Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
There have been in the past but google is aggressive as gently caress about it. I used to have one but google came after the developer and they issued an update that removed that functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pomplamoose posted:

Are there any non subscription based apps that play audio from youtube without the video?

Try Musi: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/musi-simple-music-streaming/id591560124?mt=8

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone recommend an alternative to Google Calendar on iOS? It looks like they will never implement persistent icons for anything which makes reminders pretty much useless if you don’t happen to see them first time.

I would just use my google calendar through the stock apps but that’s two apps (calendar and reminders) where I would prefer one.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Red_Fred posted:

Can anyone recommend an alternative to Google Calendar on iOS? It looks like they will never implement persistent icons for anything which makes reminders pretty much useless if you don’t happen to see them first time.

I would just use my google calendar through the stock apps but that’s two apps (calendar and reminders) where I would prefer one.

Fantastical.

Fantastical 2 for iPhone by Flexibits Inc. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fantastical-2-for-iphone/id718043190?mt=8

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Pomplamoose posted:

Are there any non subscription based apps that play audio from youtube without the video?

Technically you can use Youtube Music without a subscription, you just have to have the app open.

Conversely you could try not expecting everyone to give you stuff for free, and, you know, subscribe...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

XBenedict posted:

Conversely you could try not expecting everyone to give you stuff for free, and, you know, subscribe...

Lol ok dude, it used to be easy to keep YouTube playing in the background and they locked it down for no other reason than to make it a revenue stream. Kneel at the altar of capital you fuckin schmucks.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Lol ok dude, it used to be easy to keep YouTube playing in the background and they locked it down for no other reason than to make it a revenue stream. Kneel at the altar of capital you fuckin schmucks.

I'm nothing like a Capitalist. I expect the government to give me everything for free, not Google, and certainly not the artist that spent their time creating it. You expect to be paid for the work YOU do, so quit being a loving freeloader and stiffing the other guy.

It always amuses me when I see a review or tweet basically saying "I'M NOT USING YOUR FREE SERVICE ANY MOAR BECAUSE YOU WON'T DO WUT I WANT!" Who is that for? What are you even threatening?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

XBenedict posted:

I'm nothing like a Capitalist. I expect the government to give me everything for free, not Google, and certainly not the artist that spent their time creating it. You expect to be paid for the work YOU do, so quit being a loving freeloader and stiffing the other guy.

It always amuses me when I see a review or tweet basically saying "I'M NOT USING YOUR FREE SERVICE ANY MOAR BECAUSE YOU WON'T DO WUT I WANT!" Who is that for? What are you even threatening?

People pay these things called taxes, btw

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only offensive part about youtube's no background schtick is that it pesters you to upgrade to red every loving time you switch back.

Fine, monetize your poo poo. But if I said no once, I'm probably going to continue to say no the next thousand times so stop asking.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

It now seems like an awkward time to ask if there is a free alternative...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

XBenedict posted:

Valued Poster,

Replies to forums user THE KIMOA KID are now subject to a $9.99 surcharge. Please arrange payment accordingly.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Red_Fred posted:

It now seems like an awkward time to ask if there is a free alternative...

Apple Calendars
Microsoft Outlook (I’m serious)
Readdle Calendars 5

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Fantastical is great, highly recommend it.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks!

XBenedict posted:

Technically you can use Youtube Music without a subscription, you just have to have the app open.

Not all streaming services require a subscripion. Some still make money from free users with ads you smarmy dweeb.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Red_Fred posted:

I like CCal and my wife uses BusyCal.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pomplamoose posted:

Not all streaming services require a subscripion. Some still make money from free users with ads you smarmy dweeb.

Then stop using Youtube as a music streaming service and use an actual, free streaming music service :shrug:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
By no subscription I thought you meant on the app, like you were complaining about the subscription model. I can understand people not wanting to subscribe for apps as opposed to buying outright. But no you’re talking about paying subscriptions to the actual entertainment service, as in you want it all to be free? Haha okay.

e: v “desperate to monetize YouTube”? Do you expect google to just offer YouTube for free with no strings attached?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 26, 2018

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I don’t think it’s crazy-after all you can let YouTube play in the background of a desktop PC for the same functionality. It sucks that google is so desperate to monetize YouTube.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Just lmao at defending Alphabet like it's a fuckin small business, they have more more money than god

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
if google makes its money via advertising just make it so that you can’t skip ads when YouTube is running in the background, or pay for Red or whatever to have no ads

It’s not complicated to think of an alternate solution to the issue that doesn’t require you to carp for one of the wealthiest and pervasive corporations on the planet, lmao

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
This is actually a really stupid problem for all of us to have and argue over because any and every other OS out there allows for what they want to do.

But apple just works!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

This is actually a really stupid problem for all of us to have and argue over because any and every other OS out there allows for what they want to do.

But apple just works!

It's not even remotely an Apple problem lmfao

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

The Kimoa Kid posted:

It's not even remotely an Apple problem lmfao

Lots of laughing going on from you, mister.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Just lmao at defending Alphabet like it's a fuckin small business, they have more more money than god

Just lmao at thinking you're some radical anti-capitalist while all the while stealing the labor of other people. That's literally the most capitalist thing.

Edit: I'm having a lovely grammar day.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

XBenedict posted:

Just lmao at thinking your some radical anti-capitalist while all the while stealing the labor of other people. That's literally the most capitalist thing.

Who's labor am I steeling? What even are you talking about? It used to be very possible to let YouTube play audio in the background, then Google blocked this for the sole purpose of spinning it off into their stupid paid service that no one would otherwise pay for. It's literally nothing more than a made up revenue stream.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Who's labor am I steeling? What even are you talking about? It used to be very possible to let YouTube play audio in the background, then Google blocked this for the sole purpose of spinning it off into their stupid paid service that no one would otherwise pay for. It's literally nothing more than a made up revenue stream.

Figure it out yourself, Mr. "Google is the only one making money on this". https://www.ascap.com/help/royalties-and-payment/make-money-youtube

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

XBenedict posted:

Figure it out yourself, Mr. "Google is the only one making money on this". https://www.ascap.com/help/royalties-and-payment/make-money-youtube

You seriously, 100% believe that all that money is going straight to artists? Or that Google doesn't have more than enough money to reimburse artists via all their god drat ads and the piles of personal data they've collected from every human on the planet?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Ok. Take a deep breath and realize that is entirely possible to have this functionality on your desktop with the monitor turned off. Google and the artist still make money off the ads that would play. Google has chose to deny you this option on iOS and instead muscle you into their subscription service.

No one is arguing this is illegal, but it is inconvenient.

From time to time App Store apps pop up that circumvent this restriction, but google does come down hard on them. So if you find one, janitor your phone to make sure it doesn’t get updated to worthlessness.

Namaste.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

The Kimoa Kid posted:

You seriously, 100% believe that all that money is going straight to artists? Or that Google doesn't have more than enough money to reimburse artists via all their god drat ads and the piles of personal data they've collected from every human on the planet?

No, but some of it does. That's the point. You're not some loving modern day Robin Hood. You're just douchebag that thinks that feels entitled to someone else's work for free.

Yes, they make money from the ads, but you make the choice to utilize that system. You may use feel free to subscribe to a pay service and that problem goes away.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

XBenedict posted:

No, but some of it does. That's the point. You're not some loving modern day Robin Hood. You're just douchebag that thinks that feels entitled to someone else's work for free.

Yes, they make money from the ads, but you make the choice to utilize that system. You may use feel free to subscribe to a pay service and that problem goes away.

No one here is talking about what you're talking about. Google has taken a basic feature of YouTube that used to work fine and locked it behind a paywall for the sole purpose of squeezing more revenue out of a business that already makes billions. You are not taking a cent away from artists by trying to circumvent that. This has nothing to do with artists, period, end of discussion. You entirely fabricated that aspect of this discussion, probably because you are too mad to just say "oh sorry I was wrong."

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

El_Elegante posted:

Ok. Take a deep breath and realize that is entirely possible to have this functionality on your desktop with the monitor turned off. Google and the artist still make money off the ads that would play. Google has chose to deny you this option on iOS and instead muscle you into their subscription service.

No one is arguing this is illegal, but it is inconvenient.

Out of curiosity, is there an Android app that allows it? That would border on an antitrust problem...

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
At the risk of looking dumb I’d bet a dollar it exists. Probably not available on the google play store, though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

El_Elegante posted:

At the risk of looking dumb I’d bet a dollar it exists. Probably not available on the google play store, though.

I think the *official* YouTube app was meant. That's the only way it might possibly be in anti-trust territory.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gaj70 posted:

Out of curiosity, is there an Android app that allows it? That would border on an antitrust problem...

YouTube Vanced or NewPipe can be sideloaded. No ads, allows background play, &c.

Side loading is the only thing I miss about android.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Having just come over from Android, I'm looking for recommendations for an alarm clock app, something with functionality similar to AM Droid, that can at least do a gradual wakeup and customize the snooze duration.

I'd also like something like Smart Sound Profiles for Android that will let me set different durations for do not disturb mode based on the day of the week, but it looks like that might be wishful thinking.

Thanks! :cheers:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Luceo posted:

Having just come over from Android, I'm looking for recommendations for an alarm clock app, something with functionality similar to AM Droid, that can at least do a gradual wakeup and customize the snooze duration.

I'd also like something like Smart Sound Profiles for Android that will let me set different durations for do not disturb mode based on the day of the week, but it looks like that might be wishful thinking.

Thanks! :cheers:

Bedtime within the Clock app if that’s similar enough? I use it and I get up on schedule every day.

To the poors, yes it’s free.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

So I got this but it turns out that Google Tasks don’t natively work with iOS. Is there something I’m missing here? I’ve been searching for the answer but it seems like there isn’t one unless I start using iCal reminders instead of google.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

So I got this but it turns out that Google Tasks don’t natively work with iOS. Is there something I’m missing here? I’ve been searching for the answer but it seems like there isn’t one unless I start using iCal reminders instead of google.

Unfamiliar with Google Tasks. Wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t use CalDAV which would probably be the cause.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Red_Fred posted:

You can blame google for using a proprietary protocol. Google says there’s a stand-alone Google Tasks app though.

quote:

It looks like they will never implement persistent icons for anything which makes reminders pretty much useless if you don’t happen to see them first time.

Not really sure what this means. Reminders will show up and stay in the notifications pull down if you ignore it. Pretty sure you can also force touch it and “snooze” it for 15/60 minutes or at least you can on a Mac.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I realize this isn’t an ios question but I’m going to ask anyway:

So I work for a company that doesn’t allow non company phones to sync with their exchange servers, and I don’t have a company phone (and don’t want one) so it’s really annoying to need to rely on my laptop to see cal events. Is there anyway to automatically duplicate calendar events with a new calendar that syncs to my phone? A one time sync seems easy but I’m not sure how to do something that stays up to date.