Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Welp, you just doomed my current base. :v:

Seriously, the end of most of my bases are because I see more efficient ideas I want to implement but am too far along so I end up just starting over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

User0015 posted:

1) Insulated ceramic tiles are no better, either.
This part doesn’t seem to be correct, at least going only off thermal conductivity. Insulated tiles have a conductivity of 1% of their regular versions, and regular tiles are (roughly) sandstone 1.6, igneous 1.1 and ceramic 0.3. So insulated sandstone is 0.016 and insulated ceramic is 0.003.

I do agree that making them feels way too slow.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

This part doesn’t seem to be correct, at least going only off thermal conductivity. Insulated tiles have a conductivity of 1% of their regular versions, and regular tiles are (roughly) sandstone 1.6, igneous 1.1 and ceramic 0.3. So insulated sandstone is 0.016 and insulated ceramic is 0.003.

I do agree that making them feels way too slow.

I'll double check these when I get home, but I swear ceramic was 0.6 -- If it's insulated value really is 0.003 that is actually reasonable, but I swear it wasn't anywhere near that.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Maybe we're all so spoiled by Abyssalite that it's hard to get a new perspective on what a "good" insulator is.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks for all the advice, gonna reroll a new colony

enraged_camel posted:

first playthrough?

aren't you the OP?

not first playthrough, but first playthrough since I lasted played back in Feb 2017. A lot has changed :) Last time I played, there were maybe 5 or 10 research tasks, and the game was very easy to cheese. You could have a base running extremely quickly, but I remember CO2 was a problem back then and you'd eventually die off unless you did some crazy poo poo.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

User0015 posted:

I'll double check these when I get home, but I swear ceramic was 0.6 -- If it's insulated value really is 0.003 that is actually reasonable, but I swear it wasn't anywhere near that.

I know that ceramic has the “insulator” trait and sandstone doesn’t. I can’t remember exactly what that does but I think it’s important.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Ok I just checked:

Ceramic: 0.620
Igneous: 2.0
Insulated Igneous: 0.02
Insulated Ceramic: 0.006

Ok, so insulated ceramic is a pretty good insulator. Regular ceramic is pretty mediocre as insulator, and insulated anything is better than ceramic. Science!

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

i have a hard time transiting my colonies from the late early-game to the mid-game. What I mean by this is that algae is starting to run out, and I'm at the point where i need to really start expanding into the slime. I've got a washroom set up at this point and have divided my power grid (two cost generators hooked to smart batteries and transformers). i have a hard time setting up the SPOM electrolyzer setup because i don't know what to do with the exception hydrogen that backs up, and it never seems to provide enough oxygen to keep a base going; I have to keep relying on the deoxidizer. and the electrolyzer is more supplemental. Also at this point in my colonies, I don't have exosuits, or am just trying to get them set up. My food situation is typically ok because i haven't moved on from liceloaf. Every time I've tried to grow blossoms or dustcaps, i run into issues with heat.

With this latest update, I started a new colony, and am at that point where I find it hard to transition, and I'm using slimelung-covered algae to keep my base going while the electrolyzer is backed up. My miner is about to get slimelung with his immune system at 8%, when i barred him from going out those doors at 24%. What is the best way to start getting it off the early game smoothly? I fear i will restart this colony again this weekend.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It sounds like you're missing some fundamental information.

- The standard SPOM setup shouldn't have issues with excess hydrogen because the hydrogen generator inside is using it up as soon as the atmo gauge at the top detects too much being present. It's set up so that it slightly produces more power than it uses. Even if you're doing something non-standard, you could throw in a filter to take hydrogen to other consumers and let the oxygen pass by your cool zone and into your base. 1 Electrolyzer will produce enough oxygen to supply 8 dupes so it isn't a supplemental thing.

- Heat is something you really have to figure out. Your power generators will produce heat, so you don't want them next to your blossom farms. Conversely, dustcaps like it hotter and living in carbon dioxide. Guess what power generators typically give off? It's a matter of positioning them for greater efficiency. Your SPOM also will be very helpful in balancing temperature.

- The germ-covered algae can be sanitized before use. Look into chlorine and its effects on bad germs. Also use the overlays more often to get a better idea of how your colony is doing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dusk Caps don't consume CO2. They just like being immersed in it. This means you don't actually have to position them near a CO2 producer or anything like that. Just fill up their room with CO2 using a gas pump and then forget about it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yes, true. I meant more to consider the different plants in relation to heat.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

User0015 posted:

Ok I just checked:

Ceramic: 0.620
Igneous: 2.0
Insulated Igneous: 0.02
Insulated Ceramic: 0.006

Ok, so insulated ceramic is a pretty good insulator. Regular ceramic is pretty mediocre as insulator, and insulated anything is better than ceramic. Science!
I realized I’m playing the beta/whatever build. Space industries I think it’s called. My numbers are igneous 1.611 and 0.016 and ceramic 0.334 and 0.003. Still the same general concept, but ceramic looks a bit better.

Also pakman , this may save you some short-term frustration and wasted time — you have to pump a lot of oxygen into exosuit docks. You may not want to bother with them until your oxygen production is solid.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The advice you guys gave me really helped. On cycle 35 right now, 5 dupes, plenty of oxygen supply, perfect carbon dioxide management (though sometimes CO2 pools in certain rooms and refuses to fall to the lowest point where the scrubber is, even though I put airflow tiles in the right places, should I pump the CO2 instead?) and a chef churning out food keeping them all fed.

One quick question though, is job mastery / mastery percentage saved even if you swap dupes to another job?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Sillybones posted:

Besides heatdeath, what late-game issues should I be looking out for? I've got food, water, oxygen and heat (I think) all managed.

To answer my own question: Hoard shell fragments and probably over-produce them too.

For general tips, coal generators with a smart battery are OP. Get a few hatches going and it seems to just work and last forever. I never found a time where I needed to consider other power generation except to clear excess gasses.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Qubee posted:

The advice you guys gave me really helped. On cycle 35 right now, 5 dupes, plenty of oxygen supply, perfect carbon dioxide management (though sometimes CO2 pools in certain rooms and refuses to fall to the lowest point where the scrubber is, even though I put airflow tiles in the right places, should I pump the CO2 instead?) and a chef churning out food keeping them all fed.

One quick question though, is job mastery / mastery percentage saved even if you swap dupes to another job?
Once they've mastered a job they keep all the perks from it even if you switch them to another job. I'm not entirely sure if they keep the % if you switch them early.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I think I hosed my best colony yet. got really far in terms of research, it was self sufficient with 7 dupes, automated farming. but all my wires kept breaking because there was just too much load on them. I placed a bunch of heavi-watt wires then realised my dupes were going mental from the decor hit. I'd have to redesign my entire base so I can build maintenance tunnels to house the heavi-watt wires and avoid the decor hit.

I saved and quit, it's a job for another day. way too much work to tackle atm. I've got vertical ladder shafts, and I'd have to build a 2x2 maintenance hallway around the outside of my base and it would take an hour or so to complete. I'm going to have to deconstruct so much stuff and reposition a bunch of rooms.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Consider isolating your grid into smaller segments so you won't need the heavy watt wires. Instead of running all your transformers into a single line, do one line per transformer.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I'll upload an album of screenshots later today after work of my current base.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How do people handle ranching? I'm very bad at it. Is there a trick to running omelettes on repeat while keeping enough eggs for replacements?

Also why aren't mushroom omelettes a thing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Splicer posted:

How do people handle ranching? I'm very bad at it. Is there a trick to running omelettes on repeat while keeping enough eggs for replacements?

Also why aren't mushroom omelettes a thing.

I haven’t found a way to automate ranching. My hatcheries become overcrowded regularly as each hatch lays an egg every 25 cycles. But there isn’t a way to convert those eggs to omelettes without risking a reduction in your herd size, since hatches don’t live forever. It’s hard to explain.

Fortunately you can set a max for number of hatches and have the surplus auto wrangles. I release those back to the wild.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

enraged_camel posted:

I haven’t found a way to automate ranching. My hatcheries become overcrowded regularly as each hatch lays an egg every 25 cycles. But there isn’t a way to convert those eggs to omelettes without risking a reduction in your herd size, since hatches don’t live forever. It’s hard to explain.

Fortunately you can set a max for number of hatches and have the surplus auto wrangles. I release those back to the wild.

You mean you release those to a lower-priority critter drop-off in your automated drowning pit with an auto-sweeper to bring the meat to the BBQ.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nah, I have no use for meat, whereas wild creatures still generate a bit of coal on their own and lay one egg throughout their lifetime.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

enraged_camel posted:

You can do it with a type you don't actually want, ie. feed hatches so they have a possibility of laying stone hatch eggs and then auto cook only those eggs. It's still possible that you'll get unlucky and they'll die off but it should last you a while.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

enraged_camel posted:

Dusk Caps don't consume CO2. They just like being immersed in it. This means you don't actually have to position them near a CO2 producer or anything like that. Just fill up their room with CO2 using a gas pump and then forget about it.

I just put my dusk caps into a pit and it fills with co2 soon enough, no pumping needed. Line it with mesh tiles on top.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

misguided rage posted:

You can do it with a type you don't actually want, ie. feed hatches so they have a possibility of laying stone hatch eggs and then auto cook only those eggs. It's still possible that you'll get unlucky and they'll die off but it should last you a while.
Oh good thinking. I'll try that.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Qubee posted:

, automated farming.

Wha?

How do you automate farming?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

User0015 posted:

Wha?

How do you automate farming?

You use hydroponic tiles (if necessary) for watering, and conveyors and autosweepers to deliver dirt / slime, and pick up the harvested material. The duplicants still have to go into the farm and do the thingy where they blast the food off the plant -- but training somebody as a farmer makes them both really fast at that and prioritize it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Qubee posted:

I think I hosed my best colony yet. got really far in terms of research, it was self sufficient with 7 dupes, automated farming. but all my wires kept breaking because there was just too much load on them. I placed a bunch of heavi-watt wires then realised my dupes were going mental from the decor hit. I'd have to redesign my entire base so I can build maintenance tunnels to house the heavi-watt wires and avoid the decor hit.

I saved and quit, it's a job for another day. way too much work to tackle atm. I've got vertical ladder shafts, and I'd have to build a 2x2 maintenance hallway around the outside of my base and it would take an hour or so to complete. I'm going to have to deconstruct so much stuff and reposition a bunch of rooms.

Or just cut everything into smaller circuits and leave the heavi-watt stuff in your power plant/transformer rooms. Here's a shot from an earlier base of mine:

I used to have Heavi-Watt going all around the base, hidden in walls too then I realized how much of a waste of metal that was.

enraged_camel posted:

Heck only the bottom tile of the farm room has to be in CO2. If you make the room's doors 1 tile above the ground you can keep a layer of CO2 for the dusk caps while breathable air for your dupes sits up on top.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks for that pic, it helps a lot and I'm going to do this: keep heavi-watt in the power plant and just make separate circuits for everything else. One thing I can't wrap my head around are the transformers. They don't seem to prevent wires from overloading. I wire up a bunch of machines (usually from two or three adjacent rooms) that come to about 1900W draw if they all run at the same time, and the transformer does nothing to lower electricity to prevent this.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Make sure you are not accidentally feeding wires from two small transformers into the same circuit. The small transformers seem to prevent overloading most of the time and only every now and then allow it to happen (for some reason).

How do you set the critters to auto-wrangle?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Checkbox and slider at the top of the critter drop off machine info box.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So I originally thought that a hatch farm would give you unlimited coal, making coal a sufficient power source for the entire game. It seems I wasn't entirely correct.

I'm on cycle 300 with my new base, and have two hatch farms, with 16 hatches total. And let me tell you, they have almost completely consumed the sandstone that I dug up in my starting biome. Fortunately I noticed this in time and switched to sedimentary rock, of which I have enough to last me another 400 cycles or so. But the rate of consumption is still such that you can't just forget about it forever.

Fortunately, I just finished setting up a petroleum generator, which will supply a cool 3000 W of energy once beefed up by an electrical engineer. That's about ten percent more than my 3 coal generators combined, and should require one third the refined metal too and generate a lot less heat, which is good. What is really nice however is that a single petroleum generator generates enough polluted water to feed 12 pincha pepper plants.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Do hatches eat regolith, making them functionally infinite? Or will they always be finite?

Not that it matters too much, I tend to use them in small numbers as a backup for when my natural gas generators conk out, so I don't use many hatches. They last much longer than I'll play a given map.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Volcanoes make hatch food.

Griz
May 21, 2001

pakman posted:

Also at this point in my colonies, I don't have exosuits, or am just trying to get them set up. My food situation is typically ok because i haven't moved on from liceloaf. Every time I've tried to grow blossoms or dustcaps, i run into issues with heat.
liceloaf is bad, it uses too much water. build a stove and make pickled meal which doesn't use water, or switch to blossoms. the spawn point is a light source so you can grow at least 5 blossoms next to it as soon as you get seeds.

your heat issues are probably unrelated to farming. there's a lot of hidden traps that will cook your base - don't vent the 40c output from your water sieve into your irrigation source, don't use the 70c output from a half-built SPOM as an oxygen source, don't run coal generators outside of a sealed insulated room well away from anything temperature sensitive, etc.

quote:

With this latest update, I started a new colony, and am at that point where I find it hard to transition, and I'm using slimelung-covered algae to keep my base going while the electrolyzer is backed up.
using germy algae in the deoxy-thing is actually perfectly safe. the airborne germs get everywhere, but in such small amounts that they don't even trigger auto-disinfect, and they all die off pretty much immediately on anything that isn't slime or polluted oxygen. I used dirty algae for like 20 cycles after greatly underestimating how long it would take to build the fancy SPOM from that steam guide and everyone's immune system stayed at 100% the whole time.

miners getting sick from can be prevented by sanitizing the slime biome - just mine out or block off any exposed slime as you break into new pockets, plop a deodorizer or two in there, and it'll clean itself up surprisingly fast.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

this game has really sunk it's hooks in me. I can't stop thinking about it.

any advice for exploring new biomes? I'm just about to have my exosuits set up, so I should be able to quickly expand into and seal off a large new section of base to the west, and then I figured I'll use the suits afterwards to explore further into the biomes. I don't even know what I'm looking for, how big the world is, or if there's any point to exploration.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

any advice for exploring new biomes? I'm just about to have my exosuits set up, so I should be able to quickly expand into and seal off a large new section of base to the west, and then I figured I'll use the suits afterwards to explore further into the biomes. I don't even know what I'm looking for, how big the world is, or if there's any point to exploration.

Yeah you’ll find all sorts of awesome poo poo. Just keep digging! And get everyone up to exosuit engineer if you can, it makes the suits way more powerful.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Qubee posted:

Well eventually you'll need more resources, and you get a lot of useful things from other biomes; iron so that you can save your copper for exosuits, clay to make ceramic for insulation, slime to grow mushrooms, wolframite to build better heat exchange systems, etc. Plus you'll want to find all the geysers/volcanos/vents sooner rather than later so you know what you have to work with. Exosuits aren't necessary to start out, just put down a door so that gas exchange with your base is limited and make sure to dump air purifiers in areas with slimelung. The main benefit to setting up exosuit checkpoints is that your dupes spend less time running back and forth trying to find oxygen and more time on productive work.

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
Correct me if I'm wrong, but do exo suits care about oxygen temperature? Seems like a good idea to setup a minor second electrolysis setup so it doesn't confuse your base air circulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
My opinion is that you want to go straight for exosuits before doing any real exploring outside the base. Too much micro and inefficiency otherwise.