Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Lurdiak posted:

Name one good thing about it, and don't say "the concept".

The WWE Studios logo at the beginning.

Sets expectations low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LesterGroans posted:

The apple/lightbulb part.

I hate Oculus, but that's definitely one good part.

Yeah that part's all right.

sponges posted:

The concept.

(Please don't tell me to kill my self Lurdiak)

Hey I never told anyone to kill themselves.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

poser brain: Mike Flanagan is a good director

small brain (still a poser): Mike Flanagans movies are mostly good

big brain: Mike Flanagan is bad but hes made one or two good movies

Galaxy brain (Kvlt! and Lurdiak only, no trace of poser-ness): LMAO at the posers itt who think Mike Flanagan has done anything but suck his whole career

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Looking through Flanagan’s filmography, he’s directed at least five good films. Pretty solid director.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kvlt! posted:

poser brain: Mike Flanagan is a good director

small brain (still a poser): Mike Flanagans movies are mostly good

big brain: Mike Flanagan is bad but hes made one or two good movies

Galaxy brain (Kvlt! and Lurdiak only, no trace of poser-ness): LMAO at the posers itt who think Mike Flanagan has done anything but suck his whole career

This but James Wan.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

The apple/lightbulb part.

I hate Oculus, but that's definitely one good part.

I also really like a lot of the first act's suspense and build-up. Everything before the house, like the antique store sections, are creepy. And it didn't really hold back punches on certain aspects. What happens to the mom is hosed up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

sponges posted:

Looking through Flanagan's filmography, he's directed at least five good films. Pretty solid director.

Looking through Flanagan's filmography-

quote:

Bone Detectives (TV Series)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

This but James Wan.

youre officially on the list of galaxy-brained non-posers (Kvlt!, Lurdiak, and Neo Rasa)

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Looking through Flanagan's filmography-

What about it?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I haven't seen a single Flanagan movie, get on my level

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

married but discreet posted:

I haven't seen a single Flanagan movie, get on my level

Check out Oculus, Gerlads Game and Hush. Good poo poo.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've mentioned it so many times, but I think Absentia is really bad.

Hush and Oculus are flawed but solid flicks that are worth one watch. edit: Still haven't watched Gerald's Game yet.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think Gerald’s Game is easily his best, though I could have done without the molestation scene, but that’s more of a Stephen King issue.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I'm always surprised at any kind of strong opinion of Flanagan

SMP
May 5, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

I think Gerald’s Game is easily his best, though I could have done without the molestation scene, but that’s more of a Stephen King issue.

That scene absolutely ruined that actor for me. He keeps popping up in every Flanagan project and I can never not see him as that creep anymore.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lurdiak posted:

Name one good thing about it, and don't say "the concept".

The ghosts with the shiny mirror eyes were good for making you jump, and I'm fond of obfuscated reality in films.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
There was a Bollywood remake of Oculus called Dobaara: See Your Evil in 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFBmE0RTmr0

Just fyi

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

sponges posted:

What about it?

It's just one of the top 10 titles for a TV show I've ever heard.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Now that I think about it, Oculus would have been a lot better if it leaned into the WWE Studios thing and had the mirror offing people with Stone Cold Stunners, The People’s Elbow, etc.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
edit: wrong thread

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 26, 2018

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

K. Waste posted:

Jaded parents have been saying since time immemorial that "all that tv/comics/vidya games are gonna rot your brain" and, well, it turns out, it's a fair cop, it totally rotted lots of people's brains.

Personally speaking, it was mainly lead paint that did it because we didn’t have a tv for a long time there.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

mysterious frankie posted:

Personally speaking, it was mainly lead paint that did it because we didn’t have a tv for a long time there.

lol, wrong thread sorry folks

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

mysterious frankie posted:

The WWE Studios logo at the beginning.

Sets expectations low.

Undertaker and Kane never showed up, it really failed to meet the expectations it set.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

I've mentioned it so many times, but I think Absentia is really bad.

Hush and Oculus are flawed but solid flicks that are worth one watch. edit: Still haven't watched Gerald's Game yet.

Did you get that blue star through some sort of violent coup or was it bequeathed to you peacefully?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if anyone gets a blue star it should be me lurdiak and neo rasa

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

sponges posted:

Did you get that blue star through some sort of violent coup or was it bequeathed to you peacefully?

It was bequeathed to me peacefully, through democratic suggestion.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean there was a handful of assassinations and one or two fire bombings but it was mostly peaceful transfer of power.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 26, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Time to finally break out all my anti-werewolf themed mod sass.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Slice is streaming on Amazon Prime.

An A24 production, it's written and directed by Austin Vesely, whose most notable previous works include the music videos to Sunday Candy and Angels for Chance the Rapper. The film only wants to be a black comedy horror B-movie, and pretty much pulls it off.

https://i.imgur.com/0fQGRbo.gifv

The town of Kingfisher, home to the mass grave of 40,000 people at the Halcyon Days asylum, is cursed to have the ghosts of the dead walk among them. When pizza delivery boys start getting murdered, the town searches for the culprit.

Chance (the Rapper) Bennet plays Dax, a 1000 year old werewolf & scooter-driving Chinese food delivery boy, who also is a metaphor for a scapegoated and/or model minority.
Zazie Beetz plays Astrid, a delivery driver driven for vengeance after the death of her boyfriend (played by Austin Vesely).
Rae Gray plays Sadie, an investigative reporter trying to get to the bottom of the murders.
Chris Parnell plays Mayor Tracy, trying to manage the PR nightmare by leaning on the police to charge a ghost or a drug lord or a werewolf.
Paul Scheer plays Jack, the owner of Perfect Pizza, in steadfast denial that the murders of his delivery boys has anything to do with the building being built on the former site of the asylum's mass grave.
Marilyn Dodds Frank plays Vera, the head of Justice 40,000, a local group advocating for the rights of the dead, while also accusing them of perpetrating the killings.
Y'lan Noel plays the big cheese, a local drug lord who is in the movie for about 4 minutes.
Joe Keery and Hannibal Buress are also in the movie.

Its 80 minutes long. The soundtrack kicks rear end, and the cinematography is at times surprisingly good. Some of the characters are written a bit 1-dimensionally dumb, and the movie probably isn't as funny as it wants to be, but it doesn't veer into being unfunny, just silly. the premise could have made for a bad movie, but it works well for itself. It's not an instant horror classic, but not a waste of time either. To rip off someone else's review, it may make it as a cult stoner comedy.

In short,

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BioThermo posted:

directed by Austin Vesely, whose most notable previous works include the music videos to Sunday Candy and Angels for Chance the Rapper. The film only wants to be a black comedy horror B-movie

Sold.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

BioThermo posted:

An A24 production, it's written and directed by Austin Vesely, whose most notable previous works include the music videos to Sunday Candy and Angels for Chance the Rapper. The film only wants to be a black comedy horror B-movie, and pretty much pulls it off.

The town of Kingfisher, home to the mass grave of 40,000 people at the Halcyon Days asylum, is cursed to have the ghosts of the dead walk among them. When pizza delivery boys start getting murdered, the town searches for the culprit.

Chance (the Rapper) Bennet plays Dax, a 1000 year old werewolf & scooter-driving Chinese food delivery boy, who also is a metaphor for a scapegoated and/or model minority.
Zazie Beetz plays Astrid, a delivery driver driven for vengeance after the death of her boyfriend (played by Austin Vesely).
Rae Gray plays Sadie, an investigative reporter trying to get to the bottom of the murders.
Chris Parnell plays Mayor Tracy, trying to manage the PR nightmare by leaning on the police to charge a ghost or a drug lord or a werewolf.
Paul Scheer plays Jack, the owner of Perfect Pizza, in steadfast denial that the murders of his delivery boys has anything to do with the building being built on the former site of the asylum's mass grave.
Marilyn Dodds Frank plays Vera, the head of Justice 40,000, a local group advocating for the rights of the dead, while also accusing them of perpetrating the killings.
Y'lan Noel plays the big cheese, a local drug lord who is in the movie for about 4 minutes.

Its 80 minutes long. The soundtrack kicks rear end, and the cinematography is at times surprisingly good. Some of the characters are written a bit 1-dimensionally dumb, and the movie probably isn't as funny as it wants to be, but it doesn't veer into being unfunny, just silly. the premise could have made for a bad movie, but it works well for itself. It's not an instant horror classic, but not a waste of time either. To rip off someone else's review, it may make it as a cult stoner comedy.

In short,

Okay, I'm watching this tomorrow, Fright Night tonight.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Rewatched The Witch and it's better than I remembered, and I remembered it being nearly perfect. Very impatient for Eggers' next film The Lighthouse now.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

K. Waste posted:

Okay, I'm watching this tomorrow, Fright Night tonight.

They're all good (except for the sequel to the remake, which I haven't seen), but which Fright Night?

e: there's some great glam imagery in the sequel to the original

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 26, 2018

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Nroo posted:

Rewatched The Witch and it's better than I remembered, and I remembered it being nearly perfect. Very impatient for Eggers' next film The Lighthouse now.

The Witch owns and I will literally fight anyone who says otherwise.

I’m really stoked for The Lighthouse but also I want Eggers to do more Puritan movies because I really love the Puritans and he actually totally gets them.

I would offer him my body if it meant more Puritan movies. Maybe an adaptation of The Scarlet Letter that’s actually spooky and good like the book.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Egger's next film sounds sick, but I'm also very disappointed he put his Dracula adaptation on the backburner.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

BioThermo posted:

In short,

I can play RDR2 later... this is gonna be my friday night.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I love Texas Chainsaw Massacre II. It's like if Jeffrey Dahmer directed a B-52's music video.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

It's like if Jeffrey Dahmer directed a B-52's music video.

Stop tempting me with a new thread title.

SMP
May 5, 2009

TCM2 is really the Rosetta Stone to Rob Zombie. 1000 Corpses is the horror comedy TCM, and TCM2 is the horror comedy Devil's Rejects. Everything else sprouts from these movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Franchescanado posted:

Stop tempting me with a new thread title.

Oh hey! I didn't know you got Little Blue Star duty. Congrats!