Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Somewhat topically I stumbled across this today and they detail how they do a weird pseudo 3D method like old rear end games but modernized (for some reason). This is all 2D art but cleverly deformed to look 3D but without any actual 3D space / transforms at all beyond the panorama hacking. This seems like a crazy way to do anything but I guess it was a very minimal programmer way to do it for them.

The game itself was a weird dungeon crawler / fruit ninja hybrid. The art is cool tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fruit ninja if the fruit ate your arms and your entire family. Severed is pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imeyt0c3Ovc

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RickVoid posted:

That's must be why the game threw at least two +1 Slings at me. I forgot slings are 1 handed weapons, letting me continue to use my shield, unlike the composite bow that mostly sits uselessly in my inventory. Shadowkeeper works for EE, right? Still considering holding out for better longswords. Also considering having him do the Time Warp (Export and re-Import into a new game) and have him take on the Frozen North with his alternate universe Fighter/Mage/Cleric self.

Think it's on Core rules, I haven't touched the slider. Def going to kick up the dificulty a bit if I do end up Time Warping him back to the start. He's finally got the gear and levels for 3 first level spells and 3 second level spells, so he'd wreck everything if I didn't.

Edit: I'm now imagining an LP of this game where every time the party hits a difficulty wall they just dive into a new universe and recruit their new weirdly divergent self.

You want EEKeeper.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is Pillars 2 cheap on Steam? Phone posting because I'm at Wal Mart but they're selling it for $20

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

precision posted:

Is Pillars 2 cheap on Steam? Phone posting because I'm at Wal Mart but they're selling it for $20

$45 standard edition if you own PoE 1. No current sale.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Whoa. Stumbled across big cheats in Icewind Dale. One of the auto-pause settings is pause on enemy death. I use this because characters don't auto-attack the next target so if I don't use it I'll take extra hits.

The thing is, the game pauses before XP is awarded for the slain monster. Did a little testing, and it turns out that it's pausing before the XP reward is determined. Which means that when it pauses I can duck into the menu, crank difficulty to Insanity, grab the higher XP rward when I unpause, then set difficulty back to normal. It's a pain in the rear end to do for every kill, but it's giving me over 800 XP per Yeti kill, and that's nothing to sneeze at, even if it's getting divided 3 ways.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

That...uh, sure is.....
Is it just me, or do 80% of the graphics in that clip look ripped off from RPG Maker stock asset libraries?
RPG Maker is top-down unless you mutilate the poo poo out of it so no?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

RickVoid posted:

Whoa. Stumbled across big cheats in Icewind Dale. One of the auto-pause settings is pause on enemy death. I use this because characters don't auto-attack the next target so if I don't use it I'll take extra hits.

The thing is, the game pauses before XP is awarded for the slain monster. Did a little testing, and it turns out that it's pausing before the XP reward is determined. Which means that when it pauses I can duck into the menu, crank difficulty to Insanity, grab the higher XP rward when I unpause, then set difficulty back to normal. It's a pain in the rear end to do for every kill, but it's giving me over 800 XP per Yeti kill, and that's nothing to sneeze at, even if it's getting divided 3 ways.

Wouldn't it be quicker to just use cheat engine or stick in the codes found here?
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/256221-icewind-dale/cheats

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chinook posted:

Wouldn't it be quicker to just use cheat engine or stick in the codes found here?
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/256221-icewind-dale/cheats

Yeah, but that would be cheating

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Well he's got us there. :shrug:

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zereth posted:

You can use a different engine and still pilfer RPGMaker for assets.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:colbert:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zereth posted:

You can stretch a wall tile over a texture or achieve a similar effect with raycasting very easily, tons of amateur games use existing tiles like that.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Probably the best video game with the word grimoire in the name.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Chairchucker posted:

Probably the best video game with the word grimoire in the name.

<clears throat>

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Uh, excuse you.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

<Cough>

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Joe Man posted:

$45 standard edition if you own PoE 1. No current sale.

Well, as much as Wal mart sucks, Pillars 2 for $20 is a crazy good deal. It almost looked like they had ordered it accidentally because the only other games they had were Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, and other such older games. Weird.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

netcat posted:

Not really? Apart from the weird turning animation the Grimoire graphics are mostly inspired by wizardry 7

Zereth posted:

The comically oversized + cartoony tiled assets in the 3d-engine portion of that looping gif are what scream RPG Maker assets to me.
The other 60% of the screen looks like a Wizardry clone complete with semi-awkward character portraits.
Maybe it's just a bad example gif featuring the one town in Grimoire with that particular oversized cartoony art, and every other location in Grimoire looks better?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There's a secret code in the manual that unlocks the true vision of Cleve.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Really really wish that Cleveland Mark Blakemore's multiple page resignation letter to SirTech wasn't buried forever by whomever won that eBay auction (probably Cleveland Mark Blakemore).

http://thebaneofqueequeg.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-grimoire-thing-just-gets-weirder.html

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

Cleve makes some, frankly, pretty unbelievable claims about this time in his life (most of which don't bear to be repeated here)
This is the coward's way of avoiding the tale of how Cleve smashed a jar of baby food over a Mexican man's neck for no reason

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Grimoire is vaguely entertaining to wander around in but the combat makes no sense even for a bad Wizardry clone. It's unclear what stats do or if they do anything, and the best spells are broken in a way that just seems like a math error. I wonder if Cleve delayed the manual because he realized it didn't give accurate information about how the game works, and subsequently realized he no longer knows how the game works either.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nakar posted:

the combat makes no sense even for a bad Wizardry clone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMAsPyYonNg

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

All this Cleve Blakemore stuff makes me want to visit RPGCodex and laugh at the Blakemore threads there.
Then I remember RPGCodex managed to outrank No Mutants Allowed in sheer toxicity, and want no part of that.

If RPGCodex could get Cleve Blakemore posting there, and Derek Smart has registered + been banned from SomethingAwful forums multiple times,
why can't we trick Cleve Blakemore into posting here?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Having your guys look at some insects and go "Huh, are those hummingbirds??!" makes that entire game feel like a parody of bad RPGs.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly as much as it looks cheap and Cleve is a racist piece of poo poo... I look at it and really want to play it, because it’s the only wizardry 7 clone that exists.

The looking cheap hasn’t kept me from buying it, but the Cleve being a racist piece of poo poo has.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nakar posted:

Grimoire is vaguely entertaining to wander around in but the combat makes no sense even for a bad Wizardry clone. It's unclear what stats do or if they do anything, and the best spells are broken in a way that just seems like a math error. I wonder if Cleve delayed the manual because he realized it didn't give accurate information about how the game works, and subsequently realized he no longer knows how the game works either.

This is 100% the case.

There's a good game in there somewhere but in its current condition it's more a study piece than a complete/sane experience. If you're into the style of game it's absolutely worth playing - there's nothing else like it and it's absolutely fascinating - but I'm not sure if it's actually salvageable as a game.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I had a lot of fun playing Grimoire but it is a completely broken mess and iirc he nerfed the bard/sage which were the one thing that made combat bearable.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Considering Cleve's crazy and the length of development I can't imagine what the code looks like. I wonder if anyone has waded into the Lovecraftian nightmare of modding it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jordan7hm posted:

Honestly as much as it looks cheap and Cleve is a racist piece of poo poo... I look at it and really want to play it, because it’s the only wizardry 7 clone that exists.

There are a ton of Japanese games that are Wizardry clones, some of which being actual Wizardry games. Pick up a 3DS and go hog wild my friend

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

There are a ton of Japanese games that are Wizardry clones, some of which being actual Wizardry games. Pick up a 3DS and go hog wild my friend

They are all wizardry 1-5 clones.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It's too bad they didn't go nuts over baldur's gate

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Montaron Gaiden: Sentinels of Xzar

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I mean, hell yeah

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jordan7hm posted:

They are all wizardry 1-5 clones.

I really don't think so. The more recent Etrian Odyssey games are way closer to Wiz 6 and 7 than 1-5. Same is true for Wizardry Tales of the Forsaken Land on PS2

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Libluini posted:

Having your guys look at some insects and go "Huh, are those hummingbirds??!" makes that entire game feel like a parody of bad RPGs.

yeah, especially they clearly caw like carrion crows. what a blunder!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So I finally finished the first two Might and Magics on a C64. Here's a tip: don't play Might and Magic on C64. The first one is fine, it's like the DOS version with less color but with the second game the loading times become insufferable (even on a emulator) and the disk switching on every area transition is just annoying. Worse yet are the unique bugs this version had, I had trouble with the character transition, at some points healing spells would overflow and give me negative health and spell level increasing fountains simply did not work.

Now I played the rest of the series once before, but I've heard there is a modding community behind the DOS M&M games and I'm curious what the common concensus is on the Ludmeister mods. So far it seems like it changes way too many things to my liking, but maybe the changes are for the better?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

precision posted:

I really don't think so. The more recent Etrian Odyssey games are way closer to Wiz 6 and 7 than 1-5. Same is true for Wizardry Tales of the Forsaken Land on PS2

I've never seen one like the Braben games. They are usually still straight dungeon crawls unlike the sprawling world of 7. Sometimes those have an over world to pick a dungeon but 7/8 are proper fairly seamless open worlds more like M&M than older wizardry games. I think some do class changing like 7 though.

Forsaken Land is the most interesting Japanese dungeon crawler I've played but it's still more reminiscent of the older games. 7 with it's weird rear end roaming NPCs and detailed interesting world full of secrets is such a fun place to explore. I also dig 7's somber purple first person narrative which is rather different than dialogue driven anime stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

FuzzySlippers posted:

Somewhat topically I stumbled across this today and they detail how they do a weird pseudo 3D method like old rear end games but modernized (for some reason). This is all 2D art but cleverly deformed to look 3D but without any actual 3D space / transforms at all beyond the panorama hacking. This seems like a crazy way to do anything but I guess it was a very minimal programmer way to do it for them.

The game itself was a weird dungeon crawler / fruit ninja hybrid. The art is cool tho

I just played through this on the 3DS and really enjoyed it. The stylus made the combat pretty fun and its absolutely worth playing for the atmosphere.