Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So I have a squad of Plague Marines that I'm gonna be painting and I was originally going to hit them with black spray primer and go from there, but it looks like getting Death Guard Green to cover black well is kind of a chore, so I picked up a spray can of it from the store today.

Now, can I just use the can of DG green in lieu of primer entirely, or should I hit the squad with the black, then hit that with the green and see how it looks?

I'm actually kind of excited to paint these, my last foray into 40k was in high school and nobody told me to thin my paints, which is a hell of a way to try and paint a bunch of Catachan guardsmen. (Their eyes still haunt me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
If its GW spray, it's actually a primer, so go nuts!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tehsid posted:

:toot:

Thanks, that makes life way easier.

I think I might have to take a day off from work to paint these dudes, I want light when I spray on the primer and there's supposed to be a nor'easter this weekend.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

tehsid posted:

Pretty much any spraypaint is a primer on plastic, nearly all of them use acetone

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Booley posted:

Pretty much any spraypaint is a primer on plastic, nearly all of them use acetone

This. GW spray is effectively primer on plastic minis.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

General Olloth posted:

This. GW spray is effectively primer on plastic minis.

It is primer. Not effectively is. Read the 500 facts they posted the other day, they explicitly call it out as primer.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Booley posted:

It is primer. Not effectively is. Read the 500 facts they posted the other day, they explicitly call it out as primer.

This makes me wonder, because I've heard from a couple people IRL that their color sprays didn't keep well on metal models.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Booley posted:

I made it to like 200 something but that's cool that they explicitly said it somewhere now.

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Another Darkest Dungeon dude:

This is fantastic.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

S.J. posted:

This makes me wonder, because I've heard from a couple people IRL that their color sprays didn't keep well on metal models.

I've never had good luck with Army Painter sprays on metal models. I haven't tried it on plastic since it's a bit more difficult to strip paint from that versus metal.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

selnaric posted:

This is fantastic.

Thank you!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

They don't. Metal models inherently chip easier because the paint can't seep into it like it can on plastic or some poo poo like that. Automotive primers help a lot in that regard.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

tehsid posted:

Finished this dude. Sorry for the spam, I hope yall don't mind. I need the feedback! I learnt a stack from this guy though.

1. My linework needs.. Work.
2. Painting built minis can suck the fun out of painting.
3. Slow down. Even though I took my time with this guy, some parts I rushed wanting to finish it. I think that was a mistake and it shows on my weathering.
4. I tried to copy the model on the GW website as best I could and added a few bits I wanted onto it. That was great fun and an interesting challenge.
5. Typhus Corrosion is awesome.

Only 6 or 7 more to go!

This is really great. Your colors are super vibrant and everything is crisp.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Yeah, as obvious as it seems, some materials just plain don’t like regular paint.

Took me way to long to figure out most paints and primers that can pass through an air brush won’t stick hard to glass because they have to not stick to the air brush.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

tehsid posted:

Finished this dude. Sorry for the spam, I hope yall don't mind. I need the feedback! I learnt a stack from this guy though.

1. My linework needs.. Work.
2. Painting built minis can suck the fun out of painting.
3. Slow down. Even though I took my time with this guy, some parts I rushed wanting to finish it. I think that was a mistake and it shows on my weathering.
4. I tried to copy the model on the GW website as best I could and added a few bits I wanted onto it. That was great fun and an interesting challenge.
5. Typhus Corrosion is awesome.

Only 6 or 7 more to go!

Is there any highlighting or anything to the blue orbs? It looks pretty flat. I would push contrast a little more, it doesn't look glowing at all to me.

The rest of the model is outstanding work.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
The Ork is rad as hell, I love the high contrast. Colour choices were excellent.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

More Warmaster dudes.

...I know the fireball's a bit off, but I didn't realize until I'd already started that I didn't have much in the way of yellows, oranges or reds. :shrug: I mean, I could've gone with blue flame, but that may be for the other one I have like this.

Leave it to the camera to enhance any flaws. In this case, a little dot of blue on the top right white section of the staff. :tizzy:

These guys aren't done yet, but I'm just showing off the freehand crescent moon of Lileath on the banner. Still gotta tighten it up in a couple of places, like on the left-hand side of the outside of the moon, have the thumb cross the two fingers, and smooth out the bottom of the glove-hand. However, I did do it without looking at any reference points while painting, only going off of a mostly remembered shield design from the Uniforms and Heraldry book, so I'm just stoked that it came out as close as it did.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Aniodia posted:

More Warmaster dudes.

...I know the fireball's a bit off, but I didn't realize until I'd already started that I didn't have much in the way of yellows, oranges or reds. :shrug: I mean, I could've gone with blue flame, but that may be for the other one I have like this.
Sup, Warmaster buddy.

The fireball looks good, don't sweat it.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Very nearly done with the Chieftains now. Two tank commanders to do then add some wire for the aerials.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I love those Chieftains :britain:

Did the Plague Doctor:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
"I have distilled an elixir of lead and pomegranate..."

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Shadespire skellies:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I love a happy skeleton

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Those skellies look awesome, lets get some closeups.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

ijyt posted:

They don't. Metal models inherently chip easier because the paint can't seep into it like it can on plastic or some poo poo like that. Automotive primers help a lot in that regard.

I'm not talking about chipping, I'm talking about it not adhering to the model when it was initially sprayed.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've never had good luck with Army Painter sprays on metal models. I haven't tried it on plastic since it's a bit more difficult to strip paint from that versus metal.

GW Brand, not AP. I'm not a fan of AP's color sprays from what I've used, they have an oddly waxy finish and they don't seem to match their paint pots.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

S.J. posted:

I'm not talking about chipping, I'm talking about it not adhering to the model when it was initially sprayed.

GW Brand, not AP. I'm not a fan of AP's color sprays from what I've used, they have an oddly waxy finish and they don't seem to match their paint pots.

I've had that trouble with Army Painter black sometimes. While I was painting a metal infinity miniature and even after it's primed so thick I'm losing some details, I found my paint is beading on it. I use some hardware store primer now and it's pretty good and protects against rust I guess.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

Mould release then.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

S.J. posted:

You gotta wash metal minis before paining. Sometimes there’s still mold release agent on them and that will keep the paint from sticking.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
AP paints don't stick to metal well even if you've washed them, at least in my experience.

Also, "mold release" on metal models isn't a thing - oil based mold releases will break down rubber molds, so they use talc or similar powders to "lubricate" the molds. Resin models, however, definitely need to be washed both due to the oil based mold releases used with the silicone molds and the oils in the resin itself.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Some metal models are absolutely covered in something. I forget which company it was, but if I touched unwashed models my hands smelled like silicone grease.

It might have been Infinity or Knight Miniatures. I can remember the smell, but not the company. #olfactorymemory

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
What's a good place to get stainless steel beads for agitating dropper bottles?
Also what size magnets would be good for hand/weapon swaps?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I use hematite beads rather than stainless. Stainless can still rust, especially if it's of dubious grade. Hematite is iron oxide already.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8KA9J7

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

dexefiend posted:

Some metal models are absolutely covered in something. I forget which company it was, but if I touched unwashed models my hands smelled like silicone grease.

It might have been Infinity or Knight Miniatures. I can remember the smell, but not the company. #olfactorymemory

After assembling a pile of infinity models this week, can confirm they have a residue of something

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Chance II posted:

After assembling a pile of infinity models this week, can confirm they have a residue of something

spain

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

darnon posted:

I use hematite beads rather than stainless. Stainless can still rust, especially if it's of dubious grade. Hematite is iron oxide already.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8KA9J7

Yeah, same here. Hematite works great. (If you're looking for some beads with Prime shipping, try these. They're the largest size that will fit in standard dropper bottles.)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I use glass beads for my agitators.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I just use a couple small bits of clipped sprue. Not sure if it's the best idea, but it works.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I used hematite but found they weren't heavy enough (more mass = more inertia = less likely to just stay stuck in place as you shake the bottle); also I was never brave enough to put more than one hematite agitator in any given bottle because while hematite won't rust (because it is rust), it can shatter, in which case now you've got rust dust in your paint, and having two hematite beads rattling around together in a paint pot felt like a great way to invite a shattering event.

Glass is likewise not very heavy and prone to shattering; I found it didn't work very well either.

So I switched over to these.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Floppychop posted:

I just use a couple small bits of clipped sprue. Not sure if it's the best idea, but it works.

This is what I've always done, though I've usually got chunkier bits of resin knocking about rather than sprues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have a painting question this thread might be able to help with. I think I've finally decided on a titan legion for Adeptus Titanicus and they've got an interesting scheme. They're primarily a mottled green with red accents. My basic idea for the green is to start with a dark base and sponge on coats of progressively lighter greens, particularly towards the center of each panel. Once the greens are in place, I'd do a thinned green glaze to tie everything together. Would my proposed method work? I haven't worked much with sponging in the past, but I am fairly experienced with blending and mostly aim for a clean style with a lot of edge highlighting.

Sorry for the bad picture, but this is the only modern example I can find of this scheme. All of the others are hilariously old models with retro neon paint jobs. While that's still cool, it's not what I'd be aiming for.