Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Capture the grandma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“We better try to capture the alien,” you decide. “It’s the only way we’ll be able to get someone to believe us.”

“And help us,” Andrew adds with a shudder. “But how?”

“There are three of us and only one alien,” Sophie points out. “Maybe we can knock her out and lock her up.”

It’s the best idea anyone can come up with. “You two hide in the garage,” you instruct your friends. “I’ll find some way to lure Grandma there. Then you’ll jump her. That way, we have surprise on our side.”

“Sounds good,” Andrew says. Sophie nods in agreement.

The three of you rush to the garage. You drum your fingers on the door, trying to think of a way to get Grandma to follow the plan.

What would attract Grandma’s attention? you wonder. Then it hits you. The roses! Of course! She’ll definitely come running if something threatens her precious roses.

You grab the garden hose and turn it on full blast. Then you drag the spurting hose out to the rose garden. You shove it in a large bush. Water sprays everywhere.

“Grandma!” you shout. “Come quick! The roses are drowning!”

quote:

“Grandma!” you call again louder. “The roses!”

Grandma dashes toward you. She spots the hose and yanks it out of the bush. It gushes water.

“We have to turn it off in the garage,” you tell her. “And I don’t think I’m strong enough.”

Grandma eyes you suspiciously. “Hmm,” she murmurs.

But she heads for the garage.

You follow right behind her, with your fingers crossed.

Grandma enters the dark garage. You hold your breath.

“Eeeeyah!” Sophie shrieks and leaps down from a stack of cartons. She lands right on top of Grandma.

Andrew hurls himself onto the struggling pair. Sophie squeezes out from under Grandma and Andrew. Andrew wraps Grandma in your badminton net as they roll over and over.

You rush over. You and Sophie hold Grandma as Andrew wiggles out of the net.

Grandma stops struggling. “You never would have gotten away with this if it weren’t for this dinky human disguise!” she snarls. “You humans are so weak.”

You drape your bicycle chain around her and snap the lock shut. “But we got the best of you!” you retort.

quote:

You, Sophie, and Andrew run out of the garage.

“We did it!” Sophie cries. “We actually captured an alien!”

“We’ll be heroes!” Andrew crows.

But you can’t join in the celebration. You’ve just thought of something. Something terrifying.

Sophie and Andrew dance around on the lawn. Then they notice your face.

“What’s wrong with you?” Andrew demands. “We had a great plan and it worked perfectly. We got the alien!”

“Yes, we did,” you say slowly. “But there are still all of those.” You point to the rose garden.

The rose garden filled with purple pulsing eggs.

“Grandma called the roses her babies!” you explain. “Those must be her alien children. And I think they’re about to hatch!”

Sophie gasps. “If they hatch, we’ll be totally outnumbered.”

“Should we call the authorities right now?” you ask them. “Or do we figure out something to do with the eggs?”

Andrew and Sophie don’t say a word. They just stare at you.

So it’s up to you.

Call the authorities on PAGE 49.

Deal with the eggs on PAGE 115.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/2

Bad Endings
Ran face-first into the back of a garbage truck.
Eaten by a giant carnivorous rose.

Achievements
False Start: Got a bad ending on our first choice of the book.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Get the eggs.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Deal with the eggs

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Definitely go for the eggs. Worst case scenario, we can threaten to destroy them if the fake grandma tries to attack us.

Also, no one with respect for their time is going to come to the assistance of a bunch of kids screaming about aliens. :colbert:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Go for the eggs.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“We better do something about the eggs,” you decide. “I think Grandma will stay put for a while.”

You, Sophie, and Andrew approach the rose garden. Dozens of large purple eggs lie scattered on the ground. They’re not pulsing or glowing anymore.

“What do you think they are?” Sophie whispers.

“I don’t know,” you admit. “They could be alien food. Or alien flower bulbs...”

“Or little alien monsters waiting to hatch,” Andrew adds.

You glare at him. “Thanks for pointing that out.” You gaze back at the rows of roses, wondering what to do.

And you can’t help noticing that it’s getting dark.

“What if we stick them in the fridge?” Andrew tugs at his messy hair. “It would be too cold for them to hatch, and we can have them analyzed at a lab tomorrow.”

“Or maybe we should squash them.” You know it sounds harsh, but it might be the safest thing to do.

Which is it going to to be? Squash the eggs on PAGE 126.

Refrigerate them on PAGE 56.

Unrelated note, but does anyone else ever notice how weird it is that "fridge" is spelt with a d, but "refrigerator" isn't?

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings

Achievements

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like if we put them in the fridge, someone will wind up eating them or something.

Smush.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Put em on ice, Danno

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Smash!

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
HULK SMASH

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Just crush them.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I feel like if we put them in the fridge, someone will wind up eating them or something.

Go put the eggs in the fridge.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“You’re probably right,” Sophie says. “We should destroy the eggs.”

“Yeah,” Andrew agrees. “Better safe than sorry, I guess.”

“Do you think stepping on them will work?” Sophie asks. “They look awfully big and sturdy.”

“One way to find out,” you tell her. You stride toward one of the eggs. You lift up your foot and bring it down hard.

KA-BOOM!!!!!!!!!

Whoops.

Guess you didn’t notice the little purple land mines mixed in with the purple alien eggs. Grandma placed them in the garden to protect her babies.

Oh, well. Better luck next mine...

THE END

Because the best way to defend your extremely fragile eggs is to surround them with heavy explosives that can potentially be triggered by a wandering squirrel.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Blown to bits by a bioengineered alien land mine.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Ask for help decoding the message.
  • Jump onto the train before it pulls out.
  • Introduce your friends to Grandma.
  • Search Grandma's room.
  • Find and rescue your real Grandma.
  • Call the authorities right away.
  • Refrigerate the eggs.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

A-alright then.

Search grandma's room!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Snipee posted:

Go put the eggs in the fridge.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I actually like this book so far. As a kid, I would have probably found the idea of a family member being replaced by an alien at least a little unnerving.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Android Blues posted:

I actually like this book so far. As a kid, I would have probably found the idea of a family member being replaced by an alien at least a little unnerving.

I remember this one mainly because it was referenced in one of those Goosebumps quizzes in one of my favorite later books, and so I thought it sounded amazing just from the title and begged my mom nonstop for months until we finally found a library with a copy, and then I wound up massively disappointed since it wasn't nearly as cool as I'd built it up to be in my head. On an unrelated note, I think that begging was the main reason my parents wound up putting the Goosebumps series on their list of things I was no longer allowed to read, right alongside Captain Underpants and Calvin and Hobbes.

Pointless personal anecdote aside, we're tied again. Next vote for searching Grandma's room or refrigerating the eggs takes it.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Chill out, eggs!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“Refrigeration is the way to go,” you decide.

You, Sophie, and Andrew gather up the eggs. It takes you each three trips to get them all into the house.

By eating the leftover plate of chicken, throwing out the brussels sprouts, and rearranging the milk and juice, you manage to fit all the eggs into the refrigerator. By the time you’re done, it’s dark outside.

“Uh, guys,” you say to Sophie and Andrew. “Not that I’m scared or anything, but would you mind sleeping over?”

They must understand how you’re feeling. They don’t even tease you. They just exchange a nervous look and say yes.

The next morning the sun streams through your bedroom window. You stretch, wiggling your toes and fingers.

Then you freeze. Your heart pounds hard in your chest.

Noises. Noises downstairs.

quote:

You leap out of bed, trying to avoid stepping on Sophie and Andrew in their sleeping bags. “Wake up!” you whisper. “There’s something moving around downstairs.”

Sophie’s eyes widen. “Grandma!”

“The eggs!” Andrew gulps.

You, Sophie, and Andrew sneak downstairs. You huddle outside the kitchen door. “On three,” you instruct them. “One. Two.” Your voice shakes with fear.

You gulp. “Three!”

With a shout, the three of you charge into the kitchen.

quote:

You tear across the linoleum...

And smash right into your mom!

She shrieks and drops a plate of scrambled eggs. Your dad jumps up from the table, scattering his newspaper.

“Mom! Dad! What are you doing here?” you demand.

“I got an emergency call from work,” Mom explains, cleaning up the mess. “That’s what I told you on the phone at the train station, remember? So we cut our trip short. We just got in half an hour ago. We didn’t want to wake you. Where’s Grandma?”

You sneak a peek at Sophie and Andrew. “Uh – I guess she’s still sleeping,” you mumble.

Well, it might be true. Even if she is sleeping in the garage.

“Sit down, kids,” your mom commands. “I made a huge breakfast.”

Excellent! You, Sophie, and Andrew wolf down three big plates of scrambled eggs. Even your dad, who usually only has coffee in the morning, manages to finish a second helping.

“Funny,” he says. “I can’t stop eating these eggs.”

You suddenly have trouble swallowing.

quote:

“Mom?” you ask. “Where did you get the eggs?”

You aren’t happy when you hear the answer.

“From the refrigerator, silly,” she tells you. She scoops up another forkful. “Did you buy them? They weren’t there when we left.”

You gaze at Sophie, then at Andrew. Then you stare down at your plate of food.

“Were they, uh, kind of unusual looking?” you ask your mom.

“Come to think of it, they were rather large.” She thinks for a moment. “And a strange color.”

Your stomach does a flip-flop.

You’ve been eating the alien eggs!

Have you ever heard the expression, “You are what you eat”?

You’re about to find out how true it really is!

THE END

Points to Hobgoblin2099 for guessing what would happen if we refrigerated the eggs. Though I would like to know how you make scrambled eggs without realizing the eggs you're using are giant and purple.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Blown to bits by a bioengineered alien land mine.
:siren:Accidentally ate the alien eggs with implied disastrous results.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Search Grandma's room.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, that route ended disastrously both ways.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Search grandma's room!

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Uh, didn't expect that.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Search Grandma's room

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

rudecyrus posted:

Search Grandma's room

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
They were purple, lol. Anyways,

rudecyrus posted:

Search Grandma's room

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“This would be a good chance to find out more about Grandma,” you tell Sophie and Andrew. “Let’s search her room.”

“Right, chief.” Sophie salutes you.

You all trudge up to Grandma’s room. The door is shut.

Glancing around, you quickly turn the doorknob. Then the three of you slip inside.

You gaze around the room. It just looks like an ordinary bedroom.

Andrew fidgets beside you. “We should hurry,” he urges. “I don’t want to get caught in here.”

He’s right.

But where do you begin?

To search the closets, turn to PAGE 62.

To look under the bed, turn to PAGE 76.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Accidentally ate the alien eggs with implied disastrous results.

Achievements

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The last time we hid under a bed, I think we were eaten by a sludge monster, right?

Hide under the bed.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
We’re here to search the room, so we might as well start with the closet.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Closet!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Bed

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Bed. Lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place, right? (It totally does)

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

AceOfFlames posted:

Bed. Lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place, right? (It totally does)

As a matter of fact...

quote:

You kneel down to peer under the bed. “No wonder Grandma’s suitcases were so heavy,” you remark. “There’s a lot of junk under here.”

Sophie and Andrew help you drag stuff out from under the bed. But you can’t figure out what any of it is! Strange boxes that don’t seem to open. Bottles filled with strange liquids. You examine something that looks like a laptop computer. The keys have weird squiggles instead of letters.

The only things you recognize are the two empty suitcases.

“What are these things?” Sophie asks. You shake your head. You reach for the computer-like object.

And freeze!

Footsteps!

quote:

There’s barely room under the bed for all of Grandma’s things and the three of you. But somehow you fit.

“You’re squashing me!” Sophie complains.

“Shh!” you hiss.

From under the bed, you can see Grandma’s shoes enter the room. She kicks them off. Then she moves to a corner of the room you can’t see. But you can hear her humming to herself.

A moment later you see a bizarre sight!

You still hear Grandma. But what you see is a long, purple, scaly tail!

You’re so startled, you gasp.

Sophie and Andrew immediately clap their hands over your mouth.

quote:

“Out! Now!” Grandma rasps.

She heard you.

You and your friends crawl out from under the bed.

You gaze at the horrifying creature in front of you. Grandma’s human face is shoved up on top of her head, as if it were a Halloween mask. In its place is an oozing blob of flesh. A single yellow eye gleams in the center.

“Interfering fools!” the Grandma-creature booms. “Now I will have to destroy you ahead of schedule!”

Before you can protest, the creature spits at you.

Gross! A long, sticky strand of saliva flies out of her mouth. It attaches to your forehead and wraps around Sophie’s and Andrew’s heads. It burns where it touches your skin.

“Yuck!” Sophie shrieks.

The creature spits over and over again. The strands are like a spider’s web. Soon, you and your friends are completely encased in a sticky cocoon. You can’t see a thing.

“You can’t escape the pod,” the creature informs you. “And the acid in the web will eat through your flesh.”

You hear her leave the room.

This is one sticky situation you can’t get out of. So this must be

THE END.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Caught spying and cocooned in acidic webbing.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Search the closets.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Why do we keep calling the alien grandma?

Into the closet!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Get back in with R. Kelly

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Get back in with R. Kelly

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You stride to one of the closets. “This seems like a good place to start,” you announce. You fling open the door.

And gasp!

“What is it?” Sophie asks, her voice trembling.

You turn to her, a terrified look on your face. “Grandma’s other clothes are even uglier than her purple-and-yellow outfit!”

Sophie punches your arm. “That’s not funny!”

Andrew laughs. “Yeah, it is!” He steps into the closet and pushes aside the row of clothes hanging from the rod.

And gasps.

You snort. “Andrew, we’re not going to fall for that now!”

“It wasn’t funny the first time!” Sophie adds.

“I’m not being funny,” Andrew tells you. He points to the back of the closet.

You peer beyond him. There, sitting on the shelves, is a shoebox overflowing with... hands.

Human hands!

quote:

You reach toward the box of hands. Your stomach lurches, but you have to find out if they’re real.

Your fingers gently poke at the flesh.

Rubber!

You let out a huge sigh. “They’re fake!” you exclaim.

“That doesn’t explain why they’re here,” Sophie points out.

Andrew searches the closet over by the window. “There are feet in this closet,” he tells you.

Before you can go over to look, you hear footsteps on the stairs.

Grandma!

“Quick! We have to get out of here!” You whisper hoarsely. The footsteps are coming closer.

“If we leave now,” Sophie says, “she’ll see us!”

Sophie is right.

Your eyes desperately scan the room for a place to hide. Or a way out. Your gaze lands on the window.

Do you dare?

Or should you pop into the closet?

To go out through the window, turn to PAGE 106.

To hide in the closet, turn to PAGE 82.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Caught spying and cocooned in acidic webbing.

Achievements

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Hide.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“In here!” you hiss. You, Andrew, and Sophie pile into the closet. You yank the door shut behind you just as the bedroom door bursts open.

You can hear Grandma bustling about in the room.

Please don’t look in the closet, you think over and over. Please don’t look in the closet!

Sophie has her hand over her mouth. Andrew’s eyes are shut.

After a few tense moments, you hear the door open and close again. You glance at Sophie and Andrew. Sophie shrugs. Andrew opens his eyes and nods.

You take a deep breath and open the door.

quote:

All clear!

Sophie pulls out one of the shoe boxes from the closet. “She’s got other stuff in here too,” she informs you. She holds up a wig. Andrew reaches in and pulls out a mask.

It looks exactly like your mother!

You feel your own very real face go pale. “Why would Grandma have something like that?” you ask.

“Hey, look at this!” Sophie holds up a pile of newspaper clippings. “They’re all about the meteor shower tonight.”

“I don’t get it!” you wail. “None of this makes any sense. Why would Grandma have these things? Why is she obsessed with the rose garden? And those clippings! What is up with all this?”

“I think you should go ask her,” Sophie suggests.

“Are you nuts?” Andrew scoffs. “We should wait until the meteor shower and see if she does something.”

Follow Sophie's advice and ask Grandma "What's up?" on PAGE 125.

Wait and see what happens during the meteor shower on PAGE 5.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Caught spying and cocooned in acidic webbing.

Achievements