Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The Milkman posted:

Last time it happened, yeah the disk was the only thing with much activity -- CPU, Memory, Network were all negligible. I didn't manage a screen grab but it was mostly Logfile and Windows Storage Class something other other with the most activity.

This sounds like a thing I've had happen before as well, and similarly it was relatively soon after a fresh install or the biannual updates. Looking at process monitor is was all stuff in system folders, particularly WinSXS. I think it's maintaining Side by Side, like win10 needs to rebuild the guts of that whole thing occasionally.

So I guess my advice is if it happens again in the future, just leave your laptop plugged in and running for a few hours when you're not using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

isndl posted:

I'm guessing they are building a completely new index/cache, hence the part about it being a resource intensive activity. Plus they might be giving numbers for HDD based installs, SSD searching might be done in seconds without an index but lots of people still have HDD for bulk storage.
Everything takes seconds on a hard drive too. But it has to bypass the filesystem because somehow going through the filesystem makes scanning a hard drive fifty times slower. It's kind of impressive how much of a bottleneck you get with a lot of files.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Dylan16807 posted:

Everything takes seconds on a hard drive too. But it has to bypass the filesystem because somehow going through the filesystem makes scanning a hard drive fifty times slower. It's kind of impressive how much of a bottleneck you get with a lot of files.

Well, whatever third party search you're using had to spend fifteen minutes building their index the first time too, I don't see any particular reason to give Microsoft poo poo about it in this case. :shrug:

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Well, no...

Specifically referenced Everything by voidtools is nearly instantaneous. It's eerie.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tapedump posted:

Well, no...

Specifically referenced Everything by voidtools is nearly instantaneous. It's eerie.

that just searches by filename

the thing that MS is doing is gonna index file contents

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The Milkman posted:

Last time it happened, yeah the disk was the only thing with much activity -- CPU, Memory, Network were all negligible. I didn't manage a screen grab but it was mostly Logfile and Windows Storage Class something other other with the most activity.

I don't know about the OEM drive, but the one I put in should be fairly good. It's the XPG 8200 / 960GB. http://www.adata.com/upload/downloadfile/Datasheet_XPG%20SX8200_EN_20180316.pdf

I've been running with resource monitor in the background all day to keep tabs and for the first time haven't hit any hitches. I did replace the driver for the on board SD card reader with the one from Lenovo over the Microsoft one. I suppose it's possible that was freaking out?

That's a good NVMe SSD. It really does sound like the issue is Windows background activity, especially when you can't identify any obvious 3rd-party applications using excessive resources in Task Manager. Definitely let the system do what it needs to do by leaving it on for awhile when you're not using it.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Tapedump posted:

Well, no...

Some quick googling indicates that Everything manages to build their index so quickly because they rip the filenames from the MFT (on NTFS/ReFS filesystems). The caveat to this is that it only indexes filenames and cannot do searches inside files, e.g. documents and zip archives.

This does make me wonder why they never bothered to index the filenames for the rest of the drive by default, although perhaps they were loathe to have inconsistent indexing depth.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

isndl posted:

Some quick googling indicates that Everything manages to build their index so quickly because they rip the filenames from the MFT (on NTFS/ReFS filesystems). The caveat to this is that it only indexes filenames and cannot do searches inside files, e.g. documents and zip archives.

This does make me wonder why they never bothered to index the filenames for the rest of the drive by default, although perhaps they were loathe to have inconsistent indexing depth.

And see, does anyone search inside files for anything? I mean I have never done that in my entire life. Nor has anyone else I know personally.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I have done so on more than one occasion.

isndl
May 2, 2012

redeyes posted:

And see, does anyone search inside files for anything? I mean I have never done that in my entire life. Nor has anyone else I know personally.

Searching inside files is pretty drat useful when you have a thousand Word docs and don't remember the exact name of the one you're looking for, especially when working with files handed over from someone else so it has a different or inconsistent naming schema.

mystes
May 31, 2006

redeyes posted:

Yes, all the time.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Can't wait for that Windows built in Enhanced Mode!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

Yes, all the time.

Well ok then. I guess it all depends how you file stuff.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Im_Special posted:

clippy but in start menu? well sign me up!

mystes
May 31, 2006

redeyes posted:

Well ok then. I guess it all depends how you file stuff.
No, it depends whether you need to search within files. You don't, that doesn't mean that nobody needs to.

Alternatively, please explain how filing stuff differently would allow me to search whether a large number of documents contain text that I was not specifically aware I would need to search for at the time I originally saved the documents.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

No, it depends whether you need to search within files. You don't, that doesn't mean that nobody needs to.

Well I'd rather the loving search works first, then you can look inside files all you want.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Im_Special posted:

lol this is why I still use a start menu replacement in 2018, even if the UI of the current stock start menu is fine.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I feel left out; my win10 start menu/search hasn't not worked yet and I'm all the way up to 1803.

Then again, I did wait until around just before the Anniversary edition to even upgrade to Windows 10.

astral fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 26, 2018

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I think searching INSIDE files is not something that most people would THINK they need. Most people think of file names.

HOWEVER

If you could search by file name and people discovered it was also searching within file contents, many people would be pleasantly surprised. They’d find stuff they forgot the name to, bonus related materials, etc. even though they never thought to specifically search within the file.

That’s my 2c.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

astral posted:

I feel left out; my win10 start menu hasn't not worked yet and I'm all the way up to 1803.

Then again, I did wait until around just before the Anniversary edition to even upgrade to Windows 10.

Turn off cortana and let the party begin! :)

That seems to gently caress up mine.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Turn off cortana and let the party begin! :)

That seems to gently caress up mine.

I have never used Cortana (it is disabled).

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

astral posted:

I have never used Cortana (it is disabled).

Lucky you, it seems that I need to delete some weird cortana folder in AppData every couple of weeks otherwise search dies.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'd use Cortana but it can't even do basic stuff like setting a reminder without making you sign in, so I don't bother

Then again you can't even view Microsoft's own community forums without signing in, so gently caress you if you're trying to google some issue I guess

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

astral posted:

I feel left out; my win10 start menu/search hasn't not worked yet and I'm all the way up to 1803.

Yeah, same. Windows 8's start screen/search gave me much more trouble than 10 ever did. Should be noted that Cortana is still not even available in my region, because lol Microsoft.

e: I did upgrade to 10 as soon as it became available for me way back in 2015, a couple of months after the official launch date.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Like half of my job is searching the contents of files and it's not exactly an unsolved problem in computer science or anything. Windows' search is a marketing tool more than a useful feature.

isndl
May 2, 2012

dougdrums posted:

Like half of my job is searching the contents of files and it's not exactly an unsolved problem in computer science or anything. Windows' search is a marketing tool more than a useful feature.

Okay, and...? You already search inside files so Microsoft shouldn't bother? Windows search doesn't need any improvement because it's a marketing tool?

I'm reading a negative tone from your post but I don't know to interpret it when the topic is 'Microsoft is trying to improve their search function'.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

redeyes posted:

I pointed Windows' search index towards a folder containing a couple of hundred OCR'ed PDFs at work so I search through them to look up information quickly. It's proven immensely useful.

Windows' index takes a while to build but I've never had problems with it consuming resources when I needed them, as it tends to always stay a low priority task for me.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

If you're searching inside a file, just use grep "[text you're searching for here]" file.bla, you can specify multiple files and use wildcards. It's fast and efficient.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

If you're searching inside a file, just use grep "[text you're searching for here]" file.bla, you can specify multiple files and use wildcards. It's fast and efficient.
Quick someone tell Elasticsearch and Google.

Also, who needs database indexes when you can just iterate through the whole database each time!

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 28, 2018

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

mystes posted:

Quick someone tell Elasticsearch and Google.

Also, who needs database indexes when you can just iterate through the whole database each time!

I presume that there is a difference between the number and total size of documents that you have on your computer vs google (or what elasticsearch can do). A few orders of magnitude difference. Now, the question is: do you need to have an indexer running (hell, you can use elasticsearch for free now if you want) on your computer all the time to help you with the search or something like grep is fine for your needs?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Volguus posted:

I presume that there is a difference between the number and total size of documents that you have on your computer vs google (or what elasticsearch can do). A few orders of magnitude difference. Now, the question is: do you need to have an indexer running (hell, you can use elasticsearch for free now if you want) on your computer all the time to help you with the search or something like grep is fine for your needs?
I think you mean "do you want to have an indexer running when your computer is idle so you don't have to wait a really long time when you're actually trying to run searches"? And my answer is yes, thank you.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

isndl posted:

Okay, and...? You already search inside files so Microsoft shouldn't bother? Windows search doesn't need any improvement because it's a marketing tool?

I'm reading a negative tone from your post but I don't know to interpret it when the topic is 'Microsoft is trying to improve their search function'.

Yeah it would be useful, but I don't use it for the marketing reasons anyway. It was just a little funny that the other poster thought it wasn't a useful feature.

I think you'd have to extract files out of office zip files which makes it a less-than-trivial task.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 28, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

dougdrums posted:

I think you'd have to extract files out of office zip files which makes it a less-than-trivial task.
What do you mean?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Despite the name it's not a search function, it's more of a suggestion function.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I use Everything and Astrogrep for my searching and searching-inside needs, but that announcement is definitely piquing my curiosity.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Windows 10 Notepad can't even word wrap right.
Words that start 4 or 5 characters from the edge of the window get cut in half instead of moving over to the next line. :eng99:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Que? If I write 'test test test test test test s' and size the window so that the s is the last character on the first line, then finish writing s'upercollider' from that s, 'supercollider' fully wraps around to the 2nd line. Am I misinterpreting you?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Nam Taf posted:

Que? If I write 'test test test test test test s' and size the window so that the s is the last character on the first line, then finish writing s'upercollider' from that s, 'supercollider' fully wraps around to the 2nd line. Am I misinterpreting you?

Sorry, I didn't explain very well and also it's apparently only when it's exactly 3 characters from the edge and even then sometimes it doesn't happen (depending on how you enter the text?)???
Here's a screenshot:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Geemer posted:

Sorry, I didn't explain very well and also it's apparently only when it's exactly 3 characters from the edge and even then sometimes it doesn't happen (depending on how you enter the text?)???
Here's a screenshot:

Hey nice I also disable cortana, despite the obnoxious hurdles it takes to actually disable Cortana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

jokes posted:

Hey nice I also disable cortana, despite the obnoxious hurdles it takes to actually disable Cortana.

I live in the Netherlands. My hurdles would be to enable it. (Which I absolutely don't want.)