Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Risqué photo sparks unusual discussion of squirrel anatomy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

At National Geographic headquarters.

Look, African tribeswomen are passe! Human breasts just don’t do it for our readers, anymore. I need ideas, people! Yes, Sciuridae Bob? You have something for us?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Well, it’s a step up from COBOL.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaake!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Well, it’s a step up from COBOL.

:golfclap:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

They prayed for a sign, and they got it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I'm wondering if this is viral marketing for something, because this looks exactly like David Schwimmer.

https://i.imgur.com/HR6OLOJ.mp4

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

I'm wondering if this is viral marketing for something, because this looks exactly like David Schwimmer.

I'm not seeing it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

"most of us are so trained that we can see large nipples with the naked eye when a squirrel is about 30 to 40 feet into a tree"

:hmmyes:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to know the training course for spotting squirrel nips. How many hours is considered a reasonable amount of time here

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I wonder if they do blind tests, a kind of squirrel nip Braille

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Say Nothing posted:

Now I like David Schwimmer (was neutral before).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pookah posted:

Now I like David Schwimmer (was neutral before).

Yeah his response was perfect.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Say Nothing posted:

Netflix is suddenly recommending Friends to me.

edit:
That is obviously Russ.

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 13:25 on Oct 25, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/CNET/status/1054203130873892864

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

By the way I got to see Baahubali 1 and 2 and they're pretty great movies! Highly recommended from me, Guy Who Barely Watches Movies

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Edit: woops, wrong thread.

This is better:

https://twitter.com/odannyboy/status/1055494722397995008

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 04:03 on Oct 26, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Those look like real arrow decals to me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

Those look like real arrow decals to me.

Eh, decals are a post-processing effect anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Eh, decals are a post-processing effect anyway.

So to fix the situation, police will fire machine guns at the walls till the oldest decals are culled.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

So to fix the situation, police will fire machine guns at the walls till the oldest decals are culled.

Sounds about right.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

This probably isn't far off how many of the original constellations were named.

Beats the ones named after parts of a telescope.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
There is a very small chance this joke may not be true

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What, in a scientific context, is a constellation anyway? Like, why are NASA naming them? I thought they were just imaginary lines between stars that people just made up? What does it mean that NASA named new ones?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ptolemy recorded the OG constellations and there were three major expansion packs. (sort by the column “origin”)

Basically, everything Lacaille touched was bullshit.

Sculptor is a good example. In what universe does this look anything like a sculptor? It’s actually supposed to be a sculptor’s studio, but still.

Nope. Not buying it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The dippers and orion are the only ones that look like anything that I've personally seen.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Splicer posted:

There is a very small chance this joke may not be true

Unfortunately, it is not. There are no real and true things in this world, but for one shining moment I *believed*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I shouldn’t let everyone else off the hook. There would still be serious issues if Lacaille hadn’t emptied his junk drawer on the Southern Hemisphere.

There are too many lazy, serpentine constellations. Every constellation that’s supposed to depict a human does so in a radically different way. Do we really need two centaurs and nine birds?

Canes Venatici is an example of the absurd process that created the constellations. The area was originally described as Boötes’ (Greek for “plowman”) club, but in the twelfth century one guy misread the Arabic phrasing and “club” became “dogs”. That’s at least five canines in the sky, if you’re counting.

Milo and POTUS posted:

The dippers and orion are the only ones that look like anything that I've personally seen.

The Dippers aren’t named constellations in their own right. They’re supposed to be parts of two bears, and good luck seeing those.

Orion is good, as are Leo (lion), Cygnus (swan), and Canis Major (big dog).

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Oct 26, 2018

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

What, in a scientific context, is a constellation anyway? Like, why are NASA naming them? I thought they were just imaginary lines between stars that people just made up? What does it mean that NASA named new ones?

It means that it’s a PR stunt which is mostly what NASA does now to try and desperately get funding

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Constellations are space gerrymandering.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Constellations are space gerrymandering.

:hmmyes:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is gonna get real fun when we talk to aliens about what we call their stellar neighbourhood

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Milo and POTUS posted:

Cassiopeia is easy to spot as well but I wouldn't be able to tell you why a big 3/W/E/M in the sky is a lady without looking it up.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is gonna get real fun when we talk to aliens about what we call their stellar neighbourhood

Let’s see, you live in the...

*checks star map*

“lovely Dumb Fucko Constelation Where Your Butts Smell and You Don’t Clean Your Butts” hey wow I can really see it!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Even more fun when we find out what they call Earth, or our sun.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The devil's rear end in a top hat probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/revolverunit/status/1055741100818722817?s=21