Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, a lot of Booker's policy proposals fall in that square for me. He seems to generally identify the right problem (which puts him ahead of most of the competition) but then proposes the wrong (market-based, usually) solution. Any solution that involves funneling more cash into the gaping maw of the finance industry, probably not great.

Where does the maw of the finance industry come into play?

They are stored and managed by the U.S. treasury for 18 years. The only way Wall Street is even remotely involved is that you can use some of it in your IRA or retirement account.

Forcing everyone who wanted to save into a retirement fund to invest everything into a Vanguard Target Date Fund and leave it there for 18 years would be the single greatest value-enhancement in economic history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Yes?

A 19 to 20 year old couple would have access to their money for medical bills. housing, and schooling.

What are you getting at?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Forcing everyone who wanted to save into a retirement fund to invest everything into a Vanguard Target Date Fund and leave it there for 18 years would be the single greatest value-enhancement in economic history.

For the people collecting the mutual-fund fees, sure

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

For the people collecting the mutual-fund fees, sure

Good for everyone invested in them.

Go look up Vangaurd. They are a non-profit investment firm and have the cheapest products available.

You pay ~ 3 cents for every $10,000 you invest in and admiral fund from Vanguard.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yes?

A 19 to 20 year old couple would have access to their money for medical bills. housing, and schooling.

What are you getting at?

The problem with all three things is inelastic demand.

People will pay whatever it costs to not die, not live on the street, and to have a chance at a good career. Name a country that solved healthcare by saying "here's some free money if you can't afford care now it's your own fault". Zero. Name a country that solved healthcare by creating some public system that used monopsony power to control costs and guarantee care as a basic human right, that's every country with good healthcare outcomes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

The problem with all three things is inelastic demand.

People will pay whatever it costs to not die, not live on the street, and to have a chance at a good career. Name a country that solved healthcare by saying "here's some free money if you can't afford care now it's your own fault". Zero. Name a country that solved healthcare by creating some public system that used monopsony power to control costs and guarantee care as a basic human right, that's every country with good healthcare outcomes.

I mean... yeah. If you do absolutely nothing to address any other problems, then this plan won't do anything to fix them.

Breaking the generational cycle of poverty would be a massive change in American society, race relations, women's autonomy, and the political relationship of citizens and institutions.

Implementing Single-Payer does nothing to stop this from being done.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You pay ~ 3 cents for every $10,000 you invest in and admiral fund from Vanguard.

Yes it's a great option assuming I'm not a market mover who drives up prices as I buy and drives them down as I sell, which the US government investing on behalf of 330 million people would be.

Unless the US government used its resulting controlling stake in every company in the country to appoint every board of directors and run them all as public companies :ussr: then this plan would own

I mean... yeah. If you do absolutely nothing to address any other problems, then this plan won't do anything to fix them.

Breaking the generational cycle of poverty would be a massive change in American society, race relations, women's autonomy, and the political relationship of citizens and institutions.

Implementing Single-Payer does nothing to stop this from being done.

Right that is what I am saying, this doesn't solve generational poverty unless you actually fix the systems that suck capital out of poor people already, if you did that this would be a good addition, but if you don't it's not that great on its own.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 26, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

Yes it's a great option assuming I'm not a market mover who drives up prices as I buy and drives them down as I sell, which the US government investing on behalf of 330 million people would be.

Unless the US government used its resulting controlling stake in every company in the country to appoint every board of directors and run them all as public companies :marx: then this plan would own

The Expense ratio (fees) for a fund are fixed. They don't go up because they are worth more.

And the U.S. government wouldn't be controlling everything. People would decide how much they want to contribute to retirement/savings.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

VitalSigns posted:

Unless the US government used its resulting controlling stake in every company in the country to appoint every board of directors and run them all as public companies :ussr: then this plan would own

Right that is what I am saying, this doesn't solve generational poverty unless you actually fix the systems that suck capital out of poor people already, if you did that this would be a good addition, but if you don't it's not that great on its own.

Okay. I agree with you mostly, but just looking at it in different ways. I was looking at it as a bedrock of what poverty levels we accept as a baseline for every human being in America. There is this spot where you can fall no further,.Bookers plan is very smartly designed and it should be the new baseline for the American dream. But on it's own it won't change the WHOLE SYSTEM of interconnected businesses and agencies.

When combined with other programs, it could effectively save people who fall through the cracks of a welfare state by having poor/addict/irresponsible/crazy/whatever parents. The social impact would be huge, but kind of muted by the idea of a full array of other social programs.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Expense ratio (fees) for a fund are fixed. They don't go up because they are worth more.

Forcing everyone in the country to invest in the stock market is not a retirement plan and wouldn't get the same returns that you as an individual expect, because a retirement plan of that size would be the market. Market prices would be essentially determined by the buying and selling that this Vanguard megafund does meaning you would just get out the same money you put in, less fees.

Dividends would of course be insignificant because the P/E ratios of every stock on the exchange just exploded when you dumped $40,000 x 330 million Americans = $13.2 trillion into equities

E: The massive one-time run-up when you start dumping in all this money would be great for everyone who currently owns stock (the top 1% own nearly all of it) of course, which is why they're always pushing for this

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 26, 2018

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

This just sounds like when Bush wanted to turn Social Security into a 401K for some reason.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I think the main thing with Booker's plan is that it is "your" money and not a bad person's welfare. Being universal gives it buy in.

And even if it doesn't solve every problem with poverty in America, it would be a pretty amazing thing that in America - a country where your blood determined your life trajectory from the day you were born - could have a society where, no matter how bad with money your parents were or how impoverished your neighborhood is, you have some control over your life. You can choose to go to college, get a house, not be ruined by a medical bill, or save your money and figure out what to do with it later. There is a floor on the level of poverty we allow in America.

That is the combination of "Well-crafted public policy program that is easy to administer" and "inspirational American Dream marketing sale connected to the program" that the Dems really need.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

I think the main thing with Booker's plan is that it is "your" money and not a bad person's welfare. Being universal gives it buy in.

And even if it doesn't solve every problem with poverty in America, it would be a pretty amazing thing that in America - a country where your blood determined your life trajectory from the day you were born - could have a society where, no matter how bad with money your parents were or how impoverished your neighborhood is, you have some control over your life. You can choose to go to college, get a house, not be ruined by a medical bill, or save your money and figure out what to do with it later. There is a floor on the level of poverty we allow in America.

That is the combination of "Well-crafted public policy program that is easy to administer" and "inspirational American Dream marketing sale connected to the program" that the Dems really need.

you left off the "doesn't actually work due to failing to address any of the actual problems" in your description of its benefits. weird.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nope it's means-tested to ensure it punishes the poor for working: above $25,000 in household income for a 4-person family every dollar you make costs each kid 8 cents (16 cents for the household) every year. For each dollar above $25,000 you earn every year, each kid loses $1.80 off their final balance or a loss of $3.60 for the whole household :toot:

And it's actually worse than that if it doesn't ramp but has hard cliffs like in the table, then you really do lose money by working more in some situations

If you have two parents making only $10/hr you're at 175% of the poverty line and each child gets only $23,948 which is hardly a solution for generational poverty

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 26, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm not sure if you can really call something universal if it only applies to a non-trivial extent to the very poor (and the amount shrinks very quickly the instant a family goes from being "extremely poor" to just "kinda poor").

Can this money be used to pay for rent or healthcare? Because if it's specifically limited to homes, education, and retirement, that's really bad. Most poor people are not going to be getting houses, and there are problems with affording education beyond just the tuition (though paying for tuition obviously helps).

Stuff like single-payer, free public housing, and free higher education all seem to address these problems better (but I guess they don't give a huge windfall to the wealthy due to a ton of money suddenly flowing into the stock market).

edit: Like, this would obviously be better than nothing, but it's absolutely not "smart" in any sense (given there are far better ways to solve the problem of people being unable to afford necessities)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 26, 2018

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Even in the insane world where BookerBucks passes into law, it just lasts one mid-term cycle before the Republicans roar back into power vowing to destroy this welfare program that selectively favours poor minorities.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

Even in the insane world where BookerBucks passes into law, it just lasts one mid-term cycle before the Republicans roar back into power vowing to destroy this welfare program that selectively favours poor minorities.

Seriously, the Republican voter base of FYGM suburbanites gets an insignificant amount of money from this plan gently caress yeah they'd vote to cut the poo poo out of it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
That Booker plan is stupid af. What would happen is that even if, by some miracle, it all works out without being sabotaged at some point is that exactly eighteen years after it goes into effect a huge amount of money would be dumped into the target sectors, which obviously would lead to everyone in those sectors jacking up prices, and in doing so loving over everybody who was born too soon to get the benefits from said program.

Imagine if you're a twenty-year-old struggling to pay yourself through college and all of a sudden a buncha eighteen-year-olds flush with cash cause your university to significantly raise the tuition fees? Motherfuck, the GOP would have a field day turning those people against the Booker plan and the Dems in general, because they could say that you're getting screwed because of it and it'd be true. It's exactly the same kind of bullshit policy that bad dems always push that lets the GOP go all divide and conquer on the electorate. It's literally setting yourself up for a massive defeat down the line and for no goddamn reason other than to make a buncha lanyards feel smart about themselves.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 26, 2018

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Can this money be used to pay for rent or healthcare? Because if it's specifically limited to homes, education, and retirement, that's really bad. Most poor people are not going to be getting houses, and there are problems with affording education beyond just the tuition (though paying for tuition obviously helps).

Booker's answer to "what can this money be spent on" is generally "we don't know, but generally wealth building activities. We'll have 20 years to figure it out."

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well that sure as gently caress is going to sell the plan to the voters.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
On a recent ep of The Weeds Matty Yglesias really lays out why this plan sucks. Off the top of my head some of the reasons were:

- complicated means testing scheme with steep cliffs which will necessarily mean more paperwork and parental income verification for the beneficiaries

- You can spend this money on the down payment of a house without an explanation of who is giving out all of these mortgages to people 18-25 years old with low incomes and little to no credit history

- No one will get a dime of benefits until 18 years after the legislation is passed, which means all it takes is one period of unified republican administration and congress to wipe it out, and there will be no constituency who will be voting in droves to protect a hypothetical future entitlement (which is the same thing that happened to a similar program in the UK)

- There is nothing to prevent colleges from simply raising tuition to capture the extra money that they’d be otherwise leaving on the table

And one other thing I thought of - assuming it passes and doesn’t get dismantled in the nearly 2-decade phase in period, does it have a provision to increase the base payment with time to account for inflation?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SousaphoneColossus posted:

On a recent ep of The Weeds Matty Yglesias really lays out why this plan sucks. Off the top of my head some of the reasons were:

- complicated means testing scheme with steep cliffs which will necessarily mean more paperwork and parental income verification for the beneficiaries

- You can spend this money on the down payment of a house without an explanation of who is giving out all of these mortgages to people 18-25 years old with low incomes and little to no credit history

- No one will get a dime of benefits until 18 years after the legislation is passed, which means all it takes is one period of unified republican administration and congress to wipe it out, and there will be no constituency who will be voting in droves to protect a hypothetical future entitlement (which is the same thing that happened to a similar program in the UK)

- There is nothing to prevent colleges from simply raising tuition to capture the extra money that they’d be otherwise leaving on the table

And one other thing I thought of - assuming it passes and doesn’t get dismantled in the nearly 2-decade phase in period, does it have a provision to increase the base payment with time to account for inflation?

Hahah, goddam

It's kindof amazing how these huge workshopped plans can be thrown together and do so little to actually address problems

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Hahah, goddam

It's kindof amazing how these huge workshopped plans can be thrown together and do so little to actually address problems

Consider that it is designed to address problems other than those you are worried about, such as 'How can we make the financial sector vastly more profitable and transfer money to the top 1%?'.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Booker will not be President ever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Imagine if Social Security hadn't started paying out until 1975 when the first young people from the 30s retired.

We probably would have lost the 1936 elections and joined the other side in wwii

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd like to hear how that plan is going to stop parents from abusing their 18 year old child's formation years

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Not a Step posted:

Sadly thats not a disqualifying defect for the Democrats in the year 2020. It might even be a positive for her.

This isn't the hot takes thread, kiddo.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, with the amount of cost inflation in higher education, it isn't really that impressive. Basically, it is taking the EITC from Kamala and basically locking it up for 18 years (and yeah having it being thrown into a downpayment isn't going to end well).

Also you could I dunno...just increase pell grants rather than some "wonkish" solution.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Here's a solution to everything:

Pre-reagan tax brackets adjusted for inflation.

Then do all the fun leftist stuff that makes society sane.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, raising brackets isn't as necessary as just closing all the loopholes they have popped up (carried interest) and just start taxing all income the same way (more brackets wouldn't hurt).

Also, the US probably could get buy with MMT if it wanted to.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/HootHootBerns/status/1055821466741207041

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hellblazer187 posted:

Here's a solution to everything:

Pre-reagan tax brackets adjusted for inflation.

Then do all the fun leftist stuff that makes society sane.

Unfortunately, this will be the response to sane propositions like yours in 2018 America:

MAGA idiot: oh, u mean the fun leftist stuff that got us 12 years of republican Presidents beginning in 1980? THAT fun leftist stuff? gently caress off socialist

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Those MAGA kids probably have college paid by their parents and are still on their parents' health insurance. They don't give a poo poo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Someone pointed it out and now I can't stop noticing it.

Everyone with a Rose emoji or anarchist flag in their twitter profile name has an anime avatar.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Slutitution posted:

Unfortunately, this will be the response to sane propositions like yours in 2018 America:

MAGA idiot: oh, u mean the fun leftist stuff that got us 12 years of republican Presidents beginning in 1980? THAT fun leftist stuff? gently caress off socialist

You'll never convince the chuds. The only way out is convincing non chuds to support and vote. Only way to do that is to show you actually give a poo poo about their needs.

Also no I'm talking about leftist stuff LBJ and FDR couldn't get through in their time. UHC, UBI, free pre k free uni. Fix poo poo for real.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Someone pointed it out and now I can't stop noticing it.

Everyone with a Rose emoji or anarchist flag in their twitter profile name has an anime avatar.

I have not even remotely noticed this trend. Just in the visible comments of that tweet there are 5 rose emojis with non-anime avatars (and zero with anime avatars).

Also do you still think the Booker plan is "very smart" after the various issues people have mentioned?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I have not even remotely noticed this trend. Just in the visible comments of that tweet there are 5 rose emojis with non-anime avatars (and zero with anime avatars).

Also do you still think the Booker plan is "very smart" after the various issues people have mentioned?

asking LT2012 if he still thinks a thing he posted previously is an express route to him finding somewhere else to be in a hurry, for reasons that include his expressed opinions on whether or not it is possible to count to six million.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Haha, it's LT2012, even if he's factually wrong because he misread an article he will double down for 20 pages of bad faith arguments and fishmeching

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ytlaya posted:

Is... is your AV from an anime?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Is... is your AV from an anime?

Did you know on this forum, people can buy other people avatars? Also stop trying to lay the weakest burn ever on rose Twitter.