Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

sex pistols is inherently a lot better than emperor, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sex Pistols is hampered by Mista's superstitions and the fact that he needs to use an actual firearm with it as opposed to Hol Horse who can just spawn his gun whenever he wants to and can spawn and despawn the bullets as necessary.

And then you've got Manhattan Transfer who potentially has the greatest range of all 3 but is hampered by its user needing an actual firearm and the ability to see his own stand so that he can redirect his bullets.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wasn't Manhattan Transfer's user loving blind?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
the gently caress is up with part 6 where a stand like Manhattan Transfer is actually quite low key

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yup

Dude's blind. Also buff. And I forgot about the fact that the manga just shows him buck naked so we can see that he has a tattoo of earth on his back, idk if it's meant to be a reference to his devotion to DIO or what but either way there he is, just a blind guy who needs to be able to sense his stand's location so he can aim at it and redirect bullets while everyone else is getting digested by white snake's whatever-the-gently caress white goo illusion stuff

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

avdol, the guy who only ever lost fights because he was helping or sacrificing himself for others and never actually outmatched. a true idiot that guy

the only people he managed to outwit were polnareff aka the most easily-outwitted man in the world, and that guy who didn't even know he was alive(and also polnareff again)

though in his defense that's more a consequence of him being hard to write

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Hol Horse is a total moron. His stand is perfectly suited to quickly kill people from a distance, from a place they can't even see, but instead he decides to show himself.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dragonwagon posted:

Hol Horse is a total moron. His stand is perfectly suited to quickly kill people from a distance, from a place they can't even see, but instead he decides to show himself.

That's what he did the second time, so at least he learns.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
can't wait for gun banana tomorrow

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Electric Phantasm posted:

That's what he did the second time, so at least he learns.

At least his final plan wasn't DIRECTLY his fault for failing

Just indirectly incredibly his fault.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my prediction for this week's ep is that black sabbath finishes up and there's no ed because it'll just play credits over giorno talking to polpo and him getting iced at the end

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The ED song will stay play though.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I've been rereading Steel Ball Run and while it is the greatest story of all time, it occured to me that Gyro shouldn't have been able to see stands while he didn't have Scan, but there's at least one point where he clearly does. Hope somebody got fired for that blunder

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, at one point Johnny says (or finds out, whatever) that he needs his corpse part to use Tusk, but then he gives them all away at the end of Sugar Mountain and he can still do it, so that's not the only (really hate this phrase) plot hole in Part 7. Just ignore it, it's fine.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
You could maybe argue that just having the corpse parts at all gave them permanent powers.

Or Araki just didn't care.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah it's more that coming into contact with the Corpse usually alters you forever. Mountain Tim never had a Corpse Part but just getting near one gave him a Stand

I think there's also bit where Hot Pants leaves one vertebra of the spine inside Johnny specifically so he could still use Tusk but whatever its Jesus' body, i really dont care it's not consistent

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Jesus changed water into wine, he could fuckin change his mind about whether someone gets a stand permanently or not.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
That I would be willing to believe (despite the whole thing about Johnny losing Tusk along with the corpse parts one time and not the other), but according to the wiki he could see stands even before he got Scan the first time. Although it's the wiki so that may or may not be true. I'm not gonna get mad about Plot Holes in Jo Jo cause it's not a big deal but it was like the last rule that I thought was never broken

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

everything surrounding the corpse parts was weird and i just chalk everything up to exposure to them in some form

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I think they could see Tomb of the Boom but I haven't read SBR in a grip.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
On a side note, even though I had recently been thinking about how lovely Hot Pants's death was, and I knew it was coming up, I still missed it when I actually read it. Pour one out for the coolest lady, she deserved better

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Johnny Joestar posted:

everything surrounding the corpse parts was weird and i just chalk everything up to exposure to them in some form

basically in the SBR universe being around Weird Supernatural poo poo long enough gives you a Stand, as long as you're homoerotic and/or evil enough

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Wasn't there something in part 3 about how it's possible for some stands that are powerful enough to be seen? Or am I misremembering

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Wasn't there something in part 3 about how it's possible for some stands that are powerful enough to be seen? Or am I misremembering

stands are invisible unless their power specifically requires them to be visible, or they're like The Fool and make themselves out of physical matter like sand or whatever

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 26, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yeah, stands that are solely spectral apparitions are only visible to other stand users but stands that specifically take on some kind of form or inhabit a specific object are visible to everyone. So Geb and Aqua Necklace are visible to everyone, but the actual face part of Aqua Necklace isn't, then there are stands that bind to a physical object or are represented in a physical way, like Surface, Love Deluxe, Atom Heart Father, Stray Cat, Superfly, Strength, Wheel of Fortune, The Fool, Yellow Temperance, Ebony Devil, Tenor Sax, etc etc etc

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Oh really? I thought there was some offhand mention of it that never appeared again. Maybe it was in a different manga like HxH...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope Jesus' body comes back in Part 8.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

I hope Part 9 is about Jesus.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

It...did?

Unless you mean back again

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Expect My Mom posted:

It...did?

Yeah, his body should still be in Japan after Johnny brought it here and the equivalent exchange stuff with the Rokokaka seems kind of similar to what the body was doing in Part 7 on a much smaller scale.

I just want my friend Jesus to give out more advice.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Nah the US Government recovered Jesus soon after Johnny died. Though yeah I'm also certain it's the cause of things like the Wall Eyes and its largely been left unsaid

I probably wouldn't like it in other media but the unexplainable corpse of a dead God causing literally anything to happen is a good plot point imo

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Yeah, his body should still be in Japan after Johnny brought it here and the equivalent exchange stuff with the Rokokaka seems kind of similar to what the body was doing in Part 7 on a much smaller scale.

I just want my friend Jesus to give out more advice.

Wasn't the corpse also the source of the stand in the tree on Shakedown Street?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Expect My Mom posted:

It...did?

Jesu's back

Back again

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Part 9 should be a retelling of the new testament starring Jesus and the Apostle John Joestar

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

goth smoking cloves posted:

Part 9 should be a retelling of the new testament starring Jesus and the Apostle John Joestar

You don't even need it to be an apostle. 1st century Jews had patronymic names, and "Jesus" is just "Yeshua" (Joshua) but subject to linguistic drift and transliterated between Greek and Latin etc. Jesus' actual name would have probably "Joshua ben-Josef," or "Joshua, son of Joseph."

I'm positive if someone explained this to Araki he'd be like, "cool, alright. Jesus is a Jojo now."

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 26, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's no Zipper Man.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shadow Sabbath is a pretty good name tbh

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Shadow Sabbath owns actually

I assume it ends with Polpos death?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nope, it ends with him and Bucciarati entering the room where the gang is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
god hell yes

next week is drinking piss and moody blues