my 800 or so hours of Stellaris I think I played robots once when the DLC came out, and tried to play as a slaving xenophobe once. Every other hour I've sunk into the game has been egalitarian materialist humans. Which of course means I'll look at all new content and mechanics around how they'll related to that.

800 hours of humans.
Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Robots are cool but the pop build system is agonizing, servitors almost make up for it with their unique thing, but still the pop system is just a horrible chore. So I hope the patch will make them fun for me again. Especially because I figure they can presumably build incredibly dense worlds with machine worlds + robot housing modifiers.

I might also play materialists more for the same reason, robots will be much more useful/usable I think.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah the pop micro absolutely kills it for me when playing robutts. If that's better now then I'll try them again.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Robots are cool but the pop build system is agonizing, servitors almost make up for it with their unique thing, but still the pop system is just a horrible chore. So I hope the patch will make them fun for me again. Especially because I figure they can presumably build incredibly dense worlds with machine worlds + robot housing modifiers.

Try out some Driven Assimilators Owlfancier. They're the best of all worlds.
And still the only people I've managed to conquer the whole galaxy as.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Taear posted:

800 hours of humans.
Christ.

800 hours of humans of an exact ethos, don't forget that part. Also always playing as a robot-based tech-turtle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Taear posted:

Try out some Driven Assimilators Owlfancier. They're the best of all worlds.
And still the only people I've managed to conquer the whole galaxy as.

I did try them but, like, it's basically just a hive at that point.

And I find hives kinda dull because they're just normal empires with some mechanics removed. They're not bad they're just a strict step back from any other kind of empire in terms of interestingness unless you're playing one of the special variants. And even then, purifiers are probably more interesting.

I guess assimilators might be more fun if you couldn't just grow pops very easily and do all your other jobs with robots. Giving the empire type which has the ability to specialize in anything it wants, the ability to assimilate organic species for specialization just falls flat. There's not a lot of point in it other than to avoid having to click more robots.

I do actually like servitors though, it's just that I keep breaking the game over my drat knee whenever I try to use them, might be because of the mods I use but I think it's just because it's really drat easy to put robots on all planets and then fill any that fit your habitability with millions of infrareds and get insane unity/productivity enhancements.

Baronjutter posted:

800 hours of humans of an exact ethos, don't forget that part. Also always playing as a robot-based tech-turtle.

You have achieved a level of broke-brainedness that I can only aspire to, goonsir.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 25, 2018

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

I'm so glad my abusive childhood gave me the compartmentalization skills apparently necessary to play videogames in a style that isn't an exact match to my personally held real-world beliefs and values.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I did try them but, like, it's basically just a hive at that point.

And I find hives kinda dull because they're just normal empires with some mechanics removed. They're not bad they're just a strict step back from any other kind of empire in terms of interestingness unless you're playing one of the special variants. And even then, purifiers are probably more interesting.

I guess assimilators might be more fun if you couldn't just grow pops very easily and do all your other jobs with robots. Giving the empire type which has the ability to specialize in anything it wants, the ability to assimilate organic species for specialization just falls flat. There's not a lot of point in it other than to avoid having to click more robots.

I really really like the concept and that's what drives me to play Stellaris.

I know it's been said but Baronjutter you play the game so differently from anyone else that it's like a totally different game by that point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think it's even that I just can't play authoritarians because whenever I do I just wonder why I'm bothering to enslave people. it's like I'm doing it just to be a dick because I don't have any possible reason to want to do it in the game. I could build robots or just free them and give them loads of stuff so they work at +20% efficiency on everything. Plus it's not like minerals/energy are hard to come by.

Maybe it's more of a useful playstyle on very high difficulties or in multiplayer, or on shorter timescales. But I always run into the problem where I'm short on things to spend money on rather than short on money itself. So I'd just end up with some stupid hellempire that produces obscene amounts of lucre and then literally cannot find anything to spend it on so it all goes into the infinite resource hole while everyone is loving miserable.

Actually on second thoughts maybe it is ideological issues because that feels like a late stage capitalism problem which might be why it irritates me.

I do wonder why so many of my games end up with me producing such idiotic amounts of energy and minerals that I quit because the game is too easy. I do run mods but I don't think any of the ones I run should cause that problem. And it's not like I play on easy, I play one down from Admiral with max empires/advanced/FEs and stuff as well as 0.25 habitable worlds. I try really drat hard to make scarcity a thing in the game and yet every time I play it I hit the point where I have basically infinite money and then just call it done.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 25, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

you can tell which people had stellaris as their first pdx game because they still have a sense of right and wrong when committing virtual atrocities

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I can’t not play humans either, and only because their randomized planet names are cooler than the Blurp Blorps other name lists give their colonies

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

I can’t not play humans either, and only because their randomized planet names are cooler than the Blurp Blorps other name lists give their colonies

You can assign that namelist to any empire you want, it's pretty good.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah same, megacorps are a thing I'm happy to see in the game but something I'll never play with unless some cool mods use the foundations of the new mechanics to give more "soft power" options to other types of empires.

In my 800 or so hours of Stellaris I think I played robots once when the DLC came out, and tried to play as a slaving xenophobe once. Every other hour I've sunk into the game has been egalitarian materialist humans. Which of course means I'll look at all new content and mechanics around how they'll related to that.

To be clear, you look at all new content in terms of whether it changes literally nothing about your gameplay what so ever?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ham Sandwiches posted:

That's a great question, Ice Fist. Do you think it's possible that different people on the internet like different things?

Nah. Everyone should be pretty thrilled with the kind of narratives that will come of this even if you elect never to use them yourself.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

i mostly play birds because I like the 'wings of gold' 'feathers of red' etc namelist

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess I wish that other empires could keep pace better, or ally against the player more effectively. Because I really think the only things that could pose any kind of threat to my empires by the midgame are FEs and crises, and that's pretty boring.

The very early game is the best bit, fighting skirmishes for key systems with scarce resources and equivalent fleets, but it lasts such a short time. I had a great war with a neighbour recently where I absolutely had to knock one of their border systems over to secure access out of my arm and block them in, about 20 years in on 2.5x tech cost, it took all bloody war because they outnumbered me and they bombed my homeworld a little bit but I eventually managed to knock out enough of their lovely 700 strength fleet that I could settle status quo on that system days before they finished occupying one of my colonies. Real tense, great fun. Wish there was more of that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 25, 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You can assign that namelist to any empire you want, it's pretty good.

My roleplaying though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jay Rust posted:

My roleplaying though

If television sci fi has taught me anything it's that everywhere in the galaxy had the roman empire.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Who allows the game to assign names to planets and doesn't rename them and also rename stars? Come on now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Brother Entropy posted:

you can tell which people had stellaris as their first pdx game because they still have a sense of right and wrong when committing virtual atrocities

I will happily do the most comically depraved things in CK2, forge brutal colonial empires in EU4, play every weird gimmick country in V2. I just find aliens and alien names hard to attach any sort of narrative to, and that egalitarian materialist playstyle has the best balance between fussy annoying micro and fun gameplay. Materialist and Egalitarian factions demands are the easiest to just set some policies, totally please them and never have to worry about them again.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Baronjutter posted:

I wonder if you can pick shared burden and mega Corp. I wish they were not limited to oligarchy too. Why not a hereditary crime family? Or an owner-operator dictator who has the majority of shares? Really most governments would fit.

Because its an authority of its own and they only have one succession type (well, you can mod an authority with both heredity and elections but it's screwy and dumb in practice). If it were a civic, then you could combine it with different authority types but then I don't think you could have megacorp-only civics (or if you could, you can only start with one).

They could probably code in conditional succession based on ethos, and that would honestly be a cool idea but also more work on top of what looks like a monster overhaul. But ideally imo your Fanatic Authoritarian megacorp is a family business (Imperial succession in form), your Fanatic Egalitarian megacorp has Democratic elections, etc. You could also backport this into the base authorities, so that idk more Egalitarian Democracies have shorter terms or something? Eh doesn't seem to hot now but whatever. I don't fault them for not doing this to be clear, just a thing that could be done and might be neat.

Oh, alternately, maybe it could be possible for civics to alter succession type of the main authority? I always thought it would be cool for certain civics to mess with the basics of succession, so that authorities that don't normally allow for emergency elections can have them. Then again I have never tried modding this in. Thanks for reading my stream of consciousness mechanics crafting post.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Taear posted:

Who allows the game to assign names to planets and doesn't rename them and also rename stars? Come on now.

Typically speaking I will set a custom name for my starting planet and star, but my empires are typically big enough where doing this all the time is a lot of effort.\

I'm the guy the thread was talking about earlier with 50+ star bases by the time the game ended.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I will happily do the most comically depraved things in CK2, forge brutal colonial empires in EU4, play every weird gimmick country in V2. I just find aliens and alien names hard to attach any sort of narrative to, and that egalitarian materialist playstyle has the best balance between fussy annoying micro and fun gameplay. Materialist and Egalitarian factions demands are the easiest to just set some policies, totally please them and never have to worry about them again.

It's weird you don't play spiritualists if you like that because spiritualists specialize in making spiritualism the only loving thing in your empire.

They get +governing ethics attraction, their buildings give +spiritualist ethics attraction, you get psychics which further boost spritualism, you end up with stupid amounts of bible bashers in your empire if you go fanatic spiritualist and it's pretty great. Basically all their demands are JESUS MORE YES and ROBOT NO

Plus you have some wicked sick namelists right there. Obviously you call your ship classes cherub, hashmal, er'el, ophan, malakh, seraph, chayot etc.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Ice Fist posted:

This upcoming DLC sounds loving incredible. How could you read that dev diary and not enjoy the concept of megacorps in stellaris?

Somebody who goes "Oh, Merchant Republics, but IN SPACE. Bleh. And not even Patricians for murder-times/weirdness."

Not my view, precisely. I don't get hyped for anything anymore. I'm vaguely interested, I'll probably buy it, but I'm not hyped. Probably the depression, there, mind you.

In the end, I feel it'll truly depend on how you saw CK2's Trade Post system, and what gets brought to the table to change it up-which we don't know right now.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 25, 2018

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

Tripping over Wiz's Hohenzollern LP somewhere is what introduced me to the existence of SA, and IIRC it was the first Paradox MegaLP? I think it's also the only one that ever actually finished everything from CK through HoI, all the others have died in conversion or stopped at Victoria. Although ByzLP is apparently not dead, just hibernating as they very slowly convert it to HoI, so maybe we'll eventually have two 100% completed MegaLP's.

No mega LP is complete until it continues into Sellaris imo. :colbert:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

Typically speaking I will set a custom name for my starting planet and star, but my empires are typically big enough where doing this all the time is a lot of effort.\

I'm the guy the thread was talking about earlier with 50+ star bases by the time the game ended.

My last game I had 55 at the end and I still did it!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Brother Entropy posted:

i mostly play birds because I like the 'wings of gold' 'feathers of red' etc namelist

'sup bird buddy. That is, indeed, the best namelist.

Megacorps look interesting though I'm curious about the specifics about how they'd work for more isolationist types. Like inward perfectionists and slavers and the like.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OwlFancier posted:

I guess I wish that other empires could keep pace better, or ally against the player more effectively. Because I really think the only things that could pose any kind of threat to my empires by the midgame are FEs and crises, and that's pretty boring.

The very early game is the best bit, fighting skirmishes for key systems with scarce resources and equivalent fleets, but it lasts such a short time. I had a great war with a neighbour recently where I absolutely had to knock one of their border systems over to secure access out of my arm and block them in, about 20 years in on 2.5x tech cost, it took all bloody war because they outnumbered me and they bombed my homeworld a little bit but I eventually managed to knock out enough of their lovely 700 strength fleet that I could settle status quo on that system days before they finished occupying one of my colonies. Real tense, great fun. Wish there was more of that.

EU4's coalition and aggressive expansion system worked so good. That's a game where I had to really plan my expansion and warmongering or see the world turn on me. Even when I felt like an overdog, like I'm France and also control all of Iberia through a lucky diplomatic marriage event and I conquered the British Isles, I always feel like I need to really pick each war with care. In Stellaris this system doesn't really exist. You just get people locked in defense pacts or federations but they're such static things they end up inflexible and it leads to boring stalemates. There's just not enough countries on the map for a system like EU4's to work.

In Stellaris I always get to a point where the only thing holding me back on conquest is the management headache. More planets to re-build, more starbases to scrap or re-module, a bunch of stupid factions popping up that will never go away.

Really hoping that the death of tiles and all the micro surrounding them and the pops that live on them will potentially make other playstyles more attractive.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I mean I'm pretty sure I'm going to tweak the tech scaling settings in the files for this expansion because I like corporations but hate playing "tall". To me the "more more more" mentality applies to all things, not just energy credits. More territory, more minerals, more pops, more resources, etc.. But I will most likely give it at least one or two runs playing it the "proper" way. My galaxy settings also tend towards less, larger empires rather than the "many small empires" that I see a lot of in screenshots. So I can totally see different players having different reactions to this.

Personally I still like it though because it adds another dimension that is economic interaction beyond "I kill them and take their stuff". While most of that is coming in the free update, things like branch offices and special buildings you can build on other empire-controlled planets add even more onto that.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 25, 2018

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Taear posted:

My last game I had 55 at the end and I still did it!

You are more dedicated than I am.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ice Fist posted:

Nah. Everyone should be pretty thrilled with the kind of narratives that will come of this even if you elect never to use them yourself.

Ah yes, the "everyone should agree with me" bold stance, this guy goes on the internet for an echo chamber and gets really really confused with any differing opinions.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ah yes, the "everyone should agree with me" bold stance, this guy goes on the internet for an echo chamber and gets really really confused with any differing opinions.

lol, sorry I hurt your feelings guy

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

OwlFancier posted:

If television sci fi has taught me anything it's that everywhere in the galaxy had the roman empire.
This is true, though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

If there's a commie themed megacorp civic that can be combined with the crime syndicate one, looking forward to playing the Interstellar Liberal Crime Squad on release day. :getin:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Brother Entropy posted:

Was going to call this out specifically as a better than humans list. There's a very similar plant one too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yes everyone should probably agree that more options makes the game richer even if those options aren’t for you specifically.

I have no intention of playing a Megacorp but it’s cool they exist.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I only play robits so I don't think the expansion is going to do a ton for me, though the planet changes will be interesting. I am, however, very excited about the first ever Stellaris DevClash!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Splicer posted:

Was going to call this out specifically as a better than humans list. There's a very similar plant one too.

No namelists are good because the moment you go cybernetic the game bugs out and gives you a new random namelist oh god why hasn't this been fixed yet?!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It's a shame megacorps and gestalts don't seem to be able to both be picked. A robo-ethic that turns them into single-minded profit seekers that only want to build larger and larger stock markets would be a great bit of gimmicky fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Spudalicious posted:

We didn't see the unbidden until 2450 or so, which seemed awfully late but I suppose it's quite random.

The end game crises can't fire until 50 years after the end game start date, god knows why, meaning if you have it on the default setting, 2450 is the earliest it could possibly fire.