Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

kimcicle posted:

I bit the bullet and bought a G703 today. No mice cord cleans up the desk nicely, and I seriously cannot tell the difference in response time between it and my old Rival 300. The shape is a little funkier than I was expecting (sticks out a little too far up in the back for my taste) but overall fits my hand better than the Rival did.

The logitech wireless tech is the real deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Sort of regretting getting the G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM MLG420 instead of a wireless mouse.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

The G502 is by no means bad, though. You could always get a Logitech LIGHTSPEED wireless mouse and/or the POWERPLAY system, and then keep the G502 for backup or re-sell it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
My Logtiech G5 was a beast. Scroll wheel ended up dying though so I said gently caress it I'll go wireless with an MX Master.

I bought my G5 new and it lasted about a decade. The MX Master is hosed already. I've had it two years (and it only has a 1 year warranty) and everything works fine! Except the sensor to move it. Tried all the troubleshooting steps, different receiver, cycling power, different PCs, etc. Nada.

Logitech still makes great mice. But hosed I'm pissed that an AU$100 mouse lasted 2 years.

At this stage I'm debating getting a MX Master 2S (I loved the feel of the MX) and possibly dealing with it dying in a short time, or going another route.

And no, I'm not opening it up to check wires or some poo poo. It cost enough that I should've gotten more use than this without needing home hackery.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If you paid for it in Australian dollars, use that vaunted Australian return policy?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I plan to talk to the retailer (JB Hifi) but there's no guarantee I'll get anywhere. Nothing I have found specifies a given timeframe for a warranty except "reasonable expectations" which could be argued both for me that 2 years is poo poo or against because computer poo poo is upgraded all the time.

I guess I'm more pissed that I have to deal with this at all.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I think you can argue that you expect a $100 mouse to last 2 years. Computer peripherals generally don’t die.

They might play the “only $100” card but it’s a mouse, that’s high on the price scale

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Anyone have experience with the "Swiftpoint Z?" :confused:

syntaxfunction posted:

My Logtiech G5 was a beast. Scroll wheel ended up dying though so I said gently caress it I'll go wireless with an MX Master.

I bought my G5 new and it lasted about a decade. The MX Master is hosed already. I've had it two years (and it only has a 1 year warranty) and everything works fine! Except the sensor to move it. Tried all the troubleshooting steps, different receiver, cycling power, different PCs, etc. Nada.

Logitech still makes great mice. But hosed I'm pissed that an AU$100 mouse lasted 2 years.

At this stage I'm debating getting a MX Master 2S (I loved the feel of the MX) and possibly dealing with it dying in a short time, or going another route.

And no, I'm not opening it up to check wires or some poo poo. It cost enough that I should've gotten more use than this without needing home hackery.

syntaxfunction posted:

I plan to talk to the retailer (JB Hifi) but there's no guarantee I'll get anywhere. Nothing I have found specifies a given timeframe for a warranty except "reasonable expectations" which could be argued both for me that 2 years is poo poo or against because computer poo poo is upgraded all the time.

I guess I'm more pissed that I have to deal with this at all.

Try contacting Logitech CS?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Atomizer posted:

Anyone have experience with the "Swiftpoint Z?" :confused:

I have a swiftpoint z that I picked up on sale a few weeks back.

I had a g600 and a 502 and it is kind of the best of both worlds. I haven't used the tilt functionality, but pressure sensitive keybinds and on the fly profile switching are super useful. The software is actually a joy to use. Better than razer by a mile. Not as refined as logitech, but seems to be as powerful, if not more so.

Pretty comfy, though I ended up playing with a bunch of different combos of button height and length before I found some that worked for me.

I was worried at first that I wouldn't have enough keys to bind, but now I'm looking for things to bind to my left over buttons.

Do you have specific questions?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

LordAdakos posted:

Do you have specific questions?

How about :

- How is the build quality? Does it feel like it will hold up to regular use, especially for the cost? It looks kinda "cheap" in the photos that I saw, but that could just be the lighting and/or paint job, and ultimately I don't care about aesthetics for something that's sitting under my hand the whole time.

- Would you say it's worth the discounted $100 price that I've seen it at a few times? I'm not averse to expensive mice (or I/O devices in general, considering what they are.)

Thanks for your input!

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Atomizer posted:

How about :

- How is the build quality? Does it feel like it will hold up to regular use, especially for the cost? It looks kinda "cheap" in the photos that I saw, but that could just be the lighting and/or paint job, and ultimately I don't care about aesthetics for something that's sitting under my hand the whole time.

- Would you say it's worth the discounted $100 price that I've seen it at a few times? I'm not averse to expensive mice (or I/O devices in general, considering what they are.)

Thanks for your input!

Build quality seems really solid. Feels good in the hand. Definitely does not feel cheaply made.
Parts seem to fit well and the isn't any play in the material during use. No warping or flexing.
For 100 I would buy it again. Only sad thing is I didn't get the cable bungee.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Atomizer posted:

Try contacting Logitech CS?

Logitech's Customer Support in Australia is loving pathetic and completely useless. They're even worse than Razer and only very slightly better than trying to get support from one of the random online grey market retailers.

Thankfully the consumer protection laws are pretty good so we can just go to the retailer and in most cases they have to solve it, because dealing with Logitech AU's lovely support is a nightmare.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

LordAdakos posted:

Build quality seems really solid. Feels good in the hand. Definitely does not feel cheaply made.
Parts seem to fit well and the isn't any play in the material during use. No warping or flexing.
For 100 I would buy it again. Only sad thing is I didn't get the cable bungee.

Good to know, I'll keep an eye out for it again at $100 then. I'm guessing the cable bungee you mentioned was an early backer bonus or something?

Tornhelm posted:

Logitech's Customer Support in Australia is loving pathetic and completely useless. They're even worse than Razer and only very slightly better than trying to get support from one of the random online grey market retailers.

Thankfully the consumer protection laws are pretty good so we can just go to the retailer and in most cases they have to solve it, because dealing with Logitech AU's lovely support is a nightmare.

Ah, that sucks, because they're good here in the US. :( I mean I only contacted them once, several years ago, but they sent me a new mouse of the new version of the one I was having problems with so that was my [good] experience. :shrug:

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Tornhelm posted:

logitech customer service in the us used to be legendarily good, like to the point you could just send a mouse in and get a replacement for any reason after any period of time no questions asked. i wouldn't know if it's still like that because i haven't had a problem with a logitech mouse since 2005.

Bruegels Fuckbooks fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 21, 2018

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Any opinions on the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Wireless set? The mouse is okay but I don't like it enough to buy something with a huge Windows logo on it. The keyboard was pretty nice.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Logitech NL is really nice as well. Got a replacement sent in within days of sending them the info. I'm checking with them what the next steps might be (they haven't asked me to send in the original yet which is weird).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Looks like the G502 Proteus Spectrum is on sale at Walmart + Amazon for $38.75

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Logitech-G502-Proteus-Spectrum-RGB-Turntable-Gaming-Mouse/153731886

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Spectrum-Shifting-Personalized-Programmable/dp/B019OB663A

I saw a few complaints in the reviews about the scroll wheel being a little more difficult than usual to click down or the scroll wheel rattling when moving the mouse; any truth to that?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

astral posted:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Logitech-G502-Proteus-Spectrum-RGB-Turntable-Gaming-Mouse/153731886

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Spectrum-Shifting-Personalized-Programmable/dp/B019OB663A

I saw a few complaints in the reviews about the scroll wheel being a little more difficult than usual to click down or the scroll wheel rattling when moving the mouse; any truth to that?

Yes the scroll wheel is a little more difficult for me to click down but only when I have it in "fast scroll" mode but I have gotten used to it and yes the scroll wheel rattles a little bit if you shake the mouse back and forth. My only real complaint about the G502 is that it's not wireless. Why won't Logitech make a wireless version of the G502? Are they afraid it would cut into G903 sales?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

logitech customer service in the us used to be legendarily good, like to the point you could just send a mouse in and get a replacement for any reason after any period of time no questions asked. i wouldn't know if it's still like that because i haven't had a problem with a logitech mouse since 2005.

They're still coasting on that reputation with us olds but it's not like that at all anymore. Physically I've not had a problem besides the inevitable necessary home repair on the LMB but somewhere between Windows 10 and Chrome (and FF) you can run into trouble with smooth scroll such that you can not scroll at all in either browser but you can scroll in explorer. So you end up doing a bunch of troubleshooting steps particular to a browser before you find out it's smoothscroll that's at fault. Then on the Logitech support forums someone says hallelujah my problem has been solved and the solution is to turn off the feature. :thunk:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
all their mouse molds aside from the G403 and GPro were destroyed in a factory fire

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I can't wait for the G503 which will be the G403 but with another software gimmick.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

but also the problem with simply making the G502 wireless is that the G502 is already a heavy mouse and adding even more tech would put its weight into the MX Master league of heavy rear end mice that e-athletes wouldn't touch.

I think that's why the modern Logitech gaming mice are so feature-bare, which is a shame.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Any suggestions for an optical successor to the G400s?

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Less Fat Luke posted:

Any suggestions for an optical successor to the G400s?

Two options: Nixeus Revel Fit and the Logitech G MX518. The Revel releases in about 9 days, and the G MX518 was released in China and is set to release sometime at a later date worldwide.

I have the Revel Fit preordered and just got a shipping notification a few hours ago that it left the seller facility. I'll post my thoughts if/when it gets here compared to my old G400S.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Thanks, the MX 518 looks awesome! Hopefully it comes to Canada soon.

Edit: poo poo there's a ton of boxes G400s mice on eBay. I guess I'll try the new one and if I don't like it order the old one :)

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 23, 2018

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
They're using the exact same shape they used for the old one, just with their updated HERO sensor.

Another goon bought some of those in-box ebay ones and found them to be fakes. See here

Audax fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 23, 2018

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lordfrikk posted:

Any opinions on the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Wireless set? The mouse is okay but I don't like it enough to buy something with a huge Windows logo on it. The keyboard was pretty nice.

I have this set in my desk at work and every few weeks I think I want to use it, then try it for an afternoon, then decide that no, I don't want to use it.

The mouse is huge but it's nice for my relatively large hands, but my trackball ends up being better. And the keyboard is a nice novelty until I want to reach the g key with my right hand or the h key with my left hand :/

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Thanks for the info but is something that encourages correct touch typing technique really something to be negative about?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

lordfrikk posted:

Thanks for the info but is something that encourages correct touch typing technique really something to be negative about?

It might be "correct" technique but if it's slowing you down or causing you errors, is it worth it? My typing style grew out of playing MUDs and other video games in my youth and it doesn't follow all the standard practices, but I can hit 140wpm in Typeracer so there's no particular reason I should relearn how to type.

Getting off topic for the mouse thread though so I'll leave it there.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I'm done buying $100 mice.

Y'all, it's good.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I should have bought one of those final mouse mice when I could. Now they are like 200-300 bux ;_;

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have a god drat full box of ~ $100 mice. Now that im moving I rediscovered them. Jesus what a waste of money.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
But enough about your posting

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
My OG razer abyssus (this guy: https://imgur.com/a/5c1lqZa) died on me after 8 years of abuse. I had developed a quick tilt and switch method with my thumb for DPI on the fly regarding the chat about dpi switches on the bottom.

I ended up buying the Abyssus v2 for immediate budget reasons and because I like symmetrical mice and am happy with it. Having the DPI switch behind the mouse wheel feels odd to me but I do like that it is a hell of a lot more convenient for games where you need to switch more often but I can see miss hitting it being an issue and having to cycle through dpi settings rather than directly setting with a switch has an impact.

If I didn't have to worry about the budget, I would have liked to maybe get a https://www.razer.com/ca-en/gaming-mice/razer-mamba-tournament-edition or https://www.hyperxgaming.com/en/mice/pulsefire-surge-rgb-gaming-mouse the latter being it just looks pretty and is symmetrical any have any experience with them?

I have a shoebox of OG http://www.dansdata.com/images/moremouses/wmo440.jpg that work perfectly in storage somewhere from a relative who got all the leftovers from the IT people after things got upgraded at their govt. job every year or so, but those are sacred and must not be used.

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 1, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Welp, 11 months into owning my g602 and the middle click is starting to fail

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Has anyone got feedback on the G Pro Wireless? It’s on sale for AUD$166 down from about $200-250 and I love the look, feature set and light weight of it but don’t know if the price premium truly justifies it over other offerings.

My important features are:
- light weight
- at least 1 button each side
- relatively clean form factor

I don’t care either way for wireless. This would be my first leap into it, but I don’t like the idea of screwing around with batteries constantly.

The original G pro, as I can tell, is actually quite a different mouse. The G502 doesn’t appeal, nor the G903. The 403, 603 and 703 look fine to me, but I don’t know whether their specs are that much worse.

Also, any input on the build quality would be appreciated. I realise it’s a relatively new mouse so I don’t expect people to have seen a lot of wear on it, but understanding general build quality would be nice.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

G pro wireless

Ok so lets start with a good source of info on this with this chill af mouse reviewer, Rocket Jump Ninja:

Top 10 2018 (guess who wins)
https://youtu.be/3_0UiUFwrXc

Actual review:
https://youtu.be/NeWRU92qMUQ

Don't recall other reviewers who handle it the way he does. He knows what he's talking about and has a ton of fps experience. He can explain it better than I especially regarding the sensor.

My personal experience with it loves this thing. It's weird how they managed to make a mouse that weighs only 77 grams while still remaining structurally sound. The buttons are all solid. It's fully ambidextrous, with the side buttons removable. They're all held in place with magnets but you wouldn't notice until you tried to pry them off.

The shape is nice. It fits my hand really well. I wouldn't like a g903 myself. Too bulky and heavy for me I guess.

Battery life is surprising when you add all the facts together. Since the battery is built in, you can't put your own brand in and use it for 200+ hours. Since its only 77 grams you already know its built in battery is teenie. And yet this mouse is efficient enough to last 60 hours if you disable the rgb lighting(which I hate personally). It also informs you of its rough charge level through some leds when you touch it for the first time in a while. And even when indicating itself as low it will still last 10+ hours so just enjoy doing what you do and plug it into your usb cord when you go to bed. You have to go out of your way to make this thing die in the middle of a frag session.

If you've never gone cordless yet, this will feel weird for the best of reasons. You will notice the lack of cable drag. It's liberating. Even if you think you won't care, you will notice this.

Sensor wise there isn't a lot to say, but that's a good thing. It goes up to 16k, has no quirks. It's as accurate as they come. If you miss a shot/click, it won't be because of this thing.

The wireless tech they use makes it as reliable and fast responding as a corded mouse. No problems with interference or fluctuating response times.

I don't know if I recommend it at the price I got it for everyone (150 euro) but that's simply because I decided to give it to myself as an expensive gift so I was willing to pay a premium. I also wonder how big of an upgrade this thing is when you already have something like a g305, which has a similar sensor, wireless tech and shape while having a much lower price.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Mindblast posted:

My personal experience

Thank you for this. That's bascially where I stand with it, having watched RJN's first review. I'm also in the same boat as you about the price and it being an expensive gift. Currently, I use a lovely dell 4-DPI-toggle 5 button mouse, so it'd be breaking new ground for me. This also makes me question whether I go to something halfway first.

One of my concerns is from the (no doubt small minority of) people who are reporting some build issues with it. I do wonder whether I wait a while and let the dust settle on that. Have you noticed anything?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'll give the skinny on my personal experience with the G502 after using it for about 8+ months now:

It's only 35 bucks at the moment but it's easily worth 90+ in my opinion. It is a mouse that sees a lot of use among esports pros - particularly in fortnite, as the multiple options for mouse-click bindings work fantastic for quick-building in that game. Its performance and accuracy in general is fantastic in all games though.

Also - don't be put off by its weird looks. This thing feels the most natural of any mouse I've owned, with a nice form-factor curve that feels good to rest my thumb on. There's also a rubber grip on the opposite side to curl your fingers easily around. This mouse won't slide around in your hand, and feels always very steady. The buttons have a nice form factor to them as well, and there's a groove that also adds a point of feel-reference to your palm - this is a mouse that feels generally very good to hold in your hand.

It also has a light display of 3 bars that indicate which of the 3 possible configurations you can customize the mouse in. It makes it easy for me to swap from my browsing to my fortnite keybinds/dpi to my general-gaming mousemode.

It also comes with some weights you can remove or add to the mouse to adjust it to the level of stability you feel comfortable with.

You seriously cannot go wrong with this mouse. Especially not at that price. Heck, I would even get it as a backup or secondary mouse at that price.

astral posted:

Some slight truth but only just so. I had some initial problems as the wheel seemed a bit sensitive at first but eventually you get a feel for it and it stops giving you problems.

The wheel itself has 3 separate click-bindings on it by the way. One each for clicking by pushing left and right on the wheel, and one for pushing down. I have bound my floors and ceilings in fortnite to the left and right clicks. For a little while I would accidentally place floors with a misclick but after a while I stopped having that problem after I got a feel for the wheel.

You can also 'unlock' the mousewheel and roll it freely - since it's made of metal it can get some crazy momentum when you spin it - meaning you can spin it once to speedily scroll up or down to the bottom of a large page with one movement of your finger. When I feel like scrolling a bit more naturally that way, I often unlock it while browsing sometimes without really thinking about it.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

Thank you for this. That's bascially where I stand with it, having watched RJN's first review. I'm also in the same boat as you about the price and it being an expensive gift. Currently, I use a lovely dell 4-DPI-toggle 5 button mouse, so it'd be breaking new ground for me. This also makes me question whether I go to something halfway first.

One of my concerns is from the (no doubt small minority of) people who are reporting some build issues with it. I do wonder whether I wait a while and let the dust settle on that. Have you noticed anything?

When RJN mentioned the overlapping buttons I immediately did a check on mine and noticed that I could make it happen if I really put my mind to it. In practice it didn't happen. But in theory I guess it could happen in the heat of the moment. Still, it's a premium product so I contacted Logitech support over it. Told them I really liked what I got overall, but that I did notice the build problem and how that's a bit of a pity in something that is considered top-of-the-line.

they couldn't have been more chill about it. They first offered a g903 since its the same value. But it's a different beast, and I really like this one so I declined that offer. They had no problem offering a new g pro wireless, they just weren't sure which batches were affected and which were not. They just needed proof of purchase, and requested I held on to the original hardware in case they had questions. A few days later a replacement came in.

That was weeks ago. They sent me a questionaire and I checked with them if they needed anything else because of how casual they were about it all. Nope, everything was in order now that I received my replacement mouse. I expected them to ask for the original. I still sort of do, so everything is neatly packed and ready. But all I'm getting is their newsletter. :shepface:

E: I can confirm, the proteus is good. If it werent for the fact that I'm completely hooked on being cordless, I'd still use it on and off. I had to get used to the thumb rest, though. I'm used to having my thumb partially rest on the mat for small aim corrections, and the proteus forced me to adjust.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 19, 2018