Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

OhFunny posted:

I've tried playing Dragon Age: Origins and Inquisition and there's nothing I like about them. Not the characters, the setting, the gameplay, the plot, etc. Which is disappointing since I loved KOTOR and Mass Effect. Maybe it's just the rather generic fantasy setting?

There are lots of crazy game breaking wizard builds in da:o that can be fun to build a party around and slog through the game on nightmare, where the balance was surprisingly ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
final fantasy is gay as hell (all of them)

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

OhFunny posted:

I've tried playing Dragon Age: Origins and Inquisition and there's nothing I like about them. Not the characters, the setting, the gameplay, the plot, etc. Which is disappointing since I loved KOTOR and Mass Effect. Maybe it's just the rather generic fantasy setting?

Also KOTOR 2's first level was it's best and I've replayed and stopped shortly after it because the rest of the game doesn't have that creeping sense of wrongness and mystery.

The level of writing quality has continually decreased in gaming, especially big name RPGs, which impacts all of those things except gameplay. And honestly, very few big name RPGs are 'about' the gameplay, which is usually serviceable at best.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Da:o works best if you read the plot texts you find (there's a hot key) as you go, it's not elegant but they're decently written and there's lots of neat environmental story telling that relies on it.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

ratbert90 posted:

Dark forces 1 is also garbage. It’s a lovely version of Doom with slower combat and even worse level design.

i've played the first 3-4 levels of it, can concur

i said this earlier in the thread but it bears repeating - they actually had the balls to make the sewer level the second loving level of the game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Streak posted:

final fantasy is gay as hell (all of them)

i mean....yeah....

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Dark Forces 2 is garbage

Yup

Was still pretty fun in the 90s though

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

KOTOR is complete poo poo.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Pulling a post over from the r/relationships thread...

LadyPictureShow posted:

My boyfriend (26M) of one year is upset that I (24F) asked him not to play video games while we're on vacation celebrating our anniversary.
My boyfriend plays video games in his down time, and typically I have no problem with that. He is very accomplished in his field and works really hard and he uses video games as a way to wind down and keep in contact with his long-distance friends. I'm also into video games and use them in the same way. On our off days that we spend together, he only plays in the evening. I don't typically play very much when we're together.

On Friday we're heading a few hours out of town to celebrate our year anniversary at his families vacation house. Last time we went out of town he brought his gaming console with him. I didn't say anything, but it kind of irked me that he couldn't just leave it at home. He played video games like he usually did, just in the evening and only for a couple of hours.

A very highly anticipated game is being released on Friday and we're both stoked. However, since we're both so excited about it and there's only one tv at the vacation home, I asked him not to bring his console so we could just enjoy each other's time without squabbling over who gets to play. I felt it was reasonable given the context of our vacation and logistics of playing, but he felt very different.

His immediate response was, "are you serious?" and when I explained my view point, he accused me of accusing him of being a negligent partner and addicted to video games. I don't think this at all, I actually enjoy that he responsibly uses video games. When I said I didn't appreciate how he was talking to me, he said I was being unfair and trying to take things away from him like his ex did.

I immediately left the conversation after that and gave us both time to cool down. After an hour, he came up to me and apologized for being a jerk and that he was just really looking forward to the new game. I told him I felt like he was more excited to play a new video game than to celebrate our one year anniversary and that comparing me to his (abusive) ex was NOT okay. He apologized again but that made him really sad and he acted pretty dejected for the rest of the night.

That was all yesterday and today he's acting normal and what not. I'm still feeling hurt by his reaction and I want to talk more about why he reacted that way, but I feel like he'll think I'm just trying to make him feel bad. Is that kicking a dead horse? I know if I bring it up again it will just ruin the whole day for him (and therefore ruin my day too).

What do I do about his reaction? Is this a red flag?

tl;dr: boyfriend of a year flipped out and said hurtful things when I asked him not to play video games on vacation, apologized, acted distant, and is now acting like nothing happened. I'm still hurt. What do I do?

EDIT: I think a lot of you in this thread misunderstand the reasons why I don't want him to play the new RDR. Yes, one of the reasons is that it's our anniversary; we've agreed it's special to BOTH of us. Another reason is that we both want to play. Very, very badly. And there's only ONE TV at this house. And we don't want to WATCH each other play, what the heck! All I'm asking is for TWO DAYS of no games to spend together and so we don't tear each other's heads off fighting for a turn. For all you crying "wah stigma against video games" I hope you're enjoying cherry picking my story to fit your narrative.

The comments are where the real meat is...
https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/9r1gf9/my_boyfriend_26m_of_one_year_is_upset_that_i_24f/

Haifisch posted:

After digging through the comments, a selection of the juiciest ones:
quote:

[–]Roswyne [score hidden] an hour ago

I'm not sure why you wouldn't make anniversary plans that allow both of you to play the game, if you really both enjoy playing. My understanding is that the release date was known long ago.

quote:

[–]Zesty-Lem0n [score hidden] 3 hours ago

It seems like the issue is his passion of gaming isn't exactly equal to yours. He plays in the evening and you don't; why is one choice more right than the other? Because YOU don't do it, he shouldn't either. That's what I'm hearing. You're making him choose between his personal enjoyment and your shared enjoyment even though he already has a healthy balance of the two. If you two don't see eye to eye on how much time he wants to spend gaming that's a compatibility issue for you two. I doubt he's blowing you off to play, but I'm sure you won't fill every single second with an activity while you're away. If you really demand 100% of his attention for your vacation, I'd be worried if he doesn't feel the same. An anniversary is a fabricated event; nothing changes about your relationship but it holds as much meaning as each of you give it and you should get its value straight before you make plans for it.

quote:

[–]alt_sense [score hidden] 2 hours ago

So it irked you that after spending all day with you he played a couple of hours at night? Replace all the references of video games to "book" and "reading for a couple of hours" at night and try not to sound foolish.

ITT: Proof there's still a stigma for people who play video games

quote:

[–]lcfparty15 [score hidden] 3 hours ago

Conversely who cares about your bf/gf anniversary? That poo poo happens every year or month or week or whatever. Red dead 2 is a once in a decade thing. I’m Ten years married and my wife and I wouldn’t jam each other up over an anniversary. But some people love a good sentimental pout so I don’t expect a positive response.

":qq: But video games are always the most important thing! Why aren't you planning your entire life around them?? :qq:"

...to say that Red Dead Redemption 1 wasn't good enough to be this excited about 2.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 24, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am more excited about playing Internet Poker with crazy fat lunatic Mr. Hyde characters in RDR2 than I am any other aspect of the game.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Redditors will trivialize rape but if you insult games you've crossed a line.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
as if both of them aren't going to have their phones with them to play lovely phone games anyway. let the poor man bring his Xbox

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

!Klams posted:

Yeah, I mean, to be clear, I'm not saying "In my opinion, on a deeper read, the allegory is strong" I mean there's a clear cut secret story there with all clues and poo poo and its well done and kind of harrowing.

did you figure out that the reason dad is obsessed with the jfk assassination, and all his novels have the protagonist traveling back in time to that day, is that the crazy uncle did something to him on that day, when he was a kid? I didn't, I had to read it somewhere. I knew the timeline was important but I never realized how it lined up

TheScott2K posted:

How is this unpopular

"That doesn't work"
"That doesn't work"
"That doesn't work"
"That doesn't work"
"That doesn't work"

--

unpopular and borderline troll opinion although I'm sure I've said this before: Ace Combat 3 is the best game in the series, with the best soundtrack too (but the missions were incredibly drab and dull and a huge step back from AC2). it's a crime that it has never been remade, otoh I shudder to think how they could further ruin mission design and art direction (in modern and exciting ways of course)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There's only been one good Far Cry game. It's called Dying Light.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

first person melee combat is the worst kind of combat

also that game and dead island and those like it are the epitome of "running around doing a bunch of dumb bullshit"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dying light was pretty rad actually imo, but had the worst difficulty balancing. Obnoxiously hard at the beginning until you've leveled enough to make the whole thing piss easy. I thought the missions were way better than anything in Far Cry.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Uh not true, the one where you play the mutant animal man was sick

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Uh not true, the one where you play the mutant animal man was sick

There were somehow like 4 of those and nobody remembers that

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

13Pandora13 posted:

Pulling a post over from the r/relationships thread...

...to say that Red Dead Redemption 1 wasn't good enough to be this excited about 2.

I know people that are excited about a PC port of RDR2, like

1) that will ever happen;
and
2) it will ever actually be finished to a standard outside "it runs"

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Blood Dragon

"It's Sloan's bedtime, and his blanket is 6 feet of my poo poo"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I am more excited about playing Internet Poker with crazy fat lunatic Mr. Hyde characters in RDR2 than I am any other aspect of the game.

Poker Night 2 is still pretty good, Claptrap aside. Heavily armed lunatics on all sides!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

signalnoise posted:

Blood Dragon

"It's Sloan's bedtime, and his blanket is 6 feet of my poo poo"

Blood Dragon was a bad game

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Dying light was pretty rad actually imo, but had the worst difficulty balancing. Obnoxiously hard at the beginning until you've leveled enough to make the whole thing piss easy. I thought the missions were way better than anything in Far Cry.
far cry isn't about the missions though, it's about riding an elephant into battle with a mg42, taking out an armed convoy with a grenade launcher as you wingsuit past, etc

this is why just cause is the best farcry. the same reason saints row is the best GTA, really. these games know what they're about and they do it well without being full of poo poo

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 25, 2018

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nah, gta is way better than saints row

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

GTA sucks without cheat codes. The actual gameplay is bad and you apply the same logic to every single situation you end up in. At least SR has weird powers and an interesting story

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

nah, gta is way better than saints row

lol. retard.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nerds

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hitscan FPS'es suck

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Shibawanko posted:

Hitscan FPS'es suck

Came close to ruining Wolfenstein II.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

saints row is retarded, the shooting is so dumb that it puts me to sleep, you just put the reticle at head height and mash, all of the superpowers in SR4 feel like lovely mods

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Caesar Saladin posted:

saints row is retarded, the shooting is so dumb that it puts me to sleep, you just put the reticle at head height and mash, all of the superpowers in SR4 feel like lovely mods

Yeah its great Saints Row was there to take the mantle of urban wacky open world game after GTA went full Serious Business, but the actual gameplay mechanics have always been poo poo.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

OhFunny posted:

Also KOTOR 2's first level was it's best and I've replayed and stopped shortly after it because the rest of the game doesn't have that creeping sense of wrongness and mystery.

Strange you should mention this. I have a friend who likes to play RPGs and I have recommended the first two installments of the Mass Effect series but he is just not interested. He says he just couldn't accept an RPG if the setting didn't include magic, monsters, dragons and all that other 'high fantasy' tolkien style stuff.

He's completely fine with playing the Fallout games though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Valko posted:

Strange you should mention this. I have a friend who likes to play RPGs and I have recommended the first two installments of the Mass Effect series but he is just not interested. He says he just couldn't accept an RPG if the setting didn't include magic, monsters, dragons and all that other 'high fantasy' tolkien style stuff.

He's completely fine with playing the Fallout games though.

mass effect is basically just high fantasy anyway. whats the difference between an alien and an orc? a ray gun and a wand of magic missile? its all the same poo poo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fallout just calls its dungeons vaults, zombies ghouls and ogres super mutants.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I can play GTAIV and V driving stuff okay, as well as Just Cause 2's, but any other open world game with a driving mechanic just feels extremely unpleasant to me. Along that note, I wish Just Cause 2 was a bit MORE like GTA in terms of the gunplay/combat stuff. The scale of enemies, the speed, the number, the targeting, etc. I'd have way more fun with the game if I felt a bit more like my actions were less random/twitchy feeling and more like I could plan them.

Also, I've tried playing WatchDogs on the 360 two different times and the first 10-15 minutes I'm actually liking the game, but then the moment I get out on the streets all the fun of the game is instantly drained and I go right back to uninstalling it to free up HD space. The game would be much more enjoyable if you could just go around and beat people up and how you do actual vigilante stuff would be guiding the entire story.

Specifically, if the whole storyline was almost so far in the background you could end up having your game be about one of many different storylines as it plays out and it's really all based on how you're playing the game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I don't think you're alone on the driving thing. I think most games focus either on the driving or on the on-foot action, or an uncomfortable middle ground, and as a result the controls for at least one mode of movement aren't going to be as good as the other.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

hackbunny posted:

did you figure out that the reason dad is obsessed with the jfk assassination, and all his novels have the protagonist traveling back in time to that day, is that the crazy uncle did something to him on that day, when he was a kid? I didn't, I had to read it somewhere. I knew the timeline was important but I never realized how it lined up

Yeah, this is exactly what I was referring to, and why I thought it was actually a pretty good game. It doesn't flag that particular story in the way that games normally would, but, because the entire thing is about reading deeper into the families past, it kind of concreted the idea that the vague snippets and odd threads about the Dad and the house would actually have a discernable backstory. Like you don't lovingly craft that much plot about the daughter without also coming up with stuff for the rest of the house, y'know? It probably helped a lot that the main arc resonated with me and I was keen on staying with the game for a bit anyway. There's a bit in the basement with a height chart (that stops at the age the dad would have been) and an old discarded child's toy, that I saw on first blush and didn't think much of that is just crushing when you return to it.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 26, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

who drives in Just Cause 2

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
The first Red Dead Redemption was boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Sudbina posted:

The first Red Dead Redemption was boring.

The second one sounds even more boring.