Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Haha it's like every post you outta just take 15 minutes. Man that's rough, but AMZN is still flailing around a bit. It's a shame I gotta sleep on these INTC calls ungg.

Wow the GOOGs too. Hmm...

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Amazon beat expectations why did it drop from +7% to nothing in aftermarket? And now its back up?

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Oh it's not back up, it's at 1700/the open as I type. I've been buying up F calls too and I really have no right to that money. I guess in the case of F there was an expectation for more serious fuckups. I don't keep good tabs on AMZN though.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

dougdrums posted:

Haha it's like every post you outta just take 15 minutes. Man that's rough, but AMZN is still flailing around a bit. It's a shame I gotta sleep on these INTC calls ungg.

Wow the GOOGs too. Hmm...

WEll I had to be out of the puts by 1615 (some index options trade 15 minutes past close) but yes, I could have made a lot more money but i was worried AMZN/GOOG were going to pull the quick dip then rally AH move. I'm very happy with the trade tho

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

the moose posted:

Amazon beat expectations why did it drop from +7% to nothing in aftermarket? And now its back up?

Missed on revenue and guidance is low.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I pulled out of the market yesterday with my taxable portfolio other than bonds to loss harvest. Was kinda regretting it throughout the day... but now I am feeling a lot better about it.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

the moose posted:

Why was it up 7% in the first place? The market is going haywire, get in and trade it and dont try to make rational sense of it, because all of the crazy people will take your money

edit: Shorting AMZN at 1666 sign of the beast

edit: closed AMZN short at 1629

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 25, 2018

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
Ah ofc, I tend to figure weeklies as all-or-nothing but I think I buy mine further otm. So the idea of selling a short term option that I'm under on is different. These dips clear even odds so I buy calls with the idea of selling them off at 100%, for whatever prices I have figured for the underlying. I buy puts at or itm though because I don't like the idea of going against the status quo unless I'm confident for other reasons.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 25, 2018

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I cancelled at the trade confirmation screen on a $2000 amazon put for January when it was over 2000 and going up and said no, wait till 2200. You’re always early. And now I hate myself

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
My stupid money fund got smacked pretty good by PFPT earnings.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They call it PFPT because you take one look at their earnings and spit out your drink with a PFFPFPFPPT sound

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
So I sold my 1 share of TSLA this morning for a tidy profit (only have about $1k invested, and it was too volatile for me to justify holding on too), so I now have about $310 to reinvest elsewhere. Should I swoop in on something(s) right now, or wait to see if everything drops a bit more. I'd like to pick up some steady-growth dividend ETFs like SPHD, or maybe I should grab a share of AAPL?

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
That’s TLRY money yo

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

drat that AMZN drop

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Futures market showing that today could be a total bloodbath. It could like Tuesday where there is a mid day rally but this is Friday so I expect a total sell off.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
This thread's a lot more fun with all of this v o l a t i l i t y.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I've always wondered: do most of you dudes in here just see this as gambling/fun, or are you guys day-trading away non-trivial portions of your portfolios?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Residency Evil posted:

I've always wondered: do most of you dudes in here just see this as gambling/fun, or are you guys day-trading away non-trivial portions of your portfolios?

I know I’m gambling. Wooooo

(Bring back PITR)

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I have all my retirement and wife's retirement stuff accounted for and then I have a get rich or die trying fund that is probably bigger than it should be, but if you don't take chances its never going to actually happen. *eminem gif*

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
I'm pretty much gambling all my savings on weedstocks :negative: it's the only way I'm going to be able to afford to buy a house on the outskirts of London at this point

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Gambling/fun

I keep most of my portfolio in index funds then occasionally drop a small amount on specific stocks I like.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
If I'd only held those QQQ puts...

edit: buying QQQ 166 dailies

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 26, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Volatility implies the market is moving up and down, we're just going down.

e: this was from earlier in the week but bullet dodged after the broad selloff :pray:

quote:

Dear client,

Due to the Plus Products being very oversubscribed, Questrade did not receive any shares in the Plus Products IPO as the underwriters restricted allocations to selling group(outside brokerages) in the deal.

Your account will be updated to reflect the cancelled order and buying power will be restored.

Thank you,

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Risky Bisquick posted:

Volatility implies the market is moving up and down, we're just going down.

Yesterday was up. Monday might be too.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
We've closed down every week in October

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

I'm pretty much gambling all my savings on weedstocks :negative: it's the only way I'm going to be able to afford to buy a house on the outskirts of London at this point

lmao

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Covering my WWE short

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
trade wars are good, and easy to win

no, once again, this isn't deja vu

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

Jesus its a bloodbath

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

spb posted:

Jesus its a bloodbath

THIS IS KILLING

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Potrzebie posted:

THIS IS KILLING

I am ignoring everything and buying into the storm. Long everything.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
all out of QQQ +30% this is loving FUN

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
I bought QQQ 165s for today at .94 a piece. Literally sent the order, got coffee, and now I'm up another day. This nonsense works really well for padding out my long term stuff and cutting down my stragglers, like this dumb SPY 288 for November and some NXPI that I had. I'm positioned where I was a week or so still.

E: My computer said to buy at 164.86 for my usual time scale but I said gently caress it I want 165s for a buck and somehow it worked.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 26, 2018

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
going short QQQ now

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Are you just going to post this every time the market has a down day? This is no different than when Trump boasts on twitter that his policies are causing the market to soar whenever the market is up.

You will also notice that this (near) correction is being led almost entirely by tech. The rest of the market is just being dragged along. If I had to guess, it is likely due to some weaker outlooks coming from big tech names paired with some already frothy valuations to begin with. Honestly it reminds me a lot of what happened in February.

If trade was primarily in focus, I would garner we would see concurrent selloffs in treasuries as a harbinger of increased inflation like we did earlier in the month. However that is currently not the case; the yield on the 10-year has dropped nearly 15 basis points since Monday. Ford "tariffs are killing us" Motor Company is up today.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p536c_OjjrU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
This was a long time coming and I'm personally pretty glad that it went down before midterms.

E: By "long time" I mean since the beginning of summer and especially the start of August really.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 26, 2018

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Unlike you, Trump isn't just looking out for the families of big shot CBOs.

Think about all the poor kids whose parents work at the VIX. Tonight, maybe dad is coming home with food instead of punches.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

My Director has a hard-on for the VIX even though it has nothing to do with what I trade so guess what I report on anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

dougdrums posted:

This was a long time coming and I'm personally pretty glad that it went down before midterms.

E: By "long time" I mean since the beginning of summer and especially the start of August really.

Ya been wondering when the market would at least have a correction if not a full on crash.

I wanna BTFD but I am waiting for a bottom out.