Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ThingOne posted:

I want to see what they do with Pigbarter, the weird greenskin/human shantytown in the southern Dark Lands.

Non-violent interaction between humans and greenskins in Warhammer is one of the really compelling "you could actually make a half-decent story out of this" ideas.

It is confirmed to happen but it's so rarely depicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, CA really leaned into it, making 'Runners look even more ninjalike and giving them shurikens.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Non-violent interaction between humans and greenskins in Warhammer is one of the really compelling "you could actually make a half-decent story out of this" ideas.

It is confirmed to happen but it's so rarely depicted.

Brought together by the fine sport of pig-jousting.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ThingOne posted:

And protected by owl policemen.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

ThingOne posted:

Somewhere in Couronne, Louen Leoncoeur's moustache twitches, and without another word he leaves his kingdom, knowing what he must do.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I dont know posted:

Somewhere in Couronne, Louen Leoncoeur's moustache twitches, and without another word he leaves his kingdom, knowing what he must do.

I could see pig-jousting being incredibly popular with the Bretonnian peasantry.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 25, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ThingOne posted:

I could see pig-jousting being incredibly popular with the Bretonnian peasantry.

Bretonnian peasants aren't allowed to have real weapons. :v: Any sort of ranged weapon doesn't count as a real weapon to the nobles.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Bretonnian peasants aren't allowed to have real weapons. :v: Any sort of ranged weapon doesn't count as a real weapon to the nobles.

yeronner, it's a swineherds crook. loik a shepherds crook. just bigger. and pointier.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Cythereal posted:

It’s not like the Gnoblars have real weapons either :v:. All you need is a couple of kids, some brooms, and pigs and you’ve got a fun-filled feast day afternoon.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
chivalry disdains mercenaries, but on occasion, the lords of Brettonia will enlist the services of local peasants to bolster their numbers. those who perform well may be granted wealth beyond the usual peasants wildest dreams!

for example, the time a few hundred "shepherds" appeared shortly after a tilean mercenary company went missing somewhere near carcassonne, and were rewarded approximately standard combat pay rates for said tilean mercenary company following Brettonia's noble victory. also they got to keep the one sheep they were given to keep up appearances.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Quick survey, but what actual historical period would be best for Cathay to emulate? Empire is great because the pike & shot era has the widest variety of weapons and units to pick from (and the most stylish uniforms). Is there an analogue in Chinese history?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon era.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

The Spring and Autumn Period/ 7 Warring States Period with some twists would be good from a Total War perspective. Make the player a warlord within the empire jockeying for power while currying favor with the Dragon Emperor for bonuses. I’m thinking he should be a bit aloof and not really care if the lords under him use their personal forces to fight each other as long as they contribute to the defense of the realm as a whole.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 26, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If I was designing it, I'd look to the Song Dynasty for inspiration. You've got the highly advanced (relatively speaking) empire in decline and under constant siege by barbarians forces. They're on the verge of entering a new age with experimental gunpowder weaponry and arguably the first early modern economy. There was a badass kung fu general who almost turned it around but was killed by a scheming corrupt official. That already sounds like a Warhammer setting tbh.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Triskelli posted:

Quick survey, but what actual historical period would be best for Cathay to emulate? Empire is great because the pike & shot era has the widest variety of weapons and units to pick from (and the most stylish uniforms). Is there an analogue in Chinese history?

I think the earliest gunpowder period in the 12th century would offer some cool as hell units like Cathay grenadiers, fire lance spear troops (basically a blunderbuss shotgun that was fired off before charging with the spear), and explosive arrows. You could add some flavor to the grenadiers by having them use some sort of Ketchum grenade with a blasting cap at the tip that can be swung and hurled by a streamer that ensures the blasting cap hits the ground and the grenade goes off on impact. Basically an explosive Comet Ball.

Some other cool weapons or troops would be repeating crossbows and zhanmadao "Horse Beheading Swords."

Mix in some recurve bow horse archer skirmishers and assorted light cav and that would be a pretty good core of human troops that could be supported by more exotic monstrous or construct units.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

I think the earliest gunpowder period in the 12th century would offer some cool as hell units like Cathay grenadiers, fire lance spear troops (basically a blunderbuss shotgun that was fired off before charging with the spear), and explosive arrows. You could add some flavor to the grenadiers by having them use some sort of Ketchum grenade with a blasting cap at the tip that can be swung and hurled by a streamer that ensures the blasting cap hits the ground and the grenade goes off on impact. Basically an explosive Comet Ball.

Some other cool weapons or troops would be repeating crossbows and zhanmadao "Horse Beheading Swords."

Mix in some recurve bow horse archer skirmishers and assorted light cav and that would be a pretty good core of human troops that could be supported by more exotic monstrous or construct units.

Now I'm disappointed this won't be in TW3, it sounds so cool.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's even some precedence in the fluff for Cathayan vampire counts, an offshoot of the Lahmian line that's been mentioned in a few books.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Only if they hop around like those dorky jiangshi vampires.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Not specifically Cathay related but holding the entire Silk Road should give absurd economic bonuses.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Cathay siege.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

AngryBooch posted:

Yeah, Cathay should definitely be a gunpowder faction, kudos if they combine it with magic. High armoured, unbreakable terracotta soldiers with firearms. :gettin:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mantis42 posted:

Only if they hop around like those dorky jiangshi vampires.

Yes.

HELL YES

Blamzor
Jul 10, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Empire Captain named Dagobert Dog-Burglar has got to be the best named hero I've seen yet.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
How about we get Dogs, Araby, and Amazons before begging for Cathay...

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I just want Vampirates to release already before this thread eats itself alive by way of ever increasing Game Three darkhorse faction speculation.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It does seem like CA had a weirdly accelerated/front-loaded news cycle for this DLC.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Warhammer Fantasy is brighter than the 30 Years War period it is based on. In the Storm of Chaos Archaon's armies killed a smaller proportion of the Empire than Karl Gustav's forces did in the HRE, and the fantasy version was not nearly as ravaged by internal religious conflicts, plagues and foreign interventions.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Chaos worship IS less odious than Calvinism, now that you mention it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mantis42 posted:

Chaos worship IS less odious than Calvinism, now that you mention it.

:eyepop:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm not sure that Warhammer has any credible census organizations.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

gently caress Calvinism. All of the brain rot, none of the cool tentacle arms.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm not sure that Warhammer has any credible census organizations.

Sigmar's Heirs for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2E has a full census of the Imperial Provinces (including numbers for the population missing or confirmed dead from the Storm) and Stone & Steel for 1st edition has another for all Dwarf Karaks. The numbers (which I saved because I GM WFRP) went to:

~310k Dwarfs living in Old World Kharaks.
~460k Humans in the Empire (post Storm of Chaos, you can add another ~50k on a pre-Storm of Chaos setting).

Which is actually really really small, the historical HRE during the 30 Years War had 46 times the population of the Empire, but fantasy writers are not the best with scale.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Given that 40k vehicles are listed as having thinner armor than vehicles from ww2 I'm pretty sure every statistic gw has ever written down is pure horseshit. The entire setting collapses if you actually take them seriously.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

AnEdgelord posted:

Given that 40k vehicles are listed as having thinner armor than vehicles from ww2 I'm pretty sure every statistic gw has ever written down is pure horseshit. The entire setting collapses if you actually take them seriously.

:gary:aaaaaaactually that's plasteel/ceramite composite armor, it doesn't have to be as thick.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Honestly, what I want most from DLC right now would be a Legendary Lords pack to add new LLs to the more neglected armies, preferably with new factions. Say: Elspeth von Draken for the Empire, Repanse de Lysonne for Bretonnia, Thorek Ironbrow for the Dwarfs, Ushoran for the Vampire Counts, Sisters of Twilight for wood elves, Valkia the Bloody for Norsca, Tehenhauin for Lizardmen, Gorbad Ironclaw for Greenskins, and Taurox for Beastmen.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Am I the only one who couldn’t care less about Amazons?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
After Norsca and now Sartosa, I'm of the mind that anything CA puts out will probably be pretty good. That being said, I'd rather see their Southern Realms or Araby than Amazons.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, what I want most from DLC right now would be a Legendary Lords pack to add new LLs to the more neglected armies, preferably with new factions. Say: Elspeth von Draken for the Empire, Repanse de Lysonne for Bretonnia, Thorek Ironbrow for the Dwarfs, Ushoran for the Vampire Counts, Sisters of Twilight for wood elves, Valkia the Bloody for Norsca, Tehenhauin for Lizardmen, Gorbad Ironclaw for Greenskins, and Taurox for Beastmen.

I really just want to see them fast-track some of the updates for the first game's factions on the ME map.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

ZearothK posted:

fantasy writers are not the best with scale.

understatement of the decade

e: my own rule of thumb with anything date related is "divide by ten and it starts being somewhat sensible"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Am I the only one who couldn’t care less about Amazons?

Why do you hate women!

As i understood it the empire actually had pretty huge population numbers with people highly concentrated inside cities or scattered around the country side--which ever was safer. I always figured the dawi to be very numerous but they're hard to round up and the talk of their population was always comparing it to the golden age. There's a blurb about DE's having 80k warriors in this 1 fortress during the end times and it wasn't even a capital so i imagine cities with 200-900 thousand people in them being perfectly viable. Gotta remember humans are likely having massive families and are only limited by food and housing with the population getting culled every other generation during some big event that just allows the population to bounce back.

I loved what VT did for the setting because the main cities are fairly small yet each one looks able to house 100k people easily. Usingen in VT2 looks like it houses around 30k people and i feel the level of fortification represents a great snap shot of warhammer life. You cluster together for protection with the country side being empty so you have these giant hamlets with a ton of farmland around it to support the population.