Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Treebeard is probably my favorite lotr character

Bombadil is close to my least favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

cheetah7071 posted:

Old Tom's a hardy man, not one for minding
Words of scorn from filthy goons, living in their mother's basement.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I've skipped In The House of Tom Bombadil in probably 75% of my re-reads, fite me

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Tom Bombadil > Book Treebeard > Film Treebeard

Fight me.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

cheetah7071 posted:

Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!
Ring a dong! hop along! Go gently caress yourself.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Octy posted:

Tom Bombadil > Book Treebeard > Film Treebeard

Fight me.

either Treebeard > Fatty > Beorn > any member of the Fellowship > Bill the Pony > Grishnakh > Denethor > Hama > Elladan and Elrohir > Celeborn > book Arwen > Gothmog > Bard > Nob > the Sackville-Bagginses > Deagol > the Uruk who says "Meat's back on the menu, boys" in the Two Towers movie (Ugluk I think?) > The Watchers of Cirith Ungol > Bill Ferny > movie Arwen > Cockney trolls > Any character as depicted in the Hobbit movies > the hobbit that says "Proudfeet!" at Bilbo's party > Tom Bombadil

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Why is the Hobbit who says Proudfeet not at the top of this list?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Petition to rename Gothmog to "spongy orc" (and seconding the decision to move Proudfeet Hobbit to the top of the list.)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I like the idea that Tom is Eru, even if Tolkien himself didn't think so.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
He’s the witch king of Angmar tho

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Question for the thread: is Caradhras an rear end in a top hat because he’s had a balrog living in his guts for six thousand years, or did the balrog choose to hide there because the mountain was already an rear end in a top hat?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DontMockMySmock posted:

any member of the Fellowship > Bill the Pony

Are you loving implying that Bill is not a member of the Fellowship? And he's at least top 5 ffs.

Tauriel is also way, way better than movie Arwen.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

He was mad because the balrog had the audacity to show up with wings.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BigglesSWE posted:

He was mad because the balrog had the audacity to show up with wings.

The mountain probably said something like, "Those shadows don't really count as wings," and then it was on.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Caradhras was probably irritable because Dwarves and Orcs kept tunnelling around in its guts

Imagine the worst case of intestinal parasites *ever*

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ynglaur posted:

The mountain probably said something like, "Those shadows don't really count as wings," and then it was on.

they look cool as poo poo though

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's interesting that nobody ever brings in the Catholicism to interpret Balrog wings

The obvious answer is that Balrogs, as Maiar, could form their fanar into wings, but being fallen and evil, those wings were nonfunctional and incapable of flight; see, e.g.,

edit: in FotR we see Durin's Bane actively forming its fanar into such non-functional wings, perhaps for a bit of a boost jumping over the chasm

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 25, 2018

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's interesting that nobody ever brings in the Catholicism to interpret Balrog wings

The obvious answer is that Balrogs, as Maiar, could form their fanar into wings, but being fallen and evil, those wings were nonfunctional and incapable of flight; see, e.g.,

This is a good take, especially since I've always imagined them with wings, but never thought of them as flying.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They don’t have wings. Stop.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
So they bought the pony from Bill Ferny, why then name it Bill and remind yourself of that rear end in a top hat all the time? Sam is so goddamn stupid.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Myron Baloney posted:

So they bought the pony from Bill Ferny, why then name it Bill and remind yourself of that rear end in a top hat all the time? Sam is so goddamn stupid.

You're right why didn't he call it something like uhhh Fatty Lumpkin. Tom Bombabombabombadillo could have come up with a better name for Sam

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Tom didn't come up with those names, those were the ponies' own names that they told Tom

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think fatty lunpkin was what the pony or donkey called itself.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Serious self-esteem issues.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s actually a translation of the Westron for “Biggie Smalls”

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Actually Tom Bombadil just hated ponies and named him Fatty Lumpkin out of spite.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
"Hey ding merry dol" is pretty bad, but "we are fond of parties" is easily the cringiest line in a Bombadil song.

I really like the idea of Bombadil, and his (lack of) reaction to putting on the Ring is such a cool moment. I just wish his dialogue didn't make me wince so much.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hey dol! Merry dol! Tom Bombadillo!
Ancient is his way of song; go gently caress a body pillow

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
tom bombadildo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like when Frodo nearly has a panic attack because he forgot to say goodbye to Goldberry.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ginette Reno posted:

I like when Frodo nearly has a panic attack because he forgot to say goodbye to Goldberry.

Powerful magics at work in that fell forest.

One day it shall consume the Shire and all who dwell there.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tom is awesome I’m sorry you don’t like Tolkien.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

These books are extremely serious, and if only Tolkien had followed through with his original intent and named the elven butler “Bong” everyone would see that

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

euphronius posted:

Tom is awesome I’m sorry you don’t like Tolkien.
I seriously used to earnestpost in defense of Bombadil and the other "pure faerie" stuff and now I've come out the other side. I still think the hobbits-only parts are the best parts.

Unrelated observation, only the hobbits ever get naked in LotR, when the barrow-wight has taken their clothes (and Tom tells them to run naked on the grass) and when Frodo is a naked whipped prisoner in Cirith Ungol. The non-hobbit characters occasionally eat and sleep (when they eat or camp with the hobbits) but seem not to have much connection to bodily functions in general.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Myron Baloney posted:

Unrelated observation, only the hobbits ever get naked in LotR, when the barrow-wight has taken their clothes (and Tom tells them to run naked on the grass) and when Frodo is a naked whipped prisoner in Cirith Ungol. The non-hobbit characters occasionally eat and sleep (when they eat or camp with the hobbits) but seem not to have much connection to bodily functions in general.

None of the characters even take a poo poo, how unrealistic 0/10 would not read again :rolleyes:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Myron Baloney posted:

I seriously used to earnestpost in defense of Bombadil and the other "pure faerie" stuff and now I've come out the other side. I still think the hobbits-only parts are the best parts.

They are also naked when they bathe in buckland

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Myron Baloney posted:

The Hobbits also bathe after fleeing the Black Riders.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gandalf also gets naked on Caradhras

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

skasion posted:

Gandalf also gets naked on Caradhras

Different kind of naked. He is stripped of his physical form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Different kind of naked. He is stripped of his physical form.

But also literally naked.