Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best part is that birch trees turn yellow, not orange so they didn't even fake it properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

xzzy posted:

Best part is that birch trees turn yellow, not orange so they didn't even fake it properly.

An accurate representation of real life doesn’t matter if you get a whole lot of internet points.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mAlfunkti0n posted:

"realistically"

I am not sure he knows the meaning of that word. Nothing about that photo looks real to me.

This guy lives near me (sort of). I went to his facebook page....they're all HDR tonemapped crap.

Oh, and those leaves are green or yellow. That's it, the only two things that occur on them in nature.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This guy is currently getting poo poo on by the internet for a series of wedding photos, but what what really drew me in is the lovely job he does processing his lame pictures.

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2016/07/17/traveling-scared-to-death-and-thats-ok-interview-with-john-milton/

The cherry on top: poor taste, racism, and HDR!

https://www.businessinsider.com/viral-wedding-pictures-from-congo-reactions-2018-10?r=UK&IR=T

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Wrong, best comment was, “A Korok pops up. ‘You found me!’”

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

That combination of hashtags is a work of art itself.

Can we just permanently append "#wanderlust" to the thread title?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

pseudorandom posted:

That combination of hashtags is a work of art itself.

Can we just permanently append "#wanderlust" to the thread title?
Photography... is lifee...

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

xzzy posted:

This guy is currently getting poo poo on by the internet for a series of wedding photos, but what what really drew me in is the lovely job he does processing his lame pictures.

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2016/07/17/traveling-scared-to-death-and-thats-ok-interview-with-john-milton/

Of course Eric Kim gives a canned, uncritical advertiview.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Never heard of Eric Kim, is he another Ken?

Since this dude is currently deleting himself from the internet I took samples of his shots anywhere I could get them.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

xzzy posted:

Not quite, but close. More than anything I feel like he's a watered-down Thorsten Overgaard knockoff who would love to swing the luxury-brand partnerships but can't quite make it happen.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's phenomenal how bad taste it is.

I suppose this is what you get when you give someone who takes "moving" photos of the local homeless sleeping in a park too much money and a Leica.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

I didn't even notice it at first, but the bottom left of that looks like what happens when you try to tie a knot using the curves tool.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Megabound posted:

It's phenomenal how bad taste it is.

I suppose this is what you get when you give someone who takes "moving" photos of the local homeless sleeping in a park too much money and a Leica.

Joe vs. the volcano sequel looking pretty grim. :thunk:

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
Christ... that makes my tag use look like a Hugo award winning novel by comparison.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
#natgeo

Fire.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

xzzy posted:

Since this dude is currently deleting himself from the internet I took samples of his shots anywhere I could get them.

This is still there, http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2017/06/05/outside-of-the-box-congo-wedding-shoot-with-the-leica-m10-by-john-r-milton/

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
dang, steve rockin' that leica. what a good photographer...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:barf:

Someone take away this guy's clarity slider.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

quote:

This project succeeds by the fact that no-one found them dull.
Love them or hate them, they are a kick in the pants.
I love them.

quote:

drat those definitely look like images from $10k worth of kit. I rarely feel that way with Leica submissions.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The $10k kit is the computer needed to get Lightroom to process images without grinding away.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Powerful.

quote:

I encourage nothing, but will post the work of others who are passionate about their work. John is, and his photos are interesting and outside the box, as he says. I am not one to censor what photographers shoot as long as it is legal. Also, some look way too deep into it and warp it into something else. Take it for what it is
Also lol this Steve Huff seems like a real deep thinker.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

President Beep posted:

dang, steve rockin' that leica. what a good photographer...

Of course he has a Leica.

It's inconceivable that he wouldn't.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

spog posted:

Of course he has a Leica.

It's inconceivable that he wouldn't.

How many “please help support my family” affiliate links do you have to click to get a Leica?

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Edit: I'm dumb

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

pseudorandom posted:

Edit: I'm dumb

Same, OP.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This exchange in a local camera club Facebook page amused me. The photo posted was your usual super generic, spur of the moment group portrait thing. No real care given to surroundings (I remember there being the back of a car in shot), no lighting etc. Standard snapshot, and didn’t look like it was trying to be another other than that, so no ego or anything which is refreshing at least. Had been over processed as is expected, but the conversation under it gave me a surprised laugh at least.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

This exchange in a local camera club Facebook page amused me. The photo posted was your usual super generic, spur of the moment group portrait thing. No real care given to surroundings (I remember there being the back of a car in shot), no lighting etc. Standard snapshot, and didn’t look like it was trying to be another other than that, so no ego or anything which is refreshing at least. Had been over processed as is expected, but the conversation under it gave me a surprised laugh at least.

Is he a lawyer or is he a dentist?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, neither it seems. Looks more working class from his profile. I’m shocked too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are you sure the person asking the question isn't their dummy account getting used to trigger an excuse to brag about their equipment lineup?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Tag yourself, I'm the dude doing the mirror selfie with my camera up to my face and the pop-up flash on.

I have a story of, maybe not a bad photographer, but definitely a very 'special' person. I got a FB message from some random dude a while ago. He'd seen me post in a local photography group and realised he lived close to me so wanted to know if I was up for a drink and some camera chat. I said sure and we met up, he was a nice enough guy, shoots mostly 6x6 medium format with a nice Hasselblad setup, seemed pretty chill. I told him about a place I'd been to recently with dead trains rusting away on a railway siding and he was pretty interested in going out there, so I gave him detailed instructions on how to get there and what to expect from security etc once there. I get a Fb message from him a few days later which was basically, 'hey I'm at that place you told me about and it's nothing like you described'. I'm like, ok, unless they literally dug the whole place up and replaced it in the last two weeks I don't see how that's possible. I ask him to send me his location, which he does, and he's in a completely different place. Like, not even on the same railway network. I point this out and he comes back with 'well there are trains here, I thought it was the same place!'. I spend an hour of my life that I will never get back trying to get him to understand that trains can be found in different places, and that just because he stumbled over trains in one place, that doesn't mean that there can't also be trains in a different location too.' I honesty thought he was winding me up because I didn't think anyone could be that dense. It wasn't a language barrier thing either, he's a native English speaker and so am I.

A few weeks later, he contacts me again. He's heard about Helios bokeh and wants to try it out. Do I have a spare Helios 44 that I can lend him? Of course I have a bunch of them so I invite him over, lend him an M42 to EF adapter (he wants to use it on his 5D4), a bunch of random Soviet lenses and explain to him how the preselector ring works because he's never seen that before. It takes a while, but he finally gets it. The very next day he asks if he can meet me at lunchtime because it's an emergency - my office is close to where he lives so he can be there in a few minutes. I go down to the lobby to see wtf. He tells me that the adapter (just a dumb mechanical adapter) is stuck. He can't get it off the camera. I take a look, and he's somehow managed to put it on upside down. It's a super cheap Polish bit of cast metal, but it has the EF/EF-S red dot/white square registration marks on the body side - just like every lens that he's ever attached to his camera - and it has laser etched text on the front that is the right way up when it's mounted properly. By applying a lot more force than I'm really comfortable in using on a $4000 camera that doesn't belong to me, I get it off and explain to him how to mount lenses. He is honestly astonished by this, it had never occurred to him that lenses would only fit one way, or that adapters would fit exactly the same way as lenses do. Apparently he had to hammer it on to make it fit and it didn't occur to him that this was a bad thing.

Today, I get another message from him asking how he can 'switch focusing' with the Jupiter I lent him. I ask him what he means. He says that when he uses his Minolta SLR, there's a split prism in the focusing window, but when he puts the Jupiter on his 5D4 it's really hard to focus, Can the Jupiter lens have that same split prism? I ask him how the lens can have those focusing aids without it being visible on the image and he tells me that's what the mirror is for.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 26, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Helen Highwater posted:

Tag yourself, I'm the dude doing the mirror selfie with my camera up to my face and the pop-up flash on.

I have a story of, maybe not a bad photographer, but definitely a very 'special' person. I got a FB message from some random dude a while ago. He'd seen me post in a local photography group and realised he lived close to me so wanted to know if I was up for a drink and some camera chat. I said sure and we met up, he was a nice enough guy, shoots mostly 6x6 medium format with a nice Hasselblad setup, seemed pretty chill. I told him about a place I'd been to recently with dead trains rusting away on a railway siding and he was pretty interested in going out there, so I gave him detailed instructions on how to get there and what to expect from security etc once there. I get a Fb message from him a few days later which was basically, 'hey I'm at that place you told me about and it's nothing like you described'. I'm like, ok, unless they literally dug the whole place up and replaced it in the last two weeks I don't see how that's possible. I ask him to send me his location, which he does, and he's in a completely different place. Like, not even on the same railway network. I point this out and he comes back with 'well there are trains here, I thought it was the same place!'. I spend an hour of my life that I will never get back trying to get him to understand that trains can be found in different places, and that just because he stumbled over trains in one place, that doesn't mean that there can't also be trains in a different location too.' I honesty thought he was winding me up because I didn't think anyone could be that dense. It wasn't a language barrier thing either, he's a native English speaker and so am I.

A few weeks later, he contacts me again. He's heard about Helios bokeh and wants to try it out. Do I have a spare Helios 44 that I can lend him? Of course I have a bunch of them so I invite him over, lend him an M42 to EF adapter (he wants to use it on his 5D4), a bunch of random Soviet lenses and explain to him how the preselector ring works because he's never seen that before. It takes a while, but he finally gets it. The very next day he asks if he can meet me at lunchtime because it's an emergency - my office is close to where he lives so he can be there in a few minutes. I go down to the lobby to see wtf. He tells me that the adapter (just a dumb mechanical adapter) is stuck. He can't get it off the camera. I take a look, and he's somehow managed to put it on upside down. It's a super cheap Polish bit of cast metal, but it has the EF/EF-S red dot/white square registration marks on the body side - just like every lens that he's ever attached to his camera - and it has laser etched text on the front that is the right way up when it's mounted properly. By applying a lot more force than I'm really comfortable in using on a $4000 camera that doesn't belong to me, I get it off and explain to him how to mount lenses. He is honestly astonished by this, it had never occurred to him that lenses would only fit one way, or that adapters would fit exactly the same way as lenses do. Apparently he had to hammer it on to make it fit and it didn't occur to him that this was a bad thing.

Today, I get another message from him asking how he can 'switch focusing' with the Jupiter I lent him. I ask him what he means. He says that when he uses his Minolta SLR, there's a split prism in the focusing window, but when he puts the Jupiter on his 5D4 it's really hard to focus, Can the Jupiter lens have that same split prism? I ask him how the lens can have those focusing aids without it being visible on the image and he tells me that's what the mirror is for.

Omg, haha that is all just gold. I would ask if he was just trolling you since who the hell take a hammer to a lens to get it on but I guess not. I mean, wow.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I use my leica to hammer adapters into my 5D 4. :smug:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Helen Highwater posted:

The very next day he asks if he can meet me at lunchtime because it's an emergency - my office is close to where he lives so he can be there in a few minutes. I go down to the lobby to see wtf. He tells me that the adapter (just a dumb mechanical adapter) is stuck. He can't get it off the camera. I take a look, and he's somehow managed to put it on upside down. It's a super cheap Polish bit of cast metal, but it has the EF/EF-S red dot/white square registration marks on the body side - just like every lens that he's ever attached to his camera - and it has laser etched text on the front that is the right way up when it's mounted properly. By applying a lot more force than I'm really comfortable in using on a $4000 camera that doesn't belong to me, I get it off and explain to him how to mount lenses. He is honestly astonished by this, it had never occurred to him that lenses would only fit one way, or that adapters would fit exactly the same way as lenses do. Apparently he had to hammer it on to make it fit and it didn't occur to him that this was a bad thing.

I reached this part prepared to be sympathetic...i have an m42 to fuji adapter, and it can go on wrong, it just won't click into place....so if you put the lens on without looking, it can just not be on right, and i could see someone jamming it too hard to try to get it to engage. Nope, you've got a winner there. If I could offer some small advice? Stop lending him gear.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Helen Highwater posted:

:aaaaa:

I got a good laugh out of this during my morning dump. How do people this dumb make it so far into life?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Helen Highwater posted:

I have a story

This is great. Please keep meeting up with this guy, I love the stories.

I'm particularly amused by the bit about an hour of your life you won't get back trying to explain the concept of "trains".

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

:aaaaa:

I got a good laugh out of this during my morning dump. How do people this dumb make it so far into life?

Other dumb people help them along the way. It's like the freemasons, only for idiots.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

ExecuDork posted:

This is great. Please keep meeting up with this guy, I love the stories.
I reckon he doesn't have a choice – Forest Gump has now firmly latched on to him and nothing short of faking his own death will work...

rio
Mar 20, 2008

They are now friends forever. This is probably for the best because he would likely hurt himself trying to remove lenses he hammered on to camera bodies without someone to help and never have a true understanding of what trains are.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

It’s like the old warner brother cartoons where the cat and the dog were shackled together, only it’s two people trying to pull a camera and an adapter apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why you need that magnesium frame, a plastic body would just snap in two.